The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old December 26, 2018, 20:12   #1
Ctc67
Registered

FALaholic #: 75781
Para rear sight on an 18" L1A1

Will a Para rear sight work on an 18" L1A1 upper or will be it too short?
Ctc67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2018, 11:38   #2
Trypcil
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
I would say too short - and you might still have to lower your front sight, as it seems shorter barrels shoot lower for some reason - others may chime in!

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2018, 20:34   #3
Mako72
Registered

FALaholic #: 80974
Gonna keep an eye o this. I have an older Century I was thinking of cutting back to about 18.5. Plus, the L1A1 sight wobbles all over the place. Was thinking a Para might split the difference and give a more stable sight.
Mako72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2018, 22:11   #4
Ctc67
Registered

I have an 18" L1A1 and one of Adam762's Para adapter kits for inch lowers that allows you to keep the standard rear sight but was curious, might just use a standard metric para lower if the para sight would work.
Old December 27, 2018, 22:38   #5
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
Gunthings sells a short standard metric sight base that is for the metric para lower. I imagine you could stick a tall Izzy aperture in it and that would give you the height you need for the L1A1 front sight.

http://www.gunthings.com/

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2018, 23:13   #6
Ctc67
Registered

Thank you! I will definitely pick one of those up if I decide to go with a metric lower. I had seen shortened ramps before but that is an actual dedicated para ramp with correct yardage.
Old December 27, 2018, 23:33   #7
kysjck
Registered

FALaholic #: 31833
A metric PARA or any metric lower has the sight dove tail at the same height as the inch lowers. So there's no advantage. When you say PARA sight, do you mean the FN duel aperture flip sight or the Holland rear sight used on the 50.63 PARAs? Both are often called PARA sights. With the short barrel, an inch rear sight may be a little short but there are no taller rear sights. Izzie/Argentine rear sights are 3mm shorter than inch sights and late metric low sight line sights including PARAs are another 3mm lower still. The Canadian disc type rear sight will fit the PARA lower with no modification to either the lower, PARA stock hinge, or the sight itself. They are a bit difficult to find, but are the best solution. Mark at ARS has or had those short ramps too. I had a gunsmith weld up the aperture on an Izzie rear sight blade and drill a new hole 3mm higher. I just wanted a none folding inch rear sight. The same thing plus the short ramp would also work well. Adam762's adapter may provide room for a full inch rear sight ramp. I haven't tried one yet. Another member Mountainman perhaps made tall apertures for the flip type PARA sights.
kysjck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2018, 00:13   #8
kysjck
Registered

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=276591 This photo of Adam762's adapter installed on an inch lower appears to show the full inch sight base/ramp. So original Britt and Aussie rear sights work unmodified.
Old December 28, 2018, 00:16   #9
kysjck
Registered

The whole thread got moved. The photo I'm referring to is in post #23.
Old December 28, 2018, 00:57   #10
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
One from left field. It just so happens that the rear sight aperture from the 1954 and 55 EX1 is about 1/8 inch taller than the Izzy aperture. Sooo... if you want to use a metric para lower with the Gunthings short ramp while using an L1A1 front end and you have a 1954 or 55 tall Belgian aperture lying around, well there you go. Some reading on aperture heights: https://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429402

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2018, 15:31   #11
kysjck
Registered

There are no taller rear sights than inch pattern. They are 3mm or about 1/8" taller than the Israelis. If the EX1s are the same height they should work on a 21" barrel like the inch sights. The 18" barrel may need something even taller like other short barreled FALs. The inch front sight can be screwed down easier than metrics, so a shortened inch front sight post wouldn't look too bad. The pictures of Adam762's inch PARA adapter indicate the short ramp isn't needed. So the OP can use any inch rear sight unmodified. The EX1 rear sight, if he could find one, would allow the use of any metric ramp, not necessarily the short ramp. Also any inch or metric lower can take both types of rear sights.
Old December 28, 2018, 16:28   #12
Ctc67
Registered

Thank you all for the info! I was curious as to what my options would be if I used a standard metric Para lower vs. the inch lower with adapter. I'd love to find one of the Canadian C1 sights just for the neat factor. I did manage to pick up a Hythe rear sight and may go ahead and use it on the L1A1 para.
Old December 29, 2018, 00:00   #13
kysjck
Registered

Using a metric PARA lower would surprisingly reduce your options. Adam762 makes a brilliantly designed adapter. It allows an inch lower to be converted to take the PARA folding stock with a simple tang cut off. No machine shop needed. As a bonus it lets the builder use a standard ramped rear sight, inch or metric, as manufactured. Another plus is that it adds approximately 1/2" to the PARA stock length of pull. PARA stocks are 1 1/2" shorter than normal length inch and metric straight stocks.
Old December 29, 2018, 01:10   #14
Mako72
Registered

As I am no expert... and I tried some searching unsuccessfully. I found comparisons of sights heights for Metric FALs, but not much comparing Inch to Metric. Itís my understanding the Paras are a touch higher than a standard FAL metric, but how do the actually compare height wise to an Inch?

I only ask, because it seems to me my Inch front has at least 1/4-3/8 it could be lowered with no problem. Worst case, I guess maybe one has to shorten the bottom of the front. I guess ears will be a little long, but if your posts are in the right place...

So I guess I am asking, are there any photo or measurement comparisons of the Metric vs Para vs Inch sight heights? If not can anyone point me in the right direction.
Old December 29, 2018, 16:22   #15
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMANPBK View Post
Well here's a rough idea of what we got.

Last edited by Invictus77; December 29, 2018 at 17:17. Reason: Updated pic with more info
Invictus77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2018, 22:49   #16
Mako72
Registered

Invictus77, Thank you and Oldman! Very informative visually. It looks like the distance between lines is .325 or about 6.25 mm. Looking at the sights it looks like there is roughly 4 mm difference.

A quick check of my CAI L1A1 measures at 5 mm of exposed thread that could be reduced. It does leave the flat of the post a little low, but still decently sightable, more like a regular FAL. Hmmm...
Old January 01, 2019, 22:50   #17
kysjck
Registered

Actually measuring the the various sight line heights is difficult. Any distance measurement requires a reference point and there's no good one on FAL sight lines. I even took a tight string from the aperture to the top of the front sight post. I then measured from the string to various points on the upper and barrel. Invictus77's photo verifies my findings. All inch sights are the same and taller than any metric sights. Ishipore, Argy, Izzie, and early metrics are the same and about 3mm shorter than inch pattern. Late metric sights thanks to the Bundeswehr are another 3mm shorter. There is an unexplained phenomena that makes short barreled FALs shoot low. This has to be rectified with a shorter front sight post, that sometimes leaves nothing but a 1/8" or shorter nub to zero the sights. Your 18" inch barrel would be no exception. Inch front sight posts can be shortened more than metrics without producing a poor sight picture. So inch bitch gun sights are less problematic than metric PARA/carbine sights. In any event you want the tallest rear sighs available, ie. inch pattern. Adam762 makes that easy with his inch/PARA adapter.