Notices

Old May 02, 2018, 21:58   #151
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
I think that that plan will work just fine. If you fly Tuesday, you'll land mid-day or mid-afternoon (SWAG). Drive to Astoria (2 hours, 15 minutes) via HWY 30. Do *NOT* do what Google Maps tells you to do and go north on I-5 into Washington and then over at Longview - sucky drive, and probably full of commuters in the afternoon. But either way you're going to find out how crappy Portland traffic is...

You will be able to see the mighty Columbia river, which at its widest is nearly 10 miles across. Good enough restaurants and cute town (Astoria). It is where Lewis & Clark terminated their journey west. You can stay there, or you can drive south to Gearhart, Seaside, or Cannon Beach if you need to make time - but I don't think you do.

Wednesday morning drive from Astoria to North Bend, OR - less than 5 hours driving. Plenty of time to eat seafood and get out of the car at the various view points looking over the Pacific Ocean. Mid Coast (between Waldport and Florence) has some incredible highway views - you feel like you're hanging off the edge of the continent (because you are...). Get ready to drive slowly, because there will be RVs in front of you. OTOH, it'll help take in the views.

Thursday drive to Crater Lake. About 4 hours of driving. Mountain roads - first in the coast range, and then in the Cascades. Beautiful. And the pay-off is massive.

After Crater Lake drive to Bend, which is only another 2.5 hours. Go to Deschutes Brewery downtown if you like local craft brews and good food in relaxed / brewery atmosphere - but there are lots of good restaurants in Bend, which is an international destination for skiing, outdoor 'lifestyle' folks, and retirees from California's Bay Area...

Friday morning get up and drive to the shoot. You'll have time for good coffee, breakfast, and to arrive by 10AM. I'm sure the handgun thing will still be going then, so you'll be on time-ish (starts at 0900 hrs.).

Saturday shoot

Sunday drive north on HWY 97 and then HWY 26 to Mt. Hood and eat lunch at the Timberline Lodge. 2.5 hours of driving.

Then take HWY 35 down to Hood River. Less than 1.5 hours driving. You should spend a bunch of time looking in your rear view mirror, as the mountain views are amazing heading down that highway, and the apple orchards and vineyards you'll be driving through on the flanks of the mountain are beautiful. Hood River itself isn't that cool, but the trip down 35 to get there is super boss.

Continue to PDX (1 hour driving) or stay the night on the Columbia River and drive to the airport Monday morning.

Now I'm done playing Tour Guide. We return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
Hello....101, June....can you say TRAFFIC...
And none of your time estimates take that into account IMO..
Have you driven HWY 30 Portland to Astoria lately, anytime of day, TRAFFIC SUCKS.

Seeing the Columbia dumping into the Pacific is cool for sure, BUT, Astoria's a shit hole. Really.
Old May 02, 2018, 21:59   #152
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
When the 3 Gun event is either slower, harder, or "more fun" than last year, you can take your complaints comments over to Jonathan who, like Terry, has a sadistic side to him that I'm only discovering now.

And yes, there is a community shotgun. I'm bringing the ammo for it like I did last year.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2018, 22:01   #153
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
When the 3 Gun event is either slower, harder, or "more fun" than last year, you can take your complaints comments over to Jonathan who, like Terry, has a sadistic side to him that I'm only discovering now.

And yes, there is a community shotgun. I'm bringing the ammo for it like I did last year.
Who complained about the 3 gun?
Old May 02, 2018, 22:05   #154
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
Hello....101, June....can you say TRAFFIC...
And none of your time estimates take that into account IMO..
Have you driven HWY 30 Portland to Astoria lately, anytime of day, TRAFFIC SUCKS.

Seeing the Columbia dumping into the Pacific is cool for sure, BUT, Astoria's a shit hole. Really.
I said RVs will make it slow, but I agree that Google does some shitty time-estimates based on time-of-day traffic patterns.

HWY 30 to Astoria is kinda cool if you're not in a hurry. If you're on the clock or need to get there ricky-tick, it sucks big time. And that time of year, and that time of day, there will be deer on the road. But all that traffic is there to hit those deer before I do.

I like the HWY 26 drive to Cannon Beach, but that would put him in metro traffic from the east side / PDX all the way to North Plains and beyond. If they were driving that at 10 AM that would be okay, but in the afternoon that is going to suck the GIANT one.

Astoria is not a shit hole.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
Old May 02, 2018, 22:06   #155
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:

No one yet.
Old May 02, 2018, 22:08   #156
Elkaholic
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34966
Quote:
I thought the name got changed to "The Jungle walk"
Elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2018, 22:09   #157
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I worked down there for 9 months brother...its a shit hole.

Again, who complained about the 3 gun?
Old May 02, 2018, 22:11   #158
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:

Oh.

I must have been thinking of Warrenton....

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2018, 22:14   #159
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:

Again, who complained about the 3 gun?
Not one single person.

I was saying that some of the stuff we're coming up with over Cokes in the garage is making me laff out loud.

Kid is nuts. And I like some of the stuff he's coming up with. I'm guessing that there will be some complaints when we're done with this one. Nothing dangerous or too difficult, but there will be some things that are different.
Old May 02, 2018, 22:15   #160
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
Oh.

I must have been thinking of Warrenton....

April doesn't like Warrenton. It is the site of her one (that's "1"...) traffic ticket in her entire life.

She's still pissed.
Old May 03, 2018, 00:48   #161
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic View Post
I thought the name got changed to "The Jungle walk"
This event gets a new name every so often, or every year.

It was the Jungle Walk at ARPC. It was the Jungle Walk a few years ago.

This year it's Zombie Something Whatever. I don't know.

But it's gonna have Zombies. And we're gonna shoot 'em.
Old May 03, 2018, 07:09   #162
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Cool. Love chooting zombies..
Old May 03, 2018, 07:25   #163
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Astoria's a shit hole. Really.
Quote:
Shithole or not, I had forgotten about it, but Astoria is also on my punch list. I've read numerous accounts of Lewis & Clark and have followed the trail at numerous places across the US. I just gotta see the end point

Thanks for all the input gents. This will give us some things to discuss.
Old May 03, 2018, 09:46   #164
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Shithole or not, I had forgotten about it, but Astoria is also on my punch list. I've read numerous accounts of Lewis & Clark and have followed the trail at numerous places across the US. I just gotta see the end point

Thanks for all the input gents. This will give us some things to discuss.
You can see the house from "The Goonies" in Astoria.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2018, 14:05   #165
Tat2
Registered

FALaholic #: 52329
Quote:
The latest manifestation of plans based on feedback is this route below. We are thinking 5 days total in OR to make this loop, including the Friday & Saturday with you folks.

She wants to drive the coast. I want to see Hood River. You all suggested Crater Lake. WE want to see you all.

Thoughts from the tribe?

You could always cut the coast short at Newport if it’s taking too long and hop back over to the I-5 through Corvallis and shag down to Crater Lake.
Tat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2018, 19:36   #166
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan Raider View Post
Bring what you want. My idea for the pistol shoot fell a little
short after finding out how many didn't meet the requirement.

Therefore, the pistol shoot is nothing fancy.

7 targets for time. Distance will vary. If it looks like we are
moving fast, will do best of 3 times.
NO NO NO, you better stick to it! I even ordered dies to load up some abortion 45 auto rim rounds to shoot a DA gun! All non hackers can use a loaner
Old May 03, 2018, 19:43   #167
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilsurpMonkey View Post
NO NO NO, you better stick to it! I even ordered dies to load up some abortion 45 auto rim rounds to shoot a DA gun! All non hackers can use a loaner

I know right!
He dumped the whole idea.
Old May 03, 2018, 19:45   #168
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

^

I don't understand this. And I didn't hear what the proposed event was?
Old May 03, 2018, 19:49   #169
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
^

I don't understand this. And I didn't hear what the proposed event was?
Not enough people with the requisite tools to compete...
Old May 03, 2018, 19:53   #170
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Gosh-damned Glocks!
Old May 03, 2018, 19:58   #171
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Old May 03, 2018, 23:38   #172
Tuscan Raider
Registered

Quote:
Gosh-damned Glocks!
Yup. Care to guess who the first person to ask was?

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Old May 04, 2018, 00:39   #173
Tuscan Raider
Registered

Quote:
Sorry. You needed the dies anyways.

Not sure if my eyes shifted, but I don't trust the loaner.

Ghandi

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Old May 04, 2018, 08:44   #174
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Sorry. You needed the dies anyways.

Not sure if my eyes shifted, but I don't trust the loaner.
The loaner can be trusted fully, the sights haven't needed adjustment since they were installed in 1918
Old May 04, 2018, 09:36   #175
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Yup. Care to guess who the first person to ask was?
Was it me? I don't think I'd complain of someone's event over Glock/Not-A-Glock.

Knowing me I'd use that as an excuse to go buy a Sig or something.

Last edited by brunop; May 04, 2018 at 11:03.
Old May 04, 2018, 10:12   #176
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Quote:
The latest manifestation of plans based on feedback is this route below. We are thinking 5 days total in OR to make this loop, including the Friday & Saturday with you folks.

She wants to drive the coast. I want to see Hood River. You all suggested Crater Lake. WE want to see you all.

Thoughts from the tribe?

The rout you picked from 101 to Roseburg is a good one, there is an Elk preserve along there that usually has a rather large herd hanging out right next to Hwy 138. Alternatively one could drive the rest of the way down the coast, cut over to Grants Pass on Hwy 199 and drive through the Redwoods...that rout does take you into Northern California though.

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2018, 15:53   #177
Tuscan Raider
Registered

Quote:
The loaner can be trusted fully, the sights haven't needed adjustment since they were installed in 1918
Was talking about mine, but if you want to load 400 rounds
I will stick with the original plan.

Ghandi

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Old May 04, 2018, 15:56   #178
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Was talking about mine, but if you want to load 400 rounds
I will stick with the original plan.
Think have enough brass for 200 in the 1918, but I've got another that can be used with plenty of ammo. You watched me making consistent hits at 50yds with it, it's dead on. Stick to the OGP
Old May 04, 2018, 16:07   #179
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
I'm confused. Is it a real pistol match or are Glocks involved?

Old May 04, 2018, 16:22   #180
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I'm confused. Is it a real pistol match or are Glocks involved?

Of course we'll use Real Glocks, we don't do airsoft shit..
Old May 04, 2018, 16:26   #181
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
1911....it's like a Glock....but for men

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2018, 16:28   #182
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

And sadly neither qualifies for this year's pistol event...
Old May 04, 2018, 18:06   #183
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
And sadly neither qualifies for this year's pistol event...
Well, somebody better figure out what qualifies.. And sooner than later would be nice.
Old May 04, 2018, 18:42   #184
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Well, somebody better figure out what qualifies.. And sooner than later would be nice.
Easy, any pistol that can manage a double action first shot.
Old May 04, 2018, 18:43   #185
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Knowing me I'd use that as an excuse to go buy a Sig or something.
I hear the 227 is nice
Old May 04, 2018, 19:18   #186
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
So we're back to the original plan then. Fabulous!
Old May 04, 2018, 20:30   #187
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

And BTW, technically the Glock is a DA trigger system...no matter how much the haters contest.

Oh yea, SIGS SUCK./
Old May 04, 2018, 21:04   #188
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

Quote:
And BTW, technically the Glock is a DA trigger system...no matter how much the haters contest.

Oh yea, SIGS SUCK./
Ummm, no.... the Glock is a variation of a double action, it's a "safe action". Beings that the Glock is incapable of firing without the striker being pre cocked, it is not a true double action and thus does not qualify.
Old May 04, 2018, 21:40   #189
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmike View Post
1911....it's like a Glock....but for men

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2018, 21:42   #190
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
This is what's cool about my (CV's) M92

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2018, 21:59   #191
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Ummm, no.... the Glock is a variation of a double action, it's a "safe action". Beings that the Glock is incapable of firing without the striker being pre cocked, it is not a true double action and thus does not qualify.
You say Tomato, I say you're understanding of mechanism is flawed....
Old May 04, 2018, 22:41   #192
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

Quote:
With the striker in the fired position, can you pull the trigger on a glock and have it go bang?
Old May 04, 2018, 22:52   #193
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
With the striker in the fired position, can you pull the trigger on a glock and have it go bang?
Damn right I can!

It just has to hit the ground hard enough...duh.
Old May 04, 2018, 23:11   #194
nickmil
Registered

FALaholic #: 77041
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v71 View Post
This is what's cool about my (CV's) M92
Yup, I have one too. One of the things I like about it. And many Ruger semi's are true da/sa.
nickmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2018, 23:12   #195
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Damn right I can!

It just has to hit the ground hard enough...duh.
Soooo, not actually a real double action... if it first has to be pre cocked... that's not quite there now is it... Glock is the worst of all worlds. Not a single, not a double, just "safe". Regardless, not a double action, not qualified.
Old May 04, 2018, 23:15   #196
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

Wheel guns are real guns...
Old May 04, 2018, 23:19   #197
nickmil
Registered

FALaholic #: 77041
Quote:
Wheel guns are real guns...
hmm. Maybe I can borrow Mom's Colt Border Patrol. My little S&W Lightweight may not be accurate enough for what you have in mind.
nickmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2018, 02:35   #198
Tuscan Raider
Registered

Quote:
So we're back to the original plan then. Fabulous!
I haven't said that.

Yet.

Ghandi

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Old May 05, 2018, 11:22   #199
otis61
Registered

FALaholic #: 26667
Man I can't keep up. I need to come on and read more.
Old May 05, 2018, 11:53   #200
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
That's funny.

Even if it's wrong.