The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > RKBA & Legal

Notices

Old May 14, 2018, 06:35   #1
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
Red Flag Laws...MA votes soon on one

Prepare to be judged by your neighbors, ex-wife, teachers, and the PD to see if you are stable enough to own guns. I'm sure it all it will take for an angry person in your life to claim you shouldn't have a gun to make your life complicated.:

http://www.wbur.org/news/2018/04/13/...der-gun-debate

Mass. Lawmakers Once Again Take On NRA In Push To Pass 'Red Flag' Law

Although Massachusetts has some of the toughest gun control laws in the country, gun safety advocates want to make them even stricter. Following the Feb. 14 massacre in Parkland, Florida, Massachusetts is among a number of states considering so-called "red flag" bills.

If approved, the law would let a court temporarily prohibit someone from possessing or buying a gun if they are judged to be a risk to themselves or to others.

A 'Tool' To Save Lives, Or The 'Stripping' Of Rights

Sometimes killers send up warning flags before they act. It appears that Nikolas Cruz did before he allegedly shot and killed 17 students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland. Cruz was known to be depressed; school authorities had warned teachers about him; the FBI had investigated a YouTube post, reportedly from Cruz, saying that he planned to be a "professional school shooter." So a red flag law might have prevented the massacre.

The NRA fiercely opposes red flag bills, and nobody knows that better than Marjorie Decker, a Democratic state representative from Cambridge who said she endured weeks of online harassment, including death threats, after filing red flag legislation.

"It was a horrible experience," Decker said during a recent evening in Cambridge, where she spoke to constituents about her bill (H.3610). "I had to involve my local police and the state police. It has not silenced me. It's actually made me a far more committed legislator in understanding the challenges to better gun ownership laws."

Decker blames the NRA and its local affiliate, the Gun Owners' Action League, for instigating the harassment, but the group denies it. Decker is pressing on, as she has since first filing the bill a year and a half ago.

“It really is about keeping people safe," Decker said.
Erin Heim, of Somerville, a 2008 graduate of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, speaks at the State House with extreme risk protective order bill sponsors Rep. Marjorie Decker, left, and Rep. David Linsky. (Sam Doran/State House News Service)

Her bill would give family members and law enforcement the ability to go to a court and request an "extreme risk protective order," a kind of preemptive action to temporarily confiscate someone's gun.

"This law is going to empower families — who believe that someone in the home might hurt themselves or someone else — to go directly to a judge and seek an order that would quickly remove guns and ammunition and the license to carry,” Decker said.

Decker’s bill has the support of leading gun control advocates in Massachusetts, including John Rosenthal, the founder of Stop Handgun Violence.

"This has been proposed in [many] states, including Alabama," said Rosenthal. "It's being passed in red states. So, it's just another tool to continue to make Massachusetts the state with the lowest gun death rate in the nation by giving families the tools to save their loved ones and themselves."

After the Parkland massacre, Florida became the sixth state to pass a red flag law, and just this week, Maryland became the seventh. Meanwhile, more than 20 other states are considering similar laws. It's a trend that is alarming hardcore Second Amendment advocates.

“It's a complete and total stripping away of constitutional rights," said Michael Hammond, legislative council with Gun Owners of America, who says red flag laws are simply "gun confiscation laws."

"We're very concerned that some very conservative states somehow think that sending SWAT teams to people's homes as a result of a Kafkaesque procedure is somehow a consensus proposal," Hammond added.

There's opposition on Beacon Hill, as well. Joseph McKenna, a Republican state representative from Webster, is less worried about SWAT teams — but he is opposed to taking guns out of the hands of people with mental health issues.

"I don't think that's very fair to the mental health community," said McKenna, who is drafting his own bill, backed by GOAL, that would set up a suicide prevention hotline rather than encourage court orders to confiscate guns.

"I see them as a mechanism that very unfortunately uses someone who is struggling from mental health as a reason to start going after guns alone," he said. "They don't provide services, and they don't deal with the underlying issues."

Supporters of the red flag laws — like Rosenthal of Stop Handgun Violence — say the gun lobby is using mental health as a ploy to shift the conversation away from guns.

“Every country has mentally ill people,” he said. "We just happen to be the only country that arms them with easily concealed handguns and large capacity ammunition magazines capable of mass shootings. The common denominator in shootings is the firearm."

This debate also revolves around the question: Do these laws work? One of the few studies on this comes from Duke University professor Jeffrey Swanson, who looked at Connecticut, the first state to enact a red flag law back in 1999.

“I think extreme risk protection orders do reduce gun deaths," Swanson said. He points out that most gun deaths are self-inflicted. His study looked at 762 gun seizures over 14 years under the Connecticut law and estimates that for every 10 to 20 seizures, one suicide was prevented. Swanson argues that the study backs up the idea that someone who is manifestly at risk of hurting themselves or someone else should not have legal access to a gun.

"People agree with that. Gun owners agree with that," he said. "People across the political spectrum. People in the Second Amendment community have been saying for years, 'guns don't kill people, people kill people.' Well, this is a law that's about trying to figure out who those people are."

Massachusetts’ push to enact Decker's red flag law is expected get a vote in the House early next month.
Old May 14, 2018, 07:43   #2
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubacus View Post

“I think extreme risk protection orders do reduce gun deaths," Swanson said. He points out that most gun deaths are self-inflicted. His study looked at 762 gun seizures over 14 years under the Connecticut law and estimates that for every 10 to 20 seizures, one suicide was prevented. Swanson argues that the study backs up the idea that someone who is manifestly at risk of hurting themselves or someone else should not have legal access to a gun.

"People agree with that. Gun owners agree with that," he said. "People across the political spectrum. People in the Second Amendment community have been saying for years, 'guns don't kill people, people kill people.' Well, this is a law that's about trying to figure out who those people are."

Massachusetts’ push to enact Decker's red flag law is expected get a vote in the House early next month.
so people are just chugging pills or drinking themselves to death, instead.

and who made him God and said he could decide whether i should die today or not?
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 08:20   #3
Highground
Registered

FALaholic #: 12919
Colorado Red Flag law failed in committee this year, hope the same for Mass.

Folks there need to mail bomb these Reps and let them know they don't appreciate laws that violate due process and establish third world justice systems in their state.
Highground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 10:13   #4
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
If you own a gun, you are insane.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 06:14   #5
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
Quote:
Originally Posted by V guy View Post
If you own a gun, you are insane.
But if you own 13 or more, you are a saint.
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018, 06:14   #6
Bubacus
Registered

They are getting ready to pass this... I didn't know that ex-girlfriends can now weigh in on one's "well-being" and have your guns taken away for a year:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ODL/story.html

Massachusetts lawmakers are on course to strengthen the state’s already strict gun control laws by giving courts the authority to strip weapons from risky individuals who have been identified by their families as a danger to themselves or others.

The state House of Representatives is poised Wednesday to pass a bill that would allow family members, roommates, and current and former romantic partners to petition a court to take away a gun owner’s weapons. Those firearms would be confiscated for a year if the court finds the person poses a risk.

The legislation is moving forward amid a drumbeat of mass shootings nationally and little movement on gun control in Congress. Eight states have enacted so-called red flag laws, though all differ in their specifics.

In Massachusetts, Governor Charlie Baker and the Senate president have not weighed in on the granular legislative language, but both support the concept of the bill.
Old May 25, 2018, 08:07   #7
frankxtc
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 10952
Laws like this seem to be a modern version of the Salem witch trials.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_witch_trials
I do not go in for collecting guns.
I never buy a gun unless I really need it.
As a matter of fact, I really only need about a dozen, or possibly fourteen, more guns than I have now.
frankxtc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018, 11:56   #8
tk421
Registered

FALaholic #: 7857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubacus View Post
They are getting ready to pass this... I didn't know that ex-girlfriends can now weigh in on one's "well-being" and have your guns taken away for a year:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ODL/story.html

Massachusetts lawmakers are on course to strengthen the state’s already strict gun control laws by giving courts the authority to strip weapons from risky individuals who have been identified by their families as a danger to themselves or others.

The state House of Representatives is poised Wednesday to pass a bill that would allow family members, roommates, and current and former romantic partners to petition a court to take away a gun owner’s weapons. Those firearms would be confiscated for a year if the court finds the person poses a risk.

The legislation is moving forward amid a drumbeat of mass shootings nationally and little movement on gun control in Congress. Eight states have enacted so-called red flag laws, though all differ in their specifics.

In Massachusetts, Governor Charlie Baker and the Senate president have not weighed in on the granular legislative language, but both support the concept of the bill.
Just one more reason to not date, nevermind going so far as to live with one or enslave yourself with a contract.

Fake name.
Fake social media accounts.
Burner phone.
Pump & Dump.
Old July 03, 2018, 05:42   #9
Bubacus
Registered

Looks like the Governer is ready to sign the "red flag law" bill. One more state down.

https://www.masslive.com/politics/in..._flag_gun.html

Gov. Charlie Baker will sign a bill on Tuesday that will give Massachusetts even stronger gun control laws.

Massachusetts already has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation. The so-called "red flag" bill, or extreme risk protection order bill, will allow a family or household member to petition a judge to confiscate someone's gun if the person poses a danger to themselves or others.

Baker, a Republican, on Monday said he was swayed by the support of the state's police chiefs.

"Massachusetts has always relied on police chiefs to serve as the primary point of decision-making on issues around license to carry," Baker said. "The fact that the police chiefs came out and support this legislation meant a lot to us."

Baker is planning a bill signing ceremony at 12:30 p.m. in his office.

Under the bill, if a family or household member believes someone poses a risk to themselves or someone else, they will be able to petition a District Court judge to immediately suspend that person's gun license and confiscate their weapons.

Within 10 days, the judge would hold a hearing, and the person would have a chance to argue whether the protective order should be extended for up to a year.

The ruling could be appealed. It could be modified based on a request by either party.

Massachusetts police chiefs already have discretion to deny someone a gun license. But the police chiefs said this bill would provide an extra tool for family members who know someone best to remove someone's guns without involving the police.
Old July 03, 2018, 16:22   #10
Super Dak©
Registered

FALaholic #: 70615
Visit gun forums, that's a red flag.
Called your ex a dumb whore, that's a red flag.
Takes certain medications, why not?
Voted for Trump, definitely a red flag.
Middle aged white male, yep.
Well that was easy...
I wonder how many cops will lose their guns and won't be able to do their job any more. Or not.
Old July 04, 2018, 12:55   #11
hemcon9
Registered

FALaholic #: 53134
Well, forewarned is forearmed.

-Do not put all your eggs in one basket.
-Do not disclose the location of your baskets.
-Make your baskets very difficult to open.
-Only one or two eggs outside a basket at any time.
hemcon9 is offline   Reply With Quote