The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old June 03, 2013, 09:36   #1
nelstomlinson
Registered

FALaholic #: 26985
Burris TAC30? On a FAL?

I'm looking for a 1-4 power or so, with illuminated reticle. It will be mounted on a FAL for use on deer and bear. Does anyone have any experience with the Burris TAC30 or MTAC? How about the Leupold equivalents?

I want 1 power on the low end, for getting fast shots into a charging bear, and the illuminated reticle because bear come looking for downed deer around dusk. I'm hoping to mount this on a LTR, so weight is an issue, too. Alpine deer can be a 200 yard shot, so the 4 power magnification is needed, too.
nelstomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 03, 2013, 12:42   #2
Sijones
Registered

FALaholic #: 67486
I have used the TAC30, the MTAC and recently acquired a Burris 1x4 with the EP#4 reticle. For hunting I do not think you will care for either the TAC30 or the MTAC. Both, especially the TAC30 offer a very cluttered reticle design that is very suited for tactical use, not so much for anything else. Very fast on 1x but poor utility for precision shots. Both the TAC30 and the MTAC have too much illumination to be useful in very low light. You cannot turn them down enough to keep it from being a distraction in low light. Actually a detriment to night shooting.

All three scopes mount very low with either the DSA mount or the ARMS#4. The ARMS mount is significantly lower that the DSA. Use Warne Low mount QD's. You will have to machine the mount a bit for the TAC30, not for the MTAC or the EP#4.

The EP#4 has replaced the TAC30 and the MTAC for me. Sold them both. The German #4 reticle combined with suitable illumination is a combination that works very well in low light/hunting scenario. This model has a small illuminated red dot in the reticle at the intersection of the three thick posts. You can turn it down low enough to make it useful in near darkness. It is not as bright as either the MTAC or the TAC30. Uses the same battery. I got mine from Natchez for $249.95 Seems like removing the sexiness of the "tactical" reticle makes for a better and cheaper hunting scope.

Last edited by Sijones; June 03, 2013 at 20:47.
Sijones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2013, 21:35   #3
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Did you use these scopes on a FAL, or on a poodle shooter? I see them on ARs all the time and like the idea of them, but I'm curious how they hold up to a FAL's recoil.

Last edited by kotengu; June 06, 2013 at 11:56.
kotengu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 05, 2013, 08:27   #4
Sijones
Registered

FWIW I have run the following scopes on FAL and L1A1:

Weaver 1X3

Burris Tac30, MTAC, Euro Diamond 1.5X6, Burris Four X 1.5X6 (euro version of XTR) and Burris Full Field 1X4 EP 4

Bushnell Elite 1x6.5

All were run on either DSA mount or ARMS 4 in Warne QD low rings. Presently have the Bushnell on a DSA carbine and The Four X on an 18"L1A1. Have over a 1000 rounds down range on each rifle with these scopes.

I think any quality scope can stand up to 7.62

On my "poodle shooters" I have an Elcan Spectre DR (my favorite optic, would put on a real rifle except for high sight line), a Mepro M21 and a Weaver 1x3. On my 556r (not a poodle shooter) I have a Meopta K-Dot.

I haven't seen any of these optics and others ever suffer from recoil issues. Mounts are sometimes an issue though.

Last edited by Sijones; June 05, 2013 at 08:34.
Old June 06, 2013, 11:56   #5
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Great info - thanks!
Old June 06, 2013, 20:27   #6
johnnybourbon
Registered

FALaholic #: 39196
I have ran a TAC30 on my fal for over a year now, no issues. I think its a good match for the fal but as sijones mentioned its probably more suited for combat type applications and the illumination almost seems to be geared more towards making it a viable red dot in daylight than it does subtle illumination for dark. I will say however that I have heard varying opinions on the brightness. Mine is visible at its brightest in daylight and usable but a little distracting at real low light. The reticle is definitely more suited for quick acquisition than it is for precision but that's always a trade off
johnnybourbon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2013, 09:08   #7
Sijones
Registered

Johnny,

You said it better than I did. TAC30 is a solid scope, but not the one for hunting game no matter the rifle. It does what it's intended to do very well.

The EP#4 Burris is a hunting scope. The German #4 reticle is known to excel as a dangerous game and low light hunting scope and has done so for decades. Very commom reticle for African game and German night hunting rifles. It has the same engine for producing the illumination but it is directed at a much smaller "reflector" if you will. Serves to make the German #4 even better in lowlight although clearly the illumination is not as visible in bright sunlight as the TAC30.

I have to say that to my eye and in use the EP#4 offers more versatility than the TAC30 as it is very adequate for combat/3 gun scenarios on top of its hunting capabilities.
Old August 10, 2013, 18:53   #8
Bladewurk
Registered

FALaholic #: 12195
Burris EP#4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijones View Post
Johnny,

You said it better than I did. TAC30 is a solid scope, but not the one for hunting game no matter the rifle. It does what it's intended to do very well.

The EP#4 Burris is a hunting scope. The German #4 reticle is known to excel as a dangerous game and low light hunting scope and has done so for decades. Very commom reticle for African game and German night hunting rifles. It has the same engine for producing the illumination but it is directed at a much smaller "reflector" if you will. Serves to make the German #4 even better in lowlight although clearly the illumination is not as visible in bright sunlight as the TAC30.

I have to say that to my eye and in use the EP#4 offers more versatility than the TAC30 as it is very adequate for combat/3 gun scenarios on top of its hunting capabilities.

Sijones do you have a link for this Burris? I like the German #4 thats why I got the Leupold Pigplex as it seems like an adapted G4, I'm interested in this Burris you speak of but all I can find is a FourX at $650ish??
Old August 10, 2013, 20:24   #9
shortround
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1503
This is the low powered scope I like. #4 lighted recticle, 30mm tube, and while it's 1.5-4.5 and not a high end scope, it's as good or better than my Burris MTAC.

http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?...odTitle=Weaver 1.5-4.5X24 Classic Extreme Riflescope Ill. German#4 Reticle Matte

I'm getting back to liking the simplicity of an uncluttered recticle, especially on the low power side. I mean, how often are you going to have to compensate for drop on something you're shooting at 4x?

Best of all, the price!

Last edited by shortround; August 10, 2013 at 20:30.
shortround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2013, 20:46   #10
Bladewurk
Registered

FALaholic #: 12195
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortround View Post
This is the low powered scope I like. #4 lighted recticle, 30mm tube, and while it's 1.5-4.5 and not a high end scope, it's as good or better than my Burris MTAC.

http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?...odTitle=Weaver 1.5-4.5X24 Classic Extreme Riflescope Ill. German#4 Reticle Matte

I'm getting back to liking the simplicity of an uncluttered recticle, especially on the low power side. I mean, how often are you going to have to compensate for drop on something you're shooting at 4x?

Best of all, the price!
Nice, weighs about a pound though?.. what I like bout my 1 inch Leupold is its only about 9 or 10 oz.,doesn't weigh down my FAL.. I guess if I want Illum and 30mm tube its gonna cost me
Old August 11, 2013, 00:18   #11
Sijones
Registered

The Weaver is a bit better glass than the MTAC, but the FOV is a lot smaller. The advertised 1.5 magnification is actually closer to 2X. I bought one last year. Ended up sending it back to Natchez without mounting it and coughed up the money for a Meopta Z-Dot.

Last year the Weaver wasn't the ridiculously low price it is now. Would be hard to pass up at that price at this point in time. Weaver as manufactured by LOW is a lot of bang for the buck, and a German #4 reticle with proper illumination is a hell of a hunting combination.
Old August 11, 2013, 12:10   #12
nearmisses
The LTR guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41474
I see your needs and people here have offered acceptable replacements. I would suggest a Leupold 1.5x5 Vari X III type, very light weight. They have some new scopes in the 1-4x, 2-7x type you are looking for and Firedot VX/R.
They are light enough for the LTR and with low rings and the rear sight removed.
Old August 11, 2013, 15:32   #13
PASHOOTER
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20032
I had a TAC30 on one FAL. The scope worked very well. Quality scope with positive adjustments and very clear glass. The eye relief was very good even on 4x. I mounted it using QD low rings. It is a great tactical scope for the money. But I am partial to Burris scopes. The only reason I removed it is I just don't like a scope on my FAL.
PASHOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2019, 14:58   #14
medicman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5636
Location: Oregon, between the elkhorn mountains and the eagle caps.
I'm aware that I'm super necro-posting, but any update on how these scopes are performing on your FAL's, and any other options for a low power variable optic on your FAL's? Ive got DSA mounts on both of mine, just looking at options.
“Gentlemen, at approximately nine o’clock last night, a small scouting force was sent into the vicinity of my liver. They’ve not been heard from. A rescue force was dispatched, but they, too, have been lost. I’m afraid I have no choice but to declare a state of full-scale war with my liver. Time for a martini.”
medicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2019, 10:13   #15
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicman View Post
I'm aware that I'm super necro-posting, but any update on how these scopes are performing on your FAL's, and any other options for a low power variable optic on your FAL's? Ive got DSA mounts on both of mine, just looking at options.
You might like the Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24. Mine is a fairly recent purchase and am looking for rings and such so no usage reports.
It is a heavy pogue at 17 oz. but most 30MM run heavy compared to a 1".
I like the clean tapered Reticle in this scope, no big red donuts.

https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/p4xi-1-4x24
Old January 02, 2019, 10:56   #16
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortround View Post

I have one of these Classic Extreme scopes mounted on a Savage 99 in .308 and also have the Weaver V3 1-3 on a FAL. Both have been good for me and fit my needs well. I'd recommend either one.

Weaver V3 on FAL

Weaver Extreme Classic on Savage 99

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2019, 12:13   #17
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Millet 1-4x illuminated reticle with a 1x red dot for super fast CQB target aquisition. The Millet has taken abuse of at least 500 rounds both suppressed and unsupressed. Easy to use illuminated reticle with wide variety of power settings but it's much easier to take a stressful shot on a pop up target at five yards through the red dot when last shot was 200 yards on 4x with scope. No trying to dial power ring just shift eye a fraction.

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote