The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Marketplace

Notices

Old July 20, 2004, 17:54   #1
Jen
Administrator

FALaholic #: 105
Marketplace & Advertising Rules - Updated 07/30/2005

These changes will eliminate the now more or less unenforceable rules concerning commercial use of the marketplace. These new rules should not affect most members except those who are in fact Dealers on this forum. The intent of these changes is to add priviledges for those who wish to become dealers / advertisers without restricting users who don't fall into either of these categories and also to make the rules easier to enforce.

This rules change has been long in coming and something I have debated for some time. I have decided that it is time to separate Contributor accounts and Dealer Accounts. The standard rules of the marketplace are not being changed, the 3 Threads per day rule still applies to all members and I am also going to start more heavily enforcing the No-Trolling rules.

All Members / Non-Dealers:
Post a Price. This is not an auction site so please post your asking price for the items you wish to sell. [update]There is now an Auction subforum in Marketplace. Please post your Auctions there.

No more than 3 new or BTT'd advertisements per day This applies to ALL members regardless of advertiser or contributor status and this is a combined total for all Marketplace sections. It is highly suggested that members combine their items for sale into a single thread rather than posting multiple threads for individual items. This rule applies to BTT'ing your ad with updates on what has sold. If an item has sold please edit your original post. Multiple BTT's in one day to 'bump' your add will not be allowed. Failure to follow this rule may result in one or all of your ads being removed.

No Trolling. If someone posts something and you think the price is too high, then don't buy it or make a counter offer. No flaming in the marketplace. If you have a problem or issue with someone you need to either post it in reviews (as a review) and/or leave the user feedback if dealing with a marketplace transaction (go to the users profile). Trolling will not be tolerated.

No Advertising in Signatures (Includes company name, logos, or contact information including manually adding company links, urls or information in posts).

No links to Commercial websites (includes linking products within marketplace to your commercial website and adding your commercial website link as your homepage in your profile).

No Company Logo's or Advertising in user Avatars or Custom User Titles (Regardless of contributor status).

No company names, urls, or similar 'branding' in usernames

Dealers:
$450 / year ($50 / month paid quarterly)
Ability to post your companies products or services for sale on the forums
Bolded Username in Marketplace Ads
Company contact information allowed in signature
Company Logo allowed in Avatar
Company Name allowed in board username (One user account allowed)
Linking to products on commercial websites allowed
Custom User Title & Listing as Vendor
Company Information listed on Vendors List

Advertising Dealers:
$100 / month (Discounts for semi and annual accounts), additional banners $75 / month)
Banner in banner rotation
Highlighted posts in Marketplace Ads
Company Name allowed in board username (One company rep per banner)
** Vendor Forums are an addition $25 / month per year with the exception of Site Sponsors who receive one Forum.

More details on the different levels of Dealers and Advertising can be found at http://www.falfiles.com/forums/advertising.php.

Who is a Dealer? A Dealer is any party engaged in the selling of products or services for commercial gain. This includes anyone manufacturing or buying product to resell for profit, anyone selling commercial services and anyone selling products for a third party (sales reps - salaried or commissioned).

If I'm a Dealer how do these rules affect me? If you are a Dealer then you will need to sign up for a dealer membership in order to sell your products. Dealers who do not do this may have their posts locked or removed and their accounts may be frozen.

You don't know me, son. So let me explain this to you once: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2004, 19:44   #2
qbeanie
Registered

FALaholic #: 9362
That seems like a very fair policy.
qbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2004, 20:02   #3
Pistolwiz
Registered

FALaholic #: 4378
E-mail sent on Vendor upgrade

"People will chew and swallow an entire sweet and delicious brick of lies. And enjoy it. Rather than taste one bitter grain of truth. No wonder they are hoodwinked so easily."

"I don't run with lemmings...even well armed ones."

"If we had as many misconceptions about the FN FAL as we do about the constitution. The body count from accidents would be much, much higher around here."
Pistolwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2004, 00:00   #4
Jen
Administrator

Pistolwiz: received and replied!

You don't know me, son. So let me explain this to you once: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
Old July 21, 2004, 00:25   #5
Pistolwiz
Registered

Thank you Jen! I'm........Impressed! That was quick!

"People will chew and swallow an entire sweet and delicious brick of lies. And enjoy it. Rather than taste one bitter grain of truth. No wonder they are hoodwinked so easily."

"If we had as many misconceptions about the FN FAL as we do about the constitution. The body count from accidents would be much, much higher around here."
Old July 21, 2004, 10:34   #6
dougjones31
Registered

FALaholic #: 6967
I just do not think that it is fair!!!

The state of the world today...that is. The new Marketplace changes are fine.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future." --Adolf Hitler, 1935
dougjones31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2004, 12:57   #7
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Email sent Jen.
kfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2004, 13:52   #8
Jen
Administrator

Received and replied!

Old July 21, 2004, 17:30   #9
cadillac
Registered

FALaholic #: 3235
It looks to me like you've made the right move.

By the way, what is "swmbo"???

cadillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2004, 17:43   #10
Jen
Administrator

SWMBO - She Who Must Be Obeyed. Check the post count thread in GD for it's origin. They made it up, not I. The title does, however, go rather nicely with my new avatar

Old July 21, 2004, 18:45   #11
Pistolwiz
Registered

I like it myself. I can get the exposure of a vendor for a much better price than a full blown advertiser. I say ......Thanks Jen!

SWMBO---- RAMBO with a clam..........

Old July 21, 2004, 20:42   #12
cadillac
Registered

FALaholic #: 3235
Quote:
Originally posted by Jen
SWMBO... ...The title does, however, go rather nicely with my new avatar
No shit!

cadillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2004, 00:33   #13
bigant
Registered

FALaholic #: 11598
Jen,

Incoming email

Mi Papa` 1943-2008
bigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2004, 11:16   #14
Jen
Administrator

bigant - Received and Response Incoming!

Old July 22, 2004, 19:20   #15
Michael Bush
Registered

FALaholic #: 5641
Jen,

Do you realize that your price of $450 a year will price many small vendors right off the boards? I know this has been hashed out a million times but to justify spending $450 I have to at least MAKE $450 in profit to break even a dealer making 30% would have to sell $1,500 worth of stuff here just to pay for an ad, let alone actually make anything!

I for one can't justify that kind spending that kind of money.

Also, it seems to me that that rate subsidizes the large vendors who get massive banners, their own forums for a nominal fee, etc and they only pay $50 a month more.
208 25th Street
Sacramento, CA 95816

"Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear - kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor - with the cry of grave national emergency. Always there has been some terrible evil at home or some monstrous foreign power that was going to gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it."
~ General Douglas Macarthur, 1957
Michael Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2004, 20:21   #16
Jen
Administrator

Michael: The new rules aren't there to price the small vendors right off the boards. There is NO restriction saying you can post items, or services, for sale in the marketplace. The restrictions are only if you are in fact 'advertising'. Signatures are my biggest issue because they aren't only seen in the marketplace, but everywhere you post on this board. The whole purpose behind the rules as they are is simply to limit the advertising, but not to keep anyone from doing business simply because they can't afford to become a vendor.

Old July 24, 2004, 00:50   #17
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
Jen:
Recently a member posted a WTB thread in marketplce. I responded by posting a link to a page on the DSA website that listed the desired item. Under the new rules, would it be a violation to post such a link?
Old July 24, 2004, 11:28   #18
Jen
Administrator

HBR: No. However something like someone posting a "Hey check out the specials on my webpage.. " would be. Anyone can still post an image from their website or what not to show the product that they are advertising here.

Advertising in signatures applies to just that, advertising in signatures and manually adding references / company info / url to every post made on the board. If you want to add your contact info in a marketplace post that is acceptable, but anything that leaves marketplace is what is being restricted. You have a product for sale, you can post your ref/company info within your post, but NOT within your signature.

Old July 24, 2004, 18:16   #19
wolfsburgbob
2 down, ... and 1 to go!

FALaholic #: 10737
Jen,

Very well designed and very fair to all members and vendors involved.

Bob
wolfsburgbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2004, 18:10   #20
darkknight9
Registered

FALaholic #: 7459
Quote:
However something like someone posting a "Hey check out the specials on my webpage.. " would be.

Then I submit the following for your perusal:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=115393

-dk9

...in a divorce, it is easier to leave mad than to say, 'I just can make more money doing something else.'
-DABTL
darkknight9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2004, 18:30   #21
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
How will this apply to TAPCO? I see Bill is skulking around again.
Old July 27, 2004, 19:59   #22
wolfsburgbob
2 down, ... and 1 to go!

FALaholic #: 10737
Quote:
Originally posted by darkknight9

Then I submit the following for your perusal:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=115393

-dk9

I think your "radar screen" will see more of the same untill 08/01.

Bob

Last edited by wolfsburgbob; July 27, 2004 at 21:00.
wolfsburgbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2004, 20:28   #23
darkknight9
Registered

FALaholic #: 7459
Quote:
Originally posted by wolfsburgbob

I think your "radar screen" will see more of thr same untill 08/01.

Bob

I believe I heard it in a Mel Brooks movie:

"When will then be now?"

...in a divorce, it is easier to leave mad than to say, 'I just can make more money doing something else.'
-DABTL
darkknight9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 05, 2004, 17:39   #24
Doubleought
Registered

FALaholic #: 815
Jen,

Got your PM. I'm not sure, as to whom I was being unfair, but I have deleted all advertising, URL and contact info from my signature, per the new rules. That pretty much takes care of me.
Doubleought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2004, 06:41   #25
gsmart
Registered

FALaholic #: 904
Jen - I have also noticed that there are both members who "front" for vendors (i.e. posts that say "check this out" and point to a website, usually to the same vendors website every time) AND Vendors who pretend to be members, example:

Post on the Marketplace
gsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2004, 19:20   #26
masman
Registered

FALaholic #: 781
Re: Marketplace & Advertising Rules - Effective 08/01/2004

Quote:
Originally posted by Jen

All Members / Non-Vendors:
No more than 3 new or BTT'd advertisements per day and applies to ALL members regardless of advertiser or contributor status. It is highly suggested that members combine their items for sale into a single thread rather than posting multiple threads for individual items. This rule applies to BTT'ing your ad with updates on what has sold. If an item has sold please edit your original post. Multiple BTT's in one day to 'bump' your add will not be allowed.

[/B]
jen i think you need to remind the masses of this rule.seems theres a rulebreaker in our midst.
Old June 16, 2005, 19:36   #27
gunsmith_tony
Registered

FALaholic #: 6564
Quote:
Originally posted by Jen
HBR: No. However something like someone posting a "Hey check out the specials on my webpage.. " would be. Anyone can still post an image from their website or what not to show the product that they are advertising here.

Advertising in signatures applies to just that, advertising in signatures and manually adding references / company info / url to every post made on the board. If you want to add your contact info in a marketplace post that is acceptable, but anything that leaves marketplace is what is being restricted. You have a product for sale, you can post your ref/company info within your post, but NOT within your signature.
Jen, do these rules apply to non-Marketplace posts as well?
gunsmith_tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2005, 11:44   #28
Jen
Administrator

Updated 07/30/2005

Old July 29, 2005, 20:15   #29
masman
Registered

FALaholic #: 781
Quote:
Originally posted by Jen
Updated 07/30/2005
what changed?
Old November 30, 2005, 16:00   #30
Lostinthewoods
Registered

FALaholic #: 10524
Quote:
All Members / Non-Dealers:
Post a Price. This is not an auction site so please post your asking price for the items you wish to sell. [update]There is now an Auction subforum in Marketplace. Please post your Auctions there.
Jen please make it a requirement to post what types of payment are accepted by a seller. I hate getting email replies saying "Sorry I don't take Paypal or YowCow so I sold the item to someone else." If you don't specify the type of "cash" payment accepted than you should be prepared to accept them all. If you don't specify and you get and email/post saying "I'll take it. What address do you want the paypal to go to?" I feel you are obligated to accept it.

Sorry for the rant....

Flame suit on... Fire away all.
Lostinthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2006, 19:22   #31
JC Refuge
Registered

FALaholic #: 19080
Will someone please respond regarding getting an advertising account set up?

I've submitted emails to the webmaster and advertising email addresses the last few days but have not gotten a response. Would like very much to do a one-month trial account starting right away before committing to a longer period.

Thanks.
Old April 24, 2006, 11:22   #32
GreenMtnTac
Registered

FALaholic #: 19859
Hello,

Who does one contact about the purchase of an Advertiser Account?

Thanks.
GreenMtnTac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2006, 15:46   #33
GreenMtnTac
Registered

FALaholic #: 19859
Red Leader, Red Leader, I say again, who does one contact about the purchase of an Advertiser Account? Over.
GreenMtnTac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2007, 22:43   #34
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
There's been some questions, and some fights, over the years about sales, so let me post this to clear things up. Maybe we might want to make this a separate sticky?

When you sell something, keep in mind that there are international agreements that govern who is responsible if something happens along the way. The standards we would normally use are:

EX-WORKS or FOB:

Buyer pays shipping.

Seller's responsibility ends the moment the package is sent (in other words, given to the post office or FedEx).

This isn't usually used on the FILES, as the seller adds shipping and expects payment prior to shipment. However, the ads infer Ex-Works (FS: L2a1 $500) and subsequent discussions for payment then add in the shipping costs. This could turn into a problem, since it was advertised as Ex-Works, and sold as such, but if it gets lost, there could be issues.

Cost Freight (CF)

Seller pays for shipping.

This is the most common way things are sold (example: L2A1 $500 +shipping).

While the seller is paying directly for the shipping (even though you may have paid him for it), his responsibility ends when he gives it up to USPS or FedEx. So if it's lost or damaged, it's the buyer's problem.

I would reccommend this for most transactions, minus receivers and expensive items.

Cost, Insurance, Freight (CIF)

Seller pays for shipping and insurance.

More important, shipper retains ownership (and responsibility) until delivered.

If it's lost or damaged in transit, the shipper has to refund/cover the payment.

If you advertise as "delivered" then it's CIF. Most people think "delivered" means "I'll pay shipping" but really it means the seller is responsible to ensure delivery.

For small stuff that is readily replaceable, FOB is fine, since most suppliers will replace it (though they don't have to). For big stuff, expensive stuff, you should request CIF. That way, if it's lost you should get your money back and you don't have to deal with the shipping and BATF hassles.
They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear like Shiloh and Valley Forge. --- Michener, Tales of the South Pacific

Tempus Edax Rerum
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2007, 00:41   #35
manny1
Registered

FALaholic #: 16095
Quote:
No more than 3 new or BTT'd advertisements per day
U might want to think about a max of 3 BTT's per week, as this place is getting to look like a BTT train-wreck IMO, including all the "General Discussion" & "WTK" ads in a WTS forum with no one buying anything, just chatting about stuff that just takes up valuable WTS space.

I'm mostly a buyer (sell very few items) & really hate surfing thur 3 + pages, just to find a ad I just saw hours earlier the same day that was on page one got bumped by all the BS posts to page 3, 4 or 5 on the same day in just a few hours.......
#1 bullet donor, just ask for details!
manny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2007, 11:28   #36
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I understand the 3 WTS ads per day.

I understand that a WTB is not an "ad" for purpose of 3 ads per day.

What about a WTT?

Does my "WTT Fal kit for AK kit" take one of my 3 WTB ads?
Old May 01, 2007, 21:31   #37
tracyballard
Registered

FALaholic #: 22431
Quote:
No links to Commercial websites (includes linking products within marketplace to your commercial website and adding your commercial website link as your homepage in your profile).

does this mean it's a no-no to post a link to a gunbroker auction listing in the auction sub-forum?

tracyballard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2007, 21:13   #38
72shorty
Registered

FALaholic #: 17911
Jen,

Am interested in this package...

Dealer:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$450 / year ($50 / month paid quarterly)
Bolded Username in Marketplace Ads
Company Name allowed in board username (One user account allowed)

I emailed you on Aug 30, Sept 10 and again today. Where do I send the check for $450??

Thank you.
Old October 08, 2007, 21:24   #39
Goderator
SILENCE! I Kiiiiil You!

FALaholic #: 1
The FAL Files
P.O. Box 58553
Webster, TX 77598-8553

Be sure to include your board username so I can properly update you.
Old October 09, 2007, 14:46   #40
72shorty
Registered

Goderator,

Check and letter are in the US Mail headed your way.

Thank you.
Old November 11, 2007, 23:33   #41
72shorty
Registered

Goderator,

I sent the check 1 month ago to become an advertiser; it has not been cashed or returned to me. Can you please advise if you received it?

Thank you.
Old December 23, 2007, 14:18   #42
Pete Marinari
Registered

FALaholic #: 32302
Am I doing something out of line?

Hello Jen,
I am a rather new member of the Files. I have not yet contributed, but I sent an E-mail to the contact people asking what listing as a 'vendor' would constitute and what it would cost. I have a handle on that now. My question is...Am I doing something wrong by having my signature the way it is now? I have listed my shop name and address but I have not advertised anything for sale. I have purchased items and answered someone's WTB ad. Please let me know if my signature is improper.
Thank you,
Pete
Pete Marinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2008, 16:32   #43
FELIX
Registered

FALaholic #: 103
Selling of my Canadian parts collection

Jen -

I will be selling my collection of Canadian parts, pieces and C1A1 clone kits in the very near future. I will be selling these items at their current market value. Am I to be considered a collector selling his collection? or a dealer selling parts and pieces?

Secondly, I can't believe the Non-FAL items on the Marketplace area; sure is different from the "old days". Have you, and/or the moderators, considered separting the FAL and Non-FAL item into two separte Marketplace areas. I know there is a lot of Non-FAL items being offered, but I came to the FAL board for FAL items. If I want to look for AK47, or AR15 items, I can look on their respective web sites; "I'm not judging, I'm just saying". Thanks

Paul U. / Felix - #103
FELIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2008, 16:14   #44
Turbozag

FALaholic #: 25610
New Dealer Please :-)

HI,

I'm ready to send in payment for a Advertising Dealer account.

Can you please email me the address ...

EDIT, Nevermind! Just saw it.

Inbound from Centerfire Systems Inc. I know they were here before. But I promise I will do much better. I have been here for a while. I recently joined CSI.

I'll have a check sent to you tomorrow for a advertising dealer account.

Thanks Jen.

Lee
turbo99@alltel.net
Old April 03, 2009, 10:38   #45
MK ULTRA
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2382
JEN

When a seller posts something for sale how is it determined who gets it??

Example:

1.) You may have one buyer that posts "I'LL TAKE IT" first, time wise.

2.) Another buyer sends a PM, sent later time wise, that the seller reads first. So who gets the item?

I think it should go to the buyer that posted "I'LL TAKE IT" first time wise on the ad. If the seller wants a PM or an email he should state that in his post. Other wise the first buyer to say "I'LL TAKE IT" should get it.

I think this should be listed here so it won't be an issue.

I could find this nowhere at the top in the bullet points.

thank you

Jim

MK ULTRA.....OUT.....

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Statesman and Inventor: 1759

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.....

Last edited by MK ULTRA; April 06, 2009 at 16:49.
MK ULTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2009, 13:03   #46
Randyqnq
Registered

FALaholic #: 10494
Thanks Jen And Sorry!

Jen I hope that my Aussie Ammo sale posting might have been posted wrong and forced this on you but I'm glad it's posted this way now. Thank you for all your hard work, I'll Have to get back to you on the other matter my time is up for today
Thanks
Randy
In our own native land, in defence of the freedom that is our birthright, and which we ever enjoyed till the late violation of it -- for the protection of our property, acquired solely by the honest industry of our fore-fathers and ourselves, against violence actually offered, we have taken up arms. We shall lay them down when hostilities shall cease on the part of the aggressors, and all danger of their being renewed shall be removed, and not before.
Randyqnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2010, 01:32   #47
IVAN SAMPLE
Registered

FALaholic #: 23103
JEN-

CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS. ITS BEEN ABOUT SEVEN YEARS SINCE I BEEN ON THIS SITE. I HAVE TWO BOXES OF TEN TWENTY ROUNDS MAGS FOR SALE. THEY ARE STILL IN THE WRAPPER ALONG WITH SOME AMMO FOR SALE. HOW DO I GO ABOUT SELLING THEM TO MEMBERS WHO NEED THEM.
IVAN SAMPLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2010, 01:52   #48
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Quote:
Originally posted by IVAN SAMPLE
JEN-

CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS. ITS BEEN ABOUT SEVEN YEARS SINCE I BEEN ON THIS SITE. I HAVE TWO BOXES OF TEN TWENTY ROUNDS MAGS FOR SALE. THEY ARE STILL IN THE WRAPPER ALONG WITH SOME AMMO FOR SALE. HOW DO I GO ABOUT SELLING THEM TO MEMBERS WHO NEED THEM.
Just list them for sale in the Marketplace forum.

Simple as that.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2010, 00:33   #49
IVAN SAMPLE
Registered

FALaholic #: 23103
THANK-YOU I WILL DO THAT!
Old June 04, 2013, 10:00   #50
heddonpal

FALaholic #: 7853
Contact

Who do I contact for an up grade for a dealers account.

thanks

derek
heddonpal is offline   Reply With Quote