The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old October 18, 2018, 11:54   #1
ratas calientes
Registered

FALaholic #: 1841
ARs in 9 mms ... Any good forums etc.?

Been reading up on 9mms AR rifles and pistols lately. There sure are a lot of new and related products out lately. Any good forums or discussion groups to recommend for more info? Any experienced folks here?
Old October 18, 2018, 14:19   #2
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
SIG 2022 with Osprey 9 can firing 147 grain Federal HST or SIG 147 grain JHP as both are subsonic and if have time run the can "wet" per manufactures instructions and you have 17 rounds of bullet striking target the loudest sound in the room or area??? Have gotten two Colt AR 15's in 9mm during trades and both got traded on down the line. know a lot of people that love their 9mm AR's as inexpensive plinkers but it doesn't cost me much more to load full size rifle ammo. Have wanted to build an AR in pistol cartridge for some time but 10mm and 357 SIG or possibly 40 Smith might drag me back toward a pistol cartridge.

Will say the 9mm Colt AR's I owned for a sort period of time sure shot a lot better than my Ingrram/Cobray 9mm's and my old TEC 9's from the Hood. Used to do business with a pawn shop that took in the pre-ban TEC 9's if seller made it through his stringent shop rules to protect himself from cops taking guns when they came by to inspect his logs and inventory just because he knew I would buy them if cheap as leave at the scene weapons and walk away.

Give it about 24 hours and the Peanut Gallery around here will educate you fully on 9mm AR builds. There are several 9mm aficionados around here that can hook you up with any answers you might need. There are a couple of Colt Form 4 9mm AR's I would love to own if they didn't cost five figures to buy though cloning one with a binary trigger would be almost as good. What is your intent for it? Inexpensive range toy or room to room self defense?
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2018, 14:30   #3
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
I have one of the PSA 9mm Pistols that uses glock mags and does NOT have a bolt hold open.

Worked fine - accurate and soft shootin. Mostly a range toy tho I supose one could take a deer with it at 50yards.
nvcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2018, 15:59   #4
cavegeo
Contributor

FALaholic #: 11441
I built a 9 mm AR on a Frontier Arms polymer lower and a Modular 9 mm bolt. The upper I purchase from MAS Defense with no hand guard. Assembled the lower and the upper myself.

The only initial issue with the rifle was the recoil felt rather significant for being a pistol caliber. I changed the carbine buffer for a heavier buffer and the adjustable stock to a Magpul Moe and the recoil has no longer been an issue.

It has ran well until last week where I had some issues with ASC magazines where the follower were sticking in the body. Will clean the mag and try again next month.

I take my son and shoot the steel matches with him every month. I hope to use this rifle to move him up from his M&P-15 22 to a centerfire pistol round before moving to a carbine.
The whole point of being governed by a Constitution and not by men or directly by the people themselves was to stop incredible stupidity from annihilating our Freedoms. Tyranny of the majority is just as dangerous as any dictator. Especially when the majority is incredibly ******* stupid.

Last edited by cavegeo; October 18, 2018 at 16:06.
cavegeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2018, 16:15   #5
Trypcil
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
New Frontier have options at very reasonable prices for billet 9mm in Glock, and mp5 mag configs and maybe Colt(I forget) - plus uppers with non reciprocating side chargers, in a Fal manner. Joe bob Ar billets are New Frontier - I think fine stuff! Or you could go mag well adapter and build an upper. Either way you go - I have always felt the 'look' of the Glock mag'd AR9s, was just plain 'wrong looking', with that mag slanted back etc... - but that me.
Yet to build one, I admit, because really I want the CZ - tho' did research quite considerably - the hunt sometimes is better than the Kill, methinks!

I thought Pistol also, 'stocks, crutches, whatever 'braces', belts etc...', for want of a better description are expensive, if glamour is what fixates within - legal function, or just plain crap! Barrels are cheap, often melonited, Bolts are as complex as they are wanted to be - and expense is an argument of quality and belief.

Here's a bookmark or 3!

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/...9mm-ars.17671/

http://blackcreekprecision.com/parts...receivers.html

https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/sh...milspec-stock/

I could go on with barrels.....but I won't!

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The point of the journey, is not to arrive..." Hexabuzz.
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2018, 16:30   #6
bfoosh006
Registered

FALaholic #: 29366
AR15.com has a forum dedicated to PCC's and .22LR's

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Ri...l-Calibers/15/

And...

Here is chrono data for 129 different factory 9x19 loads... ( not many of the 147gr remained subsonic from a 16" barrel )

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/16...th-/16-712312/
bfoosh006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2018, 17:59   #7
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvcdl View Post
I have one of the PSA 9mm Pistols that uses glock mags and does NOT have a bolt hold open.

Worked fine - accurate and soft shootin. Mostly a range toy tho I supose one could take a deer with it at 50yards.
I watched a fellow shoot a some type of 9mm UZI carbine at the range one time. It had a 16" barrel to be legal and was an interesting conversation piece. I recall he struggled to hit the 50 yard berm with it though. I never saw him or that gun again so I don't know if it was his accuracy, the gun itself, or weak ammo that he just couldn't walk on target. Still, that left an impression on me that's what I think of when I see 9mm AR rifles for sale.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2018, 20:02   #8
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
I enjoyed designing and building mine a lot. I took aspects from several successful WW2 designs and incorporated them into it along with several personal touches.

I would be lying if I didn't admit that I enjoy shooting it more than making it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onon...ature=youtu.be
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2018, 22:07   #9
Delta-3
Registered

FALaholic #: 36449
I run a CMMG Mk9 9mm pistol w/ 8" barrel & an SB3 brace. It uses the Colt pattern 32rd mags. I only have a little over 2500 rds through it but it has been stellar! No malfunctions at all & is superbly accurate. Making hits out to 100yds using a Trijicon MRO are boringly easy.
Old October 19, 2018, 12:54   #10
ratas calientes
Registered

FALaholic #: 1841
Great info. Thanks.

I started by looking at semi-auto sub guns like the CZ Scorpion, that led to the Extar EP9, Stribog, B&T, Sig, then a lot of ARs with Glock mags, etc. Lots of similar products out there. I like the look of the old Colt mags the most. Got close to just getting a magwell conversion but I found I could just get a dedicated lower for about the same price. Found a CMMG and I should have it by tomorrow. Meanwhile I'll read the links and educate myself more.
Old October 19, 2018, 17:19   #11
fal762
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 66358
I just found 4 old aftermarket Glock 18 (metal) magazines in the back of a drawer I forgot about. May have to get a 9mm AR pistol myself, I love my .45acp AR pistol!!
fal762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2018, 00:20   #12
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
I got one that uses Glock mags, pick up the parts from PSA, thing runs great, accurate, reliable, mama loves it.
Eats anything.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2018, 08:07   #13
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

I built a braced side charging glock mag AR pistol. Once I get the suppressor on it, it'll be my go to house gun.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2018, 13:12   #14
M90A1
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 3409
If you have some MagPul AR mags, try some of these. I got some and they are absolutely awesome. They work perfectly and save the price of 9mm specific magazines, lower receiver or insert, etc. Plus, people freak out when they realize you are shooting 9mm out of 5.56 mags.

https://www.meanarms.com/products/detail/endomag-9mm
M90A1 is online now   Reply With Quote