The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old August 24, 2019, 19:40   #1
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
So how much are your Y2K preps worth...

Went to an auction today. a 700 acre farm worth 5Mil. A curious collection of stuff, most stuff was marketed to a crowd of yuppies from the burgh who had never had mud on the tires of their 4X4. A couple dozen unfired guns, collectibles, Ikea quality furniture, NO ammo, fudd hunting clothes, mounted critters...

The second ring was a large pole barn full of y2k preps. 6 generators, 10 wood stoves(most new in box), 120+ cases of MREs, pallets of jeans, Pallets of TP, Pallets of paper towels, Pallets of toiletries, pallets of 6 gallon buckets or food...

20 year old MREs went for $1-2 a case... I almost bought a pallet as a science experiment, but came to my senses.

Buckets of food brought a little over $1, I figured the buckets were worth that(rice, wheat, beans, TVP, etc).

Much of the HBA, meds, and other stuff brought the same money as you could buy in date stuff at walmart.

I didn't stick around to see what the stoves and gennys brought, as the truck was full and the suburbanites were starting to get to me.
richbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2019, 20:27   #2
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Y2K prep?? I was 18. My Y2K prep was a case of Budweiser, a box of condoms, an FAL and a few SA battle packs...not exactly worth 5 million but almost.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2019, 21:05   #3
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I used up and rotated out mine,so no real loss. The value isn't so much what it was worth when nothing happened,more what it's worth when something does.
The spare tire under the back of your vehicle? Yeah,it might sit there all the vehicles life and you never get a flat. Its the insurance that if you do get a flat.
If they'd had bought freeze dried,they'd still have another 10 years or so of shelf life. MREs are okay for relatively short term storage,like around 5 years.They get rough after that.
The food buckets were very likely still plenty edible.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2019, 21:19   #4
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
What I learned in Y2K prep, was to stock stuff you're going to eat anyway.

I had a young child at the time, so I had a shitload of powdered milk. The dogs liked me to sprinkle it on their kibbles.

My current food storage, with exception of "mobile" food (MREs), is stuff I eat anyway. Need two, buy four, put two away.

And recently a friend of mine was hospitalized for 6 weeks and it will be months before he can go back to work as owner of his own HVAC company. It allows me to be obscenely generous, as I have to rotate the shit anyway.
Old August 24, 2019, 23:39   #5
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
^

This.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2019, 02:55   #6
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Yep, ours get rotated out to the dinner table or to the Salvation Army folks.

Y2K era Mountain House is still good to eat.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2019, 08:04   #7
richbug
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Yep, ours get rotated out to the dinner table or to the Salvation Army folks.

Y2K era Mountain House is still good to eat.

There was a pallet of canned freeze dried, but wasn't mountain house brand. It didn't bring much, I think $200. I wasn't thinking or I would have bought it or at least run it up higher.
Old August 25, 2019, 09:02   #8
RG Coburn
Registered

Freeze dried stuff is good to keep on hand. There are a couple brands I avoid,like Wise brand,but if it was Mountain House or AlpineAire,it would have been a real deal.
I wondered about the pallet of jeans.Especially if they were new condition. I would have either simply wore them out,or donated them for the tax write-off.
The TP and paper towels have no shelf life. I could see somebody like a group home or an AFC homesnagging those. They go thru those like crazy.
Generators,if they were in not-ran new condition,would be alright,especially if they were good brands like Honda or Yamaha. Woodstoves are cool,but most folks don't need more than one in a decade or so.
Old August 25, 2019, 11:38   #9
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
I think all we did for Y2K was store a week's worth of extra water and stock up the kitchen with regular non-perishables for a an extra week of stuff we already normally ate.

So no big deal, I wasn't too worried.

I actually had to help do some very basic testing and review of computer programs at my company as we made the needed 2 to 4 digit updates in code and programs. The company was ready well in advance and no issues.

I think the next time I made any preps of any significance was when China had taken possession of the one prop driven surveillance plane the U.S. had flying around over international waters and was forced to land by the Chinese. That seemed like a good time to make some extra preps since that's the kind of chit that can start wars.

Nowadays my preps are just basic extra ammo, water, camping gear, and a few weeks of extra food. Since i'm in a suburban area and have no tract of land to evacuate too, going to have to stay put and ride it out the best we can.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2019, 12:12   #10
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Just replaced all of my LDS heavy stocking cases,,,was time to rotate,,replace everything,,,,for me,,,,the last time,,,all this new stuff will out last my old ass.

2 yrs worth of chow for four people,,with just mama and me,,,should be good to go.

Got my extra water tanks in,,,enough gas for a yr or so to pull up fresh water with jennies.

Whatever happens,,,happens,,,,just don't want to be one of those folks starving inside 10 days or hitting up Walmart looking for crumbs.

Between power grid falling apart,,all on its own,,mother nature running amuck,,,,again,,,and all the potential man made problems,,,something to eat,,,water to drink,,,not a bad idea.

Old August 25, 2019, 16:50   #11
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
After that, there is always the cannibal thread
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2019, 18:16   #12
richbug
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Generators,if they were in not-ran new condition,would be alright,especially if they were good brands like Honda or Yamaha.
two were Isuzu diesel units still in crate, with transfer switches still in crate. I would worry about the racks being stuck on the injector pumps.

one was a honda 10K which might have seen minor use.

2 were mil surplus units, i didn't check them closely but pretty sure they were DC only.

a couple smaller low quality ones in varying states...
Old August 25, 2019, 18:34   #13
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Between power grid falling apart,,all on its own,,mother nature running amuck,,,,again,,,and all the potential man made problems,,,something to eat,,,water to drink,,,not a bad idea.
People with Beto signs have above ground pools. I'm taking my survival straw/filter over there.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2019, 20:01   #14
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
People with Beto signs have above ground pools. I'm taking my survival straw/filter over there.
Them people holding the Beto signs,,,,,,,,,,,,anyone know for sure,,, if its true,,,that it tastes like chicken?????

They got some chubby little gals in those ranks.

Old August 26, 2019, 07:08   #15
Bug Tussell
Registered

FALaholic #: 2872
Started buying cases of stuff to put away for a rainy day. Made the mistake of buying a buncha stuff that we don't eat. Stuff that we do eat we have worked our way through pretty well. Now freshness dates are looming.

So decided the way to go was to buy freeze dried from Costco - kinda of a get it and store it and forget it thing since their freshness dates are so far off.

Last year we bought a freeze dryer. This has been fun messing around with skittles and such for the grandkids. Last year was a lot of apples and green chile getting processed. Both are great. I have FD'd some cooked meats but haven't done any raw meats yet. The FD process doesn't process fatty foods too well. We're still learning on it.
Old August 26, 2019, 13:25   #16
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

I went "hungry" a lot before the Army,,,then while in the Army,,,went "hungry" on several occasions for extended periods of time,,,10 days/2 or three weeks,,,ugh even a few times.

After three or four days,,of nothing to eat,,,everything becomes a gourmet meal.

I learned,,,I'd eat damn near anything,,after going hungry,,,

For survival,,,anything that you can eat,,,that does not make you "violently" sick,,,is better than nothing,,far better in fact.

I hate pop tarts,,,but I know I can live on 6 of the damn things a day,,,if forced too.

Old August 26, 2019, 15:00   #17
starbuck
Registered

FALaholic #: 26466
I would have a problem wasting that much of anything. I'm not a prepper yet but I am a gardener and work on winter storage foods that we like to eat like onions, potatoes, and winter squash. I read an article about ancient houses in the middle east having a central grain bin they would fill up and use throughout the year. I like this idea, especially out west where you could keep it dry and bug free. When it gets old just grind it up and feed it to your livestock.
Old August 26, 2019, 21:16   #18
RG Coburn
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Tussell View Post
Started buying cases of stuff to put away for a rainy day. Made the mistake of buying a buncha stuff that we don't eat. Stuff that we do eat we have worked our way through pretty well. Now freshness dates are looming.

So decided the way to go was to buy freeze dried from Costco - kinda of a get it and store it and forget it thing since their freshness dates are so far off.

Last year we bought a freeze dryer. This has been fun messing around with skittles and such for the grandkids. Last year was a lot of apples and green chile getting processed. Both are great. I have FD'd some cooked meats but haven't done any raw meats yet. The FD process doesn't process fatty foods too well. We're still learning on it.
Your freeze drying....how are you storing the stuff after you do the process? Vacuum sealing after? I see some stuff is just sealed in a mylar package without vacuum,other stuff they vac the hell out of.
Old August 27, 2019, 16:35   #19
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
What I learned in Y2K prep, was to stock stuff you're going to eat anyway. I had a young child at the time, so I had a shitload of powdered milk. The dogs liked me to sprinkle it on their kibbles. My current food storage, with exception of "mobile" food (MREs), is stuff I eat anyway. Need two, buy four, put two away.

And recently a friend of mine was hospitalized for 6 weeks and it will be months before he can go back to work as owner of his own HVAC company. It allows me to be obscenely generous, as I have to rotate the shit anyway.

70% of our food stocks is the same food we eat day to day and week to week. I am eating last two cases of organic non GMO shredded wheat dated as purchased in 2017. Have discovered if buy on sale and don't break open the case, original box or inner sealed bag put case into a large plastic trash bag with some dessicant packs, vacuum all air possible out then put in metal job boxes as mice can't chew through 10 gauge steel and tastes the same two years later as fresh off grocery store shelf.

We use almond milk rather than dairy which has a six month rated storage unrefrigerated but in our cool basement in job boxes is still fine a year later. As need bring upstairs then next grocery store trip replace the oldest date pulled for consumption. This morning had a brown of my blueberry shredded wheat (normally have a bowl in evening as snack too) which was dated over 32 months ago with almond milk dated 14 months ago. Keep a list of what we pull from job boxes and freezers then replace next grocery trip that item is on sale and keep rotating stock.

First two years of a food shortage or SHTF we will basically eat same items eat week to week as have plenty of freezers and safe dry storage in basement. After the normal food runs dry then we start in on board of dried rice, beans, powdered milk and other bulk food from Sam's Club bought in restaurant size packages. When that runs dry (four year supply for two) then it's the years worth of 25 year rated freeze dried emergency food.

We have long term storage seeds that grow vegetables that produce more viable seed rather than modified versions which don't produce seed that can be perpetually replanted as years go by. Same with ammo, shoot oldest then reload with oldest components and keep rotating. Still loading with pre Sandy Hook components though still buy primers, powder and projectiles whenever see a good sale. Do not have to live off WW2 K rats, Vietnam C rats or MRE's. Experiment with storing food you like and keep a means to keep electricity as long as have food in freezers. We will eat dozen food first but likely keep restocking with wild game as long as deer and such wander in site.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote