The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old January 01, 2019, 17:42   #1
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
MEC650 Slug Reloading

Im intending to load some Lyman 525 gr sabot slugs using a typical plastic shotshell wad (WAA112F114). I have a MEC650 press. Please explain sequence of events st station 3. I need to install and seat a wad, and also the slug.

Bad plan #1: insert a wad with slug under the wad rammer/shot tube. This applies excessive seating force because its pushing on the top of the slug instead of the bottom of the wad cup.

Bad plan #2: insert and seat an empty wad, then drop the slug in afterward. Doesnt work because the slug folds over the wad petals.

Must be a trick. Thanks in advance.
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2019, 19:28   #2
okiefarmer
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 3248
You don't need any wad pressure in shotgun loads to begin with, only seated on the powder.

Why don't you seat the powder, then with hull still in wad seating station, push the wad guide down with your fingers to open the hull mouth for wad insertion, then stick the slug in.

I have never had issues inserting slugs in 1x hulls. The folds are still pretty open on 1x hulls, not so much after that. I've never loaded a hull more than once for anything I've ever loaded, and I load prolly 8,000 - 10,000 12 ga target loads a year, but still have a lifetime of hulls left to shoot.

Yes, I'm a hoarder.
Old January 02, 2019, 09:17   #3
ByronF
Registered

So remove the shot tube from station 3? If not then I cant pull the handle.

Its not the hull folds that get in my way. What I was describing was attempting to first seat an empty wad, THEN insert the slug. I can get the slug past the hull crimp but then is smooshes the wad petals.
Old January 02, 2019, 09:43   #4
okiefarmer
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 3248
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronF View Post
So remove the shot tube from station 3? If not then I cant pull the handle.

Its not the hull folds that get in my way. What I was describing was attempting to first seat an empty wad, THEN insert the slug. I can get the slug past the hull crimp but then is smooshes the wad petals.
Oops, caught that now.

No, not remove the tube. You can simply push the wad guide down with fingers, mine slides up and down on that post. Pushing the wad guide down by hand should push the wad guide fingers down into the hull mouth enough that will allow them to let the slug slip past the wad petals.

I haven't had the issue of the slug catching on the petals as you have. Dunno what might be your malfunction. Sorry your having problems.

If you need a solid projo, get your FAL out I guess.
Old January 02, 2019, 12:51   #5
ByronF
Registered

When I pull the handle the tube moves down into the hull. If I dont do something different then I'll experience my original problem.
Old January 03, 2019, 21:17   #6
ByronF
Registered

Ok, I removed the rammer tube and shortened it by the length of a slug. Now I'm loading slugs with nary a problem. I'll need a replacement tube if I ever want to load shot, but I have no interest in that. At all. Ever.