Detroit, nothing new here.
https://jalopnik.com/detroit-cop-run...est-1836308771
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2019, 17:29   #2
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Wow - that's similar to Daniel Lombard AKA R1shooter - DSA's "too corrupt for Chicago PD" representative. But then Danny-boy handcuffed the victim, punched him, and kicked him in the balls, before filing a false report.

Lets hope this corrupt cop gets fired and arrested and jailed, and the officer sued personally for violating civil rights under color of law.
Old July 16, 2019, 17:50   #3
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Call me crazy, but what happened here is just the symptom of a much larger problem across the board when dealing with law enforcement, medical providers, retailers, whomever. What I've noticed is just plain incompetence by those employed to service "customers" of whatever variety.

In this case, this asshole should be terminated, period. But he likely will not be. His superiors will give us some BS about him being re-trained, and this idiot will be back on the street to 'F' over some other citizen.
Whydah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2019, 18:23   #4
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Running the stop sign was bad. But for that he should have the same repercussions as any of his fellow citizens. Sometimes people screw up.

What is corruption - and for which he deserves to be fired, sued, AND JAILED - is the false report, and his unlawful arrest.

That corruption didn't start on that day - every arrest he has ever made may now be appealed - we know the cop is a corrupt dirtbag, maybe he made up the grounds for all his previous arrests as well. And we can be reasonably certain that his fellow officers know damn well he's a corrupt dirtbag, but they just play along. Thin blue line and all. Because they share his guilt through their tacit approval. And are probably pulling their own shit. So we have mutually assured destruction.

Stop sign runners really anger me - 50 percent of the drivers at the two local signs blow through them. 25% slow down but don't actually stop. 25% (I'm being generous) actually come to a complete stop. Only 3 people, including an infant, have been killed at that stop sign by people blowing through - I guess that's a small price to pay for getting to sleep in an extra 5 minutes before work.
Old July 16, 2019, 20:42   #5
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydah View Post
Call me crazy, but what happened here is just the symptom of a much larger problem across the board when dealing with law enforcement, medical providers, retailers, whomever. What I've noticed is just plain incompetence by those employed to service "customers" of whatever variety.

In this case, this asshole should be terminated, period. But he likely will not be. His superiors will give us some BS about him being re-trained, and this idiot will be back on the street to 'F' over some other citizen.
No.... MSP holds their officers to very high standards. Nobody knows all the circumstances or the incident. I’m not making any defense or excuses for anyone. The incident involves an undercover officer, and there are likely many other pieces at play here beyond what was dished out to the media.

An investigation will to be completed, and the officer will be held accountable for his actions.

There are turds in any organization. Sometimes they take some time to float to the surface, and is up to the organization to clean them up. Of course, there are organizations that are turds........

An MSP officer that was held accountable for his actions: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/17/u...k-bessner.html
Old July 16, 2019, 21:04   #6
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
You should do a little research regarding MSP’s influence on crime since ramping up their presence in cities like Detroit, Flint and Muskegon over the past eight years. The statistics are impressive.... and also highlights just how corrupt and inept the local agencies were.
Old July 16, 2019, 21:22   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
No.... MSP holds their officers to very high standards.
So the cop did not file a false report? He reported that he blatantly ran the stop sign and was 100% at fault for the accident, but "arrested" the victim of anyway - and takes full responsibility for his felony violation of the citizen's civil rights?
Old July 16, 2019, 21:41   #8
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
If this just happened,it will take an internal investigation,likely,and a bit of time,but yes,generally,the Michigan State Police keep their ranks pretty clean. This guy most likely will not be a Trooper much longer,if he still is.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2019, 22:18   #9
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
If this just happened,it will take an internal investigation,likely,and a bit of time,but yes,generally,the Michigan State Police keep their ranks pretty clean. This guy most likely will not be a Trooper much longer,if he still is.
Because this was the first time in his career where he violated a citizen's civil rights and lied about events? And his entire chain of command simply had no idea he was corrupt? Possible, but unlikely.

His corruption grows from a seed that is watered and nurtured by his fellow officers. It rarely "just happens" - nor when it does, is it a surprise to anyone. The only complaint from his fellow officers would be that he was sloppy or unlucky, and got caught.

We do not have corrupt officers. We have institutional corruption that permits corrupt officers.

Like when Danny-boy / R1shooter "got caught" falsifying reports after assaulting a wrongfully-arrested citizen. He'd been doing it for years, with the full complicity of his chain of command. But once they had multiple previously-unknown witnesses, the department had to pretend this was an isolated case of a bad apple and discipline him accordingly (most wanted expulsion, but he only got a year suspension). Point is, who believes that his corruption was previously unknown?

I mean, really, when you're in the most corrupt city of the most corrupt state, in the entire US of A, and you're too unskillfully corrupt even for them . . . what kind of dirtbag must you be? Oh yeah - one that Dave at DSA will hire in a heartbeat. It's The Chicago Way.

Last edited by gunplumber; July 16, 2019 at 22:27.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019, 00:02   #10
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
So the cop did not file a false report? He reported that he blatantly ran the stop sign and was 100% at fault for the accident, but "arrested" the victim of anyway - and takes full responsibility for his felony violation of the citizen's civil rights?
I don’t have an answer to these questions. There are zero hard facts in that article for me to hang a constructive opinion on. MSP will investigate the matter. The officer WILL be held responsible for his actions. Details will not divulged until the matter is thoroughly investigated... unlike other department’s knee jerk reaction is to publicly hang the officer out to dry, as the “powers that be” care more about politics than public safety (... now, THAT is the “Chicago Way”).

I don’t understand the caustic attacks on the chain of command for this officer’s actions. Any person who has spent time in a leadership position would tangibly understand what it feels like to get blindsided by a subordinates poor and/or unethical judgement.
Old July 17, 2019, 00:20   #11
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
If the author thinks that the Jeep landed in a “driveway” when that is obviously a sidewalk, I have to question the rest of the story. Was the driver arrested, or just detained in handcuffs? Was he arrested for something else—expired license, etc? As far as I know, there is no arrestable offense for “causing a crash” in a Michigan, so if the driver was arrested, what was the charge? He is not going to be booked into jail on a “caused a crash” charge—the jail would not accept a fake charge.

The article states the Civic driver went to the hospital, not to jail. So he was never arrested—just possibly detained in handcuffs, but not arrested.
mp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019, 08:47   #12
TedKennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77344
Quote:
I don’t understand the caustic attacks on the chain of command for this officer’s actions. Any person who has spent time in a leadership position would tangibly understand what it feels like to get blindsided by a subordinates poor and/or unethical judgement.
Here's what you're missing:
Every organization has "bad apples". I believe everyone understands that.

The problem is - in police organizations, officers that behave badly are protected, a "blind eye" is turned by "good" cops, and the behavior continues, and typically gets worse over time. As GP stated, it's built in to the system.
TedKennedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019, 08:53   #13
medicmike
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Way back in the day the Chief of Phoenix, Oregon screwed up and accidentally drove by a school bus that had its red lights flashing in the oncoming lane. He turned on his overheads, pulled to the side and wrote himself a $200 citation. Gained instant respect with local LEOs. There are some good cops out there.

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019, 10:10   #14
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedKennedy View Post
Here's what you're missing:
Every organization has "bad apples". I believe everyone understands that.

The problem is - in police organizations, officers that behave badly are protected, a "blind eye" is turned by "good" cops, and the behavior continues, and typically gets worse over time. As GP stated, it's built in to the system.
Nope. That is your opinion. Your opinion is wrong, but you are entitled to it.

"Bad apples" flourish in poorly led organizations.

The vast majority of police "organizations" hold their officers accountable, and the members believe in holding "bad apples" accountable for their actions.

Of course, everyone has their interpretation, and have their personal bias, for what constitutes a "bad apple." There are plenty of criminals who are quick to call all police bad apples, and plenty of mothers who will state that their criminal children are fine outstanding citizens.

It is apparent through your past posts that there is no amount of evidence of tangible life experiences that will alter your opinion. You have your opinion based upon fantasy, that is fine... you are not unique. Most of us will base our opinions upon reality.
Old July 17, 2019, 10:58   #15
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Fantasy is thinking a SGT kicking a handcuffed, unconscious man in the head shouting "stop resisting" is a first-time thing. Something nobody could possibly have imagined he would do. Just an isolated incident.

No, it's his normal behavior, and it earned him a couple promotions. That is institutional corruption.

Cell phone videos are doing much to bring this to light.
Old July 17, 2019, 14:11   #16
TedKennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77344
Quote:
It is apparent through your past posts that there is no amount of evidence of tangible life experiences that will alter your opinion. You have your opinion based upon fantasy, that is fine... you are not unique. Most of us will base our opinions upon reality.
I am 53 freaking years old. I quit drinking when I was 25, don't do drugs, raise hell and I live a productive, peaceful life. Until a very few years ago I'd see some turd get his head busted by the cops, and say "he probably deserved it".

Real-life experiences have pointed me in a different direction, not fantasies.
From the events that killed a man in the Tulsa County jail, to "pay to play" deputies, to shooting dogs at the wrong address, to sicking a K9 cop on a mentally ill man and allowing him to get chewed on horribly, to the events leading up to the suicide of my son....those aren't fantasies.

I spent last weekend with great friends, many who are cops, deputies, and other LEOs. Fine men and women.

I wish I could hold all LEOs in that same regard, but it's a screwed up system, and I'd love to see it change. You obviously don't see it as an endemic problem, but that's to be expected..
TedKennedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019, 14:54   #17
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Fantasy is thinking a SGT kicking a handcuffed, unconscious man in the head shouting "stop resisting" is a first-time thing. Something nobody could possibly have imagined he would do. Just an isolated incident.

No, it's his normal behavior, and it earned him a couple promotions. That is institutional corruption.

Cell phone videos are doing much to bring this to light.
It's like any bad behavior by people
we all pretty much accept that when a pedophile is busted it likely not his first time
same with shoplifters

some dog mauls someone the owner is like well he never bit anyone before
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019, 15:00   #18
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Quote:
Because this was the first time in his career where he violated a citizen's civil rights and lied about events? And his entire chain of command simply had no idea he was corrupt? Possible, but unlikely.

His corruption grows from a seed that is watered and nurtured by his fellow officers. It rarely "just happens" - nor when it does, is it a surprise to anyone. The only complaint from his fellow officers would be that he was sloppy or unlucky, and got caught.

We do not have corrupt officers. We have institutional corruption that permits corrupt officers.

Like when Danny-boy / R1shooter "got caught" falsifying reports after assaulting a wrongfully-arrested citizen. He'd been doing it for years, with the full complicity of his chain of command. But once they had multiple previously-unknown witnesses, the department had to pretend this was an isolated case of a bad apple and discipline him accordingly (most wanted expulsion, but he only got a year suspension). Point is, who believes that his corruption was previously unknown?

I mean, really, when you're in the most corrupt city of the most corrupt state, in the entire US of A, and you're too unskillfully corrupt even for them . . . what kind of dirtbag must you be? Oh yeah - one that Dave at DSA will hire in a heartbeat. It's The Chicago Way.
Mark..I don't know. I don't know if this guy has been doing this systematically,or if he just started. I'm just stating that,generally,the Michigan State Police tend to keep their stables clean. We don't often hear about organized corruption in that entity. Ones here and there,yes,but they generally take care of things.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2019, 16:33   #19
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Mark..I don't know. I don't know if this guy has been doing this systematically,or if he just started. I'm just stating that,generally,the Michigan State Police tend to keep their stables clean. We don't often hear about organized corruption in that entity. Ones here and there,yes,but they generally take care of things.
State Police forces in my opinion do tend to be cleaner internally than County or City
Old July 17, 2019, 16:41   #20
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
State Police forces in my opinion do tend to be cleaner internally than County or City
I've noticed that as well. County Sheriff and State troopers seem a higher quality than smaller units.
Old July 17, 2019, 17:11   #21
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I've noticed that as well. County Sheriff and State troopers seem a higher quality than smaller units.
like some gurls claim, Size Matters...

at least up here the SP is directly answerable to the AGs Office
while they can be officious pricks I never encountered a corrupt bastard among them

County depends on County as does City to City
30 years back corruption everywhere, these days extremely little in this region
the few that do crop up get snared pretty fast these days and after getting credentials and license revoked at the State level often get jailed

that's here though not a national standard by any means and really has been a development over the last couple decades
just saying all my involvement with coppers over the last couple has been overwhelmingly positive.

admittedly some of that's on me
I quit raising hell decades ago, some of my own values evolved over time too

Speaking for my region local LE had a degree of corruption growing up
The worst of it started in the 80s with deputies boinking 14 and 15 year old gals

my opinion orgs always rot from the top down
the "bad apple", the worst rotted of them all is always management
in my community back then the Chief was a well known molestor
he was finally cold busted when he slid his hand up a teen waitress's skirt and grabbed pussy in front of a table of old broads at a local restaurant.
it was all a free for all until he was forced to resign

none of that is tolerated now
Old July 30, 2019, 13:04   #22
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Well, did De-troat fire this co-rup po-po or what? Did Sr. Martinez sue to get his car replaced, medical bills paid for and lost wages (if he was working)?

Yeah, yeah. And EXACTLY would YOU do if you were treated by the po-pop in the same MANNER?

Jarhead
Old July 31, 2019, 16:43   #23
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post
Well, did De-troat fire this co-rup po-po or what? Did Sr. Martinez sue to get his car replaced, medical bills paid for and lost wages (if he was working)?

Yeah, yeah. And EXACTLY would YOU do if you were treated by the po-pop in the same MANNER?

Jarhead
Coming from a guy who lives in a state with some of the most corrupt and racist (both black and white) police in the Country, on all levels.
Old August 03, 2019, 18:53   #24
Jarhead504
Registered

Quote:
Coming from a guy who lives in a state with some of the most corrupt and racist (both black and white) police in the Country, on all levels.
What's that supposed to mean Brother lockjaw? I know a douche bag when I see one. That po-po is a POS.

A great friend of mine who had joined the N.O.PD when he got out of the Corps after returning from Vietnam explained to me that when he first got in, the selection was more restrictive and selective, "...but now, they have CRIMINALS WITH BADGES". Noo'Awlins does not have the monopoly on stupidity and corruption. If only it were that easy.

Jarhead
Old August 03, 2019, 21:03   #25
Trypcil
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
Anyway likely he's a retard - he might be a candidate for a liberal left wing self help group, he might even meet a 'Meatloaf' transgender type as in 'Fight Club', and skip into the evening sun, together.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self." E Hemingway

Now everyone cries wolf, videos everything and lives a life of observation, not participation. Rogue goes the mind, extrapolating from insufficient data - forming arguable opinions, when all it really is, is anger in the heart!

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression... There is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we must be most aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." -- William O. Douglas, US Supreme Court Justice from 1939-1975

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2019, 22:21   #26
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
I know a retired deputy sheriff. I asked him what is the coolest thing about being a cop, he said he could drive anywhere as fast as he wanted it anytime. He missed that Benny of the job.
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 05, 2019, 00:04   #27
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
What's that supposed to mean Brother lockjaw? I know a douche bag when I see one. That po-po is a POS.

A great friend of mine who had joined the N.O.PD when he got out of the Corps after returning from Vietnam explained to me that when he first got in, the selection was more restrictive and selective, "...but now, they have CRIMINALS WITH BADGES". Noo'Awlins does not have the monopoly on stupidity and corruption. If only it were that easy.

Jarhead
It means that I was being a smart ass. Obviously, you know that Lousiana in general, especially New Orleans, has a well established history of being crooked, and racism is widespread through out.... ranging from the small town"if your black, don't let the sun set on your back..." mentaility, but then you go into the cities where that racism is flipped. All across the board, police are after revenue. If you get stopped, you are going to pay. When I lived in Georgia and visited/trained in Louisiana, there were some sketchy moments with the police.....

O.K., that isn't fair. I sound like every other tin foil hat police nay-sayer. I'm sure that Louisiana has many fine law enforcement officers, and the vast majority are good people. A lot has likely changed in 10 years as well, and Louisiana's socioeconomic issues are unique.

Anyway, regarding the numb nuts in the video, as I stated before, we don't have the full story (whatever it is). MSP is investigating it, and will take appropriate actions. There is likely much more at play here than what a 1 minute 30 second clip will suggest, and I'm surely not going to hang my hat on a news story which has an obvious slant/agenda.

"Well, did De-troat fire this co-rup po-po or what?" Well, I am pretty sure that there are quite a few Detroit po-po that would love to see MSP leave, so they can go back to their previous business as usual. MSP has made significant impact on the number of felons locked up, and reduction in violent crime. De-Troat will not holding this officer accountable for his actions, Michigan State Police will.

Last edited by lockjaw; August 05, 2019 at 07:33.
lockjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 05, 2019, 09:12   #28
Jarhead504
Registered

Quote:
It means that I was being a smart ass.
I knew that. I jest a lot on the netweb myseff. I wasn't busting the De-troat's po-po's balls in general as I know every profession has bad characters. My Dad was LEO for 22 years. He taught me a lot about cops and gummint agents.

Jarhead
Old August 05, 2019, 12:07   #29
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
I knew that. I jest a lot on the netweb myseff. I wasn't busting the De-troat's po-po's balls in general as I know every profession has bad characters. My Dad was LEO for 22 years. He taught me a lot about cops and gummint agents.

Jarhead
I guess I have to elaborate a little further. Detroit has their own police. Michigan State Police had to come in and clean house because of the rampant crime and corruption... and they have been doing an exceptional job, with a lot of hard work, danger and sacrifice. Aside from the posted officers there, additional MSP officers rotate through almost like a deployment, due to the high pace and stress.

By all mean, PLEASE, bust the Big D's po-po! If they wouldn't have been corrupt to begin with and did their jobs, MSP wouldn't have to be there to clean up their mess.