The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old November 14, 2018, 13:03   #1
kp2112
Registered

FALaholic #: 79763
Who made this scope mount?

Found this cleaning out some boxes. Searched "scope mount" here and there are a lot of threads, couldnt find a pic of one like this. Any idea, doesnt look home made. I wouldnt use it but just curious who made it.

https://imgur.com/Ib4nkzp
kp2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2018, 13:32   #2
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler - Gold Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Bubba. Only one like it I've seen, fairly certain it's not a factory original.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2018, 13:50   #3
Ct241
Registered

FALaholic #: 81580
I've got something similar to that that I suspect was the doings of Bubba.

https://imgur.com/PnuAQRm

I haven't been able to figure out who even made the dovetail mount. The only markings I've seen on it are shown: ARBG.
Ct241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2018, 14:11   #4
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Ive seen a number of those ARBG mounts though most are unmarked.
They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear like Shiloh and Valley Forge. --- Michener, Tales of the South Pacific

Tempus Edax Rerum
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2018, 14:23   #5
kp2112
Registered

I dont think its bubba, unless they had the equipment to press their own top cover with the recesses for the screws It has to be commercial, not saying its a GOOD commercial mount..

https://imgur.com/2YFi46m

https://imgur.com/onSbyb8

Last edited by kp2112; November 14, 2018 at 14:31.
Old November 14, 2018, 16:15   #6
Ct241
Registered

FALaholic #: 81580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post
Ive seen a number of those ARBG mounts though most are unmarked.
Who made these ARBG mounts? I can't find anything about them online. Any idea what it stands for?

Also kp2112,

Someone with the proper equipment could have easily marked that out and done it. Just because "bubba" did it doesn't necessarily mean some bozo with a Dremel tool did it. It does appear to be quite well done.
Ct241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2018, 17:08   #7
kp2112
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct241 View Post
Who made these ARBG mounts? I can't find anything about them online. Any idea what it stands for?

Also kp2112,

Someone with the proper equipment could have easily marked that out and done it. Just because "bubba" did it doesn't necessarily mean some bozo with a Dremel tool did it. It does appear to be quite well done.
The way the screws are recessed in there I dont think it could be a modified stock cover, just not enough material there, the recesses are pressed and not just drilled/beveled. The profile of the ejection port is different from any other stock metric cover I have as well.

Who knows, it has some age to it and odd someone would go through the trouble for a weaver style base. Just a curiosity for me..
Old November 14, 2018, 18:01   #8
D. Lehrman
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 10
There's a retired Highway Patrolman down in Tulsa that used to sell them as his own "design" tried and tested only way to mount a huge scope on a FAL mount. He made himself, but would mail advertising listing on them if you asked. Thought he was god's (notice the small g) gift to the game, did some scope repair as well. Somewhere I've got a handout/mailer from him. I went down to meet him in person and walked away scratching my head after all the BS and surefire that he'd never touch a scope of mine. I'm afraid due to the great age of my memory bank and the insignificant contact with him - I've forgotten his business or given name.

He even slings a bunch of BS in the handout about two inch groups at 300 yards and more. I turned off about then...I did see him with a table still at the show maybe 12-15 years back. Last I saw or heard of him about ten years back. They looked and attached exactly the same way IIRC.

Best I can do, sorta sidelined currently with some medical stuff or I'd search just to post the BS line he had on it's effectiveness. It was GREAT claim, but I've NEVER seen a FAL/L1A1 even a rather "special" handbuilt Lithgow that'd do what he claimed for accuracy.

Shakes head again, heads back to his corner...it WAS funny.
D. Lehrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2018, 18:14   #9
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Lehrman View Post
two inch groups at 300 yards and more.
Not out of the question!

The countofmontecristo had one that would for sale a while back, and of course any croc build will do that too
Old November 14, 2018, 18:24   #10
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Could also have been RapidRob with the 2 300yd groups.

...now if it was a Ruger 10/22 mount
Old November 14, 2018, 18:28   #11
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Not out of the question!

The countofmontecristo had one that would for sale a while back, and of course any croc build will do that too

Yeah, I have one of those mounts too. Have no idea what I will ever use it for, but there it sits. I would question if it would stay tight with a large, heavy scope on it, but it would probably work well with a light scope or red dot. Hmmm.......

I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.

The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it. Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2018, 11:45   #12
Bwana John
Registered

FALaholic #: 3810
I like how the .22 lr size ejection port cutout is on the port side of the topcover.

Bubba with a Ruger 10/22 or mk2 rail is my guess.
Old November 15, 2018, 15:07   #13
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Lehrman View Post
There's a retired Highway Patrolman down in Tulsa that used to sell them as his own "design" tried and tested only way to mount a huge scope on a FAL mount. He made himself, but would mail advertising listing on them if you asked. Thought he was god's (notice the small g) gift to the game, did some scope repair as well. Somewhere I've got a handout/mailer from him. I went down to meet him in person and walked away scratching my head after all the BS and surefire that he'd never touch a scope of mine. I'm afraid due to the great age of my memory bank and the insignificant contact with him - I've forgotten his business or given name.

He even slings a bunch of BS in the handout about two inch groups at 300 yards and more. I turned off about then...I did see him with a table still at the show maybe 12-15 years back. Last I saw or heard of him about ten years back. They looked and attached exactly the same way IIRC.

Best I can do, sorta sidelined currently with some medical stuff or I'd search just to post the BS line he had on it's effectiveness. It was GREAT claim, but I've NEVER seen a FAL/L1A1 even a rather "special" handbuilt Lithgow that'd do what he claimed for accuracy.

Shakes head again, heads back to his corner...it WAS funny.
Sounds like a "croc."
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote