The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old October 11, 2018, 14:21   #1
BarnOwlLover
Registered

FALaholic #: 81552
Best way to seal up a charging handle slot from dirt ingress?

This is basically asking about the pros and cons of a sliding dust cover like the FN FNC or M249/Minimi vs a gasket like what the FN CAL and Sig 550 have. I know that both work given those weapons reliability records (at least mil-spec FNCs and 550s), which do you think is better?
BarnOwlLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2018, 15:07   #2
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Well, since the ejection port in a FAL is much bigger and always open ( at least to the carrier and rails ) whereas the charging handle slot is way smaller and closed 99% of the time, my personal opinion is why bother ? To my knowledge, at least, it was never identified as a problem in military service, so I would think in our kinder, gentler civilian hands and environment it is even less of an issue.

A non issue, JMHO.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2018, 15:42   #3
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Just rinse it off every now and again

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2018, 15:43   #4
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1xnb8w2zHS4

I’d watch the whole thing, but if you are impatient skip to the 3:50 mark. Not FAL, but the principle holds true.

I’m saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about what’s enough. And for God’s sake, think about who you are.” - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2018, 16:06   #5
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Dirt?

Dat ain't no reel ting for no FAL bro.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68486
Old October 11, 2018, 16:55   #6
Tex
Registered

FALaholic #: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Just rinse it off every now and again

Love my ancient pic of ol Dirty in flight....lol
Old October 11, 2018, 20:00   #7
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Love my ancient pic of ol Dirty in flight....lol
Ancient ??? It seems like only yesterday....... ! It is indeed a classic.

However, I know of a certain type 2 that will never EVER get that treatment

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee

Last edited by J. Armstrong; October 11, 2018 at 21:10.
Old October 12, 2018, 08:07   #8
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
The Israelis came up with a dust cover for their heavy barreled FALO. Not sure how well they worked. They are fairly rare and hard to find for sale. The will fit on any FAL, IIRC.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355196

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2018, 09:19   #9
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
The Israelis came up with a dust cover for their heavy barreled FALO. Not sure how well they worked. They are fairly rare and hard to find for sale. The will fit on any FAL, IIRC.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355196
As a side note, AFAIK the Israelis never officially adopted the cover, as they phased out the FALO pretty early on. Mechanically they seem to work fine, can't vouch for how effective or durable they would be in the field.

I have a couple of these covers - while they will work on standard FALs, the carry handle needs to be removed as it interferes with the cover when folded if in place.

Old October 12, 2018, 10:09   #10
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
I think port covers are overrated unless you are in a dust storm, which isnt likely to happen in most of Europe or the US.

I'm curious why the Israelis supposedly had huge trouble with the FAL in a sandy / dusty environment, but none of the Commonwealth or African users did. Did the L1A1 ever let the British down in Yemen, Oman, or Iraq?
Old October 12, 2018, 10:38   #11
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
I think port covers are overrated unless you are in a dust storm, which isnt likely to happen in most of Europe or the US.

I'm curious why the Israelis supposedly had huge trouble with the FAL in a sandy / dusty environment, but none of the Commonwealth or African users did. Did the L1A1 ever let the British down in Yemen, Oman, or Iraq?
I remember at the time rumors were going around that the Israeli troops were not cleaning and maintaining their rifles well, but that is strictly hearsay, and I find it a little difficult to believe. I'm not even sure that the claims that they had reliability issues were true at all. I think the biggest reason they retired the FAL was the universal shift to 5.56x45 and the tons of M16s we sent them as aid.

This is from memory, but I seem to recall that the Brits found that the FAL/L1A1 was sensitive to specific kinds of sand, primarily the very fine, dustlike type. Other than that, no problemo. Of course, they also said that the sand cut carriers and receivers worked best when glommed up with grease, which supposedly captured the sand and prevented it from causing malfs. Seems like a good recipe for grinding compound to me, but what do I know ? I'm not sure that recommendation was ever actually mandated in the field. Someone here with real world experience will probably chime in to set this straight.

Last edited by J. Armstrong; October 12, 2018 at 10:46.
Old October 12, 2018, 12:50   #12
BarnOwlLover
Registered

FALaholic #: 81552
I was wondering mostly about the sliding cover on the FNC over the charging handle slot vs the gasket that the Sig 550 and CAL have. I wonder if a combination of both systems where tried.
BarnOwlLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2018, 13:07   #13
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
naw, just squirt some red RTV silicon in there and you'll be all sealed up.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2018, 15:14   #14
kmurphy
Registered

FALaholic #: 29121
Masking tape over the hole if you really have to.
kmurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2018, 15:17   #15
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

My charging handle slot is covered by the charging handle unless it is in use to charge the rifle. Not sure what you need a cover for since the handle locks forward for use and does not reciprocate when firing.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old October 12, 2018, 16:34   #16
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Quote:
Not sure what you need a cover for since the handle locks forward for use and does not reciprocate when firing.
... this, the question appears to be a solution search of a problem. Fine fine red dirt/dust is prevalent in probably 2/3 of the country, that stuff gets into and everywhere. The SLR was not know as being susceptible to it in use. Good cleaning regimes are important or course. The big honking ejection port is more of an avenue in of course (as noted above) than the charging handle slot.
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2018, 16:57   #17
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
I’ve never been a soldier where my life depended on the function of the gun. I never understood the lack of cleaning aspect that is prevalent in most of the functionality lore. Wouldn’t cleaning your stick with an oily rag be pretty much a routine every chance you had if you’re in an active combat situation?

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2018, 17:48   #18
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
My charging handle slot is covered by the charging handle unless it is in use to charge the rifle. Not sure what you need a cover for since the handle locks forward for use and does not reciprocate when firing.
Agreed - it's kind of like wanting to seal off the magwell.........

Old October 12, 2018, 18:31   #19
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
naw, just squirt some red RTV silicon in there and you'll be all sealed up.
Silicone !!! One of the greatest inventions of the last century.

It can even seal oil in one of them Hardly motosickles !!!
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2018, 22:13   #20
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Not if it wet sumps - AMHIK

Old October 14, 2018, 11:06   #21
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
Not if it wet sumps - AMHIK
But it can direct it to the catch can so you can pour it back prior to the next ride.

Old October 14, 2018, 15:02   #22
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

On a Buell it will also escape through the clutch cable.......

All because of a leetle check valve

Last edited by J. Armstrong; October 16, 2018 at 09:11.
Old October 14, 2018, 15:18   #23
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post

Harleys do not leak. They mark their territory
Old Yesterday, 21:37   #24
abbynormal
Registered

FALaholic #: 18513
Just clean the God Damn gun and your good to go. Don't imagine alien
troglodytes infesting the FAL and the Zulu giving you a last memory of an anal
death ceremony!