The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old January 10, 2019, 11:54   #1
M829A3
Registered

FALaholic #: 10377
Cotton was in cartridge to take up space.

I have read numerous opinions on placing a cotton wad on the powder charge for cartridges like 30.06 that with "modern powders" dont fill the case, or with reduced charges, results in better burning and less likely detonation possibilities. Any one with experience doing this, and is there any real benefit??
Old January 10, 2019, 12:27   #2
ammolab
Registered

FALaholic #: 10923
Not needed in any normal load with “modern powders”

Causes as many issues with reduced loads as it cures.

Use trail boss for reduced loads: case filled!
ammolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2019, 15:14   #3
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
on average ........

most calibers get their "best accuracy" w/ 90 to 95 % load density (case nearly full)

reduced loads should be avoided for safety reasons

severely reduced loads usually result in a condition that is called "flashover"

"flashover" most commonly becomes a "detonation" resulting in getting the rifles bolt blown back into your face, action torn apart and you easily getting into the ICU ward of the hospital (if you survive)

many cast bullet shooters will use a tuft of Dacron batting on top of a reduced load, many like "mouse fart loads", low recoil, low report fun to shoot, they do this because they are too lazy to develop a load w/ a powder like ammolab said, trail boss or another similar "fluffier" powder
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2019, 16:44   #4
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
I'm going with *not a concern.*
I'm a data set of 1 in having fired many thousands of reduced handloads spanning from .45-70 Gubmint to .38 Special using many different powders for rifle and pistol that didn't come anywhere even close to filling the case.
Excellent results with accuracy and function with zero problems, along with heaps of fun!
I often shoot home cast bullets which cover most but not all of my reduced loads.

Powders used include:
Unique
Red Dot
W231
IMR4895
IMR3031
BLC(2)
Tin Star
Varget
...and yes
Trail Boss

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019, 01:05   #5
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by M829A3 View Post
I have read numerous opinions on placing a cotton wad on the powder charge for cartridges like 30.06 that with "modern powders" dont fill the case, or with reduced charges, results in better burning and less likely detonation possibilities. Any one with experience doing this, and is there any real benefit??
Some folks use fillers, but not cotton (at least that I'm aware of) with reduced loads in large(r) rifle cartridges. Dacron (available at Wal Mart in the sewing section) is one of the most commonly used. There are potential pitfalls associated with the use of fillers, including ringing the inside of the chamber. A small tuft of 1 -2 grains weight (depending on the cartridge) is placed on top of the powder charge and allowed to expand to fill the air space. The filler should NEVER be tamped down on top of the powder charge - it's a case filler, not an over-powder wad!

Read up on the subject, including the potential hazards, and decide if you want to try it. The link below shows a thread by a very experienced case filler user, Larry Gibson.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...sl/print_topic
Old January 11, 2019, 09:31   #6
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
Only time I used a filler was with the 38/357 shooting light loads under a 148 HBSWC. Always found it a pain in the rump.....but better then a blown out top strap.

Also used to load the plastic projectiles in the plastic cases only powered by a primer for target practice.....killed a crow with that load one time.
Old January 11, 2019, 10:34   #7
Slaughter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73180
Kapok was the recommended filler to me when I was loading WAY light for my 30.06 Ruger 77

For the life of me, I don't remember why it was recommended over cotton or pulverized paper.

Only loaded about 100 rounds (100 grain Speer "plinker" bullets) before I tried with no filler and shot just the same. Never tried measuring for accuracy, these were varmint loads for the rabbit plague we used to have out in the sticks around the alfalfa farms. Shoot 'em and leave 'em for the coyotes.

Been thinking of trying some of them for just stupid fun shooting in the FAL.

Last edited by Slaughter; January 11, 2019 at 10:41.
Slaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019, 18:41   #8
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
I have known some BP shooters that have used filler but I never have. Back when I shot a lot of handgun competitions my primary load for the 38spl was 2.3 grains of 700X under a 148 HBWC. That load looks mighty small in a 38 case. Yet I never had any problems with it and I couldn't even guess how many of those I have shot over the last 40 years or so.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2019, 20:22   #9
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig220 View Post
Only time I used a filler was with the 38/357 shooting light loads under a 148 HBSWC. Always found it a pain in the rump.....but better then a blown out top strap.

Also used to load the plastic projectiles in the plastic cases only powered by a primer for target practice.....killed a crow with that load one time.
I understand the rubber bullets from a 38spl will leave a welt. I also understand they’ll leave a welt on the other guy, too.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2019, 23:03   #10
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I have used Kapok with smokeless loads in .450-577 Martini Henry rounds, which is truly a massive case. Kapok is a cellulite fiber like cotton, but burns up better. It "works" for what I do with it, no ill effects. Whether I truly need it is another question.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019, 08:39   #11
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Gosh, I thought everyone used cream of wheat for a filler.
RVN 67-68
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019, 12:01   #12
KoKodog
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
Gosh, I thought everyone used cream of wheat for a filler.

either cream of wheat or grits for filler to fire form a case and a tiny piece of paper on top to keep everything from spilling out

first time I saw my grandfather using cream of wheat was when he was loading cases to fire form .25-06 P.O Ackley Improved cases, that was the mid 1960's
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old January 15, 2019, 12:13   #13
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKodog View Post
either cream of wheat or grits for filler to fire form a case and a tiny piece of paper on top to keep everything from spilling out

first time I saw my grandfather using cream of wheat was when he was loading cases to fire form .25-06 P.O Ackley Improved cases, that was the mid 1960's
That would have been the time frame that I was seriously starting up reloading.
My mentors were mostly WWI vets that were into target shooting.
RVN 67-68
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019, 20:16   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Used to use Cream of Wheat but if rounds got vibrated to point of mixing issues would occur. Switched to Dacron but now just try to use powders with enough case fill it's not an issue. In fact, look for 90% to 105% fill for my more accurate rifle loads these days. Use Unique in most pistol loads and let er eat.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019, 21:59   #15
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
Even back in the mid 80s, when I started reloading, there was nowhere nearly as many powders available as there are now, so lots of fillers were used for target and varmint loads.
Re: cream of wheat, etc; I remember reading in G&A (IIRC) that a guy used corn meal as a filler for light black powder loads in his stainless Ruger Old Army. He said it adhered to the inside of the chambers so badly that he had to drive a wooden dowel through them to get it out.
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2019, 15:11   #16
KoKodog
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
Even back in the mid 80s, when I started reloading, there was nowhere nearly as many powders available as there are now, so lots of fillers were used for target and varmint loads.
Re: cream of wheat, etc; I remember reading in G&A (IIRC) that a guy used corn meal as a filler for light black powder loads in his stainless Ruger Old Army. He said it adhered to the inside of the chambers so badly that he had to drive a wooden dowel through them to get it out.

yes, this is true

today if you do the research you most likely can make "mouse fart loads" without too many problems

but on the same note many powders are being dropped from production due to excess costs to produce, along with quality control that becomes very difficult with high production costs and lets not forget safety concerns for those producing the powders
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old January 21, 2019, 15:31   #17
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
147 FMJ's are so cheap, I don't get it why anybody would bother with loading .30 cal with unsuitable bullets.

And I defy you to tell me you have so many things that need to be shot, that the price of gunpowder is the issue.

If you are worried about ricochets, use a .22 or a shotgun.
Hell, 10 pumps and a BB from a Crosman kill deer with a lung shot.

The unsuitable bullet thing might have made a little bit of sense when lead was abundant and practically free, and jacketed bullets were a scarce luxury. Hello.... Its not 1943 anymore.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2019, 12:06   #18
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
unique was designed by dupont deliberately for use in reduced velocity "mid-range" loads in large capacity cases designed for use with full capacity black powder loads.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2019, 14:53   #19
ammolab
Registered

FALaholic #: 10923
Quote:
Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
unique was designed by dupont deliberately for use in reduced velocity "mid-range" loads in large capacity cases designed for use with full capacity black powder loads.
Unique is an “oldie but goodie”. Some of its history here:

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Hercu...y.-a0183552859
ammolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2019, 03:07   #20
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
I love to shoot my Zouave rifle. Can bring a literal bucket of .58cal 500g minne balls and shoot all day comfortably.
For most milsurp rifles shooting cast the 16g of 2400 load is the go to universal plink load with velocity around 1500fps. Shoot all day and not get beat up. 2400 is supposed to be less position sensitive than unique in reduced loads but I've never had a problem with either.
I never run fillers.
Old January 24, 2019, 11:24   #21
M829A3
Registered

FALaholic #: 10377
Looks like consensus is , don't bother.