Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old November 07, 2018, 17:55   #1
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Ideal ACOG for FAL

Interested to find out which of the dozens of models have you found to be ideal. Never shot one, but may be interested in replacing a Leupold VX-R. Input & experience appreciated.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2018, 18:01   #2
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
none. They sit too high, even with the special DSA receiver cover designed by Ed Verdugo.

But if you're ok with that . . .

I prefer the 3 or 3.5x over the 4x as the 4x is more picky on eye-relief.

The tiny 1.5?x will just clear a para rear on a DSA mount. Probably not on the slightly lower ARMS/MS+
Old November 07, 2018, 18:51   #3
goon
Registered

FALaholic #: 9673
A 4X ACSS - because I have one Iím thinking about selling lol.

Seriously, Iíd think about what you want the scope for first. The ACOG is known to be very durable, and it is very quick at close to intermediate range in my (limited) experience... but it gives up a bit on precision. Personally, I might want that little bit of precision back.

I didnít know that before I tried an ACOG - but now you do.
goon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2018, 18:55   #4
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Reach out to member NUTTZ if he does not see this and comment in the thread. He has shot one extensively on his riFALs and should be a good source of pros and cons.
Old November 07, 2018, 18:58   #5
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
PM sent.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2018, 20:38   #6
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Reach out to member NUTTZ if he does not see this and comment in the thread. He has shot one extensively on his riFALs and should be a good source of pros and cons.
We talked a bit at Stimpyís match in September. Itís one of the reasons Iím considering it.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Old November 07, 2018, 20:44   #7
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
none. They sit too high, even with the special DSA receiver cover designed by Ed Verdugo.

But if you're ok with that . . .

I prefer the 3 or 3.5x over the 4x as the 4x is more picky on eye-relief.

The tiny 1.5?x will just clear a para rear on a DSA mount. Probably not on the slightly lower ARMS/MS+
I didnít know Ed designed those. I have two of his GRSC scopes. He is a nice fella to talk with. Do they sit much higher than a 30mm scope on low rings & a DSA cover?

Old November 07, 2018, 22:10   #8
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuhlmann View Post
We talked a bit at Stimpyís match in September. Itís one of the reasons Iím considering it.
Cool! I knew you met him at Stimp's match, but he shot irons this year on his Dad's Argy so I did not know the ACOG came up in your conversation.

After I inadvertently switched from optics to irons in GA this year , I am considering the ACOG myself and look forward to how your thought process goes as you study on it
Old November 08, 2018, 07:39   #9
TxGunDawg
Registered

FALaholic #: 58435
Here's a good angle of a TA-33 sitting on top of a DSA cover.

I ran the same scope at the FAL match using an American Defense mount.

You may have seen it in September.

I don't mind the scope sitting a little high.

Here's a shot of the ACOG using a mount.

Last edited by TxGunDawg; November 08, 2018 at 14:13.
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 19:12   #10
Clonehead
Registered

FALaholic #: 27461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuhlmann View Post
Do they sit much higher than a 30mm scope on low rings & a DSA cover?
If the scope has long enough eye relief and can be pushed out beyond the rear sight, then yes, the scope will sit a bit lower than the ACOG. I have a TA31 mounted in the DSA ACOG mount on an L1A1, and as Gunplumber mentioned they have very limited eye relief, but even in the lowest ACOG mount available it sits higher than the rear sight. I also have a TA26 with ring mount on another FAL that has very long eye relief and sits as low as a scope in low rings...but it is only 1.5x. The nice thing about the ACOG is how light/compact they are.
Clonehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 22:29   #11
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
TA11 (3.5 power) or TA33 (3 power) with .308 reticle. Both are on DSA mounts cut for ACOG (which allows use of irons through hole in ACOG). DSA BRS Stock in the SA58 takes care of the high optic height issue.

TA11 is quite a bit heavier, which is why I went with TA33 for the RNG Carbine “Platform” (get out the pitchforks)!!!

Old November 09, 2018, 15:54   #12
tesoro
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80621
How far are you fellas shooting accuratly with the 3.5 - 4x Acogs? I've never shot with an Acog optic.
I actually like the idea of a high riding scope if it allows the irons to be used. Best of both.
Thanks
tesoro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2018, 18:35   #13
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Iíve taken the ACOGs out to 500 and 600 yards pretty regularly in prep for Run-N-Guns that requires shots at those distances. Sig MCX has a 4x ACOG and the RFB has a 3x TA33 like the DSA has on it above. My practice playlist on YouTube has quite a few range reports in there at these distances.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...-9xO0z7PFNBKph
Old November 10, 2018, 03:20   #14
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Good stuff Nuttzz.

Great Discussion and learning here, Thanks Gent's. The Acog is perfect for my area, Out to 500 and 600 meters/yards, is a long shot even out here in the high desert for practicality but there could be times where it is needed and even further, for that, I would pick up the Long Ranger, 7 Mag. out to 800 fairly easy.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018, 08:34   #15
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

And if you have the time to sit through my commentary to watch the longer videos, this YouTube playlist link lists all my Run N Gun after action videos where I put all these ďplatformsĒ to the test under stress. All have ACOGs and all the Run N Guns have stages ranging from close in engagement out to 200, 300, 500+ yards.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...OYCRhTuy2G4Iox
Old November 10, 2018, 15:21   #16
tesoro
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80621
Nuttz, I watched the FAL video. Impressive. Man that looks fun. Well done!
Question 1; how hard is it to focus with riFal turned sideways?
Question 2; what set up did you have for carrying your magazines? I liked how easily you got them out. I ask cause I just got some StG mag pouches. Seems I'll have to put ball glove oil on 'em and beat 'em with a bat to be of any use.
Thanks for the vids.
tesoro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018, 17:50   #17
lockjaw
Not a gimp RR 11B40 B4
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
I never cared for the 4X TA-01 or TA-31 ect. military issue ACOGS (I tried). The eye relief sucks on an AR, I (personally) wouldn't consider a TA-01 or TA-31 as an option on an FAL.

TA-11 in .308 (3.5x). You concede .5X of magnification and receive superior field of view and eye relief in return. No brainer for an FAL.
Old November 12, 2018, 21:46   #18
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesoro View Post
Nuttz, I watched the FAL video. Impressive. Man that looks fun. Well done!
Question 1; how hard is it to focus with riFal turned sideways?
Question 2; what set up did you have for carrying your magazines? I liked how easily you got them out. I ask cause I just got some StG mag pouches. Seems I'll have to put ball glove oil on 'em and beat 'em with a bat to be of any use.
Thanks for the vids.
ACOG from VTAC ports = Focusing isn’t an issue. Sight height (regardless of optics) is the biggest issue that comes into play. The higher you have your optic, the more canting is needed and you will have to (at distances around 75-100 yards and target size considerations) know your holdovers for the adjusted aiming point. There is a bunch of math you can do to figure it out or just learn to aim low left or low right depending on direction you cant your optic.

As for magazine pouches, I use HSGI Taco pouches for all my Run N Gun belts. They are nice because I can use all sorts of magazines and they offer great retention. Took the Commie Pinko Rifle out today for 5k of practice with 4 stages of fire and this is what the loadout looked like. I use this same Warbelt for the FAL and the RFB and it works great. I’ve used it with 5.56 magazines with the MCX too and just tightened the pouches up a little.

Old November 14, 2018, 00:50   #19
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Commie Pinko Gun?

Shit - that looks a *lot* more like a Bad Ass Ninja Rifle than anything the Commies could make.

And aren't magnified optics disallowed on Commie Pinko Rifles in OK unless they are original Commie Pinko Optics?
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of StalinĎs thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2018, 05:15   #20
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Commie Pinko Gun?

Shit - that looks a *lot* more like a Bad Ass Ninja Rifle than anything the Commies could make.

And aren't magnified optics disallowed on Commie Pinko Rifles in OK unless they are original Commie Pinko Optics?
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...97#post4657797