The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old January 11, 2019, 21:03   #1
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
warranty time

finally spotted a rape truck (Snap-On Tools truck) on Monday, the guy said he could not do anything for me but said to call the corporate customer service number & odds are they will help

these two have been on the passenger floor of the Jetta for at least 2 years

time was not nice to my 1 pound and 3 pound Blue Point dead blow hammers ....... but Snap-On sez they will warranty them (based on the model numbers), got a call tag to send them back, time will tell

bought them in ~ 86~ .... $48.00 & $85.00 to buy today, might have paid half that back then, somewhere I still have recipt for both

Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019, 21:08   #2
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Had the same issue on 2 ball pein hammers. My dealer gave me replacements with a smile.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019, 21:44   #3
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
They only replace tools for regular victims. I've had 4 different dealers tell me that to my face.....Ive had 4 busted 3/8 ratchets in my Snap-on box for 30 years. Needless to say, I've not bought anything from them in that time. Been perfectly happy with Husky stuff. And they actually honor the lifetime warranty.

"Put your thumb up, hit the bolt release, and quit phuking with God and Eugene"
4x401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019, 22:03   #4
KoKodog
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
They only replace tools for regular victims. I've had 4 different dealers tell me that to my face.....Ive had 4 busted 3/8 ratchets in my Snap-on box for 30 years. Needless to say, I've not bought anything from them in that time. Been perfectly happy with Husky stuff. And they actually honor the lifetime warranty.

try calling the customer service number

877-762-7664

odds are they will email you a link for a UPS call tag

let them replace the ratchets for you then sell them if you like the Husky brand
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old January 11, 2019, 22:12   #5
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
Bring 'em up next time. I'll get them replaced or fixed.

"Freedom is not a crime"

Old January 11, 2019, 22:18   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Interesting end to polymer hammers, I wonder if Glocks will rot and break over time?
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019, 22:33   #7
plinker
Registered

FALaholic #: 8679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Interesting end to polymer hammers, I wonder if Glocks will rot and break over time?
Common problem with that type of hammer, they dont age real well, especially with high humidity.

Giving Snap-on a call is best bet, dealers can be hit & miss, but a call or email gets results.
plinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019, 22:36   #8
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Actually these were some sort of Urethane. Time and cold weather weren't kind to the plastic. I still have two plain plastic mallets that have lived in the shop since '82 that are still doing good.

"Freedom is not a crime"

Old January 11, 2019, 23:11   #9
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Unless you are a professional mechanic, just go buy a couple dead-blow hammers from Harbor Freight.

There is nothing special about Snap-On, except if you have an account with them, and agree to owe them stupid amounts of money for overpriced tools, they will come to you on a moment's notice, and provide you with (sell you) the way-overpriced tool you need to get that damn vehicle out of your bay, so you can move on to the next job.

If you are paid by flat-rate, every hour that customer's shitbox sits idle in your bay is an hour you aren't making money. That is the ONLY reason why you should be paying rape-prices for tools.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019, 23:13   #10
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2019, 20:39   #11
KoKodog
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Unless you are a professional mechanic, just go buy a couple dead-blow hammers from Harbor Freight.

There is nothing special about Snap-On, except if you have an account with them, and agree to owe them stupid amounts of money for overpriced tools, they will come to you on a moment's notice, and provide you with (sell you) the way-overpriced tool you need to get that damn vehicle out of your bay, so you can move on to the next job.

If you are paid by flat-rate, every hour that customer's shitbox sits idle in your bay is an hour you aren't making money. That is the ONLY reason why you should be paying rape-prices for tools.

at the time I purchased the Blue Point dead blows there were few choices

the overall quality of tools from Harbor Freight today is light years ahead of the well below piss poor quality in '86

at the time the only real quality source of tools was the rape trucks (snap on, Mac tools) Sears Craftsman was good for simple standard tools, but "Flank Drive" sockets and wrenches beat everything else hands down, a 12 point flank drive socket could easily remove a nut/bolt that a 6 point craftsman would round off

and a few years ago when I "discovered" the dead blows were dead I purchased a harbor freight dead blow

as I stated, the quality/time equation explains everything to even average IQ people, but probably not any Democrat voter
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old January 12, 2019, 23:10   #12
hardheaded
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
You want to see a rape van every week , owe them money the asshol will pull in to swipe that card
Once paid 4 they drive right by

Edit Not can , van,VAn ,VAN
Auto correct WTF

Last edited by hardheaded; January 13, 2019 at 22:02. Reason: Auto correct off button ?
hardheaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019, 00:35   #13
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post

If you can show me another source for a 5/8" end wrench that can bust U-joint bolts out of a 992 Cat loader with a 30" cheater... I'll buy it. Those bolts torque to 200 Lb Ft. I do have the proper 1/2" drive torque adaptor now. Makes life much easier.

"Freedom is not a crime"

Old January 13, 2019, 00:46   #14
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardheaded View Post
You want to see a rape can every week , owe them money the asshol will pull in to swipe that card
Once paid 4 they drive right by
My Snap on dealer is a lady, she stops once a week whether I buy or not. And boy does she know her stuff, Obscure diesel tools don't bother her at all. she finds what I need whether it's Snap on, OTC, or many other suppliers.

"Freedom is not a crime"

Old January 13, 2019, 09:43   #15
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
I agree, with certain tools there is a difference and I rely on Snap-On for that reason. I'll compromise on other not so critical use tools.

Tool truck drivers are as diverse in their reputations as there are opinions to be had. I've had real gems and then I've had real schmucks. My current guy is affable but nearly useless as a tool guy.

The hammers. I had a Blue Point that did exactly that, crumbled. I had bought it used, had no idea how old it was. My guy at the time warrantied it, no questions asked. For a few years now the material the hammers are made from seems different, less brittle. If it fails it'll likely be long after I retire from swinging them.
Old January 13, 2019, 11:28   #16
ncjeeper
Registered

FALaholic #: 65663
My dealer is great. But if you cant get a replacement with the dealer you use contact corporate and they will make good.
Old January 13, 2019, 22:06   #17
hardheaded
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
I was really impressed with that overpriced Blue Point China floor jack , the second stage went out right after the warranty expired
Old January 14, 2019, 00:26   #18
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardheaded View Post
I was really impressed with that overpriced Blue Point China floor jack , the second stage went out right after the warranty expired
I have 2 of the Snap on 3 ton fast jacks, we abuse them lifting semi trailers and drive axles on trucks. never had an issue.

"Freedom is not a crime"

Old March 05, 2019, 15:33   #19
KoKodog
Registered

well, my warranty claim is now complete

about a month ago the 3 pound dead blow came via UPS,

today my UPS man delivered the 24 oz dead blow

I must admit these have a nice length on the handle to get a good swing

my cousin was telling me he had a 3 pound Harbor Freight dead blow explode doing a power swing on contact, said shit flew everywhere

Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill