The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old January 06, 2019, 01:07   #1
kysjck
Registered

FALaholic #: 31833
How To Remove Stuck Detent Balls

Removing ball bearings in inch sights is usually easy but I have 2 in a Britt rear sight that defeated all my normally effective methods. I'm ready to use a diamond bit in a Dremel tool. The 1/8" ball bearings are only 27 cents at Ace Hardware. Destroying them is OK. I don't want to destroy the aperture carrier.
kysjck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2019, 02:12   #2
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
If you haven't tried already, bake the aperture base at ~ 275F for an hour. Might loosen the gunk holding it in place. Would make a 'tray' with alum foil so not to lose the bearings. Without photos of what your actually contending with, however, unsure what other direction to go...
COBC #66
FarkŰn Snŕekee Bast´tch
(formerly 'Capt D')
The Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2019, 08:07   #3
fussbudget
Registered

FALaholic #: 81806
I have used PB Blaster spray on stuck detents.
Spray and let sit for a few hours or over night then take a bass punch and light hammer strike around the area of the detent to shock or break up the rust.
Using fine picks to loosen some of the rust helps too.
fussbudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2019, 08:12   #4
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Same idea - PB blaster, then an air hammer with nylon tip to vibrate the snot out of it.
Old January 07, 2019, 20:58   #5
kysjck
Registered

I tried PB Blaster, lacquer thinner, and carb cleaner separately for over night soaks. Then I boiled it for 1/2 hr. followed by propane flame hoping to force the balls out with steam. A 1/8" pin punch couldn't move the balls when hit with a hammer. A fine sowing needle was used in an attempt clean out the groove above the ball. The diamond Dremel bit made a dimple that I tried to use to turn the ball. No movement. I haven't tried an air hammer yet.
Old January 10, 2019, 21:16   #6
Scout10
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80494
took apart a couple Aussie units. And couldn't get the balls out.
Drilled into the bottom (unseen) to open ball travel channel. Third tiny drill bit
worked its way through. Applied some penetrating oil to hole and 2 days later
rigged it in a small vice and ball moved, pushing the oil out the hole.
Repeated the process till ball went in far enough to scrap the throat and
ball came out.

IF your not rushed or under a dead line . . . . it worked, just alot more PIA than it should be.

Last edited by Scout10; January 12, 2019 at 15:58.
Scout10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2019, 22:40   #7
kysjck
Registered

Great idea! Any excess lube in the spring/ball hole would lubricate the slide and ramp, and as said the weep hole wouldn't be visible. I found that the 1/8" ball bearings can be had in stainless unlike the originals. The repair should work better than new.
Old January 16, 2019, 12:47   #8
kysjck
Registered

I got a spare slide/aperture holder from Numrich for 20.60. It looks new and is stamped with the Britt broad arrow.
Old February 05, 2019, 14:49   #9
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
"Freeze-Off" by CRC is an excellent product for removed stuck and rusty hardware. You might ought be able to find it at your local auto parts places or boat store.

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 22:57   #10
kysjck
Registered

Next time. My attempts to drill from the bottom screwed it up permanently. Good news is, the aperture base was easy to replace. Thanks for the heads up. A good penetrating oil is needed on every workbench.
Old February 05, 2019, 23:20   #11
Trypcil
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
Neodymium magnet strategically placed over orifice, all put in a jar with enough acetone to cover, placed on a loud speaker - then play Beethoven's 5th at 11, for 5 minutes, being careful not to spill - would've been my suggestion but I got here late!

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression... There is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we must be most aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." -- William O. Douglas, US Supreme Court Justice from 1939-1975

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 23:56   #12
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trypcil View Post
Neodymium magnet strategically placed over orifice, all put in a jar with enough acetone to cover, placed on a loud speaker - then play Beethoven's 5th at 11, for 5 minutes, being careful not to spill - would've been my suggestion but I got here late!
Are you joking ??!?

Everyone knows that the correct music in this situation is Iron Man..............

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 00:04   #13
Trypcil
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
Shhh.. . now you've let the magic ball out of the bag!

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression... There is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we must be most aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." -- William O. Douglas, US Supreme Court Justice from 1939-1975

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote