The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old October 08, 2018, 16:39   #1
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
2019 Rockcastle Run N Gun 5k & 10k: March 16-17, Park City, KY

I can't believe it's time to start work on this already...but just to get on everyone's calendars: the best place to keep up with match stuff by far is the Facebook Event Page at https://www.facebook.com/events/3342...tive_tab=about. Click "Going" or "Interested" and you'll see all the questions and answers from everyone about the match. Do be sure to check your notification settings, as Facebook changes the rules on that all the time and thinks they know best about what you want to see - I've missed several notifications because of that in the past.

For anti-FBers, I'll try to repost what I think is the important stuff in several public forums (this being one of them!). So here goes:

Intro:

The 2019 Rockcastle Run N Gun 5&10k is a centerfire biathlon – competitors will complete a 5k or 10k run combined with a shooting competition. The event is a test of man and equipment alike. It is intended to give participants an idea of how being hot, cold, exhausted, and challenged by the environment affects their shooting, and to test the effectiveness of their gear under field conditions. This event is not intended for inexperienced shooters – all participants are expected to be familiar with the operation of their firearms, and to observe basic principles of firearm safety at all times. With the exception of emergencies, Range Officers (ROs) are not allowed to help participants in any way. Good attitudes are a must. If you are the type of person who gets upset when minor changes are made to a plan or when you don’t always get your way, this is not the event for you.

Basics:

Participants will receive both a score for their run based on how long it took them to complete the course, and a score for their shooting based on how long it took them to clear each course of fire. The run score and shooting score will be equally weighted in determining the participant’s final score. This is true run-what-you-brung field-style shooting, with only two equipment classes: “Combat Class” in which you must FINISH the course with at least 25% of your bodyweight in gear (simulating a full load-out), or “Race Class” in which anything goes. For the most part, if you want to carry it for 5 or 10 clicks, be our guest. Shooters are expected to have all their firearms sighted in and all their gear ready to go on the morning of the shoot. There will be no zeroing at the event. Think of this as a test of how you and your equipment would perform in a Second Amendment situation if you had to go take care of business at your current state of readiness, whatever that is. Run order will be more or less random. We will try to be accommodating to participants who wish to share firearms or equipment (we can have one person run in the morning and the other in the afternoon), or to those who wish to run together.

Equipment:

The only equipment that is strictly required to participate is a safe center fire rifle, a safe center fire pistol, enough ammo to clear the course (at least twice the minimum required hit count is recommended), eye protection, ear protection, a flashlight, and some form of stopwatch. The rifle must shoot rifle caliber ammo (no 9mm PCC), and the pistol must shoot pistol caliber (no .223 “pistols” for the handgun targets). Everything else is up to the participant. Shooters may use any type of gear they want to carry their equipment with, the only requirement being that pistols must be carried in a secure holster that covers the trigger if they are to be carried loaded. Rifles may be carried any way you like, as long as they remain pointed in a safe direction. You may not use tracers or armor piercing bullets that have a hardened penetrator core, as we will be using lots of steel targets that we don’t want to see damaged. To be safe – if your bullet attracts a magnet or has a green tip, leave it at home.

Rules:

First and foremost, all participants will be expected to comply with basic firearms safety at all times. If you demonstrate inability or unwillingness to follow basic firearm safety, you will be asked to leave, with no refund and no apology. Muzzles must be pointed in a safe direction at all times, and fingers must be off the trigger unless the firearm is pointed at a target. Rifles shall only be loaded when a shooter is at a rifle stage, after the RO has given the “fire” command. Shooters may leave their handguns loaded at all times. However, loaded handguns must remain securely in a holster unless the shooter has been given the “fire” command on a shooting stage. Some stages will be active, involving moving and shooting. Firearms may remain loaded during movement, but strict muzzle discipline must be maintained.

Procedures:

When a shooter approaches a station, he will be required to show a RO an empty mag well and empty chamber on his rifle. If another shooter is currently on the stage when he arrives, the one who just arrived will be instructed by a RO to start his stopwatch to keep track of his wait time (this will be subtracted off the participant’s run time when his run score is calculated). It is purely the shooter’s responsibility to keep track of his wait time. The ROs have no responsibility whatsoever to help you do this. Even if a RO offers to help you keep track of your time, you have no one but yourself to blame if this is not done. When the shooter is ready to shoot the stage, the RO will record his wait time if any. The shooter will be given a quick summary of the course of fire. The RO will ask if the shooter understands the course of fire. If the answer is yes, the shooter will be given the “fire” command, at which time he may load his rifle and/or draw his pistol and begin shooting the stage. All stages will have a zone where the shooter must fire from -- either a particular hole in a barricade that you must shoot through, or a marked zone on the ground, in which every part of your body or equipment which touches the ground must remain inside of when you fire. Hits made from outside the designated area will not count toward completion of the course of fire. Every shooting stage will have a 3 minute time limit. This is to keep the runners moving and to prevent large backups of shooters waiting to shoot a stage. At the end of that 3 minute period, the shooter will be stopped and time penalties applied to their score for any target not fully neutralized as per the course of fire requirements. If for any reason the “cease fire” command is given, you will immediately cease fire, holster your handgun, and unload your rifle. You will do likewise when you complete a stage, or time out. The RO should tell you your time for the stage. The RO will record your time and any penalties. You may want to carry a pen and notepad to keep track of your score in case there is a mix-up with the scoring. Every shooter must show a RO an empty mag well and chamber on his rifle before leaving each stage. A RO will give directions on where to go to continue down the trail. Shooters are NOT required to leave their rifle’s bolt open during the run… this is actually discouraged, as it will allow lots of that beautiful Kentucky red clay to accumulate inside the action. There will be ample opportunity for this to happen on the course.

The Run:

The total course length is 3.2 miles (5k) or 6.2 miles (10k). The path for participants to follow will be marked with brightly colored flags and/or tape. Shooters must stay close to the marked path. Do not cut corners. Failure to follow the marked trail may take you into the impact area of a hot range!!! If the trail takes you through some difficult terrain, this is on purpose! Parts of the trail will be down a county road. Keep to the left edge of the road and watch for traffic.

Your Fitness:

This event is in a remote area, and you need to be aware of over-exertion. We should have some folks with medical skills on hand, but your health is your responsibility. If you start having problems, slow down... drink some water... listen to your body! There is no shame in walking the course; know yourself and your limitations.

Accommodations:

Attendees are highly recommended to stay at the onsite lodge for the full experience. There will be people on site all day Friday, as the ROs will be running the course. Porta-potties will be on site at most shooting locations. Registration opens at 6:30 a.m. and closes at 7:30 a.m Saturday morning. The safety briefing begins at 7:30 a.m. Anyone who does not get signed in by 7:30 will not be allowed to participate, so be on time. The first runner will be sent out at 8:00 a.m., and another runner will be sent out in a uniform interval thereafter. The ROs will have run the course the day before. They will be scored along with all the other contestants. After the last runner has crossed the finish line, we will calculate the results. The winners will be announced, trophies will be given out, and a random drawing will be conducted for all the prizes contributed by the sponsors.

How to Sign Up:

The registration fee for the Rockcastle Run N Gun is $70 for the 5k and $100 for the 10k. Registration will be limited in number so all runners can finish the course before dark. Registration and payment will be handled through Practiscore, and Rockcastle will have you sign waivers the morning of the match. Make sure you are familiar with all of our rules and procedures before signing up. All participants must register under their true names. Tickets are non-transferable. Pre-registration and pre-payment is mandatory, and no walk-ons will be allowed on match day as space and time is limited.

Cancellation Policy:

Full refunds will be given if you withdraw more than 30 days before the match. Half your fee will be refunded if you withdraw between 14-29 days before the match. NO REFUND will be given if you withdraw less than 14 days before the match.

Directions:

The start and finish line are both located at the Park Mammoth Resort Lodge at Rockcastle Shooting Center. The address is 585 Park Mammoth Rd, Park City, KY 42160. This is almost exactly halfway in between the Nashville International Airport (BNA) and the Louisville International Airport (SDF) – about an easy hour and a half drive from either.
Old October 08, 2018, 16:40   #2
kotengu
Registered

For those who have attended the Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun - I think of the March match as the "opposite" of that match. Legion is "real world" and is a benefit for a very deserving group of people.

March is a fun and simple (not "easy"!) skills test in which you can test yourself and your gear. Everything about it will be published well in advance so you can train up to meet the challenge. The prize table will be completely random draw - because you really are just competing against your Self at this match. And other than a small portion to cover my costs, the only benefactor is a very deserving Rockcastle Shooting Center.

So who's in?
Old October 08, 2018, 21:47   #3
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
I’m going to make it a priority, unless OK ruins me. 2017 was a lot of fun.

Im saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whats enough. And for Gods sake, think about who you are. - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2018, 21:51   #4
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuhlmann View Post
Im going to make it a priority, unless OK ruins me. 2017 was a lot of fun.
OK will definitely change you. Maybe "ruin", depending on how you define it.
Old October 08, 2018, 21:57   #5
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

Have a buddy who is coming down to OK with me, gonna be his first (only my second) so I hope its not too so different from Rockcastle that my explanations and little experience will be misleading.

Im saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whats enough. And for Gods sake, think about who you are. - J. Bogle
Old October 09, 2018, 00:09   #6
Lurker66
Registered

FALaholic #: 79967
Quote:
Have a buddy who is coming down to OK with me, gonna be his first (only my second) so I hope its not too so different from Rockcastle that my explanations and little experience will be misleading.
Kentucky has the cave, Pawnee has the road. Dress warm but be prepared for 85 degree days.
Lurker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2018, 05:50   #7
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
The basics are all the same, and the people are all good. Your buddy will have a great time!
Old October 09, 2018, 13:03   #8
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Well, I am a definite maybe. I have to start working on my ability to finish 5K in under a week before I decide. I already know I can't shoot for crap so that isn't an issue.

And I will definitely be in the "Race" class. I am not toting an extra 100 pounds just to say I did it.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2018, 15:58   #9
Louis
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 72519
Ill be sporting the FAL this time around. Just seems right.
Old October 09, 2018, 16:17   #10
TxGunDawg
Registered

FALaholic #: 58435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2018, 19:40   #11
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Well, I am a definite maybe. I have to start working on my ability to finish 5K in under a week before I decide. I already know I can't shoot for crap so that isn't an issue.

And I will definitely be in the "Race" class. I am not toting an extra 100 pounds just to say I did it.
Great! But I'm pretty sure you don't weigh 400lbs naked. I hope I never find out for sure though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
It DOES just seem right!
Old October 10, 2018, 08:49   #12
Bryan 45
Registered

FALaholic #: 17465
Great. Just as the days are getting shorter, you remind me of the ONLY reason I run. (But, I will say, I looked damn good in a bikini this summer.)

Finishing with 25% of body weight in gear strangely sounds easy at this point.
Bryan 45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 09:33   #13
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan 45 View Post
Great. Just as the days are getting shorter, you remind me of the ONLY reason I run. (But, I will say, I looked damn good in a bikini this summer.)

Finishing with 25% of body weight in gear strangely sounds easy at this point.
And here I thought you and Brian never trained, but just showed up and beat us easily every time. Your secret is out now!

Please no bikini pics though...
Old October 10, 2018, 15:18   #14
kotengu
Registered

I am pleased to announce Tactical Tailor has just signed on as an obstacle sponsor. They make some top-notch Made in the USA gear that I think will do VERY well for Run N Gun folks! Take a look at what they have to offer, and if you place an order be sure to thank them for sponsoring the match while you're there.

https://www.tacticaltailor.com/

Old October 10, 2018, 17:43   #15
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
Great! But I'm pretty sure you don't weigh 400lbs naked. I hope I never find out for sure though!
Nope, but IIRC, the rules say you have to FINISH with at least 25% of your body weight. So let's look at the expendables and non expendables:

Start:

Rifle w/ optics 10 pounds
Camelbak 1.5 liter 3 pounds
150 rounds ammo - 7 pounds for 7.62 and 5 pounds for 5.56
magazines (empty and 5 each) - 2 pounds for 7.62 and 1 pounds for 5.56
pistol 3 pounds
pistol mags (empty high cap 5 each)1 pounds
100 rounds pistol ammo (9mm 124gr)2pounds
LBE about 7 pounds to include pouches, holsters, IFAK etc
Protein and energy bars snack etc 1 pound

That comes to 35 pounds starting out. Assume that all ammo, water, and snacks are consumed, then I would end up crossing the finish line 12 pounds lighter or still carrying 23 pounds. So now I have to add 12 pounds to the original loadout to compensate for the change in weight. So my starting weight has to be 48 pounds. Neither of these figures 35 or 48 pounds come close to 25% of my TBW

Luckily, I have reached that point where my yoga regimen is starting to yield weight loss dividends. But I really don't think I'll ever see 192 pounds (4 times 48) again.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.

Last edited by tac-40; October 10, 2018 at 21:30.
Old October 11, 2018, 06:23   #16
Bryan 45
Registered

FALaholic #: 17465
Quote:
And here I thought you and Brian never trained, but just showed up and beat us easily every time. Your secret is out now!
More than I am ever willing to admit....

Quote:
Please no bikini pics though...
Don't worry, Jimmy will be along before too long with that request.
Bryan 45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2018, 14:21   #17
kotengu
Registered

It's time to start trickling out the details -

The obstacle at Stage 1 will be the same as last March: Barbed wire crawl, then mud pits, then climb up one of two tubes. There will be knotted ropes in each tube. And then...

Stage 1: Strong or Accurate?

Begin with a single steel B/C zone torso target 50 yds away. On the buzzer, draw your pistol and make two hits on the target from 50 yds. Pick up a kettlebell and throw it toward the target. You can either safely holster your pistol and throw it two-handed, or keep your pistol pointed in a safe direction while throwing it one-handed. Wherever the kettlebell lands is your next firing position move forward and make two hits on the target from there. Repeat this exercise once more for a total of three firing positions and 6 pistol hits on the steel.

Safely holster your pistol and carry the kettlebell back to the 50 yd line, then perform the X-Drill with your rifle: From behind the barricade, make two hits from the standing position around the right side of the barricade (right shoulder), two hits from kneeling around the left side of the barricade (left shoulder), two hits from kneeling around the right side of the barricade (right shoulder) and two hits from standing around the left side of the barricade (left shoulder).

Old October 22, 2018, 21:06   #18
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

Quote:
...... There will be knotted ropes in each tube. And then...

Rope in both tubes? Why not do UNknotted rope in ONE tube like in 2017???

I shudder to think of how much time & energy I spent on not noticing that little nasty detail...

Old October 22, 2018, 21:49   #19
kotengu
Registered

Quote:

I shudder to think of how much time & energy I spent on not noticing that little nasty detail...
People whined and I felt bad. I'm a sucker.
Old October 22, 2018, 21:55   #20
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

It was an educational character builder. I liked it, and was humbled right out of the gates!

Old October 23, 2018, 04:22   #21
TxGunDawg
Registered

FALaholic #: 58435
Quote:
People whined and I felt bad. I'm a sucker.
Your years as a MD have made you soft.
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2018, 05:51   #22
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGunDawg View Post
Your years as a MD have made you soft.
Yeah. I worry about people's feelings and stuff too. It's terrible!
Old October 23, 2018, 14:44   #23
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Quote:
Wherever the kettlebell lands is your next firing position move forward and make two hits on the target from there. Repeat this exercise once more for a total of three firing positions and 6 pistol hits on the steel.
LOL...hilarious!

Quote:
blah blah blah (right shoulder), blah blah blah (left shoulder), blah blah blah (right shoulder) blah blah blah (left shoulder).
Shoulders are mandatory switches? No rolling/contortions to solve the problem?

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"Its hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2018, 14:46   #24
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post

Shoulders are mandatory switches? No rolling/contortions to solve the problem?
Yep. Just like requiring weak hand pistol. We require weak shoulder rifle. Everyone may not agree, but it's an important skill in my mind.
Old October 23, 2018, 14:48   #25
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Quote:

Only bad if there is a Fat Hobbit stuck in the tube with the rope and you care about your own run time!
Old October 23, 2018, 15:51   #26
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

Hey now.... I wasnt stuck in the tube withe the rope. I was stuck in the one without!

Old October 23, 2018, 17:47   #27
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
...Fat Hobbit...
Wait - did Jimmy just turn into Smeagol? I thought he was Strider? And Kelly was Smeagol because she was in the cave. But she's Eowyn.

I'm so confused...

Old October 23, 2018, 20:52   #28
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Only bad if there is a Fat Hobbit stuck in the tube with the rope and you care about your own run time!
Then you had better make sure you start before me!!!!!

Old October 23, 2018, 20:55   #29
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
It's time to start trickling out the details -

Stage 1: Strong or Accurate?

Begin with a single steel B/C zone torso target 50 yds away. On the buzzer, draw your pistol and make two hits on the target from 50 yds. Pick up a kettlebell and throw it toward the target. You can either safely holster your pistol and throw it two-handed, or keep your pistol pointed in a safe direction while throwing it one-handed. Wherever the kettlebell lands is your next firing position move forward and make two hits on the target from there. Repeat this exercise once more for a total of three firing positions and 6 pistol hits on the steel.

Guess I had better start practicing my 50, 49, and 48 yard pistol shooting.

Old October 24, 2018, 08:22   #30
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
You can either safely holster your pistol and throw it two-handed,
If we holster, can we throw it like a proper 'weight for distance' toss?

https://youtu.be/Jw3gMaXn8OU?t=85

Well...without all the cheaty forward spinning.

Old October 24, 2018, 11:37   #31
ElTigre
Registered

FALaholic #: 79507
Quote:
Wait - did Jimmy just turn into Smeagol? I thought he was Strider? And Kelly was Smeagol because she was in the cave. But she's Eowyn.

I'm so confused...

I'm the fat Hobbit man. Don't be confused. Lol.
ElTigre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2018, 13:57   #32
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
If we holster, can we throw it like a proper 'weight for distance' toss?

https://youtu.be/Jw3gMaXn8OU?t=85

Well...without all the cheaty forward spinning.
Absolutely. There will be a forward fault line (7 yds?) so people won't get spall of the steel, but other than that go for it! Only way RO would get involved is if you shank it so far off to the side your shooting angle is unsafe. Other than that, you shoot where it lands.
Old October 24, 2018, 13:59   #33
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTigre View Post
I'm the fat Hobbit man. Don't be confused. Lol.
But only Smeagol would call Sam "fat hobbit". Strider was always pretty nice to good old Sam. So clearly Jimmy can not be Strider!

The CLEARLY the poison cannot be in the goblet closest to me. Inconceivable!
Old October 24, 2018, 14:11   #34
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
But only Smeagol would call Sam "fat hobbit". Strider was always pretty nice to good old Sam. So clearly Jimmy can not be Strider!

The CLEARLY the poison cannot be in the goblet closest to me. Inconceivable!
The son of Arathorn needed not speak any words to express his opinions of the portly Halfling whilst they made the journey.

Old October 25, 2018, 07:48   #35
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Other than that, you shoot where it lands.
...or stops?

(I really shouldn't be doing this as you will only get back at me eventually)

...and I thought Jeff was Strider?

Old October 25, 2018, 09:06   #36
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Agreed! Height, speed, and charisma says the blood of Nmenor!

...I probably relate more to the Statist Thug Boromir, maybe a Rhohirrim Master Sergeant (equivalent), or could say that life at times classified me as the Nazgl.
Old October 25, 2018, 09:13   #37
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Agreed! Height, speed, and charisma says the blood of Nmenor!

...I probably relate more to the Statist Thug Boromir, maybe a Rhohirrim Master Sergeant (equivalent), or could say that life at times classified me as the Nazgl.
That means Jeff and I are related, since Aragorn is the great-grandchild of Elrond's brother.

Statist thug...LOL...

Old October 25, 2018, 17:20   #38
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
...or stops?

(I really shouldn't be doing this as you will only get back at me eventually)

Yes - where it stops is what I intended. Thanks for clarifying my language.

And I thought Jeff was Galahad? He's the one that tossed the dwarf, right?
Old October 25, 2018, 17:42   #39
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Hahahaha! It's funny how we see ourselves and how others see us is not usually the same.
Old October 25, 2018, 17:58   #40
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
...And I thought Jeff was Galahad? He's the one that tossed the dwarf, right?
Aragorn (tossed Gimli) is Strider!

Do I need to loan you the books and the movies Halfling?
Old October 25, 2018, 18:08   #41
kotengu
Registered

Quote:

I'm just tweaking your nipples.

Jeff is definitely Galahad - the purest and most gallant among us. We were Stimpy's Knights long before there was a Fellowship. If I recall, he became Legolas when he outshot all of us in Oklahoma. If he kneels he's about elf height.

Last edited by kotengu; October 25, 2018 at 18:13.
kotengu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2018, 18:19   #42
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
...Jeff is definitely Galahad - the purest and most gallant among us. We were Stimpy's Knights long before there was a Fellowship...
He will save us from great Peril...
Old October 25, 2018, 18:28   #43
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
I read The Hobbit as a ten year old. I've never read the trilogy [hides in shame...]. I've never seen the movies, either.

I'm going to watch the movies this fall (Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays) during the (beginning of the...) rainy season.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalins thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2018, 18:30   #44
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
No matter how pure Galahad was, I can't help but think of the end of the Castle Anthrax scene in Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail...

"Can't I have just a little bit of peril?"
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalins thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2018, 19:12   #45
ElTigre
Registered

FALaholic #: 79507
Quote:
Hahahaha! It's funny how we see ourselves and how others see us is not usually the same.
Indeed. I'm actually flattered to be Sam, I always figured I'd get Peregrine or Merry. A bumbling pair who accomplished their goals through luck more than skill as opposed to Sam, who while portly is intensely brave and actually quite skilled by the end of the book.
ElTigre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2018, 21:31   #46
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
"Can't I have just a little bit of peril?"
You are only a man, after all. We all have our weaknesses.
Old October 28, 2018, 16:35   #47
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
I read The Hobbit as a ten year old. I've never read the trilogy [hides in shame...]. I've never seen the movies, either.

I'm going to watch the movies this fall (Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays) during the (beginning of the...) rainy season.
I never read the books. I was too busy reading Clarke, Heinlien, Bradbury, Huxley, Orwell, Anderson, and others. Lovecraft was a bit weird so really didn't get into him. Herbert and the Dune series and finally the Hitchhikers's Guide series were read as a young adult. Didn't get into the whole elves, dwarves, orc thing until I was introduced to D&D while riding submarines (lots of free time). Making sense of this portion of the thread because I saw several of the movies (lots of actions and plot twists).

Old October 29, 2018, 15:29   #48
kotengu
Registered

I'm going to jump around a little as some stages are still in development. This one is the epitome of a "simple skills test":

Stage 4 (10k Only): Dueling Tree
Make 6 hits on a deuling tree with your strong hand only, then make 6 hits with your weak hand only. If a target is hit and flips back that counts as a hit. If a target gets stuck halfway (and is unavailable to shoot again) that counts as a hit - just shoot another plate so there are 6 hits total with each single hand. Dueling tree will be placed from 7-10yds away as the terrain allows.

Old October 30, 2018, 09:20   #49
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:

There is no Dwarf-tossing, beard-grabbing, or shield boarding in the books.

Last edited by stimpsonjcat; October 30, 2018 at 09:33.
Old October 30, 2018, 09:30   #50
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTigre View Post
Indeed. I'm actually flattered to be Sam, I always figured I'd get Peregrine or Merry. A bumbling pair who accomplished their goals through luck more than skill as opposed to Sam, who while portly is intensely brave and actually quite skilled by the end of the book.
Uhhh...Merry attacked a Ring-Wraith, no THE BOSS Ring-Wraith, with a DAGGER! Gotta at least be on par with Sam/Shelob/Cirith Ungol.

Pippin admittedly doesn't do a lot of alpha stuff, but he gets a bad wrap like a lot of other characters. (i.e. he intentionally drops a rock down the well in Moria due to curiosity, rather than accidentally doing it. Still dumb, but not bumbling) It's a shame most folks only know the movies.

Last edited by stimpsonjcat; October 30, 2018 at 09:36.