Notices

Old May 16, 2019, 12:19   #51
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
Precisely. And enough of this pissing around already, bring on the freaking asteroid!

Did money work today,,,,?????

Yes it did.

All is well, today.

Bring on the BFR.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2019, 14:39   #52
bubbagump
Registered

FALaholic #: 21705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit308 View Post
I have never read the law or statute itself, but my guess would be that if the tax debtor is not able or willing to pay the alleged tax debt in FRNs, the agency responsible for collecting that alleged debt has the legal authority to seize any and all assets perceived to have value when sold at auction and converted to FRNs. The proceeds of said auction may or may not be sufficient to satisfy the alleged debt.

In other words, in the quest to take the 'Kings Cut', if the preferred medium of exchange(FRNs) is not available, the Kings men are willing to take chattel, sheaves of corn, and even a serfs freedom of movement.
Doubtless this is true. But it just begs my original question, which is how does this square with legal tender laws, which declare a currency to be exclusively 'legal tender for all debts, public or private'. Which means FRNs MUST be accepted for public debts. And which also declare that FRNs are the only lawful currency in the land, ie, the exclusivity clause. This to prevent banks from issuing their own currency backed by land, deposits, gold, or perhaps like the FR itself, nothing at all.

Because it sure seems to me that the act of seizing an asset transfers to that asset the status of money in that it is used to settle a debt, and that is not legal.
bubbagump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2019, 20:21   #53
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Quote:
Doubtless this is true. But it just begs my original question, which is how does this square with legal tender laws, which declare a currency to be exclusively 'legal tender for all debts, public or private'. Which means FRNs MUST be accepted for public debts. And which also declare that FRNs are the only lawful currency in the land, ie, the exclusivity clause. This to prevent banks from issuing their own currency backed by land, deposits, gold, or perhaps like the FR itself, nothing at all.

Because it sure seems to me that the act of seizing an asset transfers to that asset the status of money in that it is used to settle a debt, and that is not legal.
I just spent some time searching for the legal blah, blah, blah about whether anything other than FRNs are considered acceptable to the IRS for payment of taxes, other than the quote on the FRNs about 'legal tender for all debts....'.

I couldn't find anything about acceptable forms of payment, but there is a whole section in the Internal Revenue Code on the procedure for the levy and sale of property for the satisfaction of tax debt.

Reading legalese crosses my eyes and tees my dots.

If anyone else wants to try to find it, here is where I was searching.
https://irc.bloombergtax.com/public/...irc/subtitle-a

The truth does not require your belief.

"Fracking involves a two-phase combustion process: the first phase burns borrowed money to produce oil and gas; the second burns the oil and the gas." Dmitri Orlov
Exit308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2019, 22:27   #54
Gary Harwell
Becoming Embittered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39460
Local IRS refused my FRNs a few years back, had to show the the head monkey the phrase on the greenback. Asked him to sign something saying he was refusing my legal payment , finally relented and accepted, but warned me not to try that stunt again. Same scenario a month later. So yeah, .gov may or may not recognize it's own currency for fulfillment of debt.
Gary Harwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2019, 22:44   #55
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
No problem. We can always "print" more money. We have been doing it since the Eisenhower Administration without much problem. As long as the people accept paper and digits it really doesn't matter how much the government squanders away.
Old May 17, 2019, 04:52   #56
bubbagump
Registered

Quote:
I just spent some time searching for the legal blah, blah, blah about whether anything other than FRNs are considered acceptable to the IRS for payment of taxes, other than the quote on the FRNs about 'legal tender for all debts....'.

I couldn't find anything about acceptable forms of payment, but there is a whole section in the Internal Revenue Code on the procedure for the levy and sale of property for the satisfaction of tax debt.

Reading legalese crosses my eyes and tees my dots.

If anyone else wants to try to find it, here is where I was searching.
https://irc.bloombergtax.com/public/...irc/subtitle-a
Right. The law is one thing, regulations are another. Regulations are simply some bureaucrat's take on the law, a public statement on how they implement it.

As far as I'm concerned it's still a fair question, although it's a near certainty that it's been backed by case law somewhere. Because clearly the law, the real law, the one passed by congress says something quite different.
Old May 17, 2019, 09:29   #57
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Quote:
Right. The law is one thing, regulations are another. Regulations are simply some bureaucrat's take on the law, a public statement on how they implement it.

As far as I'm concerned it's still a fair question, although it's a near certainty that it's been backed by case law somewhere. Because clearly the law, the real law, the one passed by congress says something quite different.
Give me a hint as to what this is, so that I can see what you mean, please. I'd like to take a look.

The truth does not require your belief.

"Fracking involves a two-phase combustion process: the first phase burns borrowed money to produce oil and gas; the second burns the oil and the gas." Dmitri Orlov
Exit308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2019, 13:08   #58
bubbagump
Registered

Quote:
Give me a hint as to what this is, so that I can see what you mean, please. I'd like to take a look.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/31/5103. My understanding is this has been amplified through case law to restrict to US FRNs and their derivatives. You cannot offer an old car to the IRS to settle a debt, for example. But somehow they can take it if they want to.
Old May 17, 2019, 21:18   #59
Bama Steve
Registered

FALaholic #: 1982
Quote:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/31/5103. My understanding is this has been amplified through case law to restrict to US FRNs and their derivatives. You cannot offer an old car to the IRS to settle a debt, for example. But somehow they can take it if they want to.
It's not a question of which assets you own that they will take as payment/in exchange for a debt as much as it is; how many assets you own that you can be forced to liquidate to settle the terms of the debt.