The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old March 02, 2019, 17:19   #1
Eeben
Registered

FALaholic #: 72911
The Gun Run: June 22nd, 2019 in Ellerbe, NC

Excited to announce the inaugural event for The Gun Run! June 22nd, 2019 at DeWitt's Outdoor Sports in Ellerbe, NC. It will be a standard 5k centerfire biathlon.
Check out http://thegunrun.us for more info. If attendence is high I'll do a winter one as well.
Eeben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 03, 2019, 14:12   #2
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Outstanding! I'm afraid I'm already booked for June though. :-(

What's the match fee?
Old March 03, 2019, 17:21   #3
jcornss
Registered

FALaholic #: 37954
That's a couple of hours from me.
jcornss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 04, 2019, 07:23   #4
Eeben
Registered

Working on match fee and number of tickets now.
Old March 04, 2019, 09:38   #5
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Dude, those Heat shirts are awesome!

Iím booked for this year, but keep us informed on here and Iíll look at working NC into the rotation.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 04, 2019, 15:41   #6
Eeben
Registered

Thanks, get one while they are hot!
Old March 05, 2019, 22:07   #7
jtscuba02
Registered

FALaholic #: 67279
I will be out at that range tomorrow. About an hour for me but worth it because of how low key the place is.
jtscuba02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2019, 22:40   #8
Eeben
Registered

It's a great range. Tickets will go on sale March 30th. $80 will be the match fee.
Old March 23, 2019, 10:36   #9
Eeben
Registered

If anyone is interested in being an RO for the match, please email me: info@thegunrun.us
Old March 30, 2019, 10:46   #10
Eeben
Registered

Tickets now available.

https://thegunrun.us/products/the-gu...cket-june-22nd
Old March 30, 2019, 19:20   #11
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeben View Post
If anyone is interested in being an RO for the match, please email me: info@thegunrun.us
email sent. Ticket purchased.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2019, 19:26   #12
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Do you have a course of fire yet so we can start practicing shooting badly and determining how many ammo cans we need to bring?

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old March 31, 2019, 09:27   #13
Eeben
Registered

Thanks to everyone who bought a ticket the first day! Please continue to tell your friends about the race. The exact course of fire will not be posted but a minimum round count will be. Expect to engage pistol targets out to 50yds and rifle targets out to 200yds. You will shoot right and left handed. Since the venue is primarily a sporting clays range, there will be one station with a stage gun where you will shoot some clays. so brush up on that!
Old March 31, 2019, 19:21   #14
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Since the venue is primarily a sporting clays range, there will be one station with a stage gun where you will shoot some clays. so brush up on that!
I hope that stage instructions read, "Shoot at the clays. Otherwise, I am so screwed.

Old April 09, 2019, 18:45   #15
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Any additional info for the match? Been quiet for a while. Hoping that nobody has lost interest.

As noted earlier, I am going to participate. Who else is planning on going?

Old April 10, 2019, 14:35   #16
Eeben
Registered

I've been working on sponsors for the match. The course is all designed and I'm using some creativity in finalizing the obstacles. Everyone should get a few chances to get wet to cool off.
Old April 19, 2019, 10:42   #17
Eeben
Registered

Vortex optics has signed on as a sponsor for the match! I have a Strike Eagle and HS LR that have been fantastic in the field. They also have a killer warranty. Check them out www.vortexoptics.com

Last edited by Eeben; April 19, 2019 at 12:08.
Old April 23, 2019, 17:15   #18
jcornss
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Any additional info for the match? Been quiet for a while. Hoping that nobody has lost interest.

As noted earlier, I am going to participate. Who else is planning on going?
I'm going Tac
Old April 23, 2019, 20:19   #19
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Do you know if anybody else is coming. Kotengu is working another match at Rock Castle close to this date so he won't be coming.

My LGS has a clearance sale going on for a throwing hatchet. I am thinking on getting one to practice for the RBGC with. I can throw knives pretty good and hit what I am aiming at. Getting them to stick is altogether another thing.

Old April 24, 2019, 10:55   #20
Eeben
Registered

Midway USA has signed on as a sponsor. I buy most of my bullets for reloading there, check them out: www.midwayusa.com
Old April 24, 2019, 11:03   #21
jcornss
Registered

I don't think I know anyone else that's coming
Old April 24, 2019, 15:58   #22
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Eeben, how we doing for registered contestants?

And I made my reservations based on the normal practice of R/O running the course on Fridays (the day before the match). Hope that was a correct assumption.

Old April 25, 2019, 10:38   #23
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcornss View Post
I don't think I know anyone else that's coming
I will be there!
Old April 25, 2019, 17:13   #24
jcornss
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
I will be there!
Yas!
Old April 26, 2019, 11:34   #25
Eeben
Registered

ROs will run Friday, I will send out an email to all the ROs in a few weeks with details for Friday and Saturday.

About half the tickets have sold. I've just started some local advertising which should bring in some more participants. I'm hoping it hits a nice healthy number of ticket sales to make it worth doing again but doesn't sell out so I'm not stressed out haha!

The great thing about these races is I'm going to have a blast doing it Friday no matter what!
Old May 07, 2019, 14:07   #26
Eeben
Registered

Announcing our latest sponsor Magpul! They are donating a bunch of prizes for the random draw prize table, check them out at www.magpul.com

Please continue to share this race with your friends via social media, there are still tickets available.
https://www.facebook.com/thegunrunUS
Old June 06, 2019, 12:04   #27
Eeben
Registered

Finalizing the run order and I'll be emailing out an update to all the participants this weekend. Hope everyone is ready for some scorching Carolina heat on the 22nd!
Old June 06, 2019, 19:09   #28
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Finalizing the run order and I'll be emailing out an update to all the participants this weekend. Hope everyone is ready for some scorching Carolina heat on the 22nd!
My home AC crapped out on me last week in the middle of 6 days of triple digits. Finally fixed during the relative cool of this week. So hot days in the Piedmont aren't going to amount for much to me.

Been working on my elliptical trainer, per doctors orders, to start using muscle groups not used in yoga. Worked my way down from an 18 minute mile last year to a 12 minute mile. While that may sound like a casual pace to many, but for a guy that was over 300 pounds, diagnosed with COPD, and has bad knees, I think it is awesome. I did find out however, that my body has forgotten how to run, or even jog a little bit. Starting to work on that now. When trying to run, I look as stiff as did when Stork was leading the parade in Animal House.

Who knows, maybe I can finish the course in under 7 hours 58 minutes.

See all of you there.

Last edited by tac-40; June 06, 2019 at 19:14.
Old June 06, 2019, 20:26   #29
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Quote:
. Worked my way down from an 18 minute mile last year to a 12 minute mile. While that may sound like a casual pace to many, but for a guy that was over 300 pounds, diagnosed with COPD, and has bad knees, I think it is awesome.
Tac if you were doing a 12 minute mile last year then you are made of some pretty damn tough stuff ! It IS awesome !

I did 12 minutes last week for a mile. Mind you, I'm probably about 15-20 years younger, no breathing disorder, and 75-100 pounds lighter.

I'm going to have to up my game or you'll be waving over your shoulder as you pass me by one of these events
Tak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2019, 21:52   #30
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Tac if you were doing a 12 minute mile last year then you are made of some pretty damn tough stuff ! It IS awesome !

I did 12 minutes last week for a mile. Mind you, I'm probably about 15-20 years younger, no breathing disorder, and 75-100 pounds lighter.

I'm going to have to up my game or you'll be waving over your shoulder as you pass me by one of these events
Wow - that IS awesome improvement!
Old June 07, 2019, 07:15   #31
TedKennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

Man, I love reading posts like that!

One question - this event being on June 22nd - is there extra credit for running a K98 on Barbarossa Day?
TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2019, 13:16   #32
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
Wow - that IS awesome improvement!
First let state (making an excuse), that the 12 minute mile was done on an elliptical machine and not on a track/race course. AND as we all know, that is way different from competing. That said, last year when I started prepping (read as can I really go that far/do it?), I was walking a 2 mile distance on a paved athletic track. And I was unencumbered by any gear what so ever except for my phone and ear buds for some travelling music. My first time to finish was 40 minutes for the 2 miles. I gradually improved to 34-36 minutes for 2 miles and the last time I did the track before the match I finished up in 32+ minutes. But that was pushing it. Today, I am still using the elliptical and doing 3 miles on it (per the computer) and finishing it in the 36+ to 38 minutes consistently. My biggest problem is maintaining my breathing and pulse. I knew that I got winded easily (COPD) but I never realized that if my pulse got really high (above 145 which is like 90% my max) I would get winded again. Apparently my lungs don't work well enough to transfer oxygen at the higher flows (heart rate). But hell, I am seeing progress and hope to be around a long time for these things.

I meant to keep you guys in the dark until you saw me again, since we are on the topic (and I brought it up). I have been on a diet system that works for me. It is based on eating "good" foods and avoiding the "bad" ones as well as portion control. As I posted earlier, I was 300+ pounds (actually 306). Since starting this program, I have dropped down to 270. And because my trend is losing weight at the rate of 2Ĺ pounds per week, I am hoping to be at 260-265 by the time of the match. So, while not skinny or even close to slim, I am feeling healthier and can't wait to see what I can do at the match.

Old June 07, 2019, 13:46   #33
Tak
Registered

Quote:
First let state (making an excuse), that the 12 minute mile was done on an elliptical machine and not on a track/race course. AND as we all know, that is way different from competing. That said, last year when I started prepping (read as can I really go that far/do it?), I was walking a 2 mile distance on a paved athletic track. And I was unencumbered by any gear what so ever except for my phone and ear buds for some travelling music. My first time to finish was 40 minutes for the 2 miles. I gradually improved to 34-36 minutes for 2 miles and the last time I did the track before the match I finished up in 32+ minutes. But that was pushing it. Today, I am still using the elliptical and doing 3 miles on it (per the computer) and finishing it in the 36+ to 38 minutes consistently. My biggest problem is maintaining my breathing and pulse. I knew that I got winded easily (COPD) but I never realized that if my pulse got really high (above 145 which is like 90% my max) I would get winded again. Apparently my lungs don't work well enough to transfer oxygen at the higher flows (heart rate). But hell, I am seeing progress and hope to be around a long time for these things.

I meant to keep you guys in the dark until you saw me again, since we are on the topic (and I brought it up). I have been on a diet system that works for me. It is based on eating "good" foods and avoiding the "bad" ones as well as portion control. As I posted earlier, I was 300+ pounds (actually 306). Since starting this program, I have dropped down to 270. And because my trend is losing weight at the rate of 2Ĺ pounds per week, I am hoping to be at 260-265 by the time of the match. So, while not skinny or even close to slim, I am feeling healthier and can't wait to see what I can do at the match.
I stand by my Awesome comment !

What you're doing is great and is a wonderful accomplishment. Hope to see you in August again
Old June 08, 2019, 12:54   #34
Eeben
Registered

Hearing about someone getting healthier partly because of these events is so awesome and inspiring. Keep it up!

After my trial run of the stages, I've tweaked the minimum round count to 35 rifle, 26 pistol. Shooting a pistol at 50yd was hard when I wasn't winded so I will probably fail my own stages.
Old June 10, 2019, 09:24   #35
TedKennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77344
Quote:
Hearing about someone getting healthier partly because of these events is so awesome and inspiring. Keep it up!

After my trial run of the stages, I've tweaked the minimum round count to 35 rifle, 26 pistol. Shooting a pistol at 50yd was hard when I wasn't winded so I will probably fail my own stages.
Don't worry....it happens to me all the time!

I wish I could attend all these different RNG events that keep popping up, the improvements so many folks are making is downright awesome!
TedKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2019, 20:36   #36
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Well, this thing is over. 50+ competitors plus RO's. First shooters on the course by 8 a.m. Last competitor over the finish line around 4-4:30 p.m. The weather cooperated with temps starting off in the high 70's and rising to high 80's by the finish. Nice breeze and moderate humidity made the conditions good for the run. Eeben learned from other races and came up with some challenging obstacles and courses of fire. Only a few completed all of the stages with may others getting DNF's for 1 and 2 stages

I had a whole lot of fun on the course and shot very well on a couple of stages and DNF'd others. But I had fun.

Course breakdown was as follows (going by memory here):

Each stage was linear. To advance, you had to neutralize the preceding target.Time limits on stages 1-5 was 90 seconds.

Stage 1 - Rifle only. Shooter runs ~10 yds from start and goes prone behind barricade and engages 3 targets with 4 rounds each. Then runs forward ~25 yds to second barricade, go prone, and re-engages steel with 4 each. Run forward to a third barricade and repeat.

Stage 2 - All pistol. Shooter starts at 50 yard line and engages a reduced steel silhouette for 5 hits. When hit 5 times, shooter moves forward to 25 yard line and engages steel for 5 hits. When 5 hits made, move to 10 yard line for 5 more hits.

Stage 3 -Pistol and rifle. Shooter starts on the driver seat and hands on wheel of vehicle. Pistol is in tray on passenger seat. At buzzer, engage close target with three hits center mass (paper plate), put pistol back in tray, then exit vehicle to rear and recover staged rifle. Engage long distance (~200 yards) target with 3 shots from tailgate or truck bed.

Stage 4 - Pistol and rifle. On signal shooter draws pistol and engages small steel target (10 yds) with weak hand making 2 hits from each of 4 ports (similar to low Vtac board). After making 8 hits, shooter holsters pistol and retrieves staged rifle. Shooter engages long distance target (~100 yds) with rifle though same ports for 2 hits from each port.

Stage 5 - Rifle only. On the signal, shooter engages three steel targets of diminishing size in order with 3 hits each. Steel was approximately 180 yards across a lake.

Stage 6 - Bonus with shotgun. Shooter is given club Mossberg 500 shotgun loaded with 6 rounds. Shooter controls the clays by calling pull. First 2 pulls result in 1 bird each. Third pull results in a report double throw. The last pull results in a true double throw. For each clay hit, shooter had 1 minute removed from run time. Total possible time off was 6 minutes.

The obstacles were also challenging. First was the log cross. Logs were placed across course to disrupt the running rythm and pace. Second was the low crawl. Competitor had to crawl underneath the rear axle of a large truck. Close quarters and low clearance. Glad I lost 45 pounds or I would have never made it. The third obstacle was a pond walk. Competitor entered the pond and walked in waist deep water for 25 yards then returned to dry land. Water snakes were on everyone's mind since several had been seen in the area. The last obstacle was the heavy lift. After completing stage 4 (weak hand) competitor picked up a military duffel bag containing two sand bags. All straps had been removed except the carry handle in the center. The bags weighed between 62-68 pounds and were awkward to carry. Competitor had to carry the bag to the next stage (5), a distance of about a quarter mile (400 yds). Failure to complete any of the obstacles resulted in a zero score for the run.

Course distance was measured again today and the result was about 3.7 miles (6 KM). The course condition ranged from asphalt, grass, dirt, gravel, and loose sand.

There was a web TV crew there and they filmed each stage and some of the course and obstacles.

I am now hoping to attend the next one. I had a lot of fun. Might say something different tomorrow morning when the has worn off.

Last edited by tac-40; June 22, 2019 at 20:51.
Old June 22, 2019, 21:57   #37
kotengu
Registered

Great report and it sounds like an awesome course!

I am most impressed by the 45lbs you left at home this year - well freaking done!!!
Old June 23, 2019, 11:44   #38
Eeben
Registered

Thanks for the recap Tac-40! Good job out there, it was a blast!
Old June 23, 2019, 14:24   #39
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:

I am most impressed by the 45lbs you left at home this year - well freaking done!!!
That low crawl under the truck was a little concerning. I followed Nuttz's advice on running light and removed my IFAK from the back of my rig. Would have never made it under otherwise. Talked with JCorns after the race. He said he crushed a bottle of water when it hung up when going under. He also said he worried for a second about getting hung up until he realized what it was.

Eeben, I forgot to tell the cook that the BBQ was freaking awesome. I took some left overs back to the hotel and it tasted even better after I was a little more hydrated and cooled off.

kotengu, you and stimpy are going to be soooooooooo jealous of Nuttz's camping rig. He even has A/C in his tent and a Keurig for coffee. Talk about roughing it. About the only thing I didn't see on it was a satellite tv. But that may have been back ordered and waiting for delivery. I think he posted some photos on his FB page.

Old June 23, 2019, 21:26   #40
Tak
Registered

Quote:

Thanks for sharing your story tac-40, it's a great accomplishment and you definitely should be proud!

The course sounds like it was a great challenge but an achievable one.

good thing it wasn't require to do an oil change while under the truck. Anyone who has done that knows it always takes twice as long as you think it will (and is twice as messy) lol !
Old June 24, 2019, 09:38   #41
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Well the scores are in and I am both proud and disappointed with my performance. First, last year I completed my first RNG in 1 hour and 22 minutes and it was a 3K race. I finished this course in 1 hour and 44 minutes and as posted above, it was about 6 KM. Quite an improvement in my mobility and physical conditioning. Thanks to all that gave me the positive support and encouragement. My shooting performance was better than last year but still dismal. I DNF'd two stages (timed out) that I should not have. The first stage I knew was going to be close due to the movement required, but I took six or eight shots before getting myself under control and started making hits. The second stage of all pistol and 50 yards starting target sucked. I have shot steel at fifty yds with pistol and was familiar with the holdover. I made all of the long distance shots but spent too much time doing so. The weak hand stage was not forgiving. I zipped through the pistol portion with only a couple of makeup shots. Started the rifle section and on the next to last plate, I had a malfunction. A piece of brass bounced off the barricade support and flew back into the ejection port causing a stovepipe. I was able to get one more shot after clearing the malf but timed out. Dangit. The two stages I did complete had me 14th and 20th overall for those stages. Not bad for an old guy. The bonus stage (shotgun) surprised me and I would have cleaned it if I hadn't gotten cocky and pulled the last shot.

So I have some things to work out and practice before the RBGC RNG in August. Also, some changes to my gear and its setup. And I have to remember to NOT forget my running boots.

Old June 25, 2019, 07:52   #42
Eeben
Registered

You crushed the car stage, I think you might have had some practice with that in your career!
Old June 25, 2019, 15:31   #43
henschman
Registered

FALaholic #: 75066
Glad to hear it went well. With that COF and set of obstacles it sounds like you're upholding the true spirit of Run 'n Gun! Sounds like a good turnout, especially for a brand new event... think you're going to do a winter one?

Last edited by henschman; June 25, 2019 at 16:08.
henschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2019, 19:17   #44
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
You crushed the car stage, I think you might have had some practice with that in your career!
Thank you for the compliment.

Nope, submarines had limited distance shooting ranges. And from experience, police car windows and doors are expensive.

In reality, I built this rifle from the ground up, hand picked each of the components and then spent hours on the range determining which ammo, bullet, powder combination was needed to wring out the best accuracy and performance. Picked the pistol because I like the feel and heft of the CZ75. Called CGW and told the guy what I wanted to do with the pistol, match plus off duty carry. Installed his recommended parts and couldn't be happier with the results. My LGS has a little practical pistol match every odd Wednesday evening. 30 rounds max at 7-12 yards indoors. Great practice in moving and shooting tiny targets fast with both right and left hands.

Stage 1 threw me for a loop because I had never practiced running up to a shooting position and tried to engage the targets while having elevated BP and heart rate. This was not the same as what always happened when the buzzer went off. That will not happen again and will be incorporated into at least some of my practice sessions.

Old June 28, 2019, 15:17   #45
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
45 pounds!!!

"Itís hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."

"Your rationality is bounded by your dream."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2019, 18:01   #46
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
45 pounds!!!
And still counting. Hoping to be approaching my age when I get to your match

Old July 05, 2019, 10:18   #47
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Pics are up here:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/thegunru...88336121810965

Awesome pic of me shooting stage 5. I did pretty good on this stage. Looking at the pic, I can't believe how low to the ground I got. And felt comfortable doing it.

Old July 05, 2019, 12:28   #48
Tak
Registered

Nicely done! all that extra baggage you lost let you get down low Definitely cool action pic.

Perusing the pics looks like a great event. I did notice a Mini-14 in stainless. Maybe one day I will try that too.

But so far here is the best pic... the heat must have gotten to these guys after a long day

"We off to see the Wizard! The wonderful Wizard of Oz!"
Old August 14, 2019, 11:38   #49
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

This just in - - A video of the the GunRun RNG from Gun Stuff TV. This video was in episode 15 and can be viewed on many of the streaming video services out there. Or you can click this link and watch this ~15 minute video.

https://vimeo.com/352461564

Of course they got me in the video right at the opening credits just after I crossed the finished line and reported in. And at the ending credits I am there still looking whipped after spending the rest of the day R/Oing stage 4. JCORNSS was also in the video coming out of the water hazzard and shaking off the excess. It is a good shot of his FAL slung over his back.