The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old April 20, 2010, 13:13   #101
direwolfe
Registered

FALaholic #: 33878
vials

that bart guy at candle power forums CURRENTLY has (AS OF 4-22-10) the 2x8 vials in green or blue that fit the S.U.I.T. trilux. Also some other sizes in. FYI.
Moderator can delete if this is redundant info.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...=222461&page=4

Last edited by direwolfe; April 22, 2010 at 16:11.
direwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2010, 19:12   #102
Ramone
Registered

FALaholic #: 51353
I just re-animated two SUIT scopes using four 1.5x55mm red tritium vials I bought from Bart from the CPF Forums.
After cleaning out the cutouts, I used two vials per scope, and put them in side by side. Red is what you want as green is just too bright IMO.
Ramone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 02, 2010, 20:54   #103
Oakspring
Registered

FALaholic #: 5205
Just ordered tritium from B@rt at CPF 1.55x5mm x 1 RED @ $7.50 ea. and 2x8mm x 1 GREEN @ $11.00 ea.

Can't wait until I can reactivate the night sight. Interestingly when I got the original expired tritium bulb out it still had a very slight glow that I could just barely see a slight glow in my peripheral vision...very dim but still there.

I'm going to try and install both tritium devices in the sight one at each end of the oval mount and see if I can do a direct comparison between the two colors.
Old October 26, 2010, 20:39   #104
alant
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 46689
Gents,

What is the odds on favorite tritium without having to dremel?

A single 2x8mm?
or
Two 1.55x5mm?
or
Whichever is in stock?

Secure with a little spackle? How much is "a little"?

What are you using to position the vial(s)? Tweezers? (Not a gunsmith)
May He turn their ankles, so we'll know them by their limp.
- Old Gaelic Blessing

Last edited by alant; October 26, 2010 at 20:45.
alant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2010, 03:22   #105
Ramone
Registered

FALaholic #: 51353
I used two 1.55x5 red vials. Each one is about the size of a grain of rice, and they will fit side by side with no mods to the cap.

I used a dental pick to put them in place. Before I put these in, I put some of the material in the recess first, filling the cavity almost to the top, then placed the vials toward one end, then covered one half of them with the spackle. Make sure everything is flush, or slightly below flush.
Ramone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 03, 2011, 21:20   #106
Blood of Tyrants
Registered

FALaholic #: 1244
Bart's new thread;

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...read-Part-Deux

One day, in the not too distant future, good men and women like those that serve in Iraq, will decide that the United States isn't worth fighting for and the blame will be squarely on the shoulders of the DemocRat Party.
Blood of Tyrants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2011, 18:31   #107
dirtbag
Registered

FALaholic #: 63244
Damn I did not see this. I have ordered 2x 1.55 x 5.5mm green vials. Will these be sufficient to light up my fibre optic in my suit ?
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2011, 20:07   #108
Cofaler
Registered

FALaholic #: 21421
I just did mine a couple weeks ago and that's what I used. I would call it adequate, it's bright enough but not too bright for my taste. If I had it to do over I would probably put one or two more in and try to brighten it up and use the dial to turn it down a little. Others may chime in.
Old April 19, 2011, 07:41   #109
dirtbag
Registered

FALaholic #: 63244
Excellent many thanks for the reply , made me feel better !
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2011, 00:17   #110
SID325
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 14958
Well, I just re-animated my Trilux using 2 of B@rt's 1.55x5mm ice-blue tritium vials. The ice-blue vials are very subtle and the reason why I used two. I used wall repair spackle and set the two vials flush. All in all, I think its going to work fine. The fiberoptic tip is bright enough to be usable, but in no way overpowering.

sid
SID325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 09:38   #111
1646Buff1
Registered

FALaholic #: 54615
has anyone else had trouble getting the retaining ring out? I just bought one from a guy in the marketplace and the retaining ring has no holes in it and the ring is very tight, even small hemostats won't get under or around it.

has anyone had a similar situation and what was your remedy?
1646Buff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 10:19   #112
mhobtr
Contributor

FALaholic #: 20291
Quote:
Originally posted by 1646Buff1
the retaining ring has no holes in it
Sounds like someone did you wrong! I have never seen an internal snap ring without holes for snap ring pliers.

You may be able to get a sharp point under one end and pull it out. Once you get an edge out, you should be able to get a small screwdriver underneath and start working it out.

Getting it out is most likely bugger the top up pretty good.

If I were you, I would be really ticked off.

Obama, OneBigAssMistakeAmerica
mhobtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 14:30   #113
1646Buff1
Registered

There is no way to get anything under or on either side of it, sucks, plus you can tell someone scared it up trying already. As stated it was bought here in the marketplace but it does appear I was taken advantage of
Old May 22, 2011, 15:50   #114
mhobtr
Contributor

If you have a good drill press, you might try drilling the missing holes in the snap ring. Problem is the snap ring is spring steel so you would need a carbide drill bit and as small as it is, it would be real easy to break the bit.

Also, a diamond tip cutter, like a dentist drill, might cut the ring in half so you could get it out in pieces. I wouldn't trust my hands to be steady enough to do that without slipping and scratching sommething so I would protect the scope housing and sacrifice the insert. Mountainman has been making replacements so you can get another from him.

You might email gunplumber on this forum and see if he has any ideas. He's really good.

Old June 08, 2011, 09:29   #115
1646Buff1
Registered

an update, I was able to get the ring out without too much damage, but now that i have reanimated my scope i need another snap ring. the one i took out was not the right one obviously and it was damaged significantly so i was wondering if anyone had dims on theirs so i could buy a replacement. any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old June 08, 2011, 09:55   #116
mhobtr
Contributor

That's a standard internal snap ring. The Brits call them circlips. You can probably get a pack of them at home depot for less than $5.

I believe it's a 1/2" but I will try to remember to measure one of mine this evening and let you know for sure.

You will need a set of internal snap ring pliers to install it properly and definitely to remove it. You may be able to install it without the pliers by forcing it in but you will scratch up the housing doing it. Make sure the pliers you buy have tips that fit the holes in the snap ring. I bought a kit that has several interchangable tips that works good.

Out of curiosity, how did you get the original out?

Old June 08, 2011, 10:02   #117
1646Buff1
Registered

it was a mess, i actually ended up cutting it it the middle (the snap ring) with a combination of dremel and a tiny drill bit I had, i broke several drill bits and eventually used the dremel for that last bit. with care the housing is not damaged, other than what the original owner did trying to get it out. i have already installed the new tritium and will make a trip out to hardware store in a bit, but if you can try to measure tonight if you have time.

if i find one that works i will post here so you don't go to the trouble for nothing.

thanks so much for quick reply
Old September 04, 2011, 04:17   #118
Gloworm
Registered

FALaholic #: 64071
On Saturday I replaced the worn out vials on both my newly acquired SUIT sight (thanks Dennis) and my SUSAT sight, both were relatively easy but the Susat wasn't as fiddly as there isn't a circlip but a locking allen screw.

I used the green tritium as opposed to the standard red and am impressed with the initial results.

Thanks for a good 'how to' I may not do a lot of low light shooting but it is good to have the option available :-)
Gloworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2011, 20:25   #119
car15
Registered

FALaholic #: 64494
Quote:
Originally posted by Gloworm
On Saturday I replaced the worn out vials on both my newly acquired SUIT sight (thanks Dennis) and my SUSAT sight, both were relatively easy but the Susat wasn't as fiddly as there isn't a circlip but a locking allen screw.

I used the green tritium as opposed to the standard red and am impressed with the initial results.

Thanks for a good 'how to' I may not do a lot of low light shooting but it is good to have the option available :-)
Can you post or PM how to modify the SUSAT and what and where to get the part(s) needed?

Thanks
car15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2011, 15:41   #120
Ductapeman
Registered

FALaholic #: 17797
Count me in on this project as well. I picked up a nearly-new SUIT sight at our local gun show a few weeks ago, and just today had the time to get the lamp holder out of the scope body. What a fight! I have a set of circlip pliers, but the tips were that much too thick for the clip, and the tips of my needle nose had rounded too much to stay in the holes. How did I succeed, you ask? I handed the unit to our chief gunsmith here and asked nicely-- he had it out in about ten minutes, and told me not to talk to him the rest of the day. Now to find a replacement tritium element. I saw B@rt's ad when I first got the scope, but CPF is down, so I guess I'll have to wait. (Unless any of you intrepid gentlemen happen to have a spare . . . I keed, I keed--) I will post again when I have more to post about-- Lee

I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.--Clarence Darrow
Ductapeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 06, 2012, 19:14   #121
kopcicle
Registered

FALaholic #: 38056
B@rt

Just received from B@rt . It and he are the real deal . I have the gaypal address as well as a personal email . If Admin/Mod doesn't mind I'll post the link ....
LINK
~kop

Last edited by kopcicle; April 08, 2012 at 14:43. Reason: added link
kopcicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 06, 2012, 20:32   #122
AndyC
Porridge Wog
Contributor

FALaholic #: 19755
No problem at all.

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2012, 07:14   #123
Atarget
Registered

FALaholic #: 3336
Suit Trilux Scope tritium

I've delt with B@RT on several occasions and he is awesome!
Fast shipment and excellent communication.
I'll try to also post the link.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...hlight=Tritium
Old November 09, 2012, 20:38   #124
dominus
Registered

FALaholic #: 27366
So what's the consensus for the absolute best size tritium vial to get?
Old February 04, 2013, 15:04   #125
19&41
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 29354
I got the size Bart had available at the time, 1X5mm. I just lamped mine with red and yellow tubes. I used JB weld WaterWeld epoxy putty to set them. Also, I found harbor frieght sells an assortment of inside snap rings and they also sell the snap ring pliers.
19&41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2013, 16:58   #126
Matell
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71117
Deffinitive Guide to SUIT Trilux Tritium Replacement?

So I just completed reanimating the Tritium of my early model L2A2 SUIT Scope and thought instead of making a new thread I'd add the info to this existing and excellent thread.

Firstly as has been said around here you'll need a pair of Internal/External Circlip pliers such as these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/interna...ers-60593.html

For those who have difficulty, I used the straight point tips and worked the plug up and out of the sight while keeping the clip firmly compressed. You should be able to raise the plug far enough out that the clip is free of it's race, and then it's easy to remove.

Next as mentioned in the first post, carefully scrape out the original putty. You don't have much room around the original vial so use something very fine and be patient.

Below are a series of images I took that I felt would help answer many repeat questions. Note the dimensions are in inches, so multiply them by 25.4 to get mm. My measurements were also not taken without the greatest of precision just as a warning.

Original Vial Length (7.73mm)

Original Vial Diameter (note I didn't scrape of the putty) (5.09mm)

Cap recess length (9.75mm)

Cap recess width (5.19mm)

Cap recess depth (5.53mm)

(Note: the ends and base of the recess are radiussed. Treat these values as conservative. Any Tritium vial equal too, or less than these should fit.)

Completed install. Portion covered to allow dimming by turning the knob.

I used qty(2) 2x8mm Red Vials from B@rt
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...-part-deux-bis

And I embedded them in Sugru as it's what I had laying around. I used a cotton tipped stick to push them into the sugru, and denaturated alcohol (metho ) for clean up. I used a little too much Sugru and couldn't bury the vials quite deep enough to get more than a thin covering which some light leaks through)

Here's the result with some ambient light

and in total darkness

It looks a little brighter, a little more orange, and sharper in real life of course.
These are the best I could manage to get from my iPhone 5.

Hope this helps someone!
Matell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2013, 17:27   #127
intersite
Registered

FALaholic #: 32864
Excellent work - just one point, I find the green vials much better in terms of brightness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matell View Post
So I just completed reanimating the Tritium of my early model L2A2 SUIT Scope and thought instead of making a new thread I'd add the info to this existing and excellent thread.

Firstly as has been said around here you'll need a pair of Internal/External Circlip pliers such as these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/interna...ers-60593.html

For those who have difficulty, I used the straight point tips and worked the plug up and out of the sight while keeping the clip firmly compressed. You should be able to raise the plug far enough out that the clip is free of it's race, and then it's easy to remove.

Next as mentioned in the first post, carefully scrape out the original putty. You don't have much room around the original vial so use something very fine and be patient.

Below are a series of images I took that I felt would help answer many repeat questions. Note the dimensions are in inches, so multiply them by 25.4 to get mm. My measurements were also not taken without the greatest of precision just as a warning.

Original Vial Length (7.73mm)

Original Vial Diameter (note I didn't scrape of the putty) (5.09mm)

Cap recess length (9.75mm)

Cap recess width (5.19mm)

Cap recess depth (5.53mm)

(Note: the ends and base of the recess are radiussed. Treat these values as conservative. Any Tritium vial equal too, or less than these should fit.)

Completed install. Portion covered to allow dimming by turning the knob.

I used qty(2) 2x8mm Red Vials from B@rt
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...-part-deux-bis

And I embedded them in Sugru as it's what I had laying around. I used a cotton tipped stick to push them into the sugru, and denaturated alcohol (metho ) for clean up. I used a little too much Sugru and couldn't bury the vials quite deep enough to get more than a thin covering which some light leaks through)

Here's the result with some ambient light

and in total darkness

It looks a little brighter, a little more orange, and sharper in real life of course.
These are the best I could manage to get from my iPhone 5.

Hope this helps someone!
intersite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2013, 17:36   #128
Matell
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71117
Quote:
Originally Posted by intersite View Post
Excellent work - just one point, I find the green vials much better in terms of brightness.
I'd agree.

I just wanted the red illumination as I'm trying to make my 1963 Aussie L1A1 as authentic as possible..... for a kit gun.

Last edited by Matell; October 11, 2013 at 01:00.
Matell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2013, 18:03   #129
intersite
Registered

FALaholic #: 32864
Well she's a beauty! Post pics of the sight on the rifle - dying to see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matell View Post
I'd agree.

I just wanted the red illumination as I'm trying to make my 1963 Aussie L1A1 as authentic as possible with a kit gun.
intersite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2013, 11:56   #130
TheOtherTinMan
Registered

FALaholic #: 28548
Does anyone have a source for original tritium holders? Or has anyone made a replacement thingy that can be reanimated?

My SUIT came with the battery-LED thing which is a piece of junk. I'd like to reanimate mine but I don't have an original tritium holder/adjustment knowb/doohickey.
Old October 16, 2013, 12:52   #131
mhobtr
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherTinMan View Post
Does anyone have a source for original tritium holders? Or has anyone made a replacement thingy that can be reanimated?

My SUIT came with the battery-LED thing which is a piece of junk. I'd like to reanimate mine but I don't have an original tritium holder/adjustment knowb/doohickey.
Check with Mountain Man. I think he has made some in the past.

Old October 30, 2013, 16:22   #132
Dutchman Dick
Registered

FALaholic #: 72409
Here's where I got the vial I used in my Israeli SUIT:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290956706702...84.m1439.l2649

I ordered a single "Tritium-MAX" red vial. It lights up the sighting post tip enough to see in dim light conditions. Don't know how it compares to an original but I'm sure it will serve the purpose. Oh, and I used drywall mud compound to hold the vial in place. closest thing I could find to whatever was originally used.
Dutchman Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2016, 20:18   #133
popy63
Registered

FALaholic #: 65575
bump to read
popy63 is online now   Reply With Quote