Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old November 15, 2018, 19:05   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Finally Found Them This Morning

Been looking for this burly receiver set for over a month. The real blessing is found the other matched set as well. Both were sent as was first pair of SWAT Firearms billet receiver sets purposely zip tied together as uppers and lowers were matched then pin holes line bored with them mated in a vice so there should be no error in fitment and these are as burly in wall thickness as DPMS Lo Pro receivers. Going to use with a Noveske 18" 6.8 spc II barrel for a jumbo Mk 12 Mod H clone and other with a 20" HBAR profile 22 Nosler tube for a precision 224 poodle shooter. Getting close to point may have to slow my roll on building AR 15's or buy a bigger house to hold the safes but it sure is fun when able to pile up a group of really nice parts know with some work assembling will turn into almost magical shooting machines.

Have another pair of DPMS Lo Pro receiver sets in black at work along with anothe pair of DPMS purposely made 458 SOCOM receivers to contain the big thumper rounds. While recovering from last outpatient spent two days looking for parts hidden out at home as normally just pull from safes and lockers at work. Was pleasently suprised at the quality of some parts I had rat holed at home which is going to pretty much finish off any possible combination of AR 15 a single person could even remotely justify owning. On waiting list to get a 1:7.7 twist 20" four groove cut rifling Bartlein tube with Durakote finish in service rifle profile with 5/824 threads going with one of the Lo Pro sets to see why majority of the big money shooters are using the odd twist Bartlein tubes. Am trying to finish up my kit of AR 15 magic and then have a big pile of AR 10 projects planned on the horizon.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2018, 14:23   #2
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
Damn, Huey. That's one heavy duty beauty you got there. Looks to be the perfect home for long and heavy barrels. At first glance it looked as if the nose of the upper wasn't even threaded. After wiping the goo out of my eyes the protective tape became apparent. Nice touch. Gotta get these cataracts taken care of.

AR building can and does get out of hand in a hurry. Putting together a decent rifle is about like Lego blocks. It's very easy to build something satisfactory. With judicious parts selection and fitment, a truly outstanding weapon can be created. Seems that you have it dialed in right.

I'm down to one safe, a closet gun rack, and a few parts bins now. Have been downsizing for a while of late. WEG's talk about storing guns for the next guy strikes a cord for me. Thinking about who gets my possessions after I'm toast puts a bug in my ass. And now I'm back on the Files buying kits again Have given up doing 1911s, but FALs are too sexy and ARs are too easy building to give up.
Uriah Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2018, 15:07   #3
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Am actually going.outside of.my family and giving many to past Boy Scouts that taught to shoot as don't have enough blood kin that deserve some of the nice rifles I own. I sold over 100 rifles when diagnosed with cancer first time. Lived without much off a fight and then here I was missing half my kids. Rebuilding collection has been hard so moving forward like will live forever but making sure right young men get nice rifle, pile of ammo and a reloading kit to go with it if are the type to use it. All will be distributed face to face based on name tags hanging from trigger guards and list of how many rounds of proper flavor so when I die at least 200 rifles and as many handguns are going to fall victim to a boating accident or.can say were buried with me.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old November 17, 2018, 15:40   #4
Uriah Lee
Registered

I have been doing much the same. Problem is an acute shortage of worthy recipients.

Last edited by Uriah Lee; November 17, 2018 at 15:45.
Old November 17, 2018, 17:22   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

During Gulf war began.giving any relative, friend or children of friends deployed gave each a Randal fighting knife to take to the war as figured someday would be a family heirloom as the knife daddy/granddad took to war rather than a knife crazy uncle Huey left someone. Had over a dozen Randall combat style knives, mostly different variants of the Model 15 Airman. Finally ran out and when someone got deployment orders would have to get a copy so Randall would rush me another so someone I knew didn't deploy without a real tried and true fighting knife.

One of my favorite first cousins sons is a Blackhawk driver and "wing leader" if correct Army term for pilot in command of his squadron was deploying as a relatively freshly promoted Captain and at his send off family party presented him with a stainless Randall Model 15 Airman with sawtooth spine while explaining to him and family was developed by Bo Randall during Vietnam War to aid downed helicopter crews in hacking their way through the aluminum skins of helicopters if shot down and trapped. Asked the family to all father round him and pray that he never have to use the knife for what is was designed to do.

His mother absolutely broke down in appreciation about me thinking about it and giving up what her son told her was a $500+ knife as wanted one since got his wings. She immediately wanted it taken to either have sheath market d or knife engraved as presented to Captain XYZ by his Uncle Huey on xx/xx/xxxx. That's when I told her we could not do that as he may be flying missions at some point where no names, rank or even markings of country from were allowed on uniforms, equipment or anything so if went down U.S. could deny any affiliation with his helicopter if went down over wrong border. This was when her she realized what her first born sons real situation was for the foreseeable future, turned white and we had to lay her down and treat her for shock.

He flew three tours in Iraq and is now flying his second tour in Afghanistan. His first four in Iraq sent me a series of emails about his knife and all the opportunities it gave him. First deployment said he was walking to his bird with crew discussing mission as a group that just landed approached excluding a two star General, not one of the Full Birds with fresh star for extending his contract so they all snapped to attention as the group passed. Said he had the Randall on his chest rig in manner even if upside down and on fire he could get it if still had arms attached to his body. Said General stopped, entourage stopped, General stared directly at him then asked why he had an obvious 1970/1980's vintage Randall 15 Airman on his gear. Said he replied his "uncle" presents all family with Randall knives as deploy and it was a gift at his family deployment good-bye. General asked when his mission package forecast returning and told him to report to the Senior Officers Mess 90 minutes after sitting his Blackhawk back on the ground.

That began a relationship which got him a name and number to use if need and mentor who followed his career until the General recently retired with three stars. Over his career were two separate transfers and special groups he wanted to be assigned or missions wanted to participate that the General and his pals saw his requests to fly with groups like the 75th Ranger Battalion and other groups has helped fast track his career just because a crazy uncle decided the best way to dispose of a stack of knives was to hand them out whenever family or friend was deployed to the global war on terror. Have two Randall's on waiting list now and on occasion have to buy one on secondary market to get it fast enough but since it's a tradition am estaunched in have no choice but to keep finding Randall's to get in hands of folks before they ship out. A lot of these same men get a free AR 15 upon retirement from active duty as well.

Wife's closest first cousins son recently retired after one tour in Iraq and two tours in Afghanistan. He was a forward observer and specialty was ordering artillery and close air support of ground troops in the field. He has told me about situations where he was calling in fire from a Spectre gun ship and had to have commanding officer on ground give his permission for fire to start due to danger close situation and basically calling in fire on their position. Said more than once he called in missions so close to troops he was with that he had no idea if he was about to put an artillery round or missile in his own lap. Gave him a generic M4gery on his retirement after eight years active service followed by medical discharge due to injury from an IED. Was a basic milspec build on 14.7" 1:8 FN CHF barrel and pinned muzzle device totally built to be as close to an issue M4 without doing any SBR papers and muzzle device will accept a suppressor if he decides to add one.

Recently he has been looking at my website and pics I text him from builds and remembers seeing a fair number of Mk 12 Mod 0, 1 and H rifles and men running them busting bad guys with them at ranges the machinegunners could not even make the targets duck. We made an agreement if he buys the forearm and scope will build the rest out of my parts at no cost to him except the two items if want proper Mk 12 forearm and glass. He is going to come stay with us a couple days while we build it as a project he has a full hand in and better understands how an M4 is assembled. So now he is getting a second Uncle Huey rifle bit his wife is pregnant with their second son who will be raised as a patriotic Christian chilld active in church so figure he needs another poodle shooter to pass down to his kids. He is totally safe but the three tours as a forward observer have made him a different man. He can't sleep without pistol under his pillow and rifle next to bedpost. Was not like that before first deployment but wife has been a blessing to his wife explaining to her I have had a 1911 under the pillow plus spare on nightstand since we married 26 years ago and a rack of specialty long guns next to each side of bed. My plan is to plant seeds everywhere between now and God taking me home where a boating accident will disperse what is left.
Old November 17, 2018, 18:55   #6
Uriah Lee
Registered

What a noble gesture to gift a man facing combat with a Randal knife. I always wanted one for myself, but never had a generous uncle willing to hand me one. Nor did I have the where with all to sink the cash and wait for one.

Best ever could do was a hunter by Dozier and a folder from Chris Reeves. I believe it's a Sebenza. But not as flashy as the Randal, however, as finely crafted as they come. Have an assortment of nice mid level knives in the safe as well. Of late my carry choice has been by Benchmade. Decent steel and well crafted and not such an expensive loss if it gets away. And I do like their blade locking scheme too. Even still, the Benchmade knives aren't exactly inexpensive to replace.

Good American made knives are worth the premium they charge. It's too bad Gerber, Buck, and a bunch of others have turned to the dark side and slap their name on China junk. I won't even shop at Harbor freight if I can help it.
Old November 18, 2018, 18:02   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I still have a fair selection of nice blades but few left from collecting days that feel are appropriate to send to war with people I love. Knot that some would not be fine fighting knives but have several Al Mar fixed blade fighting knives that are mostly not perfect utility/fighting knives and the "made in Seki Japan" just doesn't need to be on a USGI's kit. While some of the finest blades on the planet have come out of Seki Japan and have a pile of Spyderco, Al Mar and some full customs made on Seki blades I have been keeping those to fill my personal needs and keep buying Randal 15's for gifting to troops.

It's cheaper to give them AR 15's as retirement gifts than Randall knives as deployment gifts but if they are going to come back all blown up or with scrambled brains it's the least I can do and fact that each of the knives comes back as a "used in active combat" versus sat in some goofy guys safe for decades will at least add sentimental value to their heirs if not monetary value as well. Found a few pics in phone of some of my remaining knives.

Cold Steel Damascus tanto with ivory handle:

Parker Damascus from when big "Rambo" knives sold at any price range even four figures:

A.G. Russel boot knife, I like this as a primary travel knife when walking streets of places like Paris:

This Spyderco is always clipped to rear beltloop and tucks into rear pocket of Levi's when travelling out of country and either have a Tanto or the Russel boot knife in small of back. Was one evening when accidentally wandered in a Sharia Law area of Paris had it not been for six inches of Seki Japan steel in strong hand and the Spyderco handed to wife with orders to run back direction we came fast as possible and hack the hell out of anyone that got in arms reach believe we would have been statistical numbers of tourists killed in Muslim neighborhoods. Was five on two but soon as I went aggressive and wife began running her flanking maneuver they disappeared like smoke.

Have several full size Al Mar fighting knives similar to this which actually have a pair of and are light sabre sharp. All of my overt rifle armor kits have one of these or similar model on board.

Have two Randall 15's in the pipeline and hoping my turn comes up before need them as the fleabay and other sellers knock a man pretty hard to have them in stock ready to ship. When gave my first then second Randall away wife was stunned as knows how much I liked my Randall's which were my favorites in the collection but she also realized that when I die they would just be more crap for her to dispose of so in giving to anyone close who deployed helped reduce her burden and was a darn decent thing to do. Drive a 27 year old truck that looks like it's been through a war and given away enough knives to buy a new truck but like my old truck. Long as have a tool kit in back and cell phone to have someone bring parts the truck is probably better than these overly complicated new models.
Old November 19, 2018, 09:52   #8
fmj_shooter
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75785
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Been looking for this burly receiver set for over a month. The real blessing is found the other matched set as well. Both were sent as was first pair of SWAT Firearms billet receiver sets purposely zip tied together as uppers and lowers were matched then pin holes line bored with them mated in a vice so there should be no error in fitment and these are as burly in wall thickness as DPMS Lo Pro receivers.
-snip-
Huey, make sure and check your mags in that SWAT receiver set. The ones I bought from them years ago had to be clearanced to fit Gen 3 Pmags with the over-insertion stop.
fmj_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2018, 11:07   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

This will be fourth SWAT Firearms receiver set have built on and they actually will match sets if you or LGS requests and line bore pin holes. Every employee at LGS has a build or two on them as well. None of us have had any magazine issues though have read online more than a few times of them not liking some Pmags. One of my LGS's overbought Pmags on tail of Sandy Hook panic so despite my disliking all polymer magazines began purchasing at least m one every trip in the door as my "tax" to walk around and waste their time and made a few bulk buys as he would offer as he had thousands in the back.

Pulled over a dozen from different lots, some with windows, some without and different colors to identify which ammo was in them. Of all I loaded with 25 rounds then installed the little clips on top of feed lips and put into MTM magazine boxes that hold 15 loaded AR mags per box over half will not fit in most of my AR's and were stored in temperature controlled home. Some swelled up in matter of months and some in about a year. The ones that swelled would not fit in DPMS, Mag Tactical, various high dollar billet lowers, Colt factory rifles and got crushed with a hammer then thrown in the trash. Had similar issues with other polymer magazines over the years especially if left loaded in a hot truck.

Now have several big boxes of Pmags still sealed in original packaging and when next high capacity magazine panic happens will become some Pmag fans issue. I use metal magazines and none of my SWAT receivers have problems and admit mags fit a tad snugger than many others, empties still drop free when press the mag release. I actually like the snug fit as present the tips of bullets more consistently than a wobbly magazine can which have seen create feed ramp erosion. With all the M855A1 ammunition I have now and military already having issues with the new ammo wearing feed ramps I like consistent presentation of bullet tips to feed ramps especially when shooting match ammo that every tip went through pointing die and some odd projectiles unsure how they are going to wear feed ranps.

Yes, I worry about too much but have some lowers with strategically placed spot welds filed to snug magazine fit. Will notice almost all my AR builds get a mag funnel so have huge hole to slam magazine into. Have used shims, spot welds and other tricks to help magazines to fit consistently but must still insert easily and drop free when empty without any extra help. Majority of my lowers are machined from reputable vendors and magazines fit well from the start. Will leave all the Pmags for others as have enough milsurp, Colt and other aluminum plus stainless magazines to last a battalion for a couple deployments. If not for good fitting metal mags for M11's and M10's being so hard to find have several dozen polymer MAC Mags would like to round can as have to fight them in when fully loaded and wrestle a tad to get them out once empty as well. Am a magazine snob and have probably rebuilt more magazines than most have owned. My high use 1911 and AR mags get torn down and resprung every year or two.