The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > FALaholics Anonymous > FAL Groups > Oregon

Notices

Old June 24, 2018, 19:43   #501
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Great times indeed. Our travelers were a welcome addition.
Our daily visitors were even entertaining.

Through the hard work of many, this gets done.
May it continue for many years.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018, 20:15   #502
Tailback
Registered

FALaholic #: 26070
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijinsamurai View Post
My wife, daughter, and I had a fantastic time. It was great to meet new people, and see old friends again after a two year absence.

Thanks, Elkaholic, for setting my daughter Momoka up with the great shootin irons! And Thank you to 4x401, Brunop, Snowhawk, Otis, and everyone who worked hard to make it happen. Also, I really appreciate you putting the yellow tape out to mark the turns, 4x401.
Good seeing you again Andy. It was a pleasure meeting your Wife and Daughter. Momoka was really doing fantastic! I think she only had 1 or 2 misses with skinny Rich's rifle. I took a picture of her shooting that I will post up soon.

Last edited by Tailback; June 24, 2018 at 20:17. Reason: clarification
Tailback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018, 20:15   #503
Tailback
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan Raider View Post
Great times indeed. Our travelers were a welcome addition.
Our daily visitors were even entertaining.

Through the hard work of many, this gets done.
May it continue for many years.

Dilly Dilly!
Old June 24, 2018, 22:03   #504
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
I will make a proper post in this thread in a day or three when I can collect my thoughts and have some more time.

The "Cliff notes" of that upcoming post is that you "fart smellers" are an awesome group of people and we are blessed to have been there with you.

Thank you one and all
Old June 24, 2018, 22:27   #505
Tailback
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
We sleep in the shade, and shoot in the sagebrush. We're kinda smart fellers like that.
Hey, speak for yourself brunop!
Old June 24, 2018, 22:29   #506
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Sure wish I could have made it looks like a wonderful time with some great folks!

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018, 07:30   #507
gaijinsamurai
Registered

FALaholic #: 24362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailback View Post
Good seeing you again Andy. It was a pleasure meeting your Wife and Daughter. Momoka was really doing fantastic! I think she only had 1 or 2 misses with skinny Rich's rifle. I took a picture of her shooting that I will post up soon.
Great to see you again too, Darren!

My wife and daughter had a great time, and I'm thrilled beyond belief that Momoka has just about as much enthusiasm for guns as I do.
gaijinsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018, 09:10   #508
Boyle
Registered

FALaholic #: 78385
Had a fantastic time, big thanks to all who were involved with putting it on. You people are an amazing bunch to hang out with. Maybe a bit crazy, but ton of fun was had. Huge thanks to skinny Rich for the food.
Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018, 10:42   #509
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post

ETA: A mile out of camp, the.. ( ahem )...... trailer .... spit the left outer wheel bearing and sent the wheel passing by the truck a quarter mile.

.....crappy ending to the event.....

Holy crap. What a nightmare. Did Port-A-Potty R-US come get their trailer?

What happened?
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018, 10:44   #510
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Great event as usual. I'm grateful to hang out with such a fantastic group of human beings who can *also* handle guns safely and competently.

This past weekend is one of the highlights of the year. Thanks everyone.

Edit to add:

Also, see new thread with match results as I have them so far.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
Old June 25, 2018, 15:12   #511
Mark-60
Registered

FALaholic #: 77887
Quote:
Mark-60 those are some GREAT photos. I can see why you have such a nice camera because you have the eye for it.
Thank you Sir. I try.

Mark-60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018, 15:26   #512
snowhawk jockey
Registered

FALaholic #: 14239
Quote:
Holy crap. What a nightmare. Did Port-A-Potty R-US come get their trailer?

What happened?
What a shoot. We really got the hook into a few next Gen kids: Flypaper wood wiffed by dad and stolen by son, Ryno and the MGs, Momoku on the big guns, Jackson on the 3gun and Olli hitting the 100 popper with his lever gun.

I am waiting to hear back from Porta potty maintenance if he wants to hand me the parts and I put the wheel on, or if they want to roll out with the service truck and do it. Should hear back in the next hour.
Old June 25, 2018, 15:56   #513
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
I am waiting to hear back from Porta potty maintenance if he wants to hand me the parts and I put the wheel on, or if they want to roll out with the service truck and do it. Should hear back in the next hour.
That left spindle is plastered in dirt on grease. .

2 cans of brake cleaner and 5 rags might get it done.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018, 16:23   #514
Elkaholic
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34966
Honestly, For liability reasons i would make them fix it

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
What a shoot. We really got the hook into a few next Gen kids: Flypaper wood wiffed by dad and stolen by son, Ryno and the MGs, Momoku on the big guns, Jackson on the 3gun and Olli hitting the 100 popper with his lever gun.

Elkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018, 16:55   #515
snowhawk jockey
Registered

FALaholic #: 14239
Good point, skinny... I hope they come to the same conclusion!

Eta: Jeff at the toilet company apologized that we had difficulty and said he would take care of it. Hope they catch it before the grader does...

Last edited by snowhawk jockey; June 25, 2018 at 21:49.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018, 11:44   #516
Boyle
Registered

FALaholic #: 78385
Dave had a little trouble getting home. He asked me before I left if I wanted him to follow me home. I said no I'm Good, and left before he did. He caught up to me somewhere before Madras, we both stopped at the rest stop just north of Madras. He asked me again if I want him to follow me, I said I'm Good, go ahead. We get to Grass Valley, Dave pulls over, so I stopped. He is having problems. SO I follow him home. Once we got to the Gorge about 80 miles from home, There is Dave once again. So I stayed close behind him the rest of the way home. Dave has to pull over every 5 to 10 miles, turn off his rig and restart it. Dave got really fast about pulling over\restarting and on the go again. Dave worried about me in my 1980 CJ5, but I end up following him in his 2000 something making sure he got home. What are friends for anyway huh.
Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018, 11:55   #517
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
That will teach him not to borrow the wife's vehicle.

" No cigars allowed "

Bah !

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018, 14:01   #518
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

We made it home....

Sandy beaches to snowy mountains.
Rivers & waterfalls to miles of desert.
One hundred foot tall pines to sagebrush.
Sea lions to elk.
Hiking up & down trails at a 45 degree angle to sitting around a campfire in the sand.
The history of the Lewis & Clark expedition’s “end zone” to more tatted, pierced, purple dreadlocked millennials than you can shake a stick at.

Astoria, Ft Clatsop, the Pacific coast & Umpqua river valley (with countless stops to walk trails on both), Crater Lake, Timberline lodge, Columbia River gorge at Hood River, fishing the Willamette River with Rich’s Dad. Oregon is definitely one of the most diverse states in our great nation! This was not our typical vacation destination, but WOW we had an awesome week!

Then we get to the best part……

What a great gathering of good people for this OR shoot. A perfect balance of “just a bunch of guys out shooting” mixed with just the right amount of professionalism from “management” and peer pressure to ensure safety at all times. Terry, Jeff, and “skinny Rich” bent over backwards to help us out with logistics. The match coordinators of the various events were simply incredible. Many others did so much for us as well, but I am hesitant to even begin to name all the names as I might leave one out. I will just say that everyone attending added value to our experience there.

Blondzilla and I thank you one and all. You are a great bunch of people
Old June 26, 2018, 15:46   #519
Tuscan Raider
Registered

Good having you there. You both have a great
sense of humor.

Glad the whole trip went well.
Don’t forget about us.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Old June 26, 2018, 16:27   #520
Elkaholic
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34966
Come on man!!! I want some fishing pictures, All I know is that I found a fish scale on Ringo (My Dads dog)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Sea lions to elk.
Hiking up & down trails at a 45 degree angle to sitting around a campfire in the sand.
The history of the Lewis & Clark expedition’s “end zone” to more tatted, pierced, purple dreadlocked millennials than you can shake a stick at.

Astoria, Ft Clatsop, the Pacific coast & Umpqua river valley (with countless stops to walk trails on both), Crater Lake, Timberline lodge, Columbia River gorge at Hood River, fishing the Willamette River with Rich’s Dad. Oregon is definitely one of the most diverse states in our great nation! This was not our typical vacation destination, but WOW we had an awesome week!

What a great gathering of good people for this OR shoot. A perfect balance of “just a bunch of guys out shooting” mixed with just the right amount of professionalism from “management” and peer pressure to ensure safety at all times. Terry, Jeff, and “skinny Rich” bent over backwards to help us out with logistics. The match coordinators of the various events were simply incredible. Many others did so much for us as well, but I am hesitant to even begin to name all the names as I might leave one out. I will just say that everyone attending added value to our experience there.

Elkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018, 16:44   #521
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Quote:
Sea lions to elk.

Holy Cow. Oregon has all that???!!!!
And NO SALES TAX.

The truth does not require your belief.
Exit308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018, 17:59   #522
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Mike -

It was super cool having you here. See you in September at Stimpy's place!

Glad it went well. Come back soon, y'hear?
Old June 26, 2018, 18:00   #523
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit308 View Post
Holy Cow. Oregon has all that???!!!!
And NO SALES TAX.
Fuggin' income tax of 10% sucks the BIG ONE.

If I were you, I'd live in Vancouver and shop across the river in Portla...

oh, wait. Nevermind.
Old June 26, 2018, 18:56   #524
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Good having you there. You both have a great sense of humor.
She must have to put up with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic View Post
Come on man!!! I want some fishing pictures, All I know is that I found a fish scale on Ringo (My Dads dog)

Quote:
Mike -

See you in September at Stimpy's place!
Old June 26, 2018, 20:18   #525
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Quote:
Fuggin' income tax of 10% sucks the BIG ONE.

If I were you, I'd live in Vancouver and shop across the river in Portla...

oh, wait. Nevermind.
You got the income tax thing right.
It's not worth crossing the river for anything but big ticket items, and I'm pretty much done with them.

Can't buy guns, land or cars without paying the sales tax here. Oh well. At least I'm out of reach of the maniacs in Seattle regarding their Transit Excise Tax on License plate tags. My 2 cars were costing over 1k/year for tags. Fuggem.

The truth does not require your belief.
Exit308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2018, 12:12   #526
otis61
Registered

FALaholic #: 26667
I have two scores for Tat2. The second one was his bolt gun. For some reason I got side tracked and forgot to write down what rifle he shot his first score with. I was thinking it was an AR with optics, but not sure.

Does anyone remember?
Old June 27, 2018, 12:34   #527
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

I wasn't there. I don't remember anything.
Old June 27, 2018, 14:17   #528
Tat2
Registered

FALaholic #: 52329
Quote:
Originally Posted by otis61 View Post
I have two scores for Tat2. The second one was his bolt gun. For some reason I got side tracked and forgot to write down what rifle he shot his first score with. I was thinking it was an AR with optics, but not sure.

Does anyone remember?
FAL irons

T
Tat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2018, 14:42   #529
otis61
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2 View Post
FAL irons

T
Ok Great!!!
Old June 27, 2018, 19:19   #530
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

I just now unloaded the gun case I flew home with. Apparently my penchant for running guns "wet" mixed with East OR pumice dust is not a good mix. It took more than a little bit of effort just to pull the empty mag back out of the 1911.

There will be a good disassembly of not only guns but several mags as well sometime over the weekend. I have some trigger work I want to try on that particular FAL and the forecast here is for rain this weekend, so hopefully I will get that all done.
Old June 28, 2018, 01:41   #531
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

^

You can't run 'em wet in the winter over there, either - even when the snow is covering up the pumice.

8* F will turn that 'wetness' into a gel or gummy bit that keeps is from running right.

I've still got to clean all my guns, too.
Old June 28, 2018, 17:53   #532
otis61
Registered

It was super fun this year, well every year. I was really glad I could get Chris to go. Even though he beat me. Twice. And got the stock set.

Old June 29, 2018, 12:49   #533
Tailback
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis61 View Post
It was super fun this year, well every year. I was really glad I could get Chris to go. Even though he beat me. Twice. And got the stock set.

We all have to pass the torch to the next generation eventually. Seeing Chris there was cool. Jonathan is doing very well. Jimmy is getting some life lessons only the USMC can provide. Andy's Daughter Momoka did extremely well with skinny Rich's AR and with her 10/22 over on the pistol range. Ollie was scary good with his 10/22 also. The California contingent's son did great also. He also has a thing for marshmallows. OK?

Just a public service announcement. Don't get near Ron when he has a ketchup bottle in his hand. My wife while doing laundry said to me just 15 minutes ago, "What the hell is all over your shirt"? Enough said.

Last edited by Tailback; June 29, 2018 at 16:30. Reason: spelling
Tailback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2018, 13:29   #534
sportsnut
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3817
[QUOTE=

Just a public service announcement. Don't get near Ron when he has a ketchup bottle in his hand. My wife while doing laundry said to me just 15 minutes ago, "What the hell is all over your shirt"? Enough said. [/QUOTE]

That sucked! Sorry buddy.

Ron W.
sportsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2018, 13:33   #535
Tailback
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsnut View Post
That sucked! Sorry buddy.
Dude it's OK. I thought it was hilarious! I especially laughed at the Wife's reaction. Greg even commented before the King shot! BTW, got the traditional greeting home.
Old June 29, 2018, 15:34   #536
Tuscan Raider
Registered

Quote:
We all have to pass the torch to the next generation eventually. Seeing Chris there was cool. Jonathan is doing very well. Jimmy is getting some life lessons only the USMC can provide. Andy's Daughter Momoka did extremely well with skinny Rich's AR and with her 10/22 over on the pistol range. Oskar was scary good with his 10/22 also. The California contingent's son did great also. He also has a thing for marshmallows. OK?

Just a public service announcement. Don't get near Ron when he has a ketchup bottle in his hand. My wife while doing laundry said to me just 15 minutes ago, "What the hell is all over your shirt"? Enough said.
You wife does your laundry.

Funny.

Ghandi

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Old June 29, 2018, 16:58   #537
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Many moons ago we were at a rental/vacation house as an extended family.

My brother Paul was walking down to the basement with laundry. Jonathan was playing near the doorway downstairs. The conversation went like this:

Jonathan (aged 4): "Hey, Paul! Why don't you get Lara to do that for you?"

Paul: "Well, buddy, I can help out and do my own laundry."

Jonathan: "You're kidding, right?"

Old June 29, 2018, 16:59   #538
Tailback
Registered

Quote:
You wife does your laundry.

Funny.

Of course. Laundry, housecleaning, and making sandwiches. It's what they're supposed to do. It's in the bible somewhere.
Old June 29, 2018, 17:02   #539
Tailback
Registered

Quote:
Jonathan: "You're kidding, right?"

I swear I didn't see your post until after I wrote my reply!
Old June 30, 2018, 07:33   #540
sportsnut
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3817
Quote:
Dude it's OK. BTW, got the traditional greeting home.

Ditto!!

Ron W.
sportsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 01, 2018, 10:56   #541
otis61
Registered

Quote:
We all have to pass the torch to the next generation eventually. Seeing Chris there was cool. Jonathan is doing very well. Jimmy is getting some life lessons only the USMC can provide. Andy's Daughter Momoka did extremely well with skinny Rich's AR and with her 10/22 over on the pistol range. Ollie was scary good with his 10/22 also. The California contingent's son did great also. He also has a thing for marshmallows. OK?
Yes. All good stuff!!!

Last edited by brunop; July 01, 2018 at 12:14. Reason: fix quote code
otis61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 01, 2018, 14:23   #542
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Apparently my penchant for running guns "wet" mixed with East OR pumice dust is not a good mix. It took more than a little bit of effort just to pull the empty mag back out of the 1911.
Yes those are bits of sand mixed with pebbles and a few small rocks

Old July 01, 2018, 16:46   #543
Tuscan Raider
Registered

Quote:
Yes those are bits of sand mixed with pebbles and a few small rocks

Dropped your mags during 3 gun, right?

Ghandi

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Old July 01, 2018, 17:06   #544
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Too. Much. Lubrication.
Old July 01, 2018, 17:17   #545
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Dropped your mags during 3 gun, right?
Yup!

Terry handed that one back to me after the run with a comment about it
Old July 01, 2018, 17:19   #546
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
Too. Much. Lubrication.
Blondzilla says there is no such thing
Old July 01, 2018, 17:43   #547
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Blondzilla says there is no such thing
Well,,,

We're obviously talking Apples and Peaches....