Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 1911 Files

Notices

Old April 19, 2018, 20:57   #1
Slaughter
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 73180
Springfield 1911 "Loaded" incoming next Tues

It has the features I'd normally put onto a standard Gov't Model - a lot like my Sig 1911 RCS (long story but I gotta move the Sig out of CA to Arizona Free State)

Springfield comes with full length recoil spring guide rod and I have never liked the idea of requiring a tool (Allen wrench in this case) to field strip. Some reviews also talk about it loosening after a few hundred rounds. A normal session for me is AT LEAST 200 rounds.

Any of you have experience with full-length guide rod and standard recoil spring on same gun to be able to compare? I want to ditch the full length guide rod and go back to standard Gov't type. It's a cheap retro-fit with Wilson's hardware.

Any reason I'll REGRET ditching the full length guide rod?
Slaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018, 01:11   #2
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
It has the features I'd normally put onto a standard Gov't Model - a lot like my Sig 1911 RCS (long story but I gotta move the Sig out of CA to Arizona Free State)

Springfield comes with full length recoil spring guide rod and I have never liked the idea of requiring a tool (Allen wrench in this case) to field strip. Some reviews also talk about it loosening after a few hundred rounds. A normal session for me is AT LEAST 200 rounds.

Any of you have experience with full-length guide rod and standard recoil spring on same gun to be able to compare? I want to ditch the full length guide rod and go back to standard Gov't type. It's a cheap retro-fit with Wilson's hardware.

Any reason I'll REGRET ditching the full length guide rod?
Not a one that I can think of. I had a 1911 set up with a full-length guide rod back in the late 80s, because they were supposed to be cool. First time I had to disassemble it away from home, that shxt went bye-bye.
Old April 20, 2018, 16:03   #3
Steve in Allentown, PA
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 30456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
Any of you have experience with full-length guide rod and standard recoil spring on same gun to be able to compare?
If you're looking for more weight out front to help reduce muzzle flip then a full length tungsten guide rod https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...prod41670.aspx can be useful.

A full length guide rod will prevent you from doing a common malfunction reduction procedure where the bottom portion of the muzzle (below the barrel) is pushed forcefully against an object to cycle the slide.
Steve in Allentown, PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018, 09:44   #4
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Seems to me that the FL Guide Rod came into being about the same time as the Double Recoil Spring setup. Wither this was a good idea itself or not I don't know, (I removed mine) but The Guide Rod was necessary with this system.

The double spring system I removed also had a Two-piece guide rod that was threaded in the middle. This system was a PITA that kept coming apart and was difficult to disassemble. I'm not sure who made it as it came on a Colt series 70 that I purchased used. One piece Rods haven't been as much of a hassle.

There is no reason not to convert your 1911 to the older Plug and Bushing system with a standard single recoil spring if you wish.

On a 1911 used for combat or survival, the simpler disassembly and being able to cycle the Slide by pushing against a hard object would be an advantage.
Someone once made a holster with a shelf that could be used to chamber a round with the hand drawing the pistol. I suppose it would have been useful if the user was required to carry the pistol with an empty chamber for some reason.

Some of my 1911's have FL Guide Rods because they came that way and work pretty well so far. Unless they give me trouble, I leave them. I seldom Field Strip a 1911 at the range and usually have one or more backups.

Last edited by MAINER; April 21, 2018 at 09:57.
MAINER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018, 07:29   #5
Slaughter
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Little brother, big brother.

The Springfield seems less sensitive to bullet types (230 RN, 200 SWC - jacketed or lead) or magazines than does the Sig.

I've only slow-fed different rounds in the shop to observe my reloads out of the magazines and up/over the ramps. Looks good.

The proof is in the pudding. Wifey and I are going paper-punching this Sunday.

Will also build my own Kydex holster next week.

I already swapped out the full length guide rod for a Wilson's government-type recoil system. Personal preference and cheap mod to make. I will keep the full length guide rod in the case on range day in case my mood changes.

Last edited by Slaughter; April 26, 2018 at 18:51.
Old May 02, 2018, 07:33   #6
Slaughter
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Not exactly a range report with pics. Weather has been pure shit outdoors since the Springfield became legal - so went to indoor range for feed-and-function check with a few different magazines. Day 1 - took every reload I threw at her. Didn't bother with light loads.

Day 2 - yesterday. I installed the Trijicon front sight off of my Sig 1911 since it has the red highlight and is easier to see in dim light. Did sight adjusting for 3 - 7 yards.

This weekend the wifey and I are taking again Chuck Taylor's intermediate defensive handgun course. Yeah, we already took the course but it is always a good idea to repeat, practice, get more learnin' in! For one flat fee, we can take and re-take all Chuck Taylor's handgun courses.

The gun is ready for school this weekend. MUCH better than my Sig-Sauer 1911 I'm sad to say. Sig is very picky of what you feed - typical of a "custom" gun with tighter chamber. Works bitchen with factory loads but hyper-sensitive to crimp and length.

Gotta treat a woman with respect who's a better shot than you are!

Anybody serious about tactical/defensive handgun operations should consider his series:
http://www.chucktayloramericansmalla...m/handgun.html

Some of his drills are challenging but really improve skills - like shooting from cover. Cardboard is cut with shapes and you have 2 seconds to engage your target from the moment he calls the shape of the aperture you have to shoot through and blows the whistle (pic from his site) - and engaging multiple targets from a vehicle with partner - practicing communication in high stress. Urban simulations. RAPID shot assessment under stress. Good skills to develop and practice.

Last edited by Slaughter; May 02, 2018 at 08:31.