The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old October 22, 2018, 23:03   #1
Dean762
Registered

FALaholic #: 79471
Front sight change out on the FN49?

I have a nice Lux that is shooting about 12" hi at 100 yards. With a low 6:00 hold I can get it on my target. Weapon shoots like a dream but has this one issue.

Anybody had experience with changing the front sight blade? Was wondering if there was a tool? How difficult is it drifting the blade out of the dovetail? I see GPC has different heights of blades so of course I would need a taller one. Current blade is a 6.2.

Thanks in advance for any assist.

Dean
Dean762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2018, 05:29   #2
Orion the Hunter
Registered

FALaholic #: 62009
Matter of fact...

I have a Egyptian FN49 that I purchased off of GB several years ago. The description said “Everything in excellent condition, no cracks in the stock etc”. Ya, I got hosed onthat deal to say the least! There was cracks in every section of the stocks, the firing pin was broke, the magazine was bent, the Front Sight Ears were ground off....to say nothing that the Front Sight itself was bent! (The list goes on and on).

ANYWAY..back to the Front Sight. I found an AK47 Front Sight Tool (C-Clamp Style) that I had in my stash in which I replaced the guts out with a bolt from Home Depot. I ground down that bolt to a “dull point” so it rested on the base of the front siight (yet still missed the dovetail base). Next, I installed the clamp and threaded in the bolt...it worked like a charm both removing and installing. Granted it definitely reeks of homemade...but works!

If you get if you get in a jam, shoot me a PM and you are free to borrow my contraption as it actually worked like it was suppose to....
Orion the Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2018, 06:20   #3
Goose52
Registered

FALaholic #: 4994
There are two parts to this problem - getting the front sight out, and finding the necessary combination of parts to get you that 12 inch correction.

On getting the sight out, Gunplumber might chime in as well as I believe he has changed out front sights - don't know what tool he uses. Personally, on the few occasions where I have tried to drift out the front sight with a brass punch - the sight has refused to move and I didn't want to attack it with too much vigor...

On the 12" correction - mathematically, you would need an 8 or 8.1 front sight. The highest ever made was a 7.8 and I see that the highest available at Numrich is a 7.6. If you plug in that 7.6, you will still be about 2.5" high but that's better than 12".

Another possible option is a different rear sight aperture as they were made in at least 4 different heights. Take a look at the front surface of you rear sight aperture - there will be a number on the right side of the part (left side as you are looking at it). If it is a #1, then you have no options here as that is the lowest aperture. If it is a #2 (or higher), you have the option of getting some correction by changing to a lower number aperture.
Goose52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2018, 13:55   #4
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Most of my FN49's shoot LOW. I have to use the 300m setting to be on at 100.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2018, 21:47   #5
Dean762
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
Most of my FN49's shoot LOW. I have to use the 300m setting to be on at 100.
In that case you would have the option of lightly filing the front sight post.
Old October 23, 2018, 21:57   #6
Dean762
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose52 View Post
There are two parts to this problem - getting the front sight out, and finding the necessary combination of parts to get you that 12 inch correction.

On getting the sight out, Gunplumber might chime in as well as I believe he has changed out front sights - don't know what tool he uses. Personally, on the few occasions where I have tried to drift out the front sight with a brass punch - the sight has refused to move and I didn't want to attack it with too much vigor...

On the 12" correction - mathematically, you would need an 8 or 8.1 front sight. The highest ever made was a 7.8 and I see that the highest available at Numrich is a 7.6. If you plug in that 7.6, you will still be about 2.5" high but that's better than 12".

Another possible option is a different rear sight aperture as they were made in at least 4 different heights. Take a look at the front surface of you rear sight aperture - there will be a number on the right side of the part (left side as you are looking at it). If it is a #1, then you have no options here as that is the lowest aperture. If it is a #2 (or higher), you have the option of getting some correction by changing to a lower number aperture.

Its an interesting idea. I looked and it reads 2. Have you changed out the rear sight before? Was it difficult? Can they be had? So I would need a 1 then?

Cant tell for sure but its possible the front sight may have been filed. In which case the number may be moot.
Old October 23, 2018, 22:04   #7
Dean762
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion the Hunter View Post
I have a Egyptian FN49 that I purchased off of GB several years ago. The description said “Everything in excellent condition, no cracks in the stock etc”. Ya, I got hosed onthat deal to say the least! There was cracks in every section of the stocks, the firing pin was broke, the magazine was bent, the Front Sight Ears were ground off....to say nothing that the Front Sight itself was bent! (The list goes on and on).

ANYWAY..back to the Front Sight. I found an AK47 Front Sight Tool (C-Clamp Style) that I had in my stash in which I replaced the guts out with a bolt from Home Depot. I ground down that bolt to a “dull point” so it rested on the base of the front siight (yet still missed the dovetail base). Next, I installed the clamp and threaded in the bolt...it worked like a charm both removing and installing. Granted it definitely reeks of homemade...but works!

If you get if you get in a jam, shoot me a PM and you are free to borrow my contraption as it actually worked like it was suppose to....
God, dont get me started about GB. Most of my experiences have been fine but a few that were very bad.

What an interesting and creative idea on the front sight blade . Thanks. When you replaced the sight was there a bevel in either direction? In other words did the blade need to go in a specific direction?

Thanks to everybody for the kind responses.

Last edited by Dean762; October 24, 2018 at 11:40.
Old October 24, 2018, 03:44   #8
Goose52
Registered

FALaholic #: 4994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean762 View Post
Its an interesting idea. I looked and it reads 2. Have you changed out the rear sight before? Was it difficult? Can they be had? So I would need a 1 then?

Cant tell for sure but its possible the front sight may have been filed. In which case the number may be moot.
Well, the good news is that the rear sight aperture is easy to remove - just remove both windage screws and slide the aperture out of it's dovetail (from either direction). It it's tight, get some solvent in there to loosen up any dried grease). The bad news is that going from a #2 down to a #1 will only get you about 1" of correction.

As you say, if the front sight blade HAS been filed, then the mathematics there go out the window until you confirm whether that blade is still 6.2mm. If you have a dial caliper, use the depth rod and try to measure from the top, rear of the front sight blade, down to the bottom of the part (not including the dovetail). That will give you the actual height of the sight. After converting that inch-dimension to millimeters, you'll know if you still have a 6.2 or not.
Goose52 is online now   Reply With Quote