Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Glock Files

Notices

Old April 25, 2018, 18:51   #1
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
Glock barrel recommendations

Recently I adopted a Glock 17 Gen4.

Accuracywise I think it leaves a little bit to be desired.

I shot a buddy’s 21, and it seems to be lots more accurate with 230gr. FMJ.

Are there any alternatives to a standard Glock barrel that are more accurate and have a drop in fit?

I am just looking for a black standard version, not threaded, stock length.

I know full well that the Glock is not a match grade gun, but I would like to squeeze a little better accuracy out of mine.
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018, 20:09   #2
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbat60 View Post

I shot a buddy’s 21, and it seems to be lots more accurate with 230gr. FMJ.

Are there any alternatives to a standard Glock barrel that are more accurate and have a drop in fit?

I am just looking for a black standard version, not threaded, stock length.

I know full well that the Glock is not a match grade gun, but I would like to squeeze a little better accuracy out of mine.

What kind of accuracy are you getting? I have a 22 and a 19. Both were accurate right out of the box. I got a good deal on a Bar-Sto barrel for the 22 and the groups tightened up a little more, not a whole bunch though. Have you tried different ammo to see if it might be that?
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018, 20:23   #3
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Lonewolf barrels, standard and conversion, have worked well for me.
I use them to convert EDC Glock's to 357 Sig.
If ya gonna shoot 9mm, then put that sucker on steroids!

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018, 21:22   #4
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
I find my Glocks plenty accurate as-is but as far as aftermarket barrels are concerned I’ve had lots of luck with KKM in my Glock 21 and Glock 22. I use them for shooting up lead reloads. Extremely accurate barrels in my mildly-capable hands.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018, 22:34   #5
moonbat60
Registered

Granted, I am not a competition shooter, but my 17 gets about a 5-6" circle at 25yds.

They don't hold up with my SIG 226 or my BHP. With both of them, I can do better.

Headshots on a Q target at 25yds with the Glock, close to impossible.

Both my SIG and BHP are running with stock barrels.

I do shoot reloads, but not through the Glock.
Old April 25, 2018, 22:57   #6
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Granted, I am not a competition shooter, but my 17 gets about a 5-6" circle at 25yds.

They don't hold up with my SIG 226 or my BHP. With both of them, I can do better.

If ya getting head shots with your Sig and BHP and not your Glocks, then that Glock trigger is getting to ya would be my guess.

Old April 25, 2018, 23:27   #7
moonbat60
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
If ya getting head shots with your Sig and BHP and not your Glocks, then that Glock trigger is getting to ya would be my guess.
The Glock trigger is with me a love / hate relationship. The trigger on mine is absolutely stock.
Old April 25, 2018, 23:59   #8
Scout10
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80494
My G19 Gen4 has a Wilson Combat barrel that slightly tightened the groups.
My G17 Gen4 is bone stock and the groups are AS TIGHT as the WC barrel.

Luck of the draw ? ?

Question.. have you shot it from a supported rest, to remove most of the
human elements first ? ?

if you did can we see the target ?
Scout10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018, 00:49   #9
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
The Glock trigger is with me a love / hate relationship. The trigger on mine is absolutely stock.
Like many folks, transitioning from 1911's and BHP's to the Glock drove me nuts.
Went from hitting anything I aimed at, normal head shots, to maybe hitting a mountain!!!

Finally got pissed off, packed up 600 rounds of 9mm and off to the range I went with a Glock 17.

When the ammo ran out, had a nice neat three inch hole in the head of the target.

For me, it was getting used to that damnable trigger and that took work and a lot of ammo.

Now can go back and forth, no real issues.

Had an older black Glock 22 frame, and mounted a .22 conversion unit on it.
That helped a lot with the trigger as well.
And far cheaper!

Old April 26, 2018, 18:03   #10
Yard Sale
Registered

FALaholic #: 72644
KKM

But I really doubt you are out-shooting the barrel. Use good sights, good ammo, and good trigger control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRC6cU1QnzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s2fKbyhs80
Yard Sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018, 19:09   #11
perryturner
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6271
[QUOTE=moonbat60;4574518]Recently I adopted a Glock 17 Gen4.

I shot a buddy’s 21, and it seems to be lots more accurate with 230gr. FMJ./QUOTE]I wonder if the larger grip size of the 21 works better for you.
perryturner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018, 19:31   #12
chino*74
Registered

FALaholic #: 75409
Mastering the Glock trigger can take awhile, for me it did. I am shooting much better now. Groups R better too. My Glocks R stock except for grip tape & night sights.
Old April 26, 2018, 21:11   #13
yarro
Registered

FALaholic #: 28278
My large frame glocks all shoot better than my small frame ones. I have a Lonewolf 9x25 Dillon barrel that shoots just fine. My KKM compensated in .357 sig shoots better than the stock one. I have a compensated .40S&W barrel from someone else than shoots the same as the stock one with the exception of being able to shoot faster, shoot cast bullets and not base bulge cases with max loads.

I second a trigger job. I also like to replace the trigger with a metal flat face one for better trigger feel. Still shoot my CZ shadow tactical, 40P, and RAMI better than my Glock 17C, 22, or 31. If I really concentrate, I can do as well with the G20 and G21SF. Most of it is the looser slide to frame fit on many Glocks and the trigger is harder to master.

-yarro
Old April 27, 2018, 09:23   #14
moonbat60
Registered

[QUOTE=perryturner;4574910]
Quote:

I shot a buddy’s 21, and it seems to be lots more accurate with 230gr. FMJ./QUOTE]I wonder if the larger grip size of the 21 works better for you.
Probably so. My buddy owning that 21 also owns a 17 Gen 4 and he says his 21 outshoots his 17 all the time.

We both got paws on the bigger side of things.

I already put the M size grip adapter / beavertail on mine.
Old April 28, 2018, 01:57   #15
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Quote:

I went to a training class put on by Action Target a few years ago. One of the instructors was a guy by the name of Bank Miller. I think at the time I took the class from him he was close to 70 and that was about 5 or 6 years ago. As it was his last class that he was planning on teaching ever and some of the other instructors wanted to send him off with a good party and by his own admission he had way to much to drink the night before and probably wasn’t at his best. He had us do a drill he called the “one hole drill”. He showed us how to do it with a G-23 he borrowed from a student. He started at 5 yards putting 5 rounds through the same hole. He proceeded to back up 5 yards at a time doing the same thing 5 rounds through the same hole. When he got to 25 yards he finally had his groups open up to the point one could see a 3 round cloverleaf. It’s a drill that I’ve incorporated into my own training which has help decrease my group size greatly. If I focus I can get one hole groups at 5 and 10 yards, much past that they open up to about an inch to inch and one half.

Like Yellowhand said, get to the range practice, practice, practice, practice, practice. When you get tried of practice, do some more practice. Dry fire the hell out of the pistol at home just make sure you have unloaded the gun first and put all ammo in another room. Practice the trigger reset on the Glock too, it will help reduce your group size too.

I do have a Lonewolf barrel for my G35 in 9mm mainly because it came with the gun when I bought it. I don’t see any accuracy gains with it over the stock barrel in my G17. I think people read more into this than there really is.

As far as reloads are concerned, I’ve shot lots of reloads through the 10 plus Glocks I’ve owned. The only problem I’ve ever had came in my G20. I think the bullet got pushed back when it was chambered which caused an over pressure. Only damage done was to the mag release and slide stop were both broken.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2018, 07:56   #16
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
I've been a Glock guy forever. G27, G30, G21SF, G41, G17, G43. All of them but one have been extremely accurate. For whatever reason, that G21SF just would not shoot well. I fought it for some time thinking it was me, but finally sold it.

I never did try to swap barrels or anything to improve it, but it is possible even with Glock to get a lemon here and there. Have you gone to a rental range to try a few other guns?
Old April 28, 2018, 08:35   #17
moonbat60
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
I've been a Glock guy forever. G27, G30, G21SF, G41, G17, G43. All of them but one have been extremely accurate. For whatever reason, that G21SF just would not shoot well. I fought it for some time thinking it was me, but finally sold it.

I never did try to swap barrels or anything to improve it, but it is possible even with Glock to get a lemon here and there. Have you gone to a rental range to try a few other guns?
I am looking into it.

Years ago I had a 1911 that also did not want to group for shit. I changed the barrel to an Ed Brown with a link and a bushing, and that did it. I still got it.
Old April 28, 2018, 08:59   #18
moonbat60
Registered

I have several handguns myself in 9mm: Browning and Argy HiPower, Springfield XD service .40/9mm, SIG226 and the Glock 17 Gen4, so there is no real shortage.

The most used one of that bunch is the Argy HiPower, an M95 classic fullsize, Mk3. That thing has got well over 7,000 rounds through it and is still doing a fine job with all bullet weights.

I plan on doing some testing with different ammo. I plan on buying a box of each 115gr, 124gr and 147gr FMJ, and using 3 targets at distances of 5, 10, 15 and 20yds.

Each target will get 10 rounds each at each distance.
Old April 28, 2018, 11:58   #19
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I have several handguns myself in 9mm: Browning and Argy HiPower, Springfield XD service .40/9mm, SIG226 and the Glock 17 Gen4, so there is no real shortage.

The most used one of that bunch is the Argy HiPower, an M95 classic fullsize, Mk3. That thing has got well over 7,000 rounds through it and is still doing a fine job with all bullet weights.

I plan on doing some testing with different ammo. I plan on buying a box of each 115gr, 124gr and 147gr FMJ, and using 3 targets at distances of 5, 10, 15 and 20yds.

Each target will get 10 rounds each at each distance.
That Argy HP semi clone is something nice, got one myself, damn fine under the radar pistol, dead accurate and reliable.
Kick myself for not picking up the short top half when available.

You'll get it figured out.
A five inch @25 line is still plenty good enough, if dead reliable, with with no further bad habits.
Unless you're shooting at the wee little people wearing tiny green suits, with them, go center mass, empty magazine, then run for your life before they caste a bad spell on ya and steal your gold!!!!!

Old April 28, 2018, 15:20   #20
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Here are a ton of replacement barrels for ya to choose from.
Good prices too!

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/c-...0|Ge545|Ge361|

Old April 28, 2018, 18:59   #21
moonbat60
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Here are a ton of replacement barrels for ya to choose from.
Good prices too!

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/c-...0|Ge545|Ge361|
Thanks for the link. I wonder if they are any good.

An FFL (and buddy) said that he could get me an Alphawolf non threaded for $130 out the door.
Old April 28, 2018, 19:13   #22
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:

An FFL (and buddy) said that he could get me an Alphawolf non threaded for $130 out the door.
I suspect, from the appearance and price, that these are lone wolf barrels.

As in, they look just like the several I have here.

With computer programing all the cutting of these barrels, they all are pretty much identical except for finish and PRICE.

Insert steel, set computer, out pops a barrel.

Had a friend pay three times what a Lonewolf barrel would cost him, when it showed up, he brought it over.

They shipped it, in the exact same box, just put a sticker with their big name on it.
Pulled out one of mine, things had the exact same machine marks on them under the throat!!!!!

He sent it back for a full refund.

Old April 28, 2018, 19:15   #23
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:

Buy it direct????

http://glockparts.com/Products.aspx?CAT=686

Old May 10, 2018, 19:02   #24
moonbat60
Registered

I got as of today a Storm Lake stainless steel barrel in it.

Accuracy went up a couple notches, not just throwing lead downrange.

I guess one of these days I will take out the trigger assembly and see what can be done there.

Storm Lake really did a great job on the barrel, even with cheap CCI Blazer aluminum case 115gr. FMJ I get right better accuracy. The std Glock barrel was slinging it all over the place.

I noticed that the Storm Lake barrel also locks up tighter and got considerably less wiggle than the Glock factory.
Old May 22, 2018, 15:34   #25
Detroit-1
Registered

FALaholic #: 78927
I just got a used 17 gen 5. Clock went to lands and grooves on the gen5. Are they better with the new barrel?
Detroit-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2018, 22:05   #26
moonbat60
Registered

Though I did not have the opportunity to test it too much, I noticed some improvement in accuracy.

I want to test it one of these days with bullet weights from 115 - 147gr.
Old June 01, 2018, 23:20   #27
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Check out Battle Arms Development's website. I should be a dealer soon. Working on nailing down details now. In addition to high end AR parts have a very uniquely machined Glock barrel.

https://www.battlearmsdevelopment.co...tride-threaded
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 09, 2018, 08:04   #28
moonbat60
Registered

Thanks, huey, but I already got mine.
Old June 09, 2018, 09:29   #29
judgedredd
Registered

FALaholic #: 79768
I replaced my glock 17 and glock 34 with KKM, so far It has performed flawlessly with factory and reloads. I also have a 40/9 conversion barrel for my Glock 23 from Lone Wolf
judgedredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 09, 2018, 10:54   #30
moonbat60
Registered

On last Wednesday I met with a buddy at a local shooting range.

He had a stock Glock 17 Gen4 and I had mine, Storm Lake barrel, Lone Wolf extended slide release, grip plug and takedown tab.

We both exchanged guns several times and went through a couple of boxes of Federal alum. case 115gr., AE 124gr. and a box of Winchester 147gr., all FMJ.

The 115gr. did not produce any impressive results, but with the 124s and 147s we could see the better barrel.
Old June 11, 2018, 13:59   #31
Elwarpo
Registered

FALaholic #: 38498
Apex trigger and a Lone Wolf barrel did wonders on my G19. Tightened my 10 yard groups from 4-5" to under 1 1/2".

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke
Elwarpo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018, 12:38   #32
moonbat60
Registered

I left the trigger of mine in stock condition, for now.

Regarding barrels, there is quite a difference in accuracy.
Old July 04, 2018, 09:18   #33
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Got an Alpha Wolf conversion for my G23. Chamfer at crown was super rough, as if it was deburred but never actually turned. They fixed it.

Put a KKM conversion into a G22. Visually a much better piece. If I need another barrel it will be a KKM. I don't shoot groups so cant comment on accuracy.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 05, 2018, 06:44   #34
zeke
Registered

FALaholic #: 10472
Had bought a G19 to try last year. Fully agree about trying to learn the glock trigger, but purchased an extended threaded storm lake drop in barrel for G19. Immediate noticeable improvement in accuracy, and it dropped right in.

Previously had gotten one of their extended threaded barrel for Ruger lw commander, and it it to dropped right in. The one for SA 1911 needed slight fitting.
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018, 22:42   #35
GIshooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 4372
KKM barrels in a G17 & G21. Had them for years. Drop in and work perfectly from the beginning. Great finish, fit, and accuracy.
GIshooter is offline   Reply With Quote