Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old March 09, 2018, 19:27   #1
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Wolff mag springs- any good?

How well do the Wolff FAL magazine springs work?

I have a half dozen magazines that could use new springs.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018, 16:09   #2
Boomerdownsir
Registered

FALaholic #: 77258
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
How well do the Wolff FAL magazine springs work?

I have a half dozen magazines that could use new springs.
I know it doesn't answer your question, but I've had good luck with their other products.
Boomerdownsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018, 16:42   #3
Trypcil
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
I've been looking at Wolf springs as well - also thinking about the Falcon springs and followers. There's some used metric springs about, absolutely no Inch springs I can find, some alleged L1a1 followers, no distances plates in sight - slim pickins. The Falcons are cheaper than the Wolf's - but I hear satisfaction is dependent on whether inch or metric, and which follower pattern combo - and thats so for both spring makers! Roll the dice!?!

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The point of the journey, is not to arrive..." Hexabuzz.
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018, 16:55   #4
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
I got some Wolff extra strength FAL mag springs when I was having trouble with a Cenrury Arms reciever. The problem was bolt over next up failure to feed. It of course had nothing to do with the magazines or the springs, it was the reciever.
What I discovered with the extra strength springs is they would put so much pressure pushing up the recoil spring was having a hard time stripping the next round up and into the chamber. As an added bonus it caused the magazines to bulge, not good.
If they have standard rate springs I would say go for it just not the extra strength rated springs.

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018, 22:04   #5
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
I think sage makes good points. Extra strength or non milspec spring rates are often a source of trouble. Stick with milspec. Avoid the Falcons - while I have no experience with their mag springs, all their other FAL springs have proven to be out of spec and often problematic.

Again, while I have never used Wolff mag springs, all their other spring products that I have tried were excellent, I would expect the standard rate mag springs to be fine.

Just out of curiosity, why are you replacing the springs ?

I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.

The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it. Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018, 12:41   #6
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 1877
Is Falcon still around? They made the best springs for FALs including mag springs.

The human race is not the pinnacle of evolution. We are but one evolutionary out come.
gunnut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018, 13:27   #7
Bertellione
Registered

FALaholic #: 66658
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut1 View Post
Is Falcon still around? They made the best springs for FALs including mag springs.
LMAO I hope that was a joke. If not I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Everything I bought from them when I first got into the FAL was $hit and I bought all the parts they had for a para build due to not wanting to wait for parts from DSA. Point of the story I replaced every Falcon part a costly lesson cheaper price = $hit product and they have $hit customer service.

CAUTION Anyone just getting into the FAL stay clear of Falcon parts.
Old March 13, 2018, 13:33   #8
Trypcil
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
I have had good luck so far with Piston springs from Falcon - just bought some Mag springs and followers from them - hopefully I don't get negatively 'experienced'. Later then!

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The point of the journey, is not to arrive..." Hexabuzz.
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018, 13:40   #9
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertellione View Post
LMAO I hope that was a joke. If not I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Everything I bought from them when I first got into the FAL was $hit and I bought all the parts they had for a para build due to not wanting to wait for parts from DSA. Point of the story I replaced every Falcon part a costly lesson cheaper price = $hit product and they have $hit customer service.

CAUTION Anyone just getting into the FAL stay clear of Falcon parts.
No joke. I have Falcon springs in all of my FALs and a para set with carrier in my para. I have had no problems with any of them. When I replaced the old springs with the Falcon's my guns functioned better and felt like new. Of course that was probably q
10 years ago and their quality could have changed bit I doubt it.

The human race is not the pinnacle of evolution. We are but one evolutionary out come.
gunnut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018, 12:06   #10
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I never had good luck with Falcon springs.

I'm having some bolt-over-base issues with two guns and a handful of well-used magazines. I can't see the receiver impeding the feeding and the feed lips are smooth, so I'm thinking the springs could stand to be replaced. I'm wary of the +5%, though. Might grab spring one to test first.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
Old March 14, 2018, 14:15   #11
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
IIRC, it's been well established that Falcon springs are markedly understrength and that the steel used is not an ideal choice for spring usage. Years ago I tried the Falcon fcg springs and had immediate problems.

Since the FAL will run with no piston spring at all, I guess it's okay to use a Falcon spring there

AS far as mag springs go, I've never had a quality OEM or milsurp spring fail due to fatigue. The old story about mag springs fatiguing from being stored loaded for extended periods is a myth, provided that they were quality springs in the first place. Corrosion or physical damage would be about the only reasons I can think of where they would need replacing. JMHO

I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.

The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it. Robert E. Lee

Last edited by J. Armstrong; March 14, 2018 at 14:20.
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018, 14:20   #12
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
I've had good luck with these.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/348070A

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018, 11:44   #13
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

YH: You rock.

J: A couple of these mags were used hard, so the springs were probably cycled a lot. Either way, I'll get some spares cuz I like spares.

Old March 15, 2018, 19:49   #14
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
YH: You rock.

J: A couple of these mags were used hard, so the springs were probably cycled a lot. Either way, I'll get some spares cuz I like spares.
The last ones I got from them were all nos condition, still with cosmoline dried on'em.

Numrich is luck of tha draw, but these were fine.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018, 21:01   #15
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
I've had good luck with these.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/348070A
Shit I can get decent mags for 2x the price. I never had issues with mag springs.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote