The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old December 31, 2012, 13:57   #51
72jeep
Registered

FALaholic #: 67091
Location: Ex canadian Army I used a FNC1 for years Wawa Ont Canada
Looks like in the back of a Duce I was fly over as a reserve in 83. back when the russens shot down KAL Flight 007.
72jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2012, 14:09   #52
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72jeep View Post
Looks like in the back of a Duce I was fly over as a reserve in 83. back when the russens shot down KAL Flight 007.
Yup, back of a Deuce, I think.
I was a Radop, so I went anywhere! LOL
Old December 31, 2012, 14:23   #53
72jeep
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCdnSoldierInTx View Post
Yup, back of a Deuce, I think.
I was a Radop, so I went anywhere! LOL
I was a Combat Engineer we deployed with every one.in one year I was 200 days in the field.
Old December 31, 2012, 14:48   #54
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Quote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2213935...in/photostream

Nope I still cant do it
but It does say I may not post attacments
You need to right click on the image and select "copy image url".

Then when pasting it into your post put the IMG tags before and after or select the small "Insert Image" icon in the message toolbar.

Has nothing to do with attachments.
Old December 31, 2012, 15:16   #55
72jeep
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
You need to right click on the image and select "copy image url".

Then when pasting it into your post put the IMG tags before and after or select the small "Insert Image" icon in the message toolbar.

Has nothing to do with attachments.
I click on copy but by the tim I try it paste its not there this is the only webpage I've had issues with.
Old December 31, 2012, 15:22   #56
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Quote:
I click on copy but by the tim I try it paste its not there this is the only webpage I've had issues with.
On your link above in post 47 you can right click on the picture and it gives you an option of what size picture you want then click on any one of them. It will then jump to a page showing the size of the photo you just clicked on. Now you can right click on the photo and you will have the "copy image url" option.

Come back here and type (without the period in it) [IM.G] paste your link here, and then [/IM.G] (without the period)
Old December 31, 2012, 15:40   #57
SteelonSteel
Veteran Member
Contributor

FALaholic #: 18603
Quote:
Yessir. In the front. Big gut hanging over and all! That's a VERY, VERY long time ago
that is very cool to have a pic pop up from 30 years ago!

I went to Parris Island in 87 and by that time the little graduation year book thing was mostly some stock pictures and a few class pics. I think other than my main pic, I got my arm in a bayonet drill shot.
SteelonSteel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2012, 15:58   #58
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelonSteel View Post

I went to Parris Island in 87 and by that time the little graduation year book thing was mostly some stock pictures and a few class pics. I think other than my main pic, I got my arm in a bayonet drill shot.
Yeah.

I had none, and at a reunion of old CF guys, I got the word out. Several showed up, this one is the clearest.
Maybe more someday?
Problem is, I seved with overseas a lot, and people passed through on rotation, so I never made lot of friends. Plus, I was always on TD (TDY) to the US Forces, so I never made alt of friends there either.

I had a couple of Brits stuck to the end of my fist a few times, but hey, I don't hint I wanna meet them anymore either..LOL!
Old December 31, 2012, 15:58   #59
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:

Yup, we never took photos on deployment. It was always in drills and in garrison.
Old December 31, 2012, 16:00   #60
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
We're you in Petawawa? I was in Kingston with 1 CSR
Old December 31, 2012, 17:14   #61
72jeep
Registered

Quote:
I did my prep in Pet then off to 4CER.
Old May 26, 2013, 07:28   #62
DABTL
Banned

FALaholic #: 138
I may have the only sniper scope storage can and kit in the group.

I figured a pic was appropriate. Took me the better part of ten years to find one.

DABTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 02, 2013, 23:05   #63
enbloc8
Registered

FALaholic #: 51665
Quote:
Originally Posted by DABTL View Post

I figured a pic was appropriate. Took me the better part of ten years to find one.

Curious...how does this compare to a SUIT?
enbloc8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2013, 18:21   #64
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABTL View Post

That's a nice piece, for sure. It looks like it's in good condition.

I've never seen one in person, just heard about them. Guys who used them loved them, they had a better sight picture than a SUIT, wasn't offset like a SUIT, and of course, more magnification.

I guess to have one, I'd have to sell the 55 Crown Vic, the 66 Ambassador convert, and maybe the plane.
If I didn't, my wife would probably take them in the divorce anyway...
Old August 07, 2013, 21:50   #65
Lee Carpentieri
Registered

FALaholic #: 4936
Canadian C1/C1A1 Sniper scope system

DABTL, I bought my Canadian sniper scope, mount and Can over 14 years ago and still have it for my C1 setup.
Old August 07, 2013, 22:44   #66
SteelonSteel
Veteran Member
Contributor

FALaholic #: 18603
Quote:
Hell I'm just on the other side of Wolf island for the moment. That's the post by the mouth of the river I assume, near the prison?
SteelonSteel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 07, 2013, 23:32   #67
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Hell I'm just on the other side of Wolf island for the moment. That's the post by the mouth of the river I assume, near the prison?
It is near the prison, yes.

Most of us all, me included, weren't in garrison much, usually on TD somewhere shitty.
Old September 28, 2014, 16:48   #68
Headhunter11
Registered

FALaholic #: 33724

Here's the latest project I've been working on. Wouldn't have been possible without some help from some awesome guys on this board. Specifically Sk8man,Coltwalker,C1-eh1, and eagle54. Its almost finished, just missing a fewthings.
Headhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2014, 06:23   #69
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter11 View Post

Here's the latest project I've been working on. Wouldn't have been possible without some help from some awesome guys on this board. Specifically Sk8man,Coltwalker,C1-eh1, and eagle54. Its almost finished, just missing a fewthings.
Now that looks sweet! Get her done, then get out and start putting some lead on target..
Old October 10, 2014, 06:26   #70
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

That's odd. It looks like my build and finished pics and posts are all gone.. Odd

Here's an old pic with the PAS-4 mounted.

image.jpg

Last edited by ExCdnSoldierInTx; February 18, 2017 at 01:47.
ExCdnSoldierInTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017, 01:42   #71
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

My nephew doing his thing with my old 3L C1A1.

image.jpg

Last edited by ExCdnSoldierInTx; February 20, 2017 at 00:03.
Old February 19, 2017, 18:35   #72
Protector68
Registered

FALaholic #: 79189
Looking for C1/C1A1 parts

Hello all I'm new to this forum. I have owned FALs in the past and sold all of them but had the FAL bug so deep that I needed to get another one. I purchased a DSArms 21" Voyager and have been looking around for parts to replicate it to look like a C1 or C1A1. I think that the Canadian Inch FN is the sharpest looking FN out of all the commonwealth FNs. Well anyway I am very late to the party, all the C1/C1A1 parts are all gone. I recently found a Belgian metric open eared gas block/sight, went to marstar to get a Canadian lower with Canadian butt stock, C1 buttplate and won a Canadian C1A1 break down switch, trigger and complete wood grip. I found a beat up wood handguard with the two oval holes and have a Belgian T48 flash hider. I know it won't be 100% or even 60% but I would like to make it look as close to an original as possible. Also need a rear sight base since I got all the other rear sight parts. So what I'm missing is Brown carry handle, selector switch, no hole handguards. Rear sight base. I would also like to have the upper receiver milled to look like a C1 with thumb groove. Any thoughts, leads or sales would greatly be appreciated.
Protector68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2017, 19:46   #73
raexcct2
GIMP EX-CCT
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2784
Contact FAL Files member skyrooster, I believe, and he'll probably have most of the parts you need. You can also post a WTB thread here on the Files and you'll find these parts.

You started about 10 years too late but part of the enjoyment of this hobby is the hunt for the parts.

I have a C1A1 (8L) build and complete parts for a second build (used as my spares) and I agree the C1A1 is the best of the lot.
raexcct2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017, 00:15   #74
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Protector,

Agreed, the C1A1 rifles are the best, by far. Hard to find too, as comparatively very few parts ever seemed to make it out.
Canadian specific flash hiders are available on gunbroker for cheap. 20-30 bucks will easily get you one.
You'll need the correct hold open device, top cover, and the the selector switch is similar to the Brit and Aussie style.
Brown carry handles occasionally appear on gunbroker as well 150-300 bucks on average.
Rear sights do as well.

I recommend a DSA Aussie upper if you can find one. Place an ad here in the MP, offer good money and one might loosen up from somewhere.
You're on you're own with the machining.
I found a guy here who did it. He machined the early 3L style lighting cut in the magwell, plus the thumb reliefs.
It was a hope for the best moment, but it worked.

Oh, make sure you get a 21" inch pattern barrel. And don't forget the sling swivels.

Good luck. I have enough stuff to do another rifle or two if I'm ever ready, but I'm so very content with the one I have. It's true love!

Oh, and remember, if you're doing a C1A1, plenty still had the double slotted handguards as well.
But there are very nice reproductions of the solid style out there. There is even a member here who makes them....

Last edited by ExCdnSoldierInTx; February 20, 2017 at 00:20.
Old February 22, 2017, 18:00   #75
UtahFALUser
Registered

FALaholic #: 78887
I've started by C1A1 build, with a rear sight from Skyrooster and a lower from 7.62, both found here on the files.
UtahFALUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017, 23:26   #76
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFALUser View Post
I've started by C1A1 build, with a rear sight from Skyrooster and a lower from 7.62, both found here on the files.
What series are you building? Early or late lightened?
Old February 23, 2017, 11:00   #77
UtahFALUser
Registered

FALaholic #: 78887
Quote:
What series are you building? Early or late lightened?
Probably early, the later parts like the replaceable sight ears seem more difficult to find.

I'm only 2 parts into it (lower and sight), so we will see.
UtahFALUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 06, 2017, 07:41   #78
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

You'll have more work to do on the upper, then, depending on how early you go.
Old March 12, 2017, 10:09   #79
Protector68
Registered

FALaholic #: 79189
Well gentleman I was going for the C1 look since it had a Type 1 lightening cut but the C1A1 has deffinatly grown on me. The bolt hold open for The Canadian receiver will it work on a metric receiver as well?
Protector68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017, 18:03   #80
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector68 View Post
Well gentleman I was going for the C1 look since it had a Type 1 lightening cut but the C1A1 has deffinatly grown on me. The bolt hold open for The Canadian receiver will it work on a metric receiver as well?
Remember, most C1's were rebuilt to C1A1 standards, but they kept their early receivers with the metric looking lightening cuts. So you can keep your metric look with an inch rifle.
That's what I did: used a DSA Aussie and cut the upper to the early style C1 specs. So it's a rebuilt C1.
Old March 16, 2017, 21:43   #81
enbloc8
Registered

FALaholic #: 51665
Quote:
Remember, most C1's were rebuilt to C1A1 standards, but they kept their early receivers with the metric looking lightening cuts. So you can keep your metric look with an inch rifle.
That's what I did: used a DSA Aussie and cut the upper to the early style C1 specs. So it's a rebuilt C1.
Do we know at what point the lightening cuts changed? I seem to recall a reference that the change came sometime around 1960...though without better serial-number-to-year information that's pretty useless.
enbloc8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2017, 10:27   #82
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by enbloc8 View Post
Do we know at what point the lightening cuts changed? I seem to recall a reference that the change came sometime around 1960...though without better serial-number-to-year information that's pretty useless.
I don't know. All I know is that I mostly carried a 3L rifle, and mine had the metric cuts.
I thought somewhere around 5L?
When I built my rifle, I tried to exactly duplicate my old rifle, right down to the last bit, and it was all C1A1 but with the earlier upper style. (Non simplified)

I don't have the FAL bible, all my info is from research and memories.
Old March 18, 2017, 12:58   #83
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
How do you find the match up of the inch barrel to a metric DSA Type 1 receiver?
The cocking handle slide fold, magazine notch and top cover rear tab cuts are easy to convert on a metric and not an issue for me.
Old March 18, 2017, 13:11   #84
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

I've heard of guys doing that. Never seen it though, because more to do with me. I'd have known it wasn't "right" and it would irk me.
As far as I'm aware, the only metric Canadian rifle was the EX1.
Old March 18, 2017, 20:39   #85
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

In order to build a C1 type you would need a Type 1 metric receiver with the early C1 cuts on the Magazine well, right? I don't believe there is or ever was a commercial inch C1 type receiver on the market.

I built a very close EX1 clone back in the 1980's when the parts were pretty easy to find in Canada gun shops.
Old March 18, 2017, 21:50   #86
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Quote:
I've heard of guys doing that. Never seen it though, because more to do with me. I'd have known it wasn't "right" and it would irk me.
As far as I'm aware, the only metric Canadian rifle was the EX1.
The original C1 was metric, and many were built. The C1A1 was imperial. Stevens book covers this pretty well.
Old March 18, 2017, 22:23   #87
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakTo View Post
In order to build a C1 type you would need a Type 1 metric receiver with the early C1 cuts on the Magazine well, right? I don't believe there is or ever was a commercial inch C1 type receiver on the market.

I built a very close EX1 clone back in the 1980's when the parts were pretty easy to find in Canada gun shops.
Kevin Adams wrote and copyrighted a 4 page document entitled: "I hear you say, "I want to build a Canadian C1A1 Rifle." Here’s a guide on what you need to build yourself a C1A1 rifle, you will find it's not as hard as you think." I have also included the introduction:

"I hear you say, "I want to build a Canadian C1A1 Rifle." Here’s a guide on what you need to build yourself a C1A1 rifle, you will find it's not as hard as you think.

Most people who contemplate making a Canadian C1A1 rifle think they have to have the gas block with the removable foresight protectors, this is not so. ONLY the very last of the C1A1 rifles made in 1968 were fitted with the 'C2A1' foresight protectors. In total maybe 1500 rifles were done like this. Also you will not be able to find the correctly machined receiver, as there is no manufacturer out there making this type of late concession model receiver.

The Standard C1 rifle as made by the Canadians from 1956 - 1962 were based on a imperial conversion of the metric made FN EX1 rifles. When the production was undertaken using imperial measurements the design of the receiver (upper receiver) was in the same style as what is now known as the METRIC Type 1 receiver. With this as the bases of the C1 rifle build we shall begin.

It is an invaluable resource if you are contemplating a C1 build from scratch. I have a copy and tried to post it but it is too large. I'll look for the original link.

Old March 19, 2017, 08:38   #88
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Thank you and that confirms the photos of the earlier C1's in Steven's North American FAL's.
Before I built my latest BGS on a DSA G1 marked receiver I tried to hand tighten with it on a commercial inch barrel. It turned a couple of turns and stopped. So it appears it may not be an exact match and I always like to first do my homework before starting a new project.
Old March 21, 2017, 20:43   #89
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post
The original C1 was metric, and many were built. The C1A1 was imperial. Stevens book covers this pretty well.
The C1s I handled and used were all inch, all the time. They interchanged with Brit and Aussie stuff in depots all the time.
As far as I was ever told, C1s were the original inch rifle, but had the metric lightening cut and of course the thumb relief inside and out for the stripper clip.

Most C1s was rebuilt to C1A1 standards when they were run through the shops for repair.
The receiver was very similar to a metric type 1, but was imperial measurements and C1s apparently used breeching washers like all others as well. They were the first Commonwealth rifle in service, and remember, Canada did the "conversion" to inch pattern.
I just got off the phone with an old weapons reach buddy, and he verified this although he wasn't up on our jargon.

I'm pretty darn sure of this, but other than the few EX1s, which weren't even issue, Canada NEVER fielded a metric rifle. Ever.

I'd bet the farm on this, guys.
Old March 21, 2017, 20:49   #90
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakTo View Post
Thank you and that confirms the photos of the earlier C1's in Steven's North American FAL's.
Before I built my latest BGS on a DSA G1 marked receiver I tried to hand tighten with it on a commercial inch barrel. It turned a couple of turns and stopped. So it appears it may not be an exact match and I always like to first do my homework before starting a new project.
Just read the red. LOL. That's exactly what I've been saying, but he said it MUCH clearer. Yes, they were INCH rifles, but they had metric features on the inch measurement upper. They had their own style, unlike the Brits, Aussies, and Kiwis, until they changed it slightly with the new build A1.
This is NOT a metric, it is all inch, all the time, nothing other than inch stuff interchanged with them, just different cosmetics on the upper. I'll also will say this with 100% certainty, inch Mage were used on C1s.
My carry rifle in service was a rebuilt C1 exactly as I built my C1A1, and the rebuilt rifles were also called C1A1.

If you build a C1 on a metric tripe 1, you'll get the look, but it won't be "right". The "right" way is to machine a DSA Aussie to look like the C1 style.
Not that it matters, it's your rifle. But I sweat bullets hoping my machinist wouldn't ruin my DSA when he cut that lightening cut in the magwell. I about crapped myself.
I'd put my rifle up against any original C1, and with the exception of the safest sear stuff and the DSA stamping, I'd honestly say you couldn't tell the difference.
Not bragging guys, sorry, just saying I built MY old rifle right to the notches that were in the wood.

Last edited by ExCdnSoldierInTx; March 21, 2017 at 21:00.
Old March 21, 2017, 21:25   #91
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3isMe View Post
Kevin Adams wrote and copyrighted a 4 page document entitled: "I hear you say, "I want to build a Canadian C1A1 Rifle." Here’s a guide on what you need to build yourself a C1A1 rifle, you will find it's not as hard as you think." I have also included the introduction:

"I hear you say, "I want to build a Canadian C1A1 Rifle." Here’s a guide on what you need to build yourself a C1A1 rifle, you will find it's not as hard as you think.

Most people who contemplate making a Canadian C1A1 rifle think they have to have the gas block with the removable foresight protectors, this is not so. ONLY the very last of the C1A1 rifles made in 1968 were fitted with the 'C2A1' foresight protectors. In total maybe 1500 rifles were done like this. Also you will not be able to find the correctly machined receiver, as there is no manufacturer out there making this type of late concession model receiver.

The Standard C1 rifle as made by the Canadians from 1956 - 1962 were based on a imperial conversion of the metric made FN EX1 rifles. When the production was undertaken using imperial measurements the design of the receiver (upper receiver) was in the same style as what is now known as the METRIC Type 1 receiver. With this as the bases of the C1 rifle build we shall begin.

It is an invaluable resource if you are contemplating a C1 build from scratch. I have a copy and tried to post it but it is too large. I'll look for the original link.

I have this document as a digital copy. My donor DSA inch receiver is getting the scallop cut right now and then it's build time.
mp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017, 20:59   #92
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Just read the red. LOL. That's exactly what I've been saying, but he said it MUCH clearer. Yes, they were INCH rifles, but they had metric features on the inch measurement upper. They had their own style, unlike the Brits, Aussies, and Kiwis, until they changed it slightly with the new build A1.
This is NOT a metric, it is all inch, all the time, nothing other than inch stuff interchanged with them, just different cosmetics on the upper. I'll also will say this with 100% certainty, inch Mage were used on C1s.
My carry rifle in service was a rebuilt C1 exactly as I built my C1A1, and the rebuilt rifles were also called C1A1.

If you build a C1 on a metric tripe 1, you'll get the look, but it won't be "right". The "right" way is to machine a DSA Aussie to look like the C1 style.
Not that it matters, it's your rifle. But I sweat bullets hoping my machinist wouldn't ruin my DSA when he cut that lightening cut in the magwell. I about crapped myself.
I'd put my rifle up against any original C1, and with the exception of the safest sear stuff and the DSA stamping, I'd honestly say you couldn't tell the difference.
Not bragging guys, sorry, just saying I built MY old rifle right to the notches that were in the wood.
The reality is you will wait long and hard to find a DSA L1A1 inch receiver at this point in time and when you do be willing to get scalped.
I decided to go with a DSA Type 1 R1 receiver which I have in my possession. C1's were manufactured up to about the 20,000 serial number range and my plan is to build a clone in the 02 range.

I have done Type 3 Century conversions on $99 L1A1 parts kits in the past so I know the conversion process.
The front rails of the receiver's charging handle slide need to be cut to accommodate the folding charging handle and rounded off at the base to match the front contour of the inch receiver.
The charging handle slide rails are too wide for the metric receiver rails and the rails need to be taken down a little to fit.
The metric magazine well catch needs to be deepened and contoured for the inch magazine front tab.
The entrance hole on the magazine release cross pin needs to be slightly widened to allow the pin enter flush with the pin exit hole.
The inside rear of the receiver needs to be contoured on both sides to accommodate the top cover rear stops.
The carry handle will change to early smooth wood.
The locking latch will change to early 1st pattern.
The hand guards will require the 2 vent cuts on both sides.
The DSA R1 metric receiver hand tightens at 11 o'clock on the DSA inch barrel but leaves a small gap between the front of the receiver and receiver flats. So, I will use a breaching washer to close the gap. This may change the hand timing to 10:30.

Last edited by DakTo; April 29, 2017 at 21:04.
DakTo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017, 22:18   #93
raexcct2
GIMP EX-CCT
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp View Post
I have this document as a digital copy. My donor DSA inch receiver is getting the scallop cut right now and then it's build time.
MP,

If you can, can you provide me a copy of that file? I thought I had a copy but when my e-mail was hacked I lost a bunch of files.

I have a C1A1 (8L) built on a DSA Aussie receiver but I did not do the receiver mods since I didn't have the data when the rifle was built. The 8L was from an Ontario Provincial Police rifle so I got all the parts except the receiver and barrel.
raexcct2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2017, 20:49   #94
Huss
Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 76224
My C2 at the range...

Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2017, 22:57   #95
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

DakTo, I agree with you there. I may have found one of the last semi reasonable DSA Aussie receivers sold here, and that was several years ago. It felt like a fortune at the time, but it was cheap by today's standards.

As most know, I avoided the early C1 look, preferring to do the early rifle as it had been after going back to the depot for upgrade to A1 standards.
The good thing is, nanny of the C1 parts are still readily available, where A1 parts, not so much.

Looking at what's out there to build today, I can't think of a harder rifle to build correctly than a Canadian. Or a more expensive one, either. Parts aren't cheap for any of the Canadian stuff. Surprisingly, Canadian flash hiders and trigger group stuff is all readily available, but everything else is gonzo. Marstar is hit and miss as well....

One other thing,.. Two slot handguards were around till the end. They stayed on till they cracked, then were swapped for the solid style.
There were even a few THREE slot rifles around as well. You'd see one on occasion. I assume those handguards were very, very early issue.

Last edited by ExCdnSoldierInTx; May 02, 2017 at 23:09.
Old May 02, 2017, 22:58   #96
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Nice pig, Huss. You build that? Beautiful...
Old May 02, 2017, 23:04   #97
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

One thing I've pointed out before, and will do so again for those who give a schitt,.. For some reason, all our buttplates were worn to bare steel in service. Little to no park was left.
And it wasn't from backing on the grinder, either, although that didn't help. They just seemed to wear quickly.
We always wrapped our buttplates in "gun tape", which was just O.D. Green duct tape.
And the breech blocks were always bare metal, never parked.
Old May 03, 2017, 04:37   #98
Huss
Enabler
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Nice pig, Huss. You build that? Beautiful...
I bought this NOS C2A1 on the files last year. Well, the carry handle was not NOS, and I haven't had any luck finding an original sling. It was built by a company called RDO specialty. I'm not even sure if they are still a company that builds fals. It came with a very low serial numbered AD receiver. All other parts including heavy barrel are Canadian. The previous owner said it was unfired, and it looked that way. I buy to shoot and enjoy them though. When I took it out to range it would only fire once and bolt and carrier would not eject. The carrier came back about 1-2", while the bolt barely moved at all, maybe 1/2".

G3isme and HKShooter both helped me identify that the gas tube had not been pinned. I have since pinned it, but haven't had a chance to go back out to the range to test fire since pinning the gas block. Hopefully she runs!!

Last edited by Huss; May 03, 2017 at 04:58.
Old May 03, 2017, 09:25   #99
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Awesome, Huss. So a rifle built on NOS parts? How cool.
Old May 03, 2017, 09:59   #100
Huss
Enabler
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Awesome, Huss. So a rifle built on NOS parts? How cool.
Thanks!!

Well it was sold to me that way. The carry handle was not NOS. I would like to find one and a sling. Took me awhile to find a correct 30rd mag. The rest of the parts, wood, and bore were minty. I couldn't stand buy any rifle just to put into my safe and not shoot.

I'd like to own a minty C1 someday also, but I've got too many Fal projects going on as usual.