The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > General Information > Reference and Data Section: a FAL FAQs and Library

Notices

Old May 20, 2007, 15:25   #51
Northwoods
Registered

FALaholic #: 18469
I have a metric mag with a white paint stripe around it with black paint over that. Type 1 side tabs. Follower is a 1 Trials mag in unfinished steel. Floor plate is a steel FN X2E1 marked OBO362. I have some good pics I can Email. I would swap this mag for a good inch mag if anyone wants it.
Bruce
Old May 20, 2007, 18:11   #52
Falcon
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2049
I'll swap you, pm sent.
Old May 20, 2007, 20:15   #53
Northwoods
Registered

FALaholic #: 18469
What can you tell me about the mag?
Thanks Bruce
Old May 20, 2007, 22:13   #54
Falcon
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2049
The magazine belongs to the FN EX1 series rifles that Canada adopted in 1953 (they were the first country in the world to adopt the FAL rifle). The EX1 rifles were numbered OB001 through OB1700, the EX2 series picked up where they left off to OB2000. The magazine contract for these rifles amounted to 6,000 units, yours specifically was issued to rifle # OB0362.

I have built an EX1 from original parts (except receiver and a few small parts) and is rifle # OB1067. I would like to acquire the magazine for this rifle, if still possible.

Here is a picture of my rifle...

Old September 22, 2007, 14:49   #55
outta_ammo
Registered

FALaholic #: 30918
Strange mag base

I have one metric mag that has a completely different base arrangement - the body has lips the bend out and the base wraps around them and has a release button - hard to explain, but please see the pics and tell me if this is an unusual type.

Body, base and follower aer marked: 9600017 MTY 59

Exotic, or aftermarket junk?

Thanks!
outta_ammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2007, 19:42   #56
NZ L1A1 Collector
Moderator & Collectaholic

FALaholic #: 45
Re: Strange mag base

Quote:
Originally posted by outta_ammo
I have one metric mag that has a completely different base arrangement - the body has lips the bend out and the base wraps around them and has a release button - hard to explain, but please see the pics and tell me if this is an unusual type.

Body, base and follower aer marked: 9600017 MTY 59

[Exotic, or aftermarket junk?

Thanks!
Your magazine is a British made L2A1 20 round mag manufactured by "The Mettoy Co. Ltd" in 1959. If it has a metric 'beak' then the magazine has been converted for use in a FAL rifle.

Quite a few magazines were converted in Rhodesia.
Old September 22, 2007, 20:33   #57
outta_ammo
Registered

FALaholic #: 30918
Thanks Kevin! That makes perfect sense, when I look at the latch area I can see the outline of the previous inch lug attach point.

This is WAY more fun than ARs...
outta_ammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2008, 12:39   #58
roster228
Registered

FALaholic #: 37932
I have identified most of my magazines, one though Im not so sure about. It has the number "7108" on the front about half an inch above the floor plate.

Most of the rest seem to be South African. I have one unmarked mag that must be from some South American country as it has a spanish name scratched in the side.
roster228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2009, 08:26   #59
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
MAG COLLECTIBILITY

Are FAL mags collectible? Or are there so many of the commonly found ones out there that only a uniquely marked one would command a premium? How does swapping out the floorplates with "MADE IN USA" marked ones affect mag collectibility? Is a mag with the original floorplate worth more than one with the replacement floorplate?
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2009, 22:50   #60
NZ L1A1 Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by roster228
I have identified most of my magazines, one though Im not so sure about. It has the number "7108" on the front about half an inch above the floor plate.

Most of the rest seem to be South African. I have one unmarked mag that must be from some South American country as it has a spanish name scratched in the side.
7108 is found on South African made mags, I have one marked '7711'.
Old June 21, 2009, 23:03   #61
NZ L1A1 Collector

Re: MAG COLLECTIBILITY

Quote:
Originally posted by SPEEDGUNNER
Are FAL mags collectible? Or are there so many of the commonly found ones out there that only a uniquely marked one would command a premium? How does swapping out the floorplates with "MADE IN USA" marked ones affect mag collectibility? Is a mag with the original floorplate worth more than one with the replacement floorplate?
Yes some FAL mags are collectible in their original condition, the problem is like you said there are a lot of mags out there and generally people are unaware of what version of magazines they might have.

The earlier mags are collectible for serious collectors, if you want quality shooting mags then you would be better to get the latter mags that have wide tapered bottom tabs. These date from post 1961/2 onwards and all the kinks have been ironed out of the mags by then.

Personally for me (as a collector).... any mag with replaced US MADE parts is worthless. If its in original condition, then it would depend on what version/type of mag it is to determine the value of it.
Old December 13, 2009, 11:38   #62
kuffaar
Registered

FALaholic #: 49792
Here's a couple photo's I took of the four mags I have; great thread. Being a neophyte FALaholic, I had no idea, there were a zillion different type mags! And thanks to Strike Penguin I discovered one and two are israeli marked on the side of mag body; no other marks found. #3 came with the imbel kit I'm currently putting together; my first build. Mags are kept in the same order in all photos. What a terrific site this is, a wealth of information. I hope my meager contribution is useful.

Old December 13, 2009, 19:34   #63
Windustsearch
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 10219
These are all marked Israeli, characters inside the oval.

Windustsearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2010, 08:55   #64
Loski
Registered

FALaholic #: 54156
I have 4 mags all are well used and have no markings but have standard FN followers and tapered lugs they have all got various amounts of the blued finish the guy I got them from recons they are Belgian made
Old January 11, 2012, 11:52   #65
TNAndy
Computer Geek
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64986
I have ten metric magazines that came with two metric FALs.

Country of origin: Unknown, but both rifles were stamped with USA distributors (Laurel, MD & Secaucus, NJ). On the other hand, the original owner was a world traveller, so who knows where these mags came from?
Markings: None whatsoever that I can find on any of them.
Bottom Tabs: Tapered with narrow oval (#4 in original post photo)
Follower: Standard FAL-both ends of spring visible (#2 in post #17 photo)
Floor Plate: Three appear to have steel Israeli type 2 floor plates (bottom row, 2nd from left in diagram from post #35); the other seven have steel FN type 2 floorplates (top row, 3rd from left in diagram from post #35)

I noticed another subtle difference in the metric beak that might be hard to recognize without two side-by-side to compare. With the mag removed from the rifle, look at the beak from the muzzle point of view, not in profile from the top or side. The three Izzy mags have a semicircle outline in the sheet metal where the other seven have a conical outline.

All three Izzy mags have a flat, charcoal grey finish. (Is this "parkerized"?) The other seven have a satin black finish that more closely matches the rifle. Two of the Izzy mags are tight enough that they won't fall free from the rifle when I press the release. All but one of the others have enough play to pop out instantly, and that one falls out if I shake it.
TNAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2012, 13:26   #66
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
How's going on ten years, Kevin? Only non-zombie/resurrection thread in history that is still alive.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2012, 21:42   #67
NEWFNL1A1
Registered

FALaholic #: 43401
Ok to still add/ask on this thread?

I f finally dug my mags out....

Reading and looking at the pics and diagrams on the 1st page:

I have some std stuff:
Some Stg 58's + 1 Austrian w/ no witness holes (SG) blued
Some G-1's w/ the 1005 number (CDNN) Lable says FN
3 nice Izzys w/ the YN mark (parked and painted) (SG)
Plus some of nice un marked mags (CDNN)

....and then this one: (the Mystery Mag)

Body has narrow straight tabs like a #2 but w/ a #3 base plate but the narrow oval of a # 4 base plate.

Grey Park - stamped w/ a "B" and a "C with a line above it" on the back.

It also seems to have a

3. German G1 FAL magazine follower

Any ideas what it might be and a date range?

"Hell, Jack...the only thing worse than a politician is a child molester" - Sheriff Hank Pearson, Extreme Prejudice - (1987)
NEWFNL1A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 20:40   #68
Groza9

FALaholic #: 15326
This is one I found in my stash.
Standard metric pattern, front is stamped with the "UM" and "R-C 5-63", Rhodesian Constabulary, May '63?
It has an early German follower and unsure of the floorplate on it, overall about 85%.
Groza9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2013, 23:11   #69
Ironhandjohn
Registered

FALaholic #: 11561
I found a couple of interesting ones in a pile of mags I traded for today. There is one marked 'X2 E1', several with a sideways 'B' or a 'B' with a 'T' or a bar underneath the B, 2 converted inch mags, several metrics with an 'X' or 'I' on the spine, and 2 very nicely blued ones.

The blued mags have a shiny polished finish inside and out, some surface rust freckling, parked followers and floorplates, and no markings that I can find. The floorplates are different on each one so I'm wondering if they're Franken-mags.

I've got them taken apart and cleaning right now so I can't post pics. Can I get an answer on where the markings that I have found are from?

Thanks!

Last edited by Ironhandjohn; January 06, 2013 at 10:06.
Ironhandjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2013, 20:24   #70
Koyotejager
Registered

FALaholic #: 21280
I just found the 10 new aluminum mags I bought here a few years back. There in a thick oily plastic bag that was sealed until a few minutes ago.
Koyotejager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2013, 00:18   #71
oddcarl
Registered

FALaholic #: 64180
I'll throw my rock in the well.

I wish I could remember who I bought it from:

-Supposedly SA 30 rd. Parked, "Standard FAL" follwer. Larger tapered lips. I got the mag, and noticed the floor plate was in upside down. Take it out and turn it around, "Made in USA" . So no help on that front. Had a little of what I assume was the "baby poop". Very dark brown, but only one decent spot of it on the one side, which cracked, rubbed, and flaked off with use. No markings on the body or follower though.

- I have an Isreali mag I will dig out later.

-Supposedly Austrian mag that I got for a good deal at the gun show. No Markings, Standard follower, tapered floor-plate lips, steel FN type 2 floor-plate. Appears to have no park or bluing, just a slightly textured, eggshell finish black paint. Wore off really quick too on the edges, and where it contacts when inserting the mag.
oddcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2013, 12:58   #72
jimmbob
unreparated
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41144
Imbel Mag ID

Does anyone know how to differentiate an Imbel mag from the others?

How do they compare quality/dependability wise to the Belgian and Austrian mags?

Old February 05, 2013, 17:36   #73
Ironhandjohn
Registered

FALaholic #: 11561
X2 E1 Mag pics..

There is no evidence that this mag body ever had the big white stripe that I've seen on other EX1 mags, but it could have been refinished in the 70 years it's been floating around.

Do the floorplate and follower look like they're original pieces, or in the same time frame? I can't find any trace of a serial number, other than a '4' and a '5' below it on the spine, towards the bottom of the mag body.
Old May 06, 2013, 12:33   #74
IdleLayabout
Registered

FALaholic #: 69805
Here are mine. All steel, purchased in South Africa, suspect they are recoated ex SANDF mags, re-manufactured by Panzer Logistics.

1: 7095
2: M inside a U R-C 10-68
3: M inside a U R-C 4-69
4: M inside a U
5: No markings at all, no grinding visible

Second shot, same order, all appear to be standard followers.

IdleLayabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 02, 2018, 20:12   #75
MCASgt New River
Registered

FALaholic #: 34675
Yes, another thread revival! I told you all I'm here to learn. So, with that said, "Any chance the pictures could be updated from decades past so I can figure out what magazines I have?"

Thanks,
Mike in Biloxi

Last edited by MCASgt New River; June 02, 2018 at 20:40.
MCASgt New River is offline   Reply With Quote