Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old October 14, 2017, 08:30   #1
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
High thumb

Why is the guy on the front of the picture with his thumb way high on the revolver?
Old October 14, 2017, 08:41   #2
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Looks like he is about to make a shot after cocking for single action...?
May have just cocked it when the shutter snapped...?
3rd guy is doing the same thing.

=------} They strain gnats and swallow camels...

=------} Just a battleship mouth and a rowboat ass...
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2017, 12:21   #3
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Don't know for sure but they did have training from a barricade stance where the thumb was used against the wall to steady the shot. The thumb was not part of the grip but pushed against the wall.
Old October 14, 2017, 20:54   #4
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
Some people push against the left side recoil shield to better control the revolver in recoil.
In this case it may simply be the most consistent spot to apply the thumb. I'd guess he gets very repeatable hand placement on the grip with that hold.
Old October 15, 2017, 18:17   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Six men in same uniforms with same equipment all with variations in gripping their gun. Inconsistent training with no "standard". #1 and #3 both have thumb resting high on cylinder as drop the hammer. #1 is shooting both eyes open and #3 is shooting right handed but left eye dominant. #2, #4 and #5 all have same low thumb grip but #4 is a southpaw. #2 appears to be shooting left eye closed and the southpaw #4 appears to be both eyes open (guessing as seems weak eye is open so assume dominant is as well). Hard to be sure but #5 seems to be both eyes open. #6 is pretty much obscured but down the line looks live varience in stance with some straight forward leg, some with knee slightly bent, #2 has feet closer together than rest with relaxed stance and #1 can't see his legs. #2 and #3 are almost facing forward with hips and midsection, #5 and #6 are almost totally sideways.

Most of the schools have been too instructor would be all over the group and stopping live fire till got everyone's stance consistent to style of teaching, grip standardized and both eyes open. Instructors usually have a stance, hold and head/eye technique they prefer students to use. Have spent two days learning to shoot a way I didn't like but on occasion would adapt a part of what was taught and modify my stance. One thing have seen almost every instructor bust people on is thumbing the frame/slide/cylinder. Last person I ran through my class was thumbing his handguns terribly so stopped him, ran 30 minutes of dry fire staying on him every time his thumb tried to go back to touching side of gun and hammering him on stance. He was exerting different pressure on each gun based on its size and shape plus the more a gun recoiled, more he leaned to rear instead of into the hard hitters.

Right wrong or indifferent, accuracy comes from consistency. When went back to live rounds his groups had closed three to four inches on average which stunned him. Initially at 25 feet could not keep full magazine or cylinder in A and C area of regulation IPSC target. Had shots wide and low in D area plus high into B. Even had a few misses with his little polymer Ruger 380 pocket pistol. An hour into time at firing line he was keeping all shots with all guns in A/C with many more A's than when begun. Took three weeks to unlearn him before able to properly lay a good foundation. Inside of two months he was one of my go-to guys for backup in security environment.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2017, 23:17   #6
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Early image of GIGN I suspect. They were/are fairly well known for being able to hit what they aim at with those MR73s.
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2017, 01:28   #7
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Six men in same uniforms with same equipment all with variations in gripping their gun. Inconsistent training with no "standard". #1 and #3 both have thumb resting high on cylinder as drop the hammer. #1 is shooting both eyes open and #3 is shooting right handed but left eye dominant. #2, #4 and #5 all have same low thumb grip but #4 is a southpaw. #2 appears to be shooting left eye closed and the southpaw #4 appears to be both eyes open (guessing as seems weak eye is open so assume dominant is as well). Hard to be sure but #5 seems to be both eyes open. #6 is pretty much obscured but down the line looks live varience in stance with some straight forward leg, some with knee slightly bent, #2 has feet closer together than rest with relaxed stance and #1 can't see his legs. #2 and #3 are almost facing forward with hips and midsection, #5 and #6 are almost totally sideways.

Most of the schools have been too instructor would be all over the group and stopping live fire till got everyone's stance consistent to style of teaching, grip standardized and both eyes open. Instructors usually have a stance, hold and head/eye technique they prefer students to use. Have spent two days learning to shoot a way I didn't like but on occasion would adapt a part of what was taught and modify my stance. One thing have seen almost every instructor bust people on is thumbing the frame/slide/cylinder. Last person I ran through my class was thumbing his handguns terribly so stopped him, ran 30 minutes of dry fire staying on him every time his thumb tried to go back to touching side of gun and hammering him on stance. He was exerting different pressure on each gun based on its size and shape plus the more a gun recoiled, more he leaned to rear instead of into the hard hitters.

Right wrong or indifferent, accuracy comes from consistency. When went back to live rounds his groups had closed three to four inches on average which stunned him. Initially at 25 feet could not keep full magazine or cylinder in A and C area of regulation IPSC target. Had shots wide and low in D area plus high into B. Even had a few misses with his little polymer Ruger 380 pocket pistol. An hour into time at firing line he was keeping all shots with all guns in A/C with many more A's than when begun. Took three weeks to unlearn him before able to properly lay a good foundation. Inside of two months he was one of my go-to guys for backup in security environment.
Normal rules do not apply for folks on these teams Huey, so long as they can drop a hammer each and every time on a human target without hesitation and hit said target, no one gets excited about any variations in individual technique.
Old October 16, 2017, 01:34   #8
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
Early image of GIGN I suspect. They were/are fairly well known for being able to hit what they aim at with those MR73s.
Yes they were,
Old October 16, 2017, 14:10   #9
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
The officer in the foreground is Squadron Leader (then Lieutenant) Prouteau, the founding OIC of GIGN.
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote