The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old June 12, 2018, 02:42   #1
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Shepherd Scopes= You are Missing the Boat.

I have tried for a Decade here to clue you Gent's into Shepherd scopes, They are The Value and Game changers in Long range scopes AND Tactical's like 1-6 power.

Many of these other companies like razor, Vortex , heck a Bunch of them have their Brand scopes Made at Shepherd, True story. The Range finding reticules, one shot Zero, and Highest Quality make the price you pay a Supreme Value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icKt-7FhI0A&t=58s

If I had say $350 to spend for a scope, it would be Shepherd, hands down, that gives you Near a $1000 scope in other brands Even Leupold which I have always Loved the Brand and Made in Oregon.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.

Last edited by ALL FAL; June 12, 2018 at 03:06.
ALL FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018, 04:30   #2
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
Link to where they say made in Oregon?
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018, 05:38   #3
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
Link to where they say made in Oregon?
I read it as Leupold is Made in Oregon, USA rather than Shepherd.

I called Shepherd back in the 1990's to inquire where their scopes were actually manufactured and they told me Japan.

Never did buy one, but I love *circle reticles* and they are not always the easiest to find in an optic I like.
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018, 07:42   #4
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 65818
I don't recall ever seeing them offered for sale.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

You can tell it's real because it looks so fake.
Elon Musk February 7, 2018
badzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018, 07:58   #5
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
They were heavily advertised back in the 80s. Never understood why anyone would get excited about the zeroing feature. You can do that with any scope. Heck, it's how I bore sight red dots.

The reticle was innovative for it's time, 40 years later, it's just another of a hundred options.

Recently bought out by Salvo Tech.

I kindof like the 1-8x24, but the reticule is too busy. I'll probably still end up getting the nightforce.
Old June 12, 2018, 08:10   #6
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badzero View Post
I don't recall ever seeing them offered for sale.
Shotgun News and GunList, back in the day.
They didn't list the price or country of manufacture in the ads, which is why I called them, at the time.

shepherd_scope.jpg
Old June 12, 2018, 09:47   #7
akinnepa
Registered

FALaholic #: 63099
It's been 15 years, if I remember correctly I had one on a 270 I bought from a co-worker who's wife wouldn't let him keep his deceased father's guns. Never really knew the price tag on them. They worked as intended, I got a deer with it eight months later.

No complaints about them, just not really memorable.

Both the 270 and optic were trade fodder around 2009 when I consolidated ammo.
Old June 12, 2018, 11:10   #8
FALonious
In His Grip
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 51017
I have one also on a rem 700 .270 deer rifle. It works as intended and never had any issues with it but is not remarkable in any way. It was also more than $350....
Many others I'd rather have for other applications but for what it's on, it's fine.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence

FALonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018, 11:40   #9
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
meh. I'll stick with Leupold.
Old June 12, 2018, 12:03   #10
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
I'll stick with Athlon and Vortex. Thanks.

There is not a problem that government cannot make worse.
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018, 13:15   #11
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
I like mine. one sits on top of my AR-10, and shoots little groups.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018, 13:33   #12
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
I like mine. one sits on top of my AR-10, and shoots little groups.
Wait...one of yours shoots little groups and sits on your rifle? All on its own?

Last edited by TenTea; June 12, 2018 at 13:54. Reason: For RSU - is this less offensive?
Old June 12, 2018, 13:37   #13
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
Not in good taste. I'd remove it.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018, 13:57   #14
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
Not in good taste. I'd remove it.
Poor taste or no, I was funning you with regard to your wordsmithing...

Let's eat Grandpa! ~ Let's eat, Grandpa!

I couldn't find a good pic of someone sitting on a rifle.
How about this one...tasteful enough?

Last edited by TenTea; June 12, 2018 at 14:03.
Old June 12, 2018, 18:59   #15
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
If you haven't checked out Athalon Optics, you are missing the boat. FFP optics at a reasonable cost, that actually work. And work very well.
Old June 13, 2018, 02:04   #16
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
To Each their own, I suppose. Athlon, will look.

All I can say about personal experience with Shepherd scopes is I have made some long shots, Incredible shots and had a heck of a lot of fun with them.

I'll have several Shepherds before I'm done.

Gunplumber is right about the 1-8.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2018, 15:20   #17
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Best scope I own is a March purchased through their "gunsmith" discount just before my rifle smith retired. Had him build me a rifle and when asking him about different scopes for it no matter what brand and model I mentioned he answered "buy a March". Listened, checked on price and told him was going to have to go another route. He made a call, scribbled down a price, said he was not making a dime but would get it for me and would never buy anything else. In a perfect world where I could drop $3,000 worth of glass on top of every build I would be doing exactly that but I do have the one on my favorite bolt action rifle (custom Remington 700 in 7mm Practical with 5-40x 56mm March scope).

Currently there are a host of good scopes on the market whether buy Nightforce, Leica, Zeiss and more. Have found Vortex offers best quality mid range scopes for my eye and their Viper PST side focus are top shelf. Purchased a Nikon Black X1000 that's making me take back a lot of trash talk have said about Nikon scopes though their sub $179 retail scopes still are trash but a $150 scope is a $150 scope. Before built rifles by the bushel and usually bought one nice off the rack then comissioned a nice custom rifle for Christmas each year was easier to put nice glass on each rifle but with the parts everywhere to easily screw together a nice AR 10 or AR 15 on a $250 to $500 barrel, buying nice optics became more challenging. Mostly buy nicest spec Vortex to match rifle can afford and let it ride at present but have a lot of Leupolds in the vault.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2018, 16:21   #18
imacoonass01
Registered

FALaholic #: 80275
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinnepa View Post
It's been 15 years, if I remember correctly I had one on a 270 I bought from a co-worker who's wife wouldn't let him keep his deceased father's guns.
I would've kept the guns and got rid of her.
Old June 15, 2018, 19:50   #19
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinnepa View Post
It's been 15 years, if I remember correctly I had one on a 270 I bought from a co-worker who's wife wouldn't let him keep his deceased father's guns. Never really knew the price tag on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacoonass01 View Post
I would've kept the guns and got rid of her.
Amen from the back row. Came home from work one Friday as usually work late to get all work out promised for the week to find a mostly empty house. Ex took every kitchen appliance including three blenders (got five as wedding gifts and she worked them hard making margaritas), every pot, plate, spoon, fork, piece of furniture including both beds, both t.v.'s, stereo, didn't even leave me a single chair to sit on, had to get a wood box from utility shed to sit on. Cleaned out check books, savings accounts she knew about and even left me with a couple grand in bounced checks hitting bank Monday after she had left. Considered it fair price to get rid of the hag. Even a cheap price as couldn't come after my business.

Didn't touch a single gun (she never liked them but knew were worth money), reloading equipment, mountaineering/climbing gear, bicycles or my art so was at least able to sit on my box and look at my art. Mostly early Bev Doolittle's (touch my Forest Has Eyes and die), Howard Terpning, Carl Brenders, etc artists proofs all purchased while dating chick who owned an art gallery. I finally realized gallery chick was dating all the guys buying high dollar signed proofs coming through her gallery and ex-wife didn't know true value or may have tried taking. Guns or climbing gear and she would have died. If taken my art would have gone and gotten it or had her locked up for the checks and bank shenanigans.

Really don't care what it is but a wife that doesn't let husband keep valued items of his parents should be sent packing. My wife says nothing about anything I drag up even if its a dead animal. Whenever walk in house with new rifle or any toy never hear a word though usually keep her in the loop beforehand. She has called me from Harley Davidson dealer, asked me to bring checkbook and someone to drive my truck home while I drove hers. Have a big pile of stuff belonging to my dad that most would consider junk and over 200 man hours in restoring her grand parents lawn funiture. We have four China cabinets to display her formal China and one for my ivory collection.

Day either spouse issues any ultimatum is day relationship should end. Always had long hair, ex said it was great then two weeks before our wedding said did not want me to have a pony tail or even hair touching my collar in wedding pictures. Never said a word about my climbing expeditions till after we were married when told her had clients for a trip to Ranier and she said if went off three weeks climbing would be gone when returned. Should have known when demanded cut hair or not work my @$$ off dragging a bunch of overweight armchair climbers up Ranier to cut my losses that minute.

If current wife told me tomorrow no more guns, have enough she would be looking for a place to live much less telling me could not keep my dad's guns. She has gotten to looking at me sideways when add more gun vaults but doesn't say anything. I have left for up to six weeks without a word but have fun and she has left on motorcycle saying would be home when got home. We never tell other what can or can't do. Makes for happy house.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2018, 20:28   #20
Scout10
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80494
Shepherd . . . . . sure . . . . got one!

My line of thinking was this is not a really accurate rifle. (its a hammer) So I'm not going to put something on it I have to dial in more often.
Thus the Sheperd 1-8 "rugged" scope, 30mm tube. Two color illumination + brightness, or off for none.
1x8 power and the multi-circled recticle. Assembly is currently in Florida. It was $425 delivered.
Ill admit it takes a bit to get use to the rings, but once you get the hang of it (after reading manual) and have distance matched to rings,
its quick to swap targets.
( no turret work )
Vortex mount
see attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scope rt AL.jpg (85.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Shepherd box.jpg (81.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg scope lt FAL.jpg (78.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Scout10; June 16, 2018 at 10:15.
Scout10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018, 18:04   #21
paulo
Registered

FALaholic #: 11856
Not to highjack this thread but, Huey how about some thoughts on the Nikon Black?
paulo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018, 10:35   #22
FALonious
In His Grip
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout10 View Post
My line of thinking was this is not a really accurate rifle. (its a hammer) So I'm not going to put something on it I have to dial in more often.
Thus the Sheperd 1-8 "rugged" scope, 30mm tube. Two color illumination + brightness, or off for none.
1x8 power and the multi-circled recticle. Assembly is currently in Florida. It was $425 delivered.
Ill admit it takes a bit to get use to the rings, but once you get the hang of it (after reading manual) and have distance matched to rings,
its quick to swap targets.
( no turret work )
Vortex mount
see attached
Mine is just like the one in TenTea's pic of a old shotgun news add.....nothing like what you have. Not seen one like that.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence

Old June 17, 2018, 10:44   #23
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo View Post
Not to highjack this thread but, Huey how about some thoughts on the Nikon Black?
Someone I know uses a Althlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 to lop rounds at the 1000K yard range. Has anyone heard of them?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018, 21:04   #24
Scout10
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALonious View Post
Mine is just like the one in TenTea's pic of a old shotgun news add.....nothing like what you have. Not seen one like that.
Yep the one in TenTea's pix is a larger model with more Xpower.
Its probably still made or an updated version
What is the power setting on yours ? How old ?
Old June 18, 2018, 06:51   #25
FALonious
In His Grip
Silver Contributor

Model 310-P2 3-10 power, mfg in Japan, 05/12/98 and was $529.25 shipped.

T. E. Lawrence

Old June 18, 2018, 12:30   #26
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Someone I know uses a Althlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 to lop rounds at the 1000K yard range. Has anyone heard of them?
My boss has a 4x Athlon on his AR10. Outstanding glass. I stopped by their booth at the NRA show. Their low powered variables had way less lens distortion and fisheye effect than those offered by Primary Arms and others (I'm a big PA fan, too.). Very crisp and clear, positive adjustments. My 1-4x Talos should be here this week, and I'll be adding one of their 1-6x's in the near-future.

Old June 18, 2018, 13:27   #27
Scout10
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALonious View Post
Model 310-P2 3-10 power, mfg in Japan, 05/12/98 and was $529.25 shipped.
And the 310 still working good ? ... on anything right now ?
Old June 19, 2018, 12:22   #28
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Got my Athlon 1-4x in this morning. It's exceptional, and for the price and features, can't be beat.