Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Shotgun Files

Notices

Old December 01, 2012, 23:34   #1
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Anyone try the new Mossbergs?

Was looking into shotguns again and noticed on the Mossberg website that the 500 seams to be out and they have a "JM" Jerry Miculek 930 series model which is built as a 3 gun shotgun as well as the SA-20 series..

Anyone have any experience with any of these? I like the JM shotgun a lot but wish it had the option of ghost ring sights..
Old December 02, 2012, 06:42   #2
Chipmunk
Registered

FALaholic #: 213
Howdy def90, you might try this site for a review....
http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewforum.php?f=17

Chipmunk
Old December 04, 2012, 20:36   #3
gunhand
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 66563
I have a 930 SPX shotgun, and it works very well. It doesn't shoot quite as fast as a Benelli, but VERY close. I have nearly 500 rounds of birdshot, 00 buck, and slugs down range with zero malfunctions.
Old December 05, 2012, 16:40   #4
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
When I thought I was going to be shooting more 3-Gun than it turns out I will, I fully intended to pick up a 930 JM for the sport. I have not read anything bad about them but don't think a lot of them are out and have been properly wrung out to tell. I'm still pretty happy with my Remmy 1100 CM although conventional wisdom is an 1100 can't possibly hold up to 3-Gun usage and only those of use too old or stubborn to change or admit defeat still use one. I know one thing, I have shot a lot more shells at Skeet with another older 1100 than I will probably ever shoot in 3-Gun matches with my 1100 CM. There is the occasional slug or maybe even buckshot in 3-Gun but the vast majority of the shells are #8 just like I throw in the general direction of clay birds. All that to say, any reason you are not looking at a good old tried-and-true 1100 or even a new fangled 11-87? How about a new Versmax?

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2012, 23:55   #5
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
All that to say, any reason you are not looking at a good old tried-and-true 1100 or even a new fangled 11-87? How about a new Versmax?
I have shot a lot of trap/skeet over the years but it's been a while since I have owned a real shotgun and at the moment I only have my Grandpas old break open single shot 12.

I have been casually looking at all kinds of shotguns over the last year or so ranging form the standard Mossbergs to Benellis. I like to think I am going to get into some 3 gun or other competition stuff but I haven't actually taken that step yet and may just be wishful thinking.

I think I have finally decided that I would like a semi vs pump, 18-20 inch barrel might be too short but a 26 -28 too long. I kind of liked the ghost ring sighted guns I have shot but I am not set on them as I have grown up shooting standard sights and do fine with them.

The 930JM looked interesting because with the in between barrel length (22 - 24) and sights it looks like it would make a decent skeet/trap gun as well as a comp gun vs some others.

I have not been sold on the Mossberg 500 series guns, a little too cheap feeling and the Benellis are just a little too much for the pocket. It seems like the in between area has always been filled with bird guns.
Old December 07, 2012, 07:18   #6
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
A buddy has one of the 7+1 models with ghost rings on it. Seem like a solid gun. He had it tubed, and ported.

I wish it came as a 20" 8+1, if it did I would be all over it.
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2012, 08:52   #7
Timber Wolf
Registered

Rich, the JM 930 series comes as a 22" 8+1 and a 24" 9+1. There is also another version in the series with I think a 12+1 mag tube named after another celebrity shooter. My Remington 1100CM (Competition Master) is an 8+1 and I had about decided if I bought a JM 930 to go for the 9+1, even though I don't care for the longer barrel. Most of the 3-Gun matches I have been to restrict you to 8 rounds in the magazine at start at least in my divisions. But, any amount is allowed after the signal and I think even if you did not use the extra mag capacity it is still a lot easier to load 8 rounds against 9 round spring pressure. I know that last round in mine is getting pretty stiff. I have also seen guys running a mag tube out past the barrel. Looks like ass but no real reason otherwise not too, and it actually prevents hitting the muzzle on the bottom of the barrel when you throw it in there during a stage. I have seriously considered changing my mag tube for a longer one, and probably will if I start shooting 3-Gun again.

Last edited by Timber Wolf; December 07, 2012 at 09:30.
Old December 07, 2012, 09:19   #8
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
There is also another version in the series with I think a 11+1 mag tube named after another celebrity shooter.
Pat Flanagan

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=320640554
Old December 07, 2012, 09:32   #9
Timber Wolf
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
Yep, just looked, and it is 12+1 and the mag tube is waaayyy out there. Just poke em' if'n they don't go down when shot!

Old December 07, 2012, 09:35   #10
richbug
Registered

Quote:
Rich, the JM 930 series comes as a 22" 8+1 and a 24" 9+1. There is also another version in the series with I think a 11+1 mag tube named after another celebrity shooter. My Remington 1100CM (Competition Master) is an 8+1 and I had about decided if I bought a JM 930 to go for the 9+1, even though I don't care for the longer barrel. Most of the 3-Gun matches I have been to restrict you to 8 rounds in the magazine at start at least in my divisions. But, any amount is allowed after the signal and I think even if you did not use the extra mag capacity it is still a lot easier to load 8 rounds against 9 round spring pressure. I know that last round in mine is getting pretty stiff. I have also seen guys running a mag tube out past the barrel. Looks like ass but no real reason otherwise not too, and it actually prevents hitting the muzzle on the bottom of the barrel when you throw it in there during a stage. I have seriously considered changing my mag tube for a longer one, and probably will if I start shooting 3-Gun again.
I am familiar with the rules. The reason I don't like the JM guns is the silly attempt at a vent rib on the barrel. If it had 2 beads you it would be better for shooting slugs and with a tight choke for long steel. Not a simple project to install a set of ghost rings, would have to strip off the whole rib, not sure how it is attached.

The 20 inch barrel is much handier than a 24" when running down a hallway, that extra 4" can trip you up, snag on things, take longer to get out a port...

The Rem CM guns are OK, but I still see a malfunction virtually every match from the guys that use them all the time. Many more issues from the guys who haven't tried to figure out what ammo they "like".
Old December 07, 2012, 11:50   #11
Timber Wolf
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbug View Post
The Rem CM guns are OK, but I still see a malfunction virtually every match from the guys that use them all the time. Many more issues from the guys who haven't tried to figure out what ammo they "like".
Amen on the ammo, my CM choked consistently when new on Winchester but ran like a raped ape on Remington shells. At the urging of some other competitors (and the fact I could not find the Remington cheap) I started using the Federal 100 count from Mart Mart and it too runs fine. The Winchester was my standard Skeet shell that ran fine in my old 1100 Skeet gun so I was surprised it did not run in the CM. To be fair, it may work now that my CM is broken in. I actually owned the CM for about 5 years before I ever shot it. It just sat around fat and happy in the safe.

I do believe that 3-Gun gives a gun more pounding than the shoot one, shoot two, of Skeet. But I also know that I have a lot of trigger time on the 1100 platform from shooting Skeet and it is nice to have something familiar in my hands when I am running (stumbling) through a stage. I know I am hell on the pop-up clays in a stage! I have massaged (dremeled) the load port on my CM and installed an EZ loader to help with my "load twos". I have not done a lot of work with slugs but the little I have shot them shows my CM to be surpisingly accurate. I did some various distance testing earlier this year with a few different chokes and it was very consistent across the choke constrictions. I have thought about different sights but again, having looked over the standard rib of an 1100 as much as I have I don't think the sights are a problem in my stage scores. Motivating my old, wide, and thick self around the course quickly is!

Old December 24, 2012, 09:32   #12
richbug
Registered

Well you and the political climate talked me into one. No JMs or Flanigans available. Only one without a pistol grip that I could find locally was the one with the "tactical breecher" on an 18.5" barrel. Will try to get a barrel from Mossberg after the holidays. Have a tube here already.
Old December 26, 2012, 17:51   #13
PARA FN FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 17487
I bought one of the Mossy 930s from Walmart and was wondering if a mag extension tube would interfere with the muzzle break on the end of the barrel.

So far I have fired over 200 rounds of many different brands of ammo through it and only the Winchester has caused any problems with cycling. That isn't to big a deal as I get my ammo from Walmart as well and prefer Federal ammo any time over Winchester.
PARA FN FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2012, 19:49   #14
richbug
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARA FN FAL View Post
I bought one of the Mossy 930s from Walmart and was wondering if a mag extension tube would interfere with the muzzle break on the end of the barrel.

So far I have fired over 200 rounds of many different brands of ammo through it and only the Winchester has caused any problems with cycling. That isn't to big a deal as I get my ammo from Walmart as well and prefer Federal ammo any time over Winchester.

What exact ammo caused the issues?

The Walmarts ones here are the "tactical breecher" Not a muzzle break... Can get the model number off my box, probably the same gun I bought.

To put an extension on it you have to pop the little piece out of the tube that holds the cap in place. Probably only put on a +3, +4 is going to be hanging out past the end of the barrel.

The gasses shouldn't hurt your tube unless it is plastic. Pretty common to see guns with the mag tube a little past the barrel. They will show powder residue and finish wear, but doesn't seem to hurt them.
Old January 01, 2013, 08:55   #15
PARA FN FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 17487
To me the "door breacher" is a muzzle break. And the Winchester rounds that were choking it up were low base #7.5 or#8 shot. I don't remember exactly what size shot but the other rounds were the same shot size and low base but ran perfectly.
PARA FN FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013, 18:56   #16
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

So.. I am getting closer to committing to a purchase. I am still leaning towards the JM 930 at the moment, would love a Benelli but the $$ isn't there. If you had a choice between 9 round 22 inch barrel and 10 round 24 inch barrel what would you choose? I am leaning towards the 22 inch barrel (seems like a good compromise between a short tactical barrel and something that is more useful at distance) and I am thinking I could always get a tube extension right? Honestly this will be used as an all around shotgun as other than my grandpas old single shot 12 gauge (not a practical gun and honestly I don't really want to be shooting it) this is the only one I will have. Most likely in the end I will use it mostly for fun shooting clays but I am daydreaming a bit that I will give some 3 gun type stuff a try this summer.
Old February 26, 2013, 19:09   #17
L Haney
Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 20446
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARA FN FAL View Post
We were discussing the issue of those exact same breaks on a coffee brake at work this morning. The brake down of the opinions seems to point to those breaks being unsuitable.

Then again, I don't trust those guys to be able to brake an egg without braking the bowl.
" 'Rural folk are unhappy', haha. The thing that no progressive can stand, ever, is the notion that somewhere, somehow, someone has been left alone and is doing exactly what they want and is happy about it."

bubbagump
L Haney is offline   Reply With Quote