Notices

Old May 27, 2018, 15:18   #1
Stoney
Former 0311
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1205
? about the 1911 9mm ejector

will a .45 ejector work with a 9mm? will 9mm ejector work with .45? is there a way of stopping a 9mm shell from hitting me in the head about once a mag, ie a gilliiee system?

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Has freedom been replaced with Free-Dumb.

Illegitimi non carborundum

A 1911A1 is like a Glock, except it's for grownups.

AMERICA! Designed by geniuses. Now run by idiots.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen." Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old Viking saying: Never be more then two steps from your weapon

Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living.
Stoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018, 16:14   #2
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
No.
A 45 ejector will not work on a 9mm. It would never fit in the slide. The 9mm ejector juts in a little(9mm case is smaller than the 45)

A Colt Commander in 45 ACP uses a 9mm ejector. This will work, not the other way around

Ejector length is one of the factors that determine case ejection. You can shorten your existing ejector
Old May 28, 2018, 13:11   #3
Steve in Allentown, PA
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 30456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
. . . is there a way of stopping a 9mm shell from hitting me in the head about once a mag . . .
Ejection depends on a number of factors all of which influence this function. Chief among them are the power of the cartridge, recoil spring weight, mainspring (hammer spring) weight, extractor fit, and ejector length and shape.

The standard mainspring for all 1911s is 23lbs. The standard recoil spring for a 5" 9mm 1911 is 14lbs. Depending on the cartridge power mainsprings can go as low as 18lbs and recoil springs as low a 9lbs. The extractor has much to do with ejection and must be fit with the correct deflection, shape, and tension. The ejector length controls the timing of the case ejection. The shape of the ejector nose can refine the flight path of the empty case.

My suggestion is to leave the ejector nose as long as possible while still allowing loaded cartidge ejection. Getting the brass out of the pistol sooner rather than later is a good thing.

If the springs are too strong for a specific cartridge, the slide can short cycle thus not allowing the ejector to get a solid hit on the case. This can result in the case not clearing the ejection port soon enough to avoid being struck by the top edge of the ejection port as the slide comes screaming back. The result is a line drive to the face.

If the case is being ejected into the side of the slide below the ejection port it will often bounce straight up and back landing on top of your noggin.

The first and easiest thing you can do is establish a known baseline for spring weights by purchasing an assortment pack of mainpsrings and recoil springs from Wolff (https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/1911%20GOV'T%20PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1). I recommend tossing out the springs your pistol came with then putting in the 23lb mainspring and 12lb recoil spring. Test fire the pistol.

The next easiest thing you can do is carefully examine the uncleaned pistol for telltale brass smears at the forward edge of the ejection port as well as below the ejection port and on its lower edge. The results of this examination an inform your next step.

The next thing you can do is inspect the extractor for proper fit. Deflection is the most important thing to check first. Then the shape of the claw and tensioning wall. Dead last is tension. If the first two items are set correctly, tension is a minor issue. I toss every OEM extractor that comes my way and replace them with EGW, Wilson, or Harrison. OEM extractors from the major manufacturers are outsourced to the lowest bidder and you get what you pay for.

I also only use oversized ejectors from EGW or Harrison and leave them as long as possible while barely allowing for live round ejection.

If all of this is too much to contemplate, try bending the extractor to add more tension to it. Good luck.

Last edited by Steve in Allentown, PA; May 28, 2018 at 16:44.
Steve in Allentown, PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018, 14:31   #4
Steve in Allentown, PA
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 30456
For an in-depth tutorial on fitting 1911 extractors see: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=829865.

It specifically addresses .45 extractors but the concepts are the same for 9mm.
Steve in Allentown, PA is offline   Reply With Quote