The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old December 10, 2018, 13:20   #1
Scott V2
Registered

FALaholic #: 10082
What is the going rate of 7.62 brass?

I am down-sizing on a lot of stuff lately. I am probably going to be letting go of a bunch of brass soon.

What is the current rate for military, once fired, processed 7.62 brass (de-primed, pocket reamed, sized, trimmed). I cannot remember what company I purchased it from.

Most of it is LC.

Please keep the reply relevant, i.e. same caliber, same type and condition.
Old December 10, 2018, 13:29   #2
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Around 20 cents.

https://www.armorally.com/shop/proce...ity-308-brass/
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2018, 13:33   #3
bill3542
Registered

FALaholic #: 5675
Paid 18 cents each for 100 cases of once fired commercial at a local shop today.
Old December 13, 2018, 18:03   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Been paying 16 cents for once fired Lake City stainless pin tumbled and 22 cents each for once fired Lake City stainless pin tumbled, deprimed, primer pocket swaged, and sized. Have purchased the sized and primer swaged to eliminate a few steps when in a hurry to process a large lot. Guy I buy from prefers to sell full flat rate boxes in small, medium or large.

I prefer to process my brass myself. I tumble in walnut shell first, size in small based die, uniform primer pockets using a cutter set to proper depth for large rifle primers, trim to length using a three way cutter so all champher and reaming is consistent then deburr primer pockets. Following these first steps run through annealing machine then corn cobb tumble and run through Whidden Click Adjustable shoulder bump and neck size die to ensure that final tumble and all the handling didn't dent any necks and shoulders are totally consistent.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018, 18:27   #5
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
In my annual spring cleaning sale I sell my previous years brass locally. Mine is all once fired, but a mix of Hirt, Perfecta, ZQI, Mayasian, or whatever 762 I happened to buy at a good price. Same type of mixed lot in 556 as well. Usually about 2,000 556 and 1000+ 762, all in "range pick-up" condition.

I have been selling the 556 for a nickel each and the 762 for 7 cents.

Are my prices too low or is this pretty close for mixed range brass?
Old December 13, 2018, 23:12   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
In my annual spring cleaning sale I sell my previous years brass locally. Mine is all once fired, but a mix of Hirt, Perfecta, ZQI, Mayasian, or whatever 762 I happened to buy at a good price. Same type of mixed lot in 556 as well. Usually about 2,000 556 and 1000+ 762, all in "range pick-up" condition.

I have been selling the 556 for a nickel each and the 762 for 7 cents.

Are my prices too low or is this pretty close for mixed range brass?
Not really if don't have to fool with shipping for mixed, especially if there is Berdan and Perfecta mixed in. I throw Perfecta in the give away bucket as do others I know. Break too many decapping pins if have Perfecta in lot as flash holes can be way off center. Seen them closer to edge of primer pocket than center and ZQI is not always well centered but better than Perfecta.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old December 14, 2018, 22:16   #7
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Huey, you replied in one paragraph. Are you sick or you had to type that reply while trying to reattach an arm or something?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2018, 22:42   #8
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Its kind of a big deal whether seller will warrant that sized brass was....

SIZED CORRECTLY

I have bought sized brass twice, and once paid somebody (who had a good reputation) to size brass for me.

THEY FUGKED IT UP EVERY TIME

Last time the guy must have had the head of his die mis-indexed for the whole batch. I mean one thousand pieces. Goddammit. The necks had 0.013" runout at the junction of the base of the neck and the shoulder. Visible deformation of every single fugking piece. Then the guy tried to say it was my match-grade M1A that must be the problem.

I will NEVER buy brass that somebody else sized again.

I will buy either NEW BRASS, or dirty-as-shit range brass. Nothing that anybody else has had their dick-beaters on.

So, you couldn't pay me to take your "sized" brass.
It is less than worthless to me.

Sorry if I'm being a dick.
But, my asshole is still bleeding from previous amorous encounters.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2018, 05:29   #9
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Totally agree with the last post.

Good new brass is worth the investment.
RVN 67-68
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2018, 12:05   #10
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
WEG's point is valid

often someone is trying to pawn off SAW brass

now SAW brass can be made decent, but it must be absolutely clean then roll sized before attempting to use a regular type resizing die, it will be ok for blasting ammo but will never be up to "snuff" for real accurate work

but then again YMMV
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2018, 13:50   #11
Scott V2
Registered

FALaholic #: 10082
When/if I sell the brass, I will post pics of measurements with calipers and sizing dies. I have been running some of it through my LMT DSA barrelled to a Belgian barrel without any issues.

The above mentioned points/experiences are highly valid
Old December 16, 2018, 01:31   #12
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Guy I buy from roll sizes his and doesn't overdo which leaves me room to anneal it first then run through a few easy steps for plate busting and plinking ammo that is good to go. I buy a lot of reloading equipment and components from estates and will have hundreds of rifle cases so moneyed up either pitch in my give away box. If not horrible load with my fire forming charge and start all over after running through a rifle that it won't hurt but will allow it to settle back into its proper once fired or 1.5 times fired as my fireforming charge is light and just loaded to ensure brass expands to fill chamber and hit the ground ready to be processed correctly.

Amazing how many cases I see with shoulders set way too far back or totally collapsed. Bottom of cases over size and necks actually miss centered. Some can fix but if wife fails it I don't even check behind her as she can use a shoulder gauge and check for run out on necks without me second guessing her. Why I buy my once fired and processed from only one vendor due to years of always getting good brass from him.
Old December 28, 2018, 07:22   #13
HankC
Registered

FALaholic #: 20436
Quote:
once fired, processed 7.62 brass (de-primed, pocket reamed, sized, trimmed).
Once processed, can't tell if once fired. I see folks sell fired 308 brass at 8 -12 cents a piece and I paid 8 cents/piece shipped myself. I bought 2K pulled Lake City brass, unfired, at 12 cents/piece 2 yrs ago.
HankC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2018, 11:01   #14
762gunr
Registered

FALaholic #: 69517
I've used this guy for about 4k of 7.62. He's been out for awhile now.
http://valhalladistributing.com/?page_id=5
762gunr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2019, 09:25   #15
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Still have plenty of 308 from a fellow here some time back. This was all M118LR Brass.
It was expensive back then...don’t see any for sale lately.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote