Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old June 01, 2018, 15:15   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Army to Issue New Night Vision 2018

Supposed to be in the field by June which is any day now. The helmet mounted device links via wireless to the weapons sight and superimposes the weapons view in helmet mount allowing operator to fire from behind cover or around cover without exposing themselves or accurately from the hip.

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.o...vision-goggles

This system if is actually debugged and works as advertised I will need one kit for myself and another for the wife though might have to each sell a kidney and possibly break the retirement account as doubt the combined helmet and weapons mount system will be cheap. Then it's which rifles get to good kit or do we sell our niece to a Saudi prince to outfit a pair of rifles each? How long before this filters to civilian market? If can find a kit and swing the cost it's an almost have to have piece of equipment.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 01, 2018, 17:00   #2
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
I hope they replace allllll of their night vision with this piece of stupid.

"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 01, 2018, 18:23   #3
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
In the picture, the NVD is in front of the Aimpoint. This is called a clip on. There would be no way to transmit to a helmet mounted eyepiece. You would have to use the Aimpoint like you would if there was no clip on.

With the clip on behind the Aimpoint, it could now transmit to a helmet mounted eyepiece and the system would be useless without the helmet mounted eyepiece

I've built some homemade night vision systems. They're neat but have limitations.

Probably the best system is what's already being used; A helmet mounted NVD with an infrared laser on the hand guard and a thermal scope on the rifle.
Old June 01, 2018, 18:36   #4
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

The Product Manager Tony Douglas is a good friend of mine and the test evaluator works for me. It wont be fielded in Jun or this year. They went back to the requirements drawing board at Fort Benning and are looking at more and different gear.

We took a break yesterday and looked in and helped out on the MHS M17 and M18 pistol testing yesterday. Its gonna be a great piece of gear if all the new changes continue to test out well.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 01, 2018, 20:05   #5
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

How could it be better than what's currently being used?
Old June 01, 2018, 21:02   #6
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

Its a fusion optic that blends IR and Thermal sensors so you have the best of both in one optic.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 01, 2018, 21:23   #7
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

The fusion I understand. NV shortcomings are where thermal really shines and thermal shortcomings are where NV really shines. Bringing them together into one system is going to be awesome. This will work as a scope or a helmet mounted system.

It's my contention that combining a helmet mounted system and a rifle mounted system together is where the problem begins.

I can build this stuff, that isn't a problem. I just don't think it's a workable idea and what's currently used is workable.

Two separate systems, a helmet mounted fusion unit with a IR laser on hand guard and a fusion unit on the rifle. This will work, it's essential what's being used today. Maybe not fusion but the fusion is an upgrade. Not a different system of use.