The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old December 25, 2018, 16:58   #1
lpcullen
Registered

FALaholic #: 63924
What are the chances of anyone making another run of L1A1 receivers?

Is this a possibility?
lpcullen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2018, 19:20   #2
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Well, if Coonan ever comes back or if DSA determines that there is a big enough market to do it it could happen, not sure I would bet on it though. If another stash of Aussie kits was found d and imported.tbat would increase the odds a bit
Old December 25, 2018, 19:24   #3
pl521
Registered

FALaholic #: 74645
Good question for DSA Rep to answer.

I bet if someone did a survey on the number of L1A1 kits Falfiles members are sitting on waiting for a L1A1 cut receiver, it would probably number in the hundreds.
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2018, 19:53   #4
lpcullen
Registered

FALaholic #: 63924
I agree. I bet there are quite a few. I have two.
lpcullen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2018, 20:00   #5
jam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 68968
When I ordered a Izzy upper I asked the rep about Aussie cut uppers and he said it it was in the plans for 2019. Not holding my breath but I sure hope it happens.
jam762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2018, 20:26   #6
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Any quality inch cut receiver would be well received for sure. I'm thinking Brit cut would sell like hot cakes though. Lots of parts and kits but Brit rifles are worst represented when it comes to receivers.
Old December 25, 2018, 21:01   #7
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Both Coonan and DSA made Brit receivers in the last few years.. It's time for some Aussie receivers.
Old December 25, 2018, 21:51   #8
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Opinions vary. Fact, there are far more Aussie receivers out there than Brit. And Coonan currently sucks (and stopped making them), DSA's last attempt had various degrees of suck and they sold out in a few days.
For months every time I see an L1A1 rifle pop up for sale it's either a CAI IMBEL T3 converted or an Entreprise Aussie. 10 to 1 Aussie.
Last five, iirc, DSA L1A1 receivers I've seen pop up here for sale have been four Aussie, one Brit.
In the last year I've seen two Brit cut IMBEL's pop up. I own one, I know the member who bought the other. Both snapped up in minutes, price was not a point of contention.

Not counting the IMBEL kits there are many more Brit and Aussie kits out there than anything else so both types are needed. But I see as many Brit kits as Aussie and there are still Aussie receivers floating around. Not so much with Brit. My own rifle is built on a Brit cut IMBEL, I stumbled on it after waiting months for any Brit cut rec I could find.
Regardless of when the last ones were made and by whom, there's a demand for Brit cut and IMHO a bigger one than Aussie. My .02.

Last edited by hkshooter; December 25, 2018 at 21:58.
hkshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2018, 22:07   #9
jsparky1983
Registered

FALaholic #: 72974
One Aussie kit with an original barrel here. Also have an Entreprise rifle built on a Brit kit with original barrel. Come on L1A1 receivers.
jsparky1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2018, 13:24   #10
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
Any quality inch cut receiver would be well received for sure. I'm thinking Brit cut would sell like hot cakes though. Lots of parts and kits but Brit rifles are worst represented when it comes to receivers.
But more Brit. cut than Aussie as evident of the numbers of L.E. L1A1's as compared to Aussie cut correct ? Agreed either in new production would be great.
01BIRDDOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2018, 13:29   #11
embatp
What? Me AR?
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39856
No doubt that more Brit kits were used by century to build their rifles but most retailers that have kits have aussies....regardless both are needed as are quality barrel repros...wouldnít mind seeing someone do C1 Canadians as well but it would be a very small run Iím sure...
Old December 26, 2018, 15:58   #12
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Well, I'm almost finished with two brit cut IMBELs. Just waiting for a chance to have them engraved. One with L1A1 mag, one with FAL mag.

I'd much rather they be available off the shelf. It seems to me that the changes between Aussie and UK should not be too difficult for a company like DSA, since all the internal cuts are close enough that only the external lightening cuts should matter. But they may have to do it from billet since the web in front of the mag well is smaller on a FAL than an L1A1 and cutting mag notch to full depth might break through (yeah . .. ask me how I know).
Old December 27, 2018, 10:09   #13
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Well, I'm almost finished with two brit cut IMBELs. Just waiting for a chance to have them engraved. One with L1A1 mag, one with FAL mag.

I'd much rather they be available off the shelf. It seems to me that the changes between Aussie and UK should not be too difficult for a company like DSA, since all the internal cuts are close enough that only the external lightening cuts should matter. But they may have to do it from billet since the web in front of the mag well is smaller on a FAL than an L1A1 and cutting mag notch to full depth might break through (yeah . .. ask me how I know).
How did you salvage the break through?
01BIRDDOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2018, 10:36   #14
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01BIRDDOG View Post
How did you salvage the break through?
It was many years ago -- the edge of the woodruff cutter broke through - it was more a slit. I just ran a tig bead across it. smoothed outside, and left inside shallower than spec (still fit mag fine).
Old December 28, 2018, 09:05   #15
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Engraving done. Yeah, a few areas not a perfect match 'cause of the tooling I'm using. And I know the "1" should look like an "l" but when we tried that it looked hinky. And the D 1958 should be a slightly larger font than the RIFLE 7.62m/m , but it was getting too close to the edge. But I'm pleased with the overall appearance and will get them refinished and offered up for some obscene amount of money.

Next will be a pair of Argy receviers. Trying to decide between the late commercial

DGFM-FMAP Rosario Argentina

or

F.M.A.P. "DM" - ROSARIO
INDUSTRIA ARGENTINA

or

FABRICA MILITAR DE ARMAS PORTATILES - ROSARIO

F.A.L. cal 7,62 M61T1V 491-3624-1088

unfortunately the Right side rear has very heavy

CAI Sporter 1234

Old December 28, 2018, 09:14   #16
pl521
Registered

FALaholic #: 74645
Impressive. That looks very nice! Are you currently offering this service to convert Type III upper receiver to Ll1A1?
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2018, 09:29   #17
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl521 View Post
Impressive. That looks very nice! Are you currently offering this service to convert Type III upper receiver to Ll1A1?
Depending on location of markings, Brit external only, and with zero liability if I screw it up, yes. $300. Bare receiver must be dot matrix or early thumbhole "L1A1 Sporter" R side with serial number on mag well.
Old December 28, 2018, 09:50   #18
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Outstanding, Mark.
And the engraving looks great, wish you'd have done that to the one I got from you. How much to have it done if I send you the rifle?
Old December 28, 2018, 10:48   #19
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
Outstanding, Mark.
And the engraving looks great, wish you'd have done that to the one I got from you. How much to have it done if I send you the rifle?
Well, the ability to do so successfully only came about yesterday.

Don't know yet if I can engrave through paint without having to refinish. The engraving itself is $75. But then I've got a 2 hour round trip to make it happen. So I'm not sure how to make it work at a reasonable price.

Also, the engraver is only about 2 feet wide. There is a provision to have the barrel stick out the side. But because we're both still learning, I've only been doing receivers that I purchased for the purpose of "practicing".

Rick has to pay for the machine, and he is an FFL, so you can see about dealing direct with him. The only downside to that is he does not know anything about FALs or L1A1s in general or markings in particular, so it would be "better" to have me there. But that raises the price.

I'm going to try to get these two "CAI SPORTER" marked Argies done today with an amalgamation of markings, the delay being trying to get the (FM) logo into coreldraw, which I don't know how to use.

Can anyone else make it into a vector file?

Last edited by gunplumber; December 28, 2018 at 22:15.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2018, 12:30   #20
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Well, the ability to do so successfully only came about yesterday.

Don't know yet if I can engrave through paint without having to refinish. The engraving itself is $75. But then I've got a 2 hour round trip to make it happen. So I'm not sure how to make it work at a reasonable price.

Also, the engraver is only about 2 feet wide. There is a provision to have the barrel stick out the side. But because we're both still learning, I've only been doing receivers that I purchased for the purpose of "practicing".

Rick has to pay for the machine, and he is an FFL, so you can see about dealing direct with him. The only downside to that is he does not know anything about FALs or L1A1s in general or markings in particular, so it would be "better" to have me there. But that raises the price.

I'm going to try to get these two "CAI SPORTER" marked Argies done today with an amalgamation of markings, the delay being trying to get the (FM) logo into coreldraw, which I don't know how to use.
I would expect to repaint after the work, no problem there.
I could take the rifle apart and send the bare receiver to make life easier. And I'd definitely want you involved to be sure things went right, at least until he did a few and was familiar.

Since this is in it's infancy I'll wait for any possible work until a system is in place and both you and your engraver are sure about the process and payment. I'll be watching for updates.
Old December 28, 2018, 17:11   #21
y18376
Registered

FALaholic #: 76824
Am curious about the "D 1958" engraving. Is that an actual marking for early Bodies or simply a trial sample of engraving ? cheers.

Quote:
Engraving done. Yeah, a few areas not a perfect match 'cause of the tooling I'm using. And I know the "1" should look like an "l" but when we tried that it looked hinky. And the D 1958 should be a slightly larger font than the RIFLE 7.62m/m , but it was getting too close to the edge. But I'm pleased with the overall appearance and will get them refinished and offered up for some obscene amount of money.

Next will be a pair of Argy receviers. Trying to decide between the late commercial

DGFM-FMAP Rosario Argentina

or

F.M.A.P. "DM" - ROSARIO
INDUSTRIA ARGENTINA

or

FABRICA MILITAR DE ARMAS PORTATILES - ROSARIO

F.A.L. cal 7,62 M61T1V 491-3624-1088

unfortunately the Right side rear has very heavy

CAI Sporter 1234

y18376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2018, 19:58   #22
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

The bottom one is original, the 1958 is not "practice". I don't know when they stopped putting that there. Apparently there was one year of Fazakerly (sp?). But no year. And the only image I have (from Adam?) makes it look like FUA with the U smaller than the F and the A maybe hand stamped as an afterthought. Also, I have an image of the same for Enfield 1960.

Just walked in from my (long!) round trip to the engraver (MLS Arms)

Here's today's accomplishments - Argy receivers from early thumbholes not cut for the folding handle. Linked from my Facebook Fal group, done with my phone, will get better ones showing the (FM) also. Don't have the skill to do the crest, but if anyone can (vector file?) we should talk.

Last edited by gunplumber; December 28, 2018 at 20:04.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018, 19:30   #23
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

And after refinishing.

might get the Peruvian crest vectored at some point.
Old December 31, 2018, 19:31   #24
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Old December 31, 2018, 19:49   #25
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

You are getting those nailed very nicely, Mark. Wish I had an empty credit card.
Old January 01, 2019, 18:03   #26
HibikiR
Registered

FALaholic #: 76403
Any pics of a Type 1 to Aussie conversion?
HibikiR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2019, 19:40   #27
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibikiR View Post
Any pics of a Type 1 to Aussie conversion?
I did one on an Argy with the serial number in a good place, but I just can't get the radius of the lightening cut terminus to my satisfaction - at least not on my manual mill.

Brit cuts are straight.
Old January 01, 2019, 21:02   #28
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
Be careful what you wish for. Inch receivers are the kiss of death. Entreprise Arms did a Brit inch run and went belly up soon after. Conan did a run of inch, and now they wonít answer their phone or email. And DSAís quality control went to shit after their inch run. Inch receivers are bad luck.
mp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2019, 14:30   #29
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Inch receivers are the kiss of death. Entreprise Arms did a Brit inch run and went belly up soon after. Conan did a run of inch, and now they won’t answer their phone or email. And DSA’s quality control went to shit after their inch run. Inch receivers are bad luck.
Entreprise did about 100+ Group Buy BGS customized receivers after the British receivers. That I believe was their swan song.
Old January 02, 2019, 15:05   #30
HibikiR
Registered

Quote:
I did one on an Argy with the serial number in a good place, but I just can't get the radius of the lightening cut terminus to my satisfaction - at least not on my manual mill.

Brit cuts are straight.
Actually I meant going from a Type 1 to Aussie, not a Type 3 to either. I'm interested in all the options available if Aussie receivers aren't coming back.
Old January 02, 2019, 19:01   #31
iandouglasg
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 44021
The type 1 receiver already has a lightning cut over the mag well on the right side that is different than an Aussie, I donít think it would be compatible to mill into a Aussie cut L1A1
iandouglasg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2019, 20:58   #32
HibikiR
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandouglasg View Post
The type 1 receiver already has a lightning cut over the mag well on the right side that is different than an Aussie, I don’t think it would be compatible to mill into a Aussie cut L1A1
As long as the functional differences (top cover ears, charging handle, mag catch spring, BHO, sand cuts) are possible then I can live with one aesthetic difference. Inch mag cuts would be a nice bonus.
Old January 08, 2019, 00:51   #33
Rudolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 7
I'm happy your doing this.

Now hunthing for an L1A1 Imbel receiver.
Rudolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 08, 2019, 06:24   #34
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post
I'm happy your doing this.

Now hunthing for an L1A1 Imbel receiver.
https://arizonaresponsesystems.com/p...y/pay-invoice/