Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old January 20, 2015, 10:58   #1
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
Night vision rifle scopes

I am looking to get an education on night vision rifle scopes. There are differences in Gen 1,2 and 3 but what are they? Gen 3 is the most modern and I would image the best of the three types. There is very little information that I can find specially for the price tags these things are carrying. Thermal is way out there price wise, too far out for me.
What I am looking for is a good solid night vision system for coyotes. Ranges out to 500 yards either add on or stand alone.
Links to information would be most helpful.
I have checked out Optics Planet and the like but there is no real useful information.
Thanks!

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2015, 19:18   #2
Growler Gator
Registered

FALaholic #: 17677
Disclaimer: I am no guru on night vision but I have a few night scopes and some experience.

So there is Gen 1, 1+, 2, 2+, 3, 3+. Basically the higher the generation the more advanced the light intensifier tube it has inside, and the clearer the image you will get. Also, the higher the generation the higher the price, as you have seen. I don't know anything about thermal, I won't even comment.

I started with PVS-7's in the Army and then used PVS-14's a little. The PVS-7's are a helmet mounted unit and can't be put on a weapon. The PVS-14's can either be helmet mounted on put on a weapon. The downsides are: they only have 1x magnification, they have no reticle so you have to mount them behind another optic like an Aimpoint, they are recoil sensitive and work best on AR's (no .308), and they are expensive ($3,000+). Overall, not a good option for me.

Night scopes don't generally have a lot of magnification. For real long range night shooting snipers will mount a high end night optic like a PVS-29 in front of their normal optic. This is another very expensive option I didn't even consider.

When it came time for me to buy night vision I started simple and cheap. I bought a vintage 3.6x Gen 1 Russian NSPU 1PN34. They usually sell for $400-$700. I found it surprisingly effective and ended up buying another. I use them on AK's but hey would also work PSL's or SVD's. If you want to shoot coyotes at 500 meters these may not be good enough. I have only used mine up to 200 meters. It was in the woods though and there wasn't much light at that distance. If you are shooting in open fields you may get longer distances out of the Russian scopes.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381863

Just recently I wanted a night scope to fit on my FAL's and SCAR's. I looked at the PVS-4's which have 3.6x and which you can get in either Gen 2 or Gen 3. Then I found the TVS-5 which have 5.8x (designed for the M2 .50 cal). The TVS-5 is basically a PVS-4 with a HUGE objective lens for gather light at greater distances.

I ended up getting a Gen 2 TVS-5 from NAIT (nvsurplus09 on Ebay) for $1,100, the Gen 3's were too much, like $2,300-$2,500. It is HUGE, too big to move around with, but in a stationary position you might be able to shoot 500 meters. It gathers light up 1,200 meters. I haven't shot with mine yet so you'll have to stand by for an update.

TVS-5 on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gen-2-TVS-5-...item2edc415130

PVS-4 on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AN-PVS-4-Gen...item2c94a92af7

NAIT Website:
http://nait.com/products-page/

Last edited by Growler Gator; January 24, 2015 at 20:17.
Growler Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2015, 07:53   #3
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
Thanks! Great information! Some of these are huge!

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2015, 13:39   #4
Tailback
Registered

FALaholic #: 26070
What was the scope nomenclature for the M-60/M-240 medium machine guns? IIRC they had a pretty cool ranging reticle. Didn't get to play with them much since the brass didn't want them getting broke on a FTX. Only saw them during gunnery and usually we weren't even given time for a good zero.

I don't know what generation the tube was on the TVS-5 I used on the .50's but it worked fairly well. It was probably older since that was in the National Guard in the 1990's.
Old March 06, 2015, 04:33   #5
Digitaizen
Registered

FALaholic #: 75447
Thumbs up IMPO, the best Night Vision Scope for the buck is ..

Ok, so I did a lotta digging and researching before pulling trigger, had a friend buy & evaluate Gen 1 as an example and after dust settled, so to speak, the best for the buck and performance-wise is the Sightmark Photon XT 4.6x42S DIGITAL NV Riflescope (with LED, not laser) - boy this one gives me eyes in almost complete darkness (to human eye)! With additional infrared lighting (UNV-20IR, which by the way, you can build yourself for much-much less - google it) I can easily see beyond 250 yards. Not that I intend to shoot at that distance with that little of magnification especially at night. For less than $500 you get the performance of like Gen 2+ if not Gen 3! Read reviews, watch YouTube and see if you like what you see. I'm one happy hunter! Bagged many, many hogs. Also, Digital NV can be used at day time unlike regular NVs - big plus for me. Tips: use rechargeable batteries which last much longer than regular AAs - they last for hours, the whole evening hunt with on&off. If you do use additional lighting then set it a bit away from the optics as it tends to blind it a bit. Flash Suppressor matters much for NV - pick one that gets rid off the flash, otherwise your NV will go blind for a few precious seconds if you do follow up shots.
Digitaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 06, 2015, 10:39   #6
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitaizen View Post
Ok, so I did a lotta digging and researching before pulling trigger, had a friend buy & evaluate Gen 1 as an example and after dust settled, so to speak, the best for the buck and performance-wise is the Sightmark Photon XT 4.6x42S DIGITAL NV Riflescope (with LED, not laser) - boy this one gives me eyes in almost complete darkness (to human eye)! With additional infrared lighting (UNV-20IR, which by the way, you can build yourself for much-much less - google it) I can easily see beyond 250 yards. Not that I intend to shoot at that distance with that little of magnification especially at night. For less than $500 you get the performance of like Gen 2+ if not Gen 3! Read reviews, watch YouTube and see if you like what you see. I'm one happy hunter! Bagged many, many hogs. Also, Digital NV can be used at day time unlike regular NVs - big plus for me. Tips: use rechargeable batteries which last much longer than regular AAs - they last for hours, the whole evening hunt with on&off. If you do use additional lighting then set it a bit away from the optics as it tends to blind it a bit. Flash Suppressor matters much for NV - pick one that gets rid off the flash, otherwise your NV will go blind for a few precious seconds if you do follow up shots.
So if your friend bought a Gen 1 NV to compare how do you know that your Sightmark is equivalent to Gen 2+ to Gen 3?

I like to save $$ also so just asking. Thanks.
Old March 08, 2015, 09:59   #7
TOWS220
Registered

FALaholic #: 51208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailback View Post
What was the scope nomenclature for the M-60/M-240 medium machine guns? IIRC they had a pretty cool ranging reticle. Didn't get to play with them much since the brass didn't want them getting broke on a FTX. Only saw them during gunnery and usually we weren't even given time for a good zero.

I don't know what generation the tube was on the TVS-5 I used on the .50's but it worked fairly well. It was probably older since that was in the National Guard in the 1990's.
Was is the pvs-17 at that time?
Old March 25, 2015, 10:29   #8
one hand clapping
Registered

FALaholic #: 35299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitaizen View Post

Is it shock proof? have you used it on a FAL? Is it waterproof?
I am always intrested in learning morre-
Old March 25, 2015, 14:28   #9
jimmieZ
Registered

FALaholic #: 319
I'm no expert, but I went into the armed forces in 1968 and have some considerable experience with Vietnam-period equipment. I have 3 night vision scopes - 2 x AN/PVS-2A and 1 X Zeiss Ferro Z51. My two US scopes were 1990's rebuilds (from Gov't contractor) and give a very good sight picture when properly focused. Although they are a little "heavy" they work well and are very rugged. The Zeiss is US Property marked and is brand new, but I don't think the performance is much different than the US Starlight scopes. The AN/PVS-2 scopes cost me about $500 each - but came with M14 and M16 mounts. The Zeiss comes with 3 different kinds of mounts for various HK weapons. I found an AN/PVS-1 rail that fits the Zeiss so it mounts on the US M16 and M14 brackets.
jimmieZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015, 14:45   #10
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by one hand clapping View Post
Is it shock proof? have you used it on a FAL? Is it waterproof?
I am always intrested in learning morre-
Those PVS-4's are a pretty good price on Ebay. Rebuilt GEN 2. These are built to take the recoil of an M2.

Kinda big - built like a brick latrine and almost as shock proof.
Old March 26, 2015, 10:56   #11
one hand clapping
Registered

FALaholic #: 35299
Bug- Thanks,

But I was refering to the digital model described in the post. I already have a BIG gen 2 Ziess for my Izzie HB. and gen three pvs14 helmet mounted. for me and another comming next month for a son. I was thinking of the digital as a dedicated patrol NV scope. IF it would handle the recoil, of a FAL.
I just can't bring myself to go to an ar for that reason alone-Mabey when I'm a really old lady -
Old March 26, 2015, 11:26   #12
2barearms
Black Rifles Matter
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Quote:
Bug- Thanks,

But I was refering to the digital model described in the post. I already have a BIG gen 2 Ziess for my Izzie HB. and gen three pvs14 helmet mounted. for me and another comming next month for a son. I was thinking of the digital as a dedicated patrol NV scope. IF it would handle the recoil, of a FAL.
I just can't bring myself to go to an ar for that reason alone-Mabey when I'm a really old lady -
If stealth is needed the 'hunting' digital is useless without an IR torch. So far
the only thing that will 'see' in near total darkness are intensifier based systems.
There are some digital sensors coming but they won't be cheep. I got a quote
to build prototype 'see in the dark' cmos sensor, it was about 2.5 million
and it would take 18 months (even though they already built them for other
customers) wtf?

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015, 23:26   #13
Warbirds Custom Guns
BANNED

FALaholic #: 17522
Quote:
Bug- Thanks,

I was thinking of the digital as a dedicated patrol NV scope. IF it would handle the recoil, of a FAL.
I have used the Pulsar N750 & the Photon XT digital NV & both will handle up to 50bmg no problem.
You will need to run a better external IR but that's a cheap add on.

Warbirds Custom Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015, 09:32   #14
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Problem with some of the Gen 3 stuff is it can't handle the recoil of a .308. My Ferro was big and heavy (but not as big and heavy as the ELTRO!). Excellent value.

I'm thinking of a dedicated night vision scope for my bolt action with silencer. My buddy bought a Raptor and is happy (TNVC). For anything else, it's just a helmet mount PVS-14, with a .7mw IR OTAL for targeting.
Old December 22, 2015, 01:23   #15
Digitaizen
Registered

FALaholic #: 75447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Tussell View Post
So if your friend bought a Gen 1 NV to compare how do you know that your Sightmark is equivalent to Gen 2+ to Gen 3?

I like to save $$ also so just asking. Thanks.
Sorry, for late response, I suppose I got lost in the woods. ehh, I had to note in my original post that I haven't, to my recollection, tried Gen 2+ nor 3rd myself, but I've read enough and watched videoclips that give me an idea what these "new" digital sights could be compared to performance-wise. I love my Sightmark digital NV which feeds me when the game comes around and to update my review of it, here're some negatives about it I've found: at times the sight will turn off after a shot, especially it seems with a higher power/grain ammo; the battery indicator is not actual, that is, if I start using an additional external to the sight infrared torch, the battery level indicator drops down significantly which is, of course, bs - it perceives that additional lighting as internal use of the battery. Sightmark has got to fix that, it's a bit annoying to see the battery level almost depleted when it's not. Another small (not a deal-braker, by any chance) issue is a lens cap that tends to open after a few shots - it matters only if you are shooting at a daytime. Not a con, but I also wish it had more magnification power. As far as how waterproof it is, imo, it does not like to get wet: I had to return the 1st one because the screen went red after (maybe) I went hunting in the rain. There you go. Since then my buddy who had the same scope got another version of it with better magnification and laser-torch (which gives grainy image, imo), but it does cost $200 more for not much improvement. Hope this helps someone.
Digitaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2016, 14:22   #16
CavVet
Registered

FALaholic #: 3028
I sent Sightmark an email to see what their 1000G shock rating meant.
CavVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2016, 23:41   #17
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
http://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-Phot...+NV+Riflescope
Old February 04, 2016, 23:50   #18
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Problem with some of the Gen 3 stuff is it can't handle the recoil of a .308.

For anything else, it's just a helmet mount PVS-14, with a .7mw IR OTAL for targeting.
This^^^^

I've been looking into them lately as well, and after reading that most don't hold up well to recoil, I think I'm angling towards head/helmet mount NV. That will also allow use with multiple firearms. Just add your IR light to whatever gun you pick.
Old September 08, 2017, 02:24   #19
Lee8
Registered

FALaholic #: 80066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerider View Post
I am looking to get an education on night vision rifle scopes. There are differences in Gen 1,2 and 3 but what are they? Gen 3 is the most modern and I would image the best of the three types. There is very little information that I can find specially for the price tags these things are carrying. Thermal is way out there price wise, too far out for me.
What I am looking for is a good solid night vision system for coyotes. Ranges out to 500 yards either add on or stand alone.
Links to information would be most helpful.
I have checked out Optics Planet and the like but there is no real useful information.
Thanks!
Here are night vision scopes of latest 3rd generation atncorp.com/thermal-scope-thor-hd , I think the biggest difference hides in Obsidian thermal core, smaller size and lighter weight (very ergonomic devices).
Lee8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 08, 2017, 15:11   #20
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
I'm still curious about the recoil tolerance of these sights.

Seems like Thermal might be for detection, which would be better handheld in my not-at-all-expert opinion.

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=89
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 09, 2017, 21:25   #21
Riversidesports
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
I'm still curious about the recoil tolerance of these sights.

Seems like Thermal might be for detection, which would be better handheld in my not-at-all-expert opinion.
My opinion...

Folks tend to chat about the latest and greatest in NVDs in these conversations
That shit is insane money.
I have ran everything from a WWII Nazi Vampir to Korean War US M3s forward.

Early shit was all "active", meaning infared lit
upside you don't need any light
downside is everyone else with a NVD sees you.

Passives came out in the 60s, they magnified ambient light hence the term Starlight scope.
PVS1s were pretty bad however they did incorporate an adjustable recticle
PVS2 were far better but abandoned the adj reticle for a W/E adjustable base. Much of the Canuck and OZ top cover NVD bases were designed for PVS1s which mounted far lower.

The Zeiss Fero is a casacading tube...seriously a good value
another was the early S&W LE starlights. Those coupled custom German Zeiss glass with a superior American made tube. Technically they are Gen1 but perform better than most Gen2. Just be warned they are larger than an ANPVS 4

The 4's are pretty much affordable and can be had in both Gen 2 and 3
Have several Gen 2, one Gen 3. The 3 while much brighter isn't hardly a thousand bucks brighter.

I started playing back in the 90s using 2s vs 3s on 35mm cameras
just not much difference once film was developed.

You want small ?
bunch of Litton 845s out there, Gen 2 optic for the grand range
earlier you had Hyper Minis, much smaller than a 2 or a 4 but bad FOV

Thermals are stupid money for a real one
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017, 02:44   #22
Barbcue
Registered

FALaholic #: 5782
I know zilch about NV but am interested in a few scopes gen2+ units for AR's and FAL's

What does everyone think of the Litton MK845 MKII scopes on ebay ? they have 1.5x power and i believe 2.8x power models ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Litton-MK845....c100009.m1982

Seem much smaller than the PVS 4's

I think they are Israeli surplus ?

Or would the 4x power PVS 4 be a better option even if a little bigger ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AN-PVS-4-NAI...kAAOSwNuxXZA4B

both are priced basically the same REBURB condition seems the same as well ? "GOOD/CLEAN"

what's battery life on these surp gen2+ units like ? is one more efficient ?

Do they both run on standard AA's ?

Would the "newer" Digital Sightmark Photon XT 4.6x42S (linked to in an above post) for $500, be a superior optic to all the above except maybe in,, possibly,, durability ?

Last edited by Barbcue; September 10, 2017 at 03:05.
Barbcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017, 03:07   #23
NFADLR
SPANKY
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7480
AN/PVS-4 on the first AR pistol I ever built.

I'm now wishing I had never let that thermal vision scope get away from me, but at 1K It's not an easy choice to make truck payment or rifle scope.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407481

WTS: MINT FN FAL 50.63
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411469
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017, 03:12   #24
Barbcue
Registered

Damn its HUGE.. what does it weight ?
Old September 10, 2017, 10:32   #25
NFADLR
SPANKY
Bronze Contributor

Wikipedia says 4 lbs.

I'm without a scale that will measure that range, my puny PM scale only goes up to 2 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbcue View Post
Damn its HUGE.. what does it weight ?

Old September 10, 2017, 11:28   #26
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

That 845 looks like the prettier, slimmer sister of the PVS4 but the PVS4 is rated to 50 cal... (like that is a consideration for me..... )
Old September 10, 2017, 11:51   #27
NFADLR
SPANKY
Bronze Contributor

It also has some magnification where the anpvs14 does not and the anpvs14 will not withstand 308.

I'm thinking of putting this on my DSA riFAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Tussell View Post
That 845 looks like the prettier, slimmer sister of the PVS4 but the PVS4 is rated to 50 cal... (like that is a consideration for me..... )

Last edited by NFADLR; September 10, 2017 at 20:28.
Old September 10, 2017, 20:06   #28
Barbcue
Registered

im thinking

1.5x for an AR15 ?
2.8x for an FAL ?

Or would you guy advise the 2.8x versions and skip the 1.5x altogether ?
Old September 10, 2017, 22:26   #29
falmouth308
Registered

FALaholic #: 19133
I am thinking this.
http://www.jrhenterprises.com/FLIR-T...3WN9RX0011.htm
FLIR has now hit $2k for 30Hz! I can't see a PVS-14 would be a superior choice with the BOSON cores low power consumption and external bulk power capability. and connection to a PC.
Old September 10, 2017, 23:49   #30
Barbcue
Registered

Falmouth, is that FLIR Thermosight PRO PTS233 made by Sightmark ?

What about the Torrey Pines Logic T12-W thermal red dot ? claim is it can handle 12 gauge recoil

Seems interesting with an MSRP of $400 ,, 30 Hz for $700 ish ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2cz9wDsPTs

Heres an airsoft review of the T12 that actually shows it in some sort of use..:/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5m3SW3no44

Last edited by Barbcue; September 11, 2017 at 00:27.
Old September 11, 2017, 19:18   #31
falmouth308
Registered

FALaholic #: 19133
This item is marked as a FLIR Systems product. When the UPC was checked it shows as being Armasight Inc. Far down in the listing it actually says both. Not too sure. This may be one company with a retail name and the other for their commercial development. FLIR has the money to make their products rate higher in my score and they provide software upgrades when they become available. The sensor pitch is smaller than Tory Pines and the front end processor (flip side of chip) is where the work is done and this component has a 10 year warranty. The sensor serves the same purpose as the photo-multiplier on a ‘starlight’ scope so the warranty is an indication of the robust design.

https://www.barcodelookup.com/849815007817

If I could pay $700 and get the optical and digital zoom to put this as a fitting companion to a .308 caliber I surely would! This seems to be the closest design I would consider for the price points. Do not buy 10 Hz. This is too slow for refresh.
Old September 12, 2017, 12:05   #32
Barbcue
Registered

Falmouth ,

Where are you seeing that FLIR sight you are referring to for $700 ?,,

(Or were you referring to the Torry Pines offering for their 30Hz model ?)

If thats the going rate that would be the way to go.

Last edited by Barbcue; September 12, 2017 at 12:11.
Old September 12, 2017, 12:32   #33
NFADLR
SPANKY
Bronze Contributor

Is 30hz the standard refresh rate for thermal vision scopes ?

I hope not, that seems way too slow.

Old September 13, 2017, 21:56   #34
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Problem with some of the Gen 3 stuff is it can't handle the recoil of a .308. My Ferro was big and heavy (but not as big and heavy as the ELTRO!). Excellent value.

I'm thinking of a dedicated night vision scope for my bolt action with silencer. My buddy bought a Raptor and is happy (TNVC). For anything else, it's just a helmet mount PVS-14, with a .7mw IR OTAL for targeting.
Heck, I broke a Z-51 with a 308 ages ago.

Course it was just the dimmer shade, but still.

I have an ATN Th0r 8x I will be testing on a 308 at some point.

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"The game is worth the candle...always been."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote