Notices

Old April 11, 2019, 19:34   #1
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 536
Which suppressor?

I wanna buy a "can" for an AR-15 IN 300 BO
I know very little about them, I would like a quality suppressor that won't break the bank. What do you guys recommend?
Thanks in advance, Mick
Old April 11, 2019, 22:34   #2
FNfreak
Registered

FALaholic #: 1081
TWO things work here in your favor. The pressure .300Blk SUBSONIC exterts on cans is considered pistol pressure. So any 9mm or .45 can will work on the .300BLK SUBSONIC ONLY (with proper adaptor.) That gives you a multi use can. And most pistol can are cheaper than rifle cans and LIGHTER WEIGHT. The downside is when you shoot SUPERSONIC. The can MUST be removed or you'll give it a hysterectomy...

Or you can get a .30cal rifle can and use it for any .30cal or under.

A THIRD choice is...Personally, I like the Griffin Armament OPTIMUS can for a first time can buyer. It covers EVERYTHING from 300 WIN MAG down to .17HMR PISTOL OR RIFLE. It is like buying about 4 different cans in one unit.It comes with pistol neilson device (booster) and rifle blast baffle. It screws on my .300Blk, CZ sp-01 tactical, Glock 19, HK-91, AR15's, AK's, 1911, Ruger mk11, Ruger .22 rifles, CZ .17hmr, and anything else I have with a threaded barrel 9mm bore size or less and it's user serviceable.

User serviceable (thats important) means you can take the baffles out and clean them. With rifle cans it doesn't really matter because the pressure and heat of high velocity rounds tend to erode the carbon deposits with each shot. HOWEVER, lower velocity pistol caliber (and .300blk) velocity and pressures DEPOSIT more carbon then they erode with firing. Being able to take your can apart and clean it is a great feature for longevity and efficiency.

All the majors selling tubes are pretty damn good. A really good 9mm pistol tube will be LIGHT WEIGHT and great for .300BLK subsonic BUT limited usage. A .30caliber rifle can will be more versatile and can like the Optimus will be the most versatile for rifle and pistol will be the most versatile of them all.

Silencer technology is PHYSICS BASED so companies making all these great claims and over the top sound reduction numbers are yanking your chain for your dollars....several companies just copy and steal others designs. do a little research and see who the suppressor folks use and trust most. A few companies use heavy marketing and catchy names and graphics to charge a premium for the SAME PHYSICS everyone else is selling you for 1/2 the price and DOUBLE the quality and reputation!!

With .300BLK the AMMO ( powder) and BARREL LENGTH makes more difference then suppressor manufacture. I can load the same bullet to the same velocities using the same primers and same gun and tube but use h110 in one round and VV N110 in another and the sound signature will be like .308 vs .22lr. Finding the BEST load for your .300blk barrel length to powder burn rate / bullet weight is critical to having the jaw dropping suppression vs. "What's all the fuss about??" suppression....

Soory to drone on but I hope something here helps...
FNfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2019, 03:58   #3
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 536
Thanks, that was an awesome reply. I'll check out the Griffon.
Old April 12, 2019, 08:37   #4
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
What price range do you want to stay in?
What's your barrel length?
Do you want to keep length and weight to a minimum?
Old April 12, 2019, 09:31   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Can run all my Osprey pistol cans with 300 BO. Lightest suppressors I own and could use for your pistol or rifle. Use the Ospreys 9 with rim fire as well. My favorite rifle can is the AAC 762 SDN-6. Can run on 5.7×28 to 7.62×51 and most in between. Have over two dozen rifles with AAC 51T adapters and four AAC SDN cans thus simple to have most rifles out of vault suppressed easily as move in and out.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2019, 10:55   #6
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I got the Griffin Armament Alpha, the precursor to the Optimus. Awesome can and have used it on my AR10, AR15, 6.5 RPR, and it is a requirement on my Savage M110 LE Tactical in 6.5 (my hunting rifle). Easy to install, take off and clean.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2019, 16:51   #7
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
I run the AAC 762 SDN-6 with great success. It's not the lightest can out there, but it is a robust build with inconel internals that is made to last. I have used it on AR's in 5.56, 6.8, and 300 BLK, on a SIG 556, on a 300 BLK Rem 700, and it currently lives on a SIG Rattler in 300 BLK.

Did try it on a 7.62 NATO bolt gun for a bit, but the blackout throws the 220 gr bullets at the same sub-sonic velocities. So why bother?

Whatever can you do buy, test fire your loads WITHOUT mounting that new can at close range to make sure there is no key holing going on from an inadequately stabilized bullet. If everything checks out, then verify your mounted can with a gauge rod to ensure concentricity with the rifle bore. Baffle strikes can ruin all your fun as well as that new can.
Uriah Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2019, 19:08   #8
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
I make my own.

My blk/300 can costed about $120 once I purchased the raw materials and paid for the engraving. Of course, add the $200 tax but you would be doing that anyway.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2019, 22:29   #9
Sirwaffle
Registered

FALaholic #: 82413
it really comes down to what do you want to spend, quality and exotic metals go up as the price goes up and if you want removable baffles. I got a AAC SDN-6 in 762 caliber for my 300BO and works perfectly fine for that it was bout 850$ in the end.
Sirwaffle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:11   #10
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
I'll plug for OSS again... not cheap by any means, but not nearly as pricy as they used to be...
COBC #66
Farkën Snêekee Bastïtch
(formerly 'Capt D')
The Chief is online now   Reply With Quote