Notices

Old September 18, 2017, 15:43   #51
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
Truthfully is there really any other kind? Or when we say 'economic war' do we really mean just 'economic shenanigans'? I'm kinda thinking if they're calling it a war, maybe it is. And if so we ought to treat it like one rather than just surrendering at the outset.

To letting stuff fall where it well, yep its gonna do that anyway only difference being that to my thinking anyway we will be better off when the real crap starts if we go earlier rather than later. Because we sure as shooting aren't getting anywhere the way we're going.
When we block all of our ports to all incoming goods, then we be in an economic war, until then, shit is what it always has been, just the way things are done.

The world rises and the world sinks, then repeats.
Today, we're on the sink side, maybe, but it will rise again.

As for the almighty dollar, less than 250 years old, Roman coins were used for how many centuries and then fell from grace.

Empires rise and fall, none gets through history intact, we're no different.
Old Today, 11:49   #52
gates
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 129
There's a reason economic wars turn into hot wars, stop the flow of goods and pretty soon there is civil unrest in China as the paychecks stop... same as it ever was. I'm fairly certain we're gonna have one hell of a world war in our lifetimes - maybe within the next 5-10 years...
gates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:57   #53
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates View Post
There's a reason economic wars turn into hot wars, stop the flow of goods and pretty soon there is civil unrest in China as the paychecks stop... same as it ever was. I'm fairly certain we're gonna have one hell of a world war in our lifetimes - maybe within the next 5-10 years...
My prediction is less than three years!
We have the excess manpower, people are out of work, financial situation is a bubble about to burst, too many people in the world,,,,,,etc.
Its been 70 years since the last one and the old timers are about gone, the ones that could remind people, don;t go down this road, it leads to death and destruction.
People wage war, when they forget about how bad war really is.
Time to add to the larder.
Old Today, 14:25   #54
gates
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Yeah when's the last time we had total war - WWII? unless you can speak about the aftermath of a Dresden firebombing and what that does to the civvy population people really are not going to understand - the generation that experienced that is almost gone so I guess we get to re-live the mistake...
Old Today, 14:28   #55
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Yeah when's the last time we had total war - WWII? unless you can speak about the aftermath of a Dresden firebombing and what that does to the civvy population people really are not going to understand - the generation that experienced that is almost gone so I guess we get to re-live the mistake...
One thing about history, it always repeats itself, time after time.
People never learn from the past.
Old Today, 15:42   #56
gates
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

I know it sounds a bit crazy but there may be a chance that advanced past civilizations on this planet have gotten to where we currently are (technologically) and followed the path we are getting ready to go down - I know, a bit "woo woo", and it shitcans our current understanding of religions - BUT... what if?
Old Today, 16:17   #57
tdb59
not really a gun guy
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
When we block all of our ports to all incoming goods, then we be in an economic war...........

Or block exports of all American goods.

Neither of which is good policy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embargo_Act_of_1807

Matthew 5:16
tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:39   #58
rowjimmy
Diverter of Threads
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
When we block all of our ports to all incoming goods, then we be in an economic war, until then, shit is what it always has been, just the way things are done.
You weren't kidding when you said you didn't have a knowledge of finance.
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 18:28   #59
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I know it sounds a bit crazy but there may be a chance that advanced past civilizations on this planet have gotten to where we currently are (technologically) and followed the path we are getting ready to go down - I know, a bit "woo woo", and it shitcans our current understanding of religions - BUT... what if?
Many years ago, I read a novel about a contractor digging a hole in the ground on the side of a mountain, footings for a new home, and he hit a bulkhead surrounding a large shiny ass metal door.

One call lead to another, and finally some geeks from the local university showed up, took a look, ran some test, then the government men showed up right behind them.

Seems the door was 4 or 5 hundred thousands years old.

Our planet has been here for what, 4.5 billion years, to think or believe, we're the only generation to have ever reach this level of sophistication is a huge leap of faith.

Saw another piece once, it plotted out all the large radioactive deposits around the world, then some geek regressed the earths plate movements back to when the planet was one solid land mass, that was interesting too, how all that crap ended back up in roughly one location.

It seems every time a contractor digs a hole in the ground in the middle east, we learn something brand new about the world we live on we had no prior knowledge of.

Given enough time, all traces of mankind will one day be erased.
And this planet has been here for a very long time!

Naw, I don't think its a wacky idea at all.
Old Today, 18:39   #60
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowjimmy View Post
You weren't kidding when you said you didn't have a knowledge of finance.
Can't, sing, dance, nor play the fiddle either.

Like singing, dancing, and fiddle playing, financial concerns and the opinions on them are boundless, about what is good or bad, liked or disliked, one better than the other, etc.

If I want to hear singing, I turn on the radio, see dancing, fire up old Fred and Ginger on CD, or fiddle music go to a country concert.

I just don't pretend I know how to dance, sing, or play the fiddle.
I was real good at taking care of people, got a knack for getting folks to work together, as a team.
But, large but, I'm also aware, that there are people far better at all of this than I am or was.

When the world wide financial crisis hits, and it will one day, I'm pretty sure I'll recognize it for what it is and will do what must be done to come out the backside of it in as good as shape as possible, from my efforts for me and mine.

Did I miss anything?
Old Today, 18:43   #61
tdb59
not really a gun guy
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:

Matthew 5:16

Last edited by tdb59; Today at 22:10.
tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote