Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 22 Files

Notices

Old December 30, 2018, 20:57   #1
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Ruger .22 Single Six problem

So, i have this early 3 screw single six .22, and I found that the top front of the hammer strikes the lower rear of the rear sight. Near as I can tell the sight is original, but obviously there's a problem with the hammer clearance. Anyone run into this before?

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2018, 21:11   #2
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
https://www.amazon.com/Hi-Spec-Rotar...mel+tool&psc=1
Old December 30, 2018, 21:21   #3
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

Ha Ha Mike, I thought about it, but want to keep it un-buggered.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
Old December 31, 2018, 10:08   #4
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
So, i have this early 3 screw single six .22, and I found that the top front of the hammer strikes the lower rear of the rear sight. Near as I can tell the sight is original, but obviously there's a problem with the hammer clearance. Anyone run into this before?
Not with any of the four I've owned, all pre 73 Super Single Sixes w/adj sights. One had the rear sight cranked as low as the adjustments allowed to get 22 Mags zeroed.

New or replacement Hammer? The Super SS used a different Hammer than the SS fixed sight model. SR40 and R40 respectively on the parts list. Pretty sure the Super's hammer had the top bobbed off, but don't have a fixed sight SS to compare.
Old January 02, 2019, 19:19   #5
skinnydash
Registered

FALaholic #: 79317
With the rear sight bottomed out on my Single Six, there's only a gnat's eyelash clearance. Is there a spacer under the rear sight or does the fully compressed spring take care of that?
skinnydash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2019, 19:24   #6
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnydash View Post
With the rear sight bottomed out on my Single Six, there's only a gnat's eyelash clearance. Is there a spacer under the rear sight or does the fully compressed spring take care of that?
After much research, I've got a Old model hammer on order to see how they compare. it may have a New Model hammer in it.

Old January 02, 2019, 20:51   #7
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
You couldn't have a "new model" hammer on a three screw. It may have a "conversion" hammer on it, but it shouldn't be hitting the rear sight.

Origional pre 73 and conversion parts, not 22 parts but about the same config. Some parts interchange, have an original 44 Mag trigger in a Single Six,l works fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger pre-73.jpg (73.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg rugerblackhawk3579mm_04w.jpg (56.9 KB, 6 views)