The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old May 15, 2018, 12:56   #1
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
gunbroker finally adds a 2% listing fee for reserve auctions.

saw a comment about this on another board, and found that it's true. see the fees rules page in link below:
https://www.gunbroker.com/c/user/fees/

hopefully this reduces the amount of over-retail priced junk on auto-relist clogging up the search results.

of all of the auctions i have sold on gunbroker all but one were with penny start, and i almost always did well. the only non penny-start i can remember was that uber-rare minty condition 7X57 commission rifle from the 1907 speculation batch made for arab states sale at Haenel and imported by bannermans in 1914.

raise a glass with me, brothers, and send a thank you note to Kennesaw.:

https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-...ct-Information
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 13:42   #2
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Why don't these asswipes fix their search function so it has the option of searching only auction titles like it used to? Its maddening looking for a spring or pin for certain gun and having to sift through pages of bullshit.
Old May 15, 2018, 13:56   #3
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
Why don't these asswipes fix their search function so it has the option of searching only auction titles like it used to? Its maddening looking for a spring or pin for certain gun and having to sift through pages of bullshit.
This. It is very frustrating to look thru 27 pages of non relevant items.
gentlemanjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018, 20:05   #4
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
Because they don't care. I gave up protesting because they just don't care.
Old May 16, 2018, 02:06   #5
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Fcuk Gunjoker. Only time I have ever been ripped off was on their site. Bitch out of Cookeville TN was advertising good prices on Leupold scopes and had some decent feed back. She was running one day auctions and nailed a fair few folks. Gunbroker did NOTHING. Zip, nada, fcuk all to help the group that was taken.

Neither did the Postal Inspectors, Cookeville PD or anyone else but Gunbroker was the one who advertised buying in safety. That was over a decade ago and I use them as little as possible.

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 05:54   #6
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
Search function sucks..... probably on purpose so they can sell you an upgrade later. They can add whatever percentage they want to whatever percentage of whatever they whatever. I stopped selling there.....they aren't what they used to be.

Remember when you could have 1000 items per page on a search return....? Searching for FAL parts was fun then.

Last edited by nwobhm; May 16, 2018 at 05:59.
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 06:03   #7
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Even with all its negatives, I'm glad we have sites like GB at this point in our history.
Soon enough, they will be things of the past and those coming up won't even understand what's been lost.

Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 07:09   #8
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gman View Post
Fcuk Gunjoker. Only time I have ever been ripped off was on their site. Bitch out of Cookeville TN was advertising good prices on Leupold scopes and had some decent feed back. She was running one day auctions and nailed a fair few folks. Gunbroker did NOTHING. Zip, nada, fcuk all to help the group that was taken.

Neither did the Postal Inspectors, Cookeville PD or anyone else but Gunbroker was the one who advertised buying in safety. That was over a decade ago and I use them as little as possible.
did you try flashing your badge ?

seriously though when the PD and County Sheriff fails you do the County Atty thing. Sometimes they come through when the other two fail
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 07:25   #9
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

The radical change in search functionality was to institute broader marketing of listings.
sort of like the asshats who list a Nagant and place "Not AR, FAL, HK" in the title to suck in more potential hits on their auction.

The new search function seriously annoys me
pretty much quit using the Joker for certain parts searches
I'm certain it was the work of some techie online mechandizing Wizard who only shops Amazon and has no clue of the gun buyer base customer

I see the same shit happening at the local Grocery store
recently they paid some marketing firm over 50K to do a re do on merchandise
Well even after 4 months nobody can find anything, they scattered common things store wide so we have to hunt for them.
idea is that exposes consumers to other products they will purchase upon impulse
Old May 16, 2018, 11:55   #10
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
I use the advanced search and just the check the "no reserve" option. Then I only see auctions that do not have a reserve in my search results. I recently bought a Tavor off Gunbroker that way and it went pretty smooth. No telling how many reserve auctions I never even saw that may have been a good deal; I don't really care. I did not have the time to sift through all of the BS reserve auctions. I know that with no reserve auctions the high bidder wins the auction. Period.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 12:10   #11
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
What pisses me off are those who list "not (search word)" or "Not (insert word here)" causing you to see unwanted search items. I pretty much stopped looking at GB these days because of this.
Old May 16, 2018, 14:31   #12
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
did you try flashing your badge ?

seriously though when the PD and County Sheriff fails you do the County Atty thing. Sometimes they come through when the other two fail
Was long before I was a cop. We had a Yahoo group and ALL avenues were tried to nail this bitch. Nothing worked, not the local DA, FBI, no-one wanted to do their fukcing job. I lived too far to go throat punch the bitch or I would have done.

So when I was a detective and had people ripped off by out of state assholes, I did my best to help them. Got an arrest warrant for a DB out of OH after he ripped off a local family on a race engine. Called local coppers and they went and arrested him. A friendly Judge let him out instead of holding him for extradition to NM but my victims had a certified check for the full amount he had ripped them off for within 2 days so justice was served...

Jonathon Arthur Ciener ran into a similarly determined copper and had to change his shitty business practices or face the slammer. Now the prick no longer accepts orders for stuff he doesn't have in stock and ships items promptly. Amazing what a trip to the gray bar hotel can do for people's attitudes...

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018, 15:29   #13
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I am a big Gunbroker seller. These latest changes were spelled out in an e-mail from them to explain how they are listening to "the buyer". While that is fine, you need sellers to allow buyers get what they want. They are now also charging commission on the total amount of the sale including shipping to foil the old ebay trick of selling an item for $1 and charging $400 S&H. They have also strong-armed us towards using check-out and accepting credit cards which I have resisted. But now they are offering reduced rates to sellers who use check-out and who rate in the Top Seller ranks. Funny thing is that they don't include the shipping with the 3% CC upcharge. I am also annoyed at the fact that I have 3 open support issues, one of which has been open for 28 days. They were usually pretty good at getting back you in about 4-5 days. So , while I am somewhat annoyed, accepting CC's seems to have helped me with the impulse buyers who like to press the "Buy it Now" on some of my crazy Buy it Now prices .

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018, 08:23   #14
justashooter
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Funk View Post
I am a big Gunbroker seller.
karl, you are a big guy, in general.

keep making coin by providing a useful service, but you already realise that some sellers abuse the reserve option in a way that abuses the time and effort of the consumer base. every occupation has it's costs and risks. the bigger the risk the bigger the reward. you know that. see you at the shoot.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
Old May 17, 2018, 09:31   #15
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
How do you close a GB account? I cannot find anything on their site.

Kinda like A-O-hell, called them repeatedly to cancel, next month got charged again. Was my wife's account, I never used it.

I fixed them by creating a one time use CC #, updating my info, and then cancelling the number. Then I charged back 3 months of fees.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018, 11:13   #16
justashooter
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
How do you close a GB account? I cannot find anything on their site.

Kinda like A-O-hell, called them repeatedly to cancel, next month got charged again. Was my wife's account, I never used it.

I fixed them by creating a one time use CC #, updating my info, and then cancelling the number. Then I charged back 3 months of fees.
there is no monthly account fee for gunbroker. if you are getting charge for anything other than listed items sold, and now reserve items listed, something is wrong.

https://www.gunbroker.com/c/user/fees/

Old May 17, 2018, 13:02   #17
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Funk View Post
I have 3 open support issues, one of which has been open for 28 days. They were usually pretty good at getting back you in about 4-5 days.
I'm at 45 days or so on three non-paying buyers, request for refund of fees.

Overall, it's adequate. But I wouldn't want it to be my only outlet.

Really amazed at the stupidity of some people. I expect people to be stupid, so I spell everything out.

But geez - unless specifically stated, usually in bold or red

- the item I'm selling is the item in the picture & the listing.
- Everything in the picture & listing is what I'm selling.
- Nothing not in the picture or the listing is included.
- Payment is by the terms in the listing.
- No payment options not in the listing are accepted.
- Shipping is in the listing.

99% of the inquiries I get are already spelled out in the listing. And yes, you must send me the payment before I send you the item. Duh!

At least now that I'm putting my website in the listing, I'm getting some cross-traffic. Most of the items I am selling are on my website for less (I incorporate GB fees into the GB price), and there are more payment options on my website.

But I still get checks every week with no note, no GB listing number, a name I don't recognize, and I'm supposed to magically know what it's for.

Last edited by gunplumber; May 17, 2018 at 13:10.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018, 15:00   #18
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
there is no monthly account fee for gunbroker. if you are getting charge for anything other than listed items sold, and now reserve items listed, something is wrong.
I just want to dump them, period. They spam my inbox daily with crap not remotely linked to my original search criteria, and I'm done selling there.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018, 07:36   #19
justashooter
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
I just want to dump them, period. They spam my inbox daily with crap not remotely linked to my original search criteria, and I'm done selling there.
you must have some preference setting to be getting notifications. the only notifications i get are of items closing "time for one more bid"" if i have bid and am not the high bidder near end of sale.

Old May 18, 2018, 08:59   #20
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gman View Post
Was long before I was a cop. We had a Yahoo group and ALL avenues were tried to nail this bitch. Nothing worked, not the local DA, FBI, no-one wanted to do their fukcing job. I lived too far to go throat punch the bitch or I would have done.

So when I was a detective and had people ripped off by out of state assholes, I did my best to help them. Got an arrest warrant for a DB out of OH after he ripped off a local family on a race engine. Called local coppers and they went and arrested him. A friendly Judge let him out instead of holding him for extradition to NM but my victims had a certified check for the full amount he had ripped them off for within 2 days so justice was served...

Jonathon Arthur Ciener ran into a similarly determined copper and had to change his shitty business practices or face the slammer. Now the prick no longer accepts orders for stuff he doesn't have in stock and ships items promptly. Amazing what a trip to the gray bar hotel can do for people's attitudes...
Good on you...

I have had decent luck going to the Prosecutor's Office over checks that were written against closed accounts to me at shows.

Has to get over a grand to even maybe get Postal Inspectors interested and then it better be a Postal MO involved.

JAC actually had screwed over several different LEOs, one was a big money NFA deal & yeah he learned to do things mostly differently eventually
frankly though his BS was insignificant compared to Geoff Herring and his Shrike fraud. There are still folks who did the deposit back in the early 2000s he never made good with.

Warned friends way back when about businesses financing with Other Peoples Money.

Just a ton were jacked up by Attchison over his Assault Shotgun, another real awful one was the Bren 10
It's not just firearms by a long shot either
Old May 18, 2018, 09:51   #21
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
But I still get checks every week with no note, no GB listing number, a name I don't recognize, and I'm supposed to magically know what it's for.
Welcome to my world. You forgot illegible address on envelope that doesn't come close to matching that on the check.
They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear like Shiloh and Valley Forge. --- Michener, Tales of the South Pacific

Tempus Edax Rerum
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote