Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old May 14, 2019, 19:37   #1
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 15514
Full spectrum optics

Just got 9 of these in today for T&E. The glass is amazing, very bright and clear with just a little color on the extreme edges. If you didn't know what to look for you'd never see it. Several are headed to a govt. agency for field tests and the rest are going to folks here to see if we can break them. In my opinion this is the best set-up for the money and until we go to all electronic systems, I can't see any need for anything else for a combat optic on rifles.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Th...SO-/18-736472/
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2019, 23:06   #2
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Are you looking for testers, or are you looking for someone to buy one from you, or (Option 'C') None of the above?

Looks interesting.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2019, 10:18   #3
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

These are beta prototypes ( preproduction run). GRSC asked us the take a look and shoot with them to provide feedback on any issues to get them ready for production. Already have folks lined up to test but wanted to make folks aware that this is out there. Ed has figured it out. There are things close but this is real and the price is nothing short of amazing (especially when I saw the glass). There is another member here that has shot this scope and can confirm its performance. This scope is better in performance and price than the military's new combat optic ( which uses a version of Ed's reticle to get around his patents, long story).
If anyone is really interested, we might be able to do a group buy.
Old May 19, 2019, 13:58   #4
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 65818
What’s the price going to be?

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

You can tell it's real because it looks so fake.
Elon Musk February 7, 2018
badzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2019, 13:03   #5
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Sorry, I hadn't responded to this as I was waiting for some test results. This effort is the result from what started some time ago.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...highlight=C2A1
Yep, it has taken that long and not finished yet. The question is, what optic is needed to survive, Period, end of question? Once that is asked, then who has to survive? If it is Sam, sniper, that is different than GI Joe or Bob, every guy. Some facts. There is technology out there that will knock your socks off. It will never be fielded. There is civilian stuff better than the military. Cost (dollars and time) vs survival and the effect of diminishing returns.
What is going on with this program is reticle speed. Could talk for hours but this is the best. I am hoping to be able to post test results from the folks who have tested this beside a couple of us here. The testers were very unique. Scope got an 8.7 out of 10 ( there are scopes out there that cost 5X this scope that can't make 8.5). This scope is not perfect and notes taken have been added for corrections. Also from this, we have been asked to provide an Enhanced Full Spectrum Optic. I can say no more at this time what enhanced means but will as time passes.
For those interested, if we can get 10 people who want to try this, I can get a good price. This not my source of income but I'll do this for those that are serious about this topic.
Old July 14, 2019, 13:36   #6
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Always interested in seeing new optics developed.
Keep us informed, please.
RVN 67-68
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2019, 19:53   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Would like to put one through its paces plus add some abuse on top. Been trying to find fairly priced used Leupolds with cosmetic issues which I send back to Leupold and have Horus reticles put in most times. They clean and service while swapping reticle and then been using one of the new low Ultraviolet/Thermal signature coatings have been able to buy without an LEO of dot gov letter to buy. Luckily it doesn't take much of the stuff to do a few rifles and am finding even after a couple magazines rifles are still almost invisible to even thermal.

Am currently saving for one of the 6-60x March scopes with built in laser ranging that automatically dopes your drop based on target in cross hairs. If March builds it then they will be top shelf.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2019, 19:28   #8
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
I'd be in for one of these, price dependent of course, for a wildcat .338 Fed (dedicated subsonic) build. Unsure what the protocol is here, but I'd be willing to do testing, also. Already got a Spuhr 35mm mono-mount, which was going to worn by a Leupold Mk 5HD, but could be convinced otherwise by this scope offering...
COBC #66
Farkën Snêekee Bastïtch
(formerly 'Capt D')
The Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2019, 21:09   #9
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
GRSC had a troubled history for some time. In the beginning, no US scope maker(Leupold and Burris) liked the reticle the guy was pushing. As soon as the guy(GRSC owner) left, Leupold and Burris started making scopes with the GRSC reticle.

He went to the Japanese and Chinese. Supposedly, Japan started producing the scope. I don't know if this is true or not but GRSC went to China

GRSC started with a 1-4x and then a 1-6. Apparently, they've moved up in the world. Their new 1-10 is still a Chinese scope but the Chinese are making better scopes these days

The reticle was crap when GRSC started and it's still crap. Maybe their new Chinese scope is OK
Old July 19, 2019, 11:28   #10
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

GRSC history is the usual story of an undercapitialzed little company. Even SIG is now using the horseshoe. My issue is to determine other points, good and bad with the horse shoe reticles under certain enviromental conditions.
Much of what is pushed by all the companies is marketing. It is difficult to get actual non subjective test data. A lot of this is because of the bias of the shooters themselves. I'm not saying that is bad as the scope and human are what sends a bullet to the target but it gets difficult to seperate the two factors. So what you try to do is get hard reports on results and why those results from enough sources to begin to get the human factor under control.
Based on this approach, the reports indicate the GRSC reticle has merits. Take it for what it is worth. This was brought to the Files as an FYI.
Old August 21, 2019, 14:37   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I took a 16" DPMS AR 10 using 168 grain ammo (FSO says calibrated for 77 grain 5.56 or 175 grain 7.62) thus not using recommended ammo for the FSO scope. Took along an M1a National Match scoped with Leupold VX3L 3.5-10x with Horus ranging reticle plus a SCAR 17 topped with Elcan Spectre 1.5-6x for comparison. A $599 rifle with $575 scope vs a pair of $2,000+ rifles with a $1,200 and a $1,500 scope.

Range used is a friends on north end of county and has maximum shot of 405 yards according to my Vortex laser range finder. We were shooting steel targets ranging from 8" and 10" round plates to various size shapes and quite a few standard size IPSC steel silhouette plates. Have steel IPSC zombies from 25 yards to full 400 yards and about every distance in between with level, downhill and uphill trending shots. I did drop a binary trigger with 3.9 pound pull in single fire position and AAC 51T suppressor adapter in the DPMS Oracle as matter of habit so can run with can or in high speed mode.

The 1.1-10x 35mm tube FSO scope has what appears an exact copy of a very popular high dollar donut with a few fine lines under it and from 25 yards to 200 yards center human size target in donut and listen to the clang. Past 200 we were using the in scope ranging systems of all scopes and till now thought there were none better than Horus and why half my Leupolds have Horus reticles in them. We shot from about 8:00 am till 11:00 am when too hot to continue.

For ranging on a 10" plate at non standard distance from 150 to 400 yards and standard silhouette targets from 250 to 400 yards the both of us were getting shots off faster and more consistent first shot hits with the $575 retail 1.1-10x FSO. Hopefully LGS will be selling soon but when I got back to shop owner had gone home sick and won't be back till Monday. Manager almost placed an order but has been out a month and unsure what might be on its way or what owners plans are for glass inventory.

We were shooting every bit as well with the $599 rifle topped with the FSO as the M1a and SCAR 17 both topped with over $1,000 scopes. All rifles had aftermarket mods that really didn't influence the test. We shot no groups from the bench to see how tight of group could shoot but ringing steel at varied range battle field simulated conditions the FSO was the scope I would want of three we tested based on quickly transitioning ranges to different size targets with only objective to hear the steel ring.

The big power ring was easy to adjust without hunting it, objective was nice with illumination off or in green or red. Target turrets are unnecessary as do all your doping in the scope using the hash marks. It even has a set of dots around perimeter in a square without bottom connected to use Mil Dot system for telling the artillery guys how much to dope their big guns if have artillery access but do not clutter optic at all. Basically this might be the best optic have ever used in its price range and the big 35mm tube helped suck in light early before sun got bright over the trees. Works with helmet mounted night vision (had helmet with a Leupold Tracker that lives in my truck) when we had rifle unloaded and was looking at livestock behind us from farm dogs to cattle.

We did all we could in short time to test the new toy but didn't do all I want, really want to see how well the fine center dot in middle of donut will allow shooting groups at 100 and 200 yards if it's a paper killing day working out best loads for a rifle. We did take turns running binary mag dumps to see if we could shake anything loose. Friend is a big farm hand and one of the better shooters I know. Watched him bounce soda cans at 100 yards with his SIG 10mm carry pistol and doesn't miss. We ran a total of six 20 round binary mag dumps about half way through our session and the FSO didn't act any different after a good thumping to see if had any loose parts in it.

Hopefully the LGS will have them in shop and on their website soon as owner gets back to work next week and talk him into placing a stocking order. Going to show it to all of my friendly shops to give option to stock as feel already this is an optic that needs to be on most shops shelf as an option for people on a budget to own a combat optic with wide power range and easy in reticle range finding.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote