The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Class III Files

Notices

Old October 16, 2018, 10:29   #1
BarnOwlLover
Registered

FALaholic #: 81552
Best current era belt fed 5.56mm machine gun.

I have a busy time today, so I probably won't be able to respond until tomorrow, but I wanted to get this thread started while I have some time.

My top 3 are the FN Minimi/M249, the HK MG4, and the IWI Negev.

Feel free to discuss until I get back
BarnOwlLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2018, 23:54   #2
Doug_262
Registered

FALaholic #: 63845
No idea on best but I always wanted a Ameli
Doug_262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2018, 09:29   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I got to play with a Negev. Apparently not so popular with the troops. But Israelis don't put much effort into PMCS.

Old October 17, 2018, 09:47   #4
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
The Daewoo K3 of course!

hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2018, 09:54   #5
Elwarpo
Registered

FALaholic #: 38498
5.56 minigun...the rest are just snails...

ďThe only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothingĒ Edmund Burke
Elwarpo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2018, 10:46   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Only one I every got to fire was a Saw at one of our machinegun shoots. Run a belt through it and loved it.
Old October 17, 2018, 10:52   #7
BarnOwlLover
Registered

Isn't the K3 sort of a Minimi?

My opinions: The Minimi is the original and still one of the best.

The MG4 has some improvements over the Minimi, but isn't much of an improvement. Still a good weapon that stands toe to toe with the Minimi

The Negev seems to be pretty sealed up from dirt and dust, and is semi/full auto select fire, and the 5.56mm versions can fire rifle grenades for what's that worth.
Old October 18, 2018, 17:11   #8
preston1026
Go Seminoles!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 38005
I want the flight/lite upper but canít justify $4k for a rifle that has all kinds of unique parts with limited availability that are largely unproven.

Cool idea though, especially if you have a registered lower,DIAS or link.
preston1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2018, 09:53   #9
kimberkid
Registered

FALaholic #: 42874
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston1026 View Post
I want the flight/lite upper but canít justify $4k for a rifle that has all kinds of unique parts with limited availability that are largely unproven.

Cool idea though, especially if you have a registered lower,DIAS or link.
I've got an MCR "lite" ... made under the name of Ares Defence, which I think is the same as flightlite ... the "lite" version is stripped down, I think I paid $2600 for the upper but then got a 12" barrel & mag adapter to hold nut sack's and 200 rnd ammo boxes ... and a full-auto bolt as I have an M16

Its been very reliable as long as you use a decent quality ammo ... it doesn't like the cheap, dirty, under-powered stuff like regular Wolf or WWB.

I've read online that some people have had problems using "used" links (but I've heard that about the new semi-SAW too) ... I have some links that I bought as "once fired" and have used them several times without issue, if fact they may run a little smoother than less used ones.
Old November 20, 2018, 17:00   #10
gaijinsamurai
Registered

FALaholic #: 24362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Only one I every got to fire was a Saw at one of our machinegun shoots. Run a belt through it and loved it.
My USMC unit had them in Desert Shield/Storm, and they didn't function very well in the desert.

Nine years later, I returned to the Middle East with the National Guard and so-called "improved" M249 SAWs. They didn't perform much better.
gaijinsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2018, 09:50   #11
TOWS220
Registered

FALaholic #: 51208
Its not belt fed... But I dont care.
By far the best lmg (5.56) out there is the ultimax 100.
Old November 21, 2018, 14:58   #12
BarnOwlLover
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijinsamurai View Post
My USMC unit had them in Desert Shield/Storm, and they didn't function very well in the desert.

Nine years later, I returned to the Middle East with the National Guard and so-called "improved" M249 SAWs. They didn't perform much better.
I've read that until recent years that M249s have been a mixed bag in terms of reliability in desert conditions. Yet, I haven't read reports of the FN Minimi (same thing basically as the M249) giving trouble in similar conditions. I wonder if it's down to original Belgian specs vs FN USA's production values for early SAWs or different maintenance procedures.
Old November 22, 2018, 22:29   #13
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwlLover View Post
I've read that until recent years that M249s have been a mixed bag in terms of reliability in desert conditions. Yet, I haven't read reports of the FN Minimi (same thing basically as the M249) giving trouble in similar conditions. I wonder if it's down to original Belgian specs vs FN USA's production values for early SAWs or different maintenance procedures.
Paco just snagged up a license built Minimi recently.
He posted up pix of how poorly done they were contrasted to the FN Belgian product.

Something Americans generally have a difficult time understanding is that FN Belgium produces a product generally little confined to being the lowest bidder
Regardless what people may think, FN America is not any more Belgian than SIG America is German.

Just the way it is.

The CETME Ameli while a hoot has long held reliability issues. Played with two different guns, both exhibited a degree of failures to feed

Best belt feds ?
Russian built PKM hands down
FN MAG
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2018, 12:07   #14
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Best belt feds ?
FN MAG
Excellent choices, but, providing I was well-supplied with spare barrels, scads of ammo, and a means to transport it (i.e. not humping it over hill and dale), I'd take an MG3 with Lafette. There are pluses and minuses with any system, and there is no one-size-fits-all system, but the MG3 system gives a much higher hit probability at extended range. Running around and expecting short-to-medium range engagements? It would not be my first choice, but it could certainly work well enough.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2018, 12:43   #15
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_262 View Post
No idea on best but I always wanted a Ameli
Yes, I donít have any experience with them but always thought they were cool as hell. Like a small, green 5.56 MG-42.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!Ē -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2018, 14:18   #16
BarnOwlLover
Registered

Quote:
Paco just snagged up a license built Minimi recently.
He posted up pix of how poorly done they were contrasted to the FN Belgian product.

Something Americans generally have a difficult time understanding is that FN Belgium produces a product generally little confined to being the lowest bidder
Regardless what people may think, FN America is not any more Belgian than SIG America is German.

Just the way it is.

The CETME Ameli while a hoot has long held reliability issues. Played with two different guns, both exhibited a degree of failures to feed

Best belt feds ?
FN MAG
Well, FN USA had to rebuild many M249s with continuously welded bolt guide rods that significantly improved durability. It seems like production values weren't as good as the original FN product until a few years ago. Oddly, this doesn't seem to have effected the M240.
Old November 23, 2018, 17:23   #17
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
Yes, I donít have any experience with them but always thought they were cool as hell. Like a small, green 5.56 MG-42.
wanna try and build a semi clone ?

Have one saw cut post sample with several barrels
be advised I'd need way more than a common 249 kit to even consider letting it go.

Heard Spain destroyed quite a pile of them recently, didn't even offer them on the secondary market
Old November 23, 2018, 17:29   #18
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Well, FN USA had to rebuild many M249s with continuously welded bolt guide rods that significantly improved durability. It seems like production values weren't as good as the original FN product until a few years ago. Oddly, this doesn't seem to have effected the M240.
par for the course with US licensed built crap

Do you remember the problems DoD had with Beretta America M9 clones versus Italian made guns ?

SIG America trash versus German SIGs ?

there's an actual reason why preban Austrian built Styer AUGs have held their value
Old November 24, 2018, 12:49   #19
andresere
Master of Gunnery
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 6598
I never cared much for M249s. The M-240 is virtually bulletproof - the only malfunction I have ever had in literally 10s of thousands of rounds with it was a cartridge case separated and left the neck in the chamber. Took awhile to figure it out but cleared it right out with a cleaning rod. Got a chance to shoot Mark's PKM when I was in Arizona. Very well done weapon, a lot more AK'ish (simple, easy to operate) than the M240. M60 was a good machine gun, provided you knew how to load it. I packed one once, walked in to an ambush and went to open up on the Communist hordes. And not a thing happened. If you have the bolt forward, lay the ammo in, close the cover and charge it, you are screwed when it comes time to shoot. Didn't know that, everyone assumed I knew how to load it. That would have never happened with an M240 as the bolt roller is spring-loaded and will work either way.
Old November 24, 2018, 12:52   #20
BarnOwlLover
Registered

It also seems that with stuff that's machined or forged that production values are better than stamped stuff.

Also, I think that some of the workers at FN USA when they were making M240s remembered either the M73/219 tank machine gun that was a failure or the M60, which was a mixed bag in terms of reliability and performance.

I don't know about the MG4 and MG5, as thus far only HK makes them. Interestingly, HK also makes the FN MAG as the British Army's L7 GPMG. They acquired the rights after they split from BAE Systems.
Old November 25, 2018, 12:32   #21
andresere
Master of Gunnery
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 6598
Quote:
It also seems that with stuff that's machined or forged that production values are better than stamped stuff.

Also, I think that some of the workers at FN USA when they were making M240s remembered either the M73/219 tank machine gun that was a failure or the M60, which was a mixed bag in terms of reliability and performance.

I don't know about the MG4 and MG5, as thus far only HK makes them. Interestingly, HK also makes the FN MAG as the British Army's L7 GPMG. They acquired the rights after they split from BAE Systems.
Your bag must have got more running M219s in it than mine did. The things you knew verbatim were immediate action, clearing and loading. I was never so glad to get M240s. Then when we went to M1s we also got away from the M85. Which wasn't bad if you knew a few tricks.
Old November 25, 2018, 14:04   #22
BarnOwlLover
Registered

Actually I've never been in the service, and if I was, I'm way too young for the M73/219 era. But I know that they were pretty god-awful in terms of reliability and durability.

Its also just like how the M249s were a mixed bag in terms of reliability until FN USA used continuously welded guide rails for the bolt. Or that the SA80 was fairly bad until HK reworked it.
Old November 26, 2018, 17:46   #23
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Only belt Feds I have fired more than a partial belt were M-60's and salt 5.56 SAW's. I had no problems with either but have no combat experience just two years of ROTC and used to get more than occasional invitations to a local training camp. If was young and strong or in fixed position give me the M-60. If carrying the thing with ammo loadout at age 55 will take the 5.56 SAW. If buying your own would assume if found a good armorer most bugs could be worked out of any choice with time and money.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2018, 14:03   #24
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
par for the course with US licensed built crap

Do you remember the problems DoD had with Beretta America M9 clones versus Italian made guns ?

SIG America trash versus German SIGs ?

there's an actual reason why preban Austrian built Styer AUGs have held their value
Look for the "Made in USA" label.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2018, 13:32   #25
BarnOwlLover
Registered

Sorry to revive this thread, but I've seen some videos about the Stoner 86/96/KAC Lightweight LMGs. Anyone have thoughts or opinions on them? Basically belt fed 5.56s that weight no more than the USMC M27 rifle, and now a 7.62mm version that's lighter than a Minimi/M249.