The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old June 02, 2017, 20:01   #1
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Managed to shoot my chronometer today...

What an idiot haha. On the plus side I did perfect my m193 clone load with cfe223
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 02, 2017, 20:32   #2
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
What did your group look like?

Old June 02, 2017, 20:34   #3
mack1611
Registered

FALaholic #: 76084
I've may or may not have done the same.
mack1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 02, 2017, 20:44   #4
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Hey Brother, most of us have a story about shooting inanimate object.

THAT we weren't suppose to shoot. A buddy plowed a .30 cal furrow across the hood of one of my 4x4's shooting at a Huge Blacktail Buck down low in a canyon, Was a Lesson.

Can your chrono be repaired ??
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 02, 2017, 21:00   #5
Falfan2017
Registered

The chrono is a trooper it registered the speed of the round that got it. I didn't take out the sensor just the housing. Reckon it's still serviceable.
Old June 02, 2017, 21:59   #6
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
I bought my first chronograph almost thirty years ago. After a few years it started acting up and putting out off the wall velocity readouts every now and then. One day at my club range I was chronographing some of my 10mm Auto hand loads in the Colt Delta Elite when it went haywire on me. So I said f##k this POS and I executed it with a 180 grain FMJ through the damned thing. Blew most of the guts out of it.

Another shooter watched me do this and just about freaked out. So he packed up and left without saying another word to me.

I bought a better quality chrono and still have it. I don't know why but it seems to me that most shooters who see me using the chrono seem to think that I am just wasting ammo. Who cares what velocity or how consistent the loads are is their attitude. So I gave up trying to explain things to these people.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 02, 2017, 22:17   #7
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
Harump....I know of a guy who leaned across to shoot out the passenger side window of his vehicle from the drivers seat. He cleared the door, but the mirror decided it was a bit much for it and shattered I did observe the mirror missing and the story came out after a bit of questioning.

If you have a chrony that you have to shoot over to get results, its a matter of when.....not if you will canoe your chrony!
Old June 03, 2017, 07:50   #8
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
You cannot shoot a target and over skyscreen chronograph at the same time.

I'd also add, that's what you get for using Tactical Flatulence Eliminator powder.
The manufacturers will stop trying to foist this gimmick shit on us when we refuse to buy it.

Fugking gunpowder supposed to clean your gun for you while you shoot.
I swear you couldn't make this shit up.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 03, 2017, 09:23   #9
Exit308
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
:r ofl:

The truth does not require your belief.
Exit308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 03, 2017, 09:47   #10
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
I decided to get a chrono recently and have not owned one before.
LabRadar was the one I chose and it's working great, so far.
One nice thing about it is the ability to actually shoot groups for comparison sake while also gathering velocity data at the same time.
I've been doing a bunch of ladder testing and evaluating my past *pet load* work ups.
If I ever shoot this thing (spendy) I may have to shoot myself!
I had to set the thing for *handgun* velocity range yesterday to track my 220 grain, cast bullet Krag loads which whisk along at a cool 1425 fps.
That's called a poofter load, right?

One of my friends (I have a couple) has not shot his chrono or its screens yet, but plans to someday!
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 03, 2017, 10:10   #11
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote;
"That's called a poofter load, right? "

No, to dyed in the wool Cast Boolit Shooters, it's called an "accuracy load" aka "small game load".

You were shooting groups or game, right?
Old June 03, 2017, 10:20   #12
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
Quote;
"That's called a poofter load, right? "

No, to dyed in the wool Cast Boolit Shooters, it's called an "accuracy load" aka "small game load".

You were shooting groups or game, right?
I cast for every centerfire pistol, revolver and rifle I own:

Yes, it actually is an accuracy load (~2 moa) for this Krag using my home cast/lubed/gas checked bullets and I was shooting groups.

I think it's a Lyman 311284 bullet.
Old June 03, 2017, 10:20   #13
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Old June 03, 2017, 10:26   #14
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
I've heard tell...

Old June 03, 2017, 10:35   #15
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Awesome!!! Unfortunately, I have also done similar foolish things. Fast forward to about 33:00min. This was training for Rockcastle Run-N-Gun:

Old June 03, 2017, 10:41   #16
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Awesome!!! Unfortunately, I have also done similar foolish things.
I never done such foolishness! Well, at least not that was caught on video
Old June 03, 2017, 11:09   #17
Falfan2017
Registered

Quote:
You cannot shoot a target and over skyscreen chronograph at the same time.

I'd also add, that's what you get for using Tactical Flatulence Eliminator powder.
The manufacturers will stop trying to foist this gimmick shit on us when we refuse to buy it.

Say what you will but the stuff meters well gets good velocity and groups fills the entire 5.56 brass so no double charge and does leave the bore spotless. Bit more expensive than some other powders because it takes 27-28 grains to get much speed but we are talking about maybe a penny a round here.
Old June 03, 2017, 11:09   #18
Falfan2017
Registered

Quote:
Awesome!!! Unfortunately, I have also done similar foolish things. Fast forward to about 33:00min. This was training for Rockcastle Run-N-Gun:

That's pretty impressive I feel like you should be breathing a lot harder after running that far
Old June 03, 2017, 11:39   #19
ArtBanks
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Easy to do. I never shot the body of my Pro-crono, but came close.
Now I just decided I would be better off with the chronograph sitting next to the bench rather than in the line of fire. So far it is working out wonderfully.

ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 03, 2017, 19:42   #20
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
I've never hit my chrono but I did set it up backwards once. had to wait until the next cease fire to correct the orientation. Was very happy no one noticed.

artbanks they don't make those Fn rifles in left hand do they?

davedude
Old June 03, 2017, 21:45   #21
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
There are two types of chronograph owners; those that have shot their chrony, and those who are GOING to shoot their chrony...
Old June 04, 2017, 04:57   #22
ArtBanks
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedude View Post
I've never hit my chrono but I did set it up backwards once. had to wait until the next cease fire to correct the orientation. Was very happy no one noticed.

artbanks they don't make those Fn rifles in left hand do they?

davedude
I have no idea. Should be easy to find out though.
Did a little quick search of other forums and I understand that they do not at this time.
Art

Last edited by ArtBanks; June 05, 2017 at 04:52.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2017, 22:04   #23
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Just lightly creased a screen on my Bud's chono. Bought him new screens and returned it.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2017, 22:47   #24
GS455
Registered

FALaholic #: 63848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post

Another shooter watched me do this and just about freaked out. So he packed up and left without saying another word to me.
I believe I'da done the same.
GS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 08, 2017, 10:18   #25
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
shot paul's chronograph years ago with a tokarev, and let me tell you, 7.62x25 really does penetrate steel.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 08, 2017, 22:18   #26
croftonaviation
Motivated underachiever
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64580
A few years back I got a chrony for Christmas. Had to hurry up and try it out. Yup, killed that bastard dead with a .223. I was really glad chrony took it back on trade, my wife was trying to find someone to mount the damn thing!

Welcome to the club!
Old June 11, 2017, 19:58   #27
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falfan2017 View Post
What an idiot haha. On the plus side I did perfect my m193 clone load with cfe223
A chronometer is actually a timepiece certified to be a precision instrument, such as e.g a Breitling watch.
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2017, 10:16   #28
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
Years ago........1980's, Chrony used to have a warranty to replace it free, if you shot it up.
It was a gimmick to spur sales.

I have to admit, I got them for one free replacement chrony........hit it with a .375H&H, and yet still do not quite understand how I did it.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017, 15:27   #29
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
One day at my club range I was chronographing some of my 10mm Auto hand loads in the Colt Delta Elite when it went haywire on me. So I said f##k this POS and I executed it with a 180 grain FMJ through the damned thing. Blew most of the guts out of it.

I bought a better quality chrono and still have it. I don't know why but it seems to me that most shooters who see me using the chrono seem to think that I am just wasting ammo. Who cares what velocity or how consistent the loads are is their attitude. So I gave up trying to explain things to these people.
The Retired One
Have done similar and it's odd how people will sometimes take some innocent fun and interpret it into something it's not. Guy probably assumed you were exhibiting a propensity towards unprovoked violence and that's no longer allowed in America. We must even be polite and not stress out children when discipline them, can't vent frustration and put your fist through drywall or cabinet door or any sign that have inability to control your emotions in a constructive manner.

Quote:

Going through threads I missed and this came up CFE223 became my least favorite rifle powder before got half way through first pound. Thankfully was unable to get a four pound or eight pound keg when first released so purchased two singles and was working up loads with first can when my first and last four pounder arrived. Have been handloading since age 12 which is 42 years now and loading 223/5.56 for AR's since age 15. Past decade have prided myself on learning to fine tune AR 15 gas systems like a fine Swiss watch. Because all my non junk box AR's built are so finely tuned with adjustable gas, same Tubbs Flatwire buffer spring, buffers swapped multiple times from standards to Slash Heavy Buffers till rifle shoots softly as possible, cyclic rate is low as can get it reliably, rifle runs 100% with 100% of loads can often notice powders that act oddly.

CFE223 was extremely odd and while my rifles ran 100% with it and grouped well enough with it something just wasn't right. Could push loads from bottom of chart to max recommended load and had no signs of pressure with fired cases but gas systems just didn't seem to be running smoothly. Cases were ejecting way farther than same weight/velocity loads with other powders leading me to believe it was one of those powders where pressure curve created excessive port pressure before signs of excessive chamber pressures begin to show. Slowed my roll, did some research to find others noticing issues using piston guns of different flavors and calibers. Were complaints about all sorts of port pressure issues leading to bent op rods, chasing brass down into the woods. Worked with it a little more, shot all the rounds had used it in and before had burned half the can just decided I didn't like it due to odd pressure at gas port in both short and long AR's. Traded the unopened pound and the four pound keg to a buddy who said had been trying to find it for months. I "lucked out" and was the first person I knew with it and only load data available was the manufacturers. Thought I would get a jump on the world and be a CFE223 guru with all the pet loads tweaked before anyone else. Instead, it became a "tried it, didn't like it" and moved on down the road with other propellants that I have a track record with along with some newer ones that perform very well. As time has gone by have read of others experiencing high port pressure issues with the stuff and folks that are 100% pleased with it. Even tried it in bolt guns and 7.62×51 before totally gave up on it as just couldn't find anything liked it for enough to warrant keeping it in inventory. But do have half a pound so if decide to execute one of my chronographs know what powder to load for the job. Luckily with my Ohler 35P the sky screens are all you can kill unless decide to pull the backup and shoot it in the brain as it sits on shooting bench next to rifle.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017, 16:04   #30
Falfan2017
Registered

Ya I've heard similar complaints about cfe223. I've never really tried to tweak a .223 load to perfection I basically just crank out mid power loads. If I can get 1.5-2 moa out of the 6920 that's good enough for me.