The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > RKBA & Legal

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2019, 16:15   #1
justashooter
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 5967
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: york, pa.
Posts: 8,912
"case registry" didn't solve a single crime in 15 years

link to a story about the 5 million bux maryland wasted in collecting and cataloging fired cases from handguns, which resulted in exactly zero criminal prostitutions. another victory for "sensible restrictions".

https://freebeacon.com/issues/maryla...MJjLtndyY7Hz4Q
__________________
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.


The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2019, 18:02   #2
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 13629
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montgomery County, PA
Posts: 15,094
Maryland will say hat is proof they need to spend more money on it
__________________
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2019, 18:03   #3
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor
 
W.E.G.'s Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 1211
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Virginia
Posts: 40,442
I need one of those jobs where I get paid for accomplishing exactly NOTHING for fifteen years straight. What's the next grift?
__________________
.
.
.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2019, 09:21   #4
akajun
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 22516
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: louisiana
Posts: 1,451
idk what they are doing, our system ties them to crimes all the time. But we don't collect on every gun sold, just every gun seized as evidence, found, etc.
akajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2019, 09:59   #5
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 36091
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by akajun View Post
idk what they are doing, our system ties them to crimes all the time. But we don't collect on every gun sold, just every gun seized as evidence, found, etc.
that's part of the issue

frankly firearms forensics is largely bullshit science

I used to believe in it years ago but there is not really much evidence between say two barrels manufactured by the same facility in new condition. Extractors even less
fantasy shit
it's hardly a "fingerprint"

crime guns ?
I'm with you there
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2019, 10:54   #6
Tak
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 27291
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: United States, Georgia
Posts: 2,026
I'm just making up stats here, but probably what, 95% of all crimes committed with a firearm, there are eyewitnesses to the crime, fingerprints on spent cartridge casings, obvious perpetrators (video, eyewitnesses, known to the victim), such that the use of this kind of systematic data collection is really totally moot.

How oftern is there a crime committed with a firearm with no witness, no evidence at the scene other than a bullet or fragment thereof in the victim or nearby, that this kind of collected data would ever be necessary or even useful?

Seems a collosal waste of resources. That money could be better spent on more beat officers or training or vigorous prosecution of repeat offenders instead of letting them walk.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2019, 13:55   #7
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
V guy's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 10282
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: miami
Posts: 17,363
NYS gave up this "cobis" program too.

NYS collected fired casings from handguns for years, and finally had to call scrap dealers, to get rid of all that verdigris covered brass, that had been destroyed by time and humidity.

Liberals lost that one too.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 12:52   #8
akajun
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 22516
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: louisiana
Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
that's part of the issue

frankly firearms forensics is largely bullshit science

I used to believe in it years ago but there is not really much evidence between say two barrels manufactured by the same facility in new condition. Extractors even less
fantasy shit
it's hardly a "fingerprint"

crime guns ?
I'm with you there
Uh, its actually pretty solid evidence. The guy that does is is a good friend and hes shown me how it works. they make good cases and get convictions on it all the time.
He knows I have machine tools, he stated that If I milled something and gave him a few end mills he could tell me which one did it, if I didn't re sharpen it first.
akajun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 14:51   #9
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 36091
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by akajun View Post
Uh, its actually pretty solid evidence. The guy that does is is a good friend and hes shown me how it works. they make good cases and get convictions on it all the time.
He knows I have machine tools, he stated that If I milled something and gave him a few end mills he could tell me which one did it, if I didn't re sharpen it first.
It works fine on a well used gun that is abandoned after the crime was my point jun.
Don't work at all on mostly new firearms

with every shot forensics tend to change slightly based on wear imparted by use. Trying to fingerprint new guns by shell casings is fantasy...few hundred rounds later the ejected casings will have different markings on them then the cases cataloged when brand new
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 16:01   #10
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor
 
W.E.G.'s Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 1211
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Virginia
Posts: 40,442
"Toolmark" evidence has long been part of the toolkit of prosecutors.

Just like the old "footprint at the crime scene." Shows that somebody left a size 10 footprint from a pair of Chuck's. Dafug is that supposed to prove?

The problem with firearms and toolmark evidence is that a gazillion firearms get manufactured on the same factory tooling. So that same batch of a gazillion guns all have the same "unique" toolmarks.

Not very probative by itself.

A smart defense attorney would turn that sort of "evidence" around on the prosecution to argue that the prosecutor is so desperate to prove a weak case that the prosecutor has had to stoop to presenting evidence which proves nothing.
__________________
.
.
.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 16:13   #11
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 36091
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
"Toolmark" evidence has long been part of the toolkit of prosecutors.

Just like the old "footprint at the crime scene." Shows that somebody left a size 10 footprint from a pair of Chuck's. Dafug is that supposed to prove?

The problem with firearms and toolmark evidence is that a gazillion firearms get manufactured on the same factory tooling. So that same batch of a gazillion guns all have the same "unique" toolmarks.

Not very probative by itself.

A smart defense attorney would turn that sort of "evidence" around on the prosecution to argue that the prosecutor is so desperate to prove a weak case that the prosecutor has had to stoop to presenting evidence which proves nothing.
It's actually scary how many folks buy into the TV Cop drama crap WEG

yeah it's a tool, it's nothing exclusive though like actual fingerprints and even those are far from real proof
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 17:16   #12
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 34604
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SA Tx
Posts: 14,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post

A smart defense attorney would turn that sort of "evidence" around on the prosecution to argue that the prosecutor is so desperate to prove a weak case that the prosecutor has had to stoop to presenting evidence which proves nothing.
If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit. They couldn't even get the shoe footprints to even work out.
__________________
Giving people the benefit of the means it’s ok to screw you over.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The FAL Files