The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old June 04, 2017, 23:13   #1
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
How will collectibility change with demographics?

I got to thinking today you don't see many gun collectors under the age of 50 or 60. I mean there are younger people with lots of guns but they typically aren't as interested in the really collectible stuff. G series, Sar etc. As this boomer generation ages and dies off do you think the prices of these collectibles will fall?
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 05, 2017, 07:11   #2
2barearms
Black Rifles Matter
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falfan2017 View Post
I got to thinking today you don't see many gun collectors under the age of 50 or 60. I mean there are younger people with lots of guns but they typically aren't as interested in the really collectible stuff. G series, Sar etc. As this boomer generation ages and dies off do you think the prices of these collectibles will fall?

Yes. There is very little interest at the gun shows. I stopped taking parts to
shows a while back. Most of the good stuff sits on tables and gets beat up bringing back and forth.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 05, 2017, 08:27   #3
skinnydash
Registered

FALaholic #: 79317
That's what I'm hoping for because I have holes to fill in my collection.
skinnydash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 05, 2017, 08:36   #4
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Quote:
Doubtful. Limited supply almost never equates to limited demand. It I were a betting man, I'd say you'll never be able to retire by selling your collection of kit FALs, but you'll never lose money. One good summer blockbuster and who knows where prices will go. Look what one dumb TV show did to the price of Colt Pythons.

Prices may have slowed a bit, but original collectibles will always go up in price. I have a 1917 Enfield, a high numbered 1903 springfield and a Remington Rand 1911 that I paid something like $275, $350 and $500 respectively for back in the mid 1990s at the same NJ gun shop. All of the WWI and most of the WWII and Korean War generation are gone, but Gen X'ers like me are easily willing to pony up 3X or more for those guns now because they are original finish untouched pieces of history. Most of the old guns at shows around here are beater guns, the bottom of the barrel. Shooter grade Garands are selling for $800.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; June 05, 2017 at 08:42.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 05, 2017, 09:59   #5
Riversidesports
Registered

FALaholic #: 36091
I kinda get a wee bit of a chuckle over the notion of radically falling prices on most C&R military.
Over 40 odd years I have seen it go no where but up and up and much of that was due to younger accumulators buying.

There are areas where guns have significantly fallen in value recently.
For example Drillings that were two or three grand in the 80s are hard to move at half that today.
What's happened is the main collectors simply aged out & died off. Young guys largely demand new plastic trash.

Decent quality Mauser sporters go no where. Last year Pops picked one off a vendor for a mere $125.00 !
That was built on a 98' Action, rebarreled with a commercial 06' barrel and in new wood...
Crazy, you couldn't buy the action alone for that but the guy was old and sick of getting low balled. Dad asked how much...give me $125.00
Just beautiful custom build too, he gave it to one of my Cousin's boys.

Every younger guy seems to want factory new guns these days that are all Tactical and shit.

There's been a slow down turn in some Cowboy Gun pricing

Certain muzzle loaders have about imploded in value
back through the 90s I was pulling around a grand on clean original examples
the main buyers simply died off. Today same guns...half of that.

Conversely some guns have went insane.
Radom pistols are one example. In the 90s late war production in cherry shape was around $150, today over a grand.
CZ pistols ?
Nobody wanted CZ24s, 27s or 38s. Today they are right up there.

As far as the high dollar FALs
Well ask yourself this...
How many twenty to thirty year olds are about driving a vintage Jaguar XKE or Ferarri Dino ?
They just have not reached that point where they have that level of disposable income for the most part. Those cars won't fail much in value.

High school buddy and I were discussing the car angle on this the other day over a few beers. He heavily lamented his vehicle investments. Guy has two nice MGBs, they have remained static in $$$ value since he bought them in the late 80s after driving one of mine.
Back then I was buying every junker muscle car and hauling it out to my boneyard. Crap like early GTOs, 442s, Buick GSs, Cameros, Mustangs, Mopar, etc...have well over an acre covered with rust and a pole barn full of old British motorcycles. This was dirt cheap back then, many folks sent them to the crusher. Today my rust is likely worth roughly a million bucks.
Friends thought I was damn silly doing this at the time.

As far as the boomer BS
there's a bit of a curve with demographics
What you say of young folks today was true of boomers when they were young too. There were not that many who had high end collections. That didn't start to occur with them until income increased and most of them were never interested in Double rifles, Three barrel guns, etc. The guys into that hobby were mostly WWII vets.

I have been telling young guys for a few years now to start buying that highly devalued high end Euro sporting crap now. You see a clean Dreiling at a show and you can get it $1500 or less, jump on it as I believe they will rebound over the next five to ten years. Cripes you couldn't even get the engraving done today for the price some are asking on very nice guns.

In doing so I have managed to create a few younger collectors of this crap which was part of my aim.

In my opinion Guns are far more mainstream today then they were in the 70s which I yes lived through.
Maybe 30% of the ticket sales at shows now are to Females and a great many are buyers. Back in the 70s & 80s women were just absent as walk throughs. Shit I used to bring my 19 yo GF along, 5'11 blonde, 125# 36DD and Men couldn't stay away from my tables

Factory FN FALs are not going to ever drop in value
neither will SIG AMTs, etc.
the numbers imported were pretty scant

Some AKs might...
They are currently in a bubble in my opinion...particularly the post ban era Chinese MAK90s and Maddi ARMs

A1 AUGs for example are still holding a big premium over the new Styer AUGs.

One factor that may impact things is the general limp wristed sissification of young American Men.
Think about that Every time you read some homo complaint that a FAL is "too heavy" or similar whines about 1911s, Hi Powers, CZ75s or other all steel side arms. I'm like all WTF ?
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 05, 2017, 11:04   #6
Riversidesports
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
Doubtful. Limited supply almost never equates to limited demand. It I were a betting man, I'd say you'll never be able to retire by selling your collection of kit FALs, but you'll never lose money. One good summer blockbuster and who knows where prices will go. Look what one dumb TV show did to the price of Colt Pythons.

Prices may have slowed a bit, but original collectibles will always go up in price. I have a 1917 Enfield, a high numbered 1903 springfield and a Remington Rand 1911 that I paid something like $275, $350 and $500 respectively for back in the mid 1990s at the same NJ gun shop. All of the WWI and most of the WWII and Korean War generation are gone, but Gen X'ers like me are easily willing to pony up 3X or more for those guns now because they are original finish untouched pieces of history. Most of the old guns at shows around here are beater guns, the bottom of the barrel. Shooter grade Garands are selling for $800.
Straight truth Impala Man. I know Twenty somethings who will gladly spin out big $$$s for clean C&R.

Yeah Pythons went stupid but still not as bad as S&W M29s did in the 70s during the Dirty Harry craze. That was nuts. $200 odd dollar pistols were fetching over $600.00 USED !

Both Beretta 92s and Styer A1 AUGs went a bit stupid after the 1st Die Hard as did HK94s.

Show guns vary wildly.
We run the gamut...everything from solid frozen with rust to multi thousand dollar items. Truthfully most business is with other vendors who mark things up.

The real high end is eye candy, living history & a chance for common folk to handle retardedly spendy items. I'll be blunt and factual. The vast majority of walk throughs don't even have a couple hundred in the wallet. Don't know how many times some character has spied something he never thought he would find with us and has to hit an ATM.

Way I run it is maybe a third of whats displayed I never figure on selling at a show, it's window dressing & bait. I mean really...will I ever sell a 25mm Manville at a show ?
Not likely Impala but the ear to ear shit eating grins I see on People and their kids having the chance to touch and feel is damn cool.

I don't bring much new to shows, parts or otherwise. It's not the transit that wears it up so much as assclowns finger banging everything. I have dozens of 2.5 gallon rubbermaid tubs packed with mixed parts. At any given show that's the majority of sales for us. Truth is very few folks sell parts and that crap these days Not at my scale anyways.

Sometimes I just give bits away, chipped up butt plates, springs, loose screws. Often the giftee ends up buying cash later.

Frankly I detest many people at shows, crazy thing is often the most respectful are the youngsters over 5 yo...

Folks need to understand you have characters that are professional Garage salers. They buy from other sales, mark up and resell in their own garage.
Quite a few vendors at shows are of a similar ilk, myself included.
If I can't at least easily double my investment under 1K I don't buy
Now as the money increases I am willing to accept 50 or even 25% returns as even that's getting into serious $$$s

Gun shows are really getting annoying with all the mobile Gun shops selling nothing but new guns. These days that's over 60% of vendors at your average show.
Understand in the 70s Gun shows were mostly non FFLs, quite a few shows we set up at way back then my Pops was the ONLY FFL in the building !
Old June 05, 2017, 11:40   #7
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
There is all kinds of crap selling at high prices around me.
Old June 05, 2017, 13:18   #8
Riversidesports
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsuta View Post
There is all kinds of crap selling at high prices around me.
And it's always been highly regional Mebuta...

Internet did change that somewhat however many folks still are NOT online.
Old June 05, 2017, 13:21   #9
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
I will agree that

1. Price for most of the stuff is only going to go up esp for no longer made etc stuff ..No matter what just less of it out there + many source of some stuff in the EU or the such passing more gun laws making it harder to get
2. That a lot of younger people are prob getting out of esp more wood and steel guns unless it is say a COD gun ..

I like the old stuff persoanl.. My only cavaet is I need to be able to find ammo to shoot with it as I dont re load ..So some of the weirder stuff will be saved for another time
pre1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 05, 2017, 14:17   #10
Riversidesports
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre1989 View Post
I will agree that

1. Price for most of the stuff is only going to go up esp for no longer made etc stuff ..No matter what just less of it out there + many source of some stuff in the EU or the such passing more gun laws making it harder to get
2. That a lot of younger people are prob getting out of esp more wood and steel guns unless it is say a COD gun ..

I like the old stuff persoanl.. My only cavaet is I need to be able to find ammo to shoot with it as I dont re load ..So some of the weirder stuff will be saved for another time
Younger folks are still growing in tastes though pre1899...

I can't call myself normal
I had maybe 50 guns by High school graduation and most were pistols
in the 70s side arms were mostly seen as really evil.

My actual First gun was a S&W 1 & 1/2 .32 I found in an abondoned home and learned to load with buckshot. Shot many animals in the yard, mostly larger rodents. Used a nail to punch out the primer. This was at SEVEN
Yeah a seven year old wandering around with a top break shooting wild animals in the parents yard.
Old June 05, 2017, 15:04   #11
VALMET
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
I'm 35 and have been buying, trading, shooting, collecting firearms of various types since the late-1990s and while I have lots of friends that "like guns" and shoot, they don't have as much interest in the higher-end pre-ban stuff (Gs, early HKs, Valmets, etc). They'll spend $4k on a SCAR with optics or another more modern military type firearm but wouldn't consider it on a Belgian FN or an AK variant like a Valmet, Galil, Polytech Legend, etc...

While I don't necessarily see prices "falling," I do sometimes wonder where lots of this stuff might end up in 15-30 years?
Old June 05, 2017, 16:00   #12
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Just opinion but I believe it takes a salesman to sell collectables. For instance the Colt SAA has been around since 1873 and demand today is bigger than production. If you can find a new one it's $1500 + and there are plenty of people out there working on them because you can still find parts.

What is going to kill collectors is Colt, Ruger and Smith won't supply parts or service for their double actions. Imagine you buy a $3000 gun and it breaks when you shoot it. Damn few smith's work on Colt pythons or any Colt double actions. I like to shoot my guns but it can get really costly if you shoot that old Smith and it breaks. Smith won't sell parts now for old models so it's used parts from a gunsmith.

Boomers are dying off and lots of nice collections being sold off but it seems to be the old guys buying them. Guys with money and have been around enough to know a quality gun. Heck the young guys don't even want revolvers now, just the latest greatest plastic wonder nine.
Old June 05, 2017, 19:22   #13
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I'm getting good prices for my stuff. I sell a smattering of everything. Of course, buying good helps with selling good. I am about to start selling a collection of Civil War era revolvers such as Star's, Whitney's and Cooper's that I literally paid a couple of hundred bucks ea for at an auction a few weeks back. I bought some stuff I never heard of such as the Bavarian Werder that I have on GB now. C&R military rifles are selling well, Enfields and Mausers keep climbing as do 1903's. I have a couple of younger guys locally in their 20's who are interested in C&R's. So overall, I think the interest is still there, it just changes in taste.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 05, 2017, 19:35   #14
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
RSS and Huey need to publish a book is my only retort to this thread.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 05, 2017, 21:47   #15
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
I'm 35 and have been buying, trading, shooting, collecting firearms of various types since the late-1990s and while I have lots of friends that "like guns" and shoot, they don't have as much interest in the higher-end pre-ban stuff (Gs, early HKs, Valmets, etc). They'll spend $4k on a SCAR with optics or another more modern military type firearm but wouldn't consider it on a Belgian FN or an AK variant like a Valmet, Galil, Polytech Legend, etc...

While I don't necessarily see prices "falling," I do sometimes wonder where lots of this stuff might end up in 15-30 years?
I'll sell FN 50.00's or Brit parts kits on Indian receivers for $2800 all day long.
I'll do 50.63's for $4500

I'm always fair.
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 05, 2017, 22:30   #16
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75965
I love the shows around me, just this weekend I ended up with a few Rock-Ola carbine parts I've been looking for, a really nice DWM shooter Luger, and a drop dead gorgeous 1941 Winchester model 71 deluxe in 95% condition. All from guys that know me, know I'm just about the only 27 year old around the shows that gives a crap, and that know I consider myself a steward of history when it comes to guns. They always give me heads up on the gems in hopes that I'll be able to care for them well into the future and no one will have to worry about sporterization or black rail bastardization. Feels pretty good to be the only millennial on some of these guys call list, and I plan to keep it that way. I've got only one friend in my age group that cares for the good stuff like I do, and I even managed to get him into FALs. Just today he admitted he secretly wants a real Belgian (probably just trying to get something up scale from my Armscorp Argie ) I think there are plenty of millennials out there "in the locker" hiding their gun hoarding tendencies from the rest of this damn snowflake feel good Gestapo generation.
Old June 06, 2017, 10:24   #17
hansellhd
Registered

FALaholic #: 31152
I have been into collecting Military Surplus Guns for the better part of 40 years now. In that time all I have seen is prices steadily going up, I see no end in sight. Still one of the best investments one can make.
Old June 06, 2017, 11:50   #18
Falfan2017
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansellhd View Post
I have been into collecting Military Surplus Guns for the better part of 40 years now. In that time all I have seen is prices steadily going up, I see no end in sight. Still one of the best investments one can make.
For prices to keep increasing somebody has to be willing to buy at those prices. Seems like when folks start dying off their kids and grandkids may or may not have an interest which could lead to collections getting liquidated. You'd still have buyers out there but the supply may go up pushing down prices
Old June 06, 2017, 12:07   #19
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
Winchester model 12 used to be gold. old dudes paid dearly for them 30 years ago. old dudes are dead now. los tiempos van cambiandos, jefe
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Last edited by justashooter; June 20, 2017 at 08:04.
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2017, 13:47   #20
Invictus77
The Colonel
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
Doubtful. Limited supply almost never equates to limited demand.
perzaklee

I don't a lot of Civil War collectors around these days and I never had a deep interest in it myself, but I don't see that stuff selling cheap anywhere now either. Limited supply of almost anything will result in increasing prices over time.

I also think many of us "older folks" tend to write off the entire millennial generation due to the acts/behavior of some. Having six of them myself and knowing many of their friends, I can safely say we have a lot of good millennials, and some have an interest in real "wood & steel"
Old June 06, 2017, 14:44   #21
C2A1
Registered

FALaholic #: 15514
Last show I did which was last fall, all the stuff I sold was to folks under 35. I am not a dealer and price things fairly. I try and sell history so have odd or one of a kind stuff. Last show sold all my surplus 7mm mauser ammo I brought. Romanian AK74 pouches with steel mags/ strippers/loader and cleaning kit all went. Younger guys saw it was different, asked and hit the ATM. Most interesting was a nice Bren kit I had. I priced it at twice what I paid for it but about $75.00 less than the net but also had the can of mags, all the tools which I priced at what Apex gets. A guy about 19 looked it over, asked a lot of questions and took it away.
I agree with Riverside, the young folks are just getting started.
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2017, 16:37   #22
hansellhd
Registered

Quote:
For prices to keep increasing somebody has to be willing to buy at those prices. Seems like when folks start dying off their kids and grandkids may or may not have an interest which could lead to collections getting liquidated. You'd still have buyers out there but the supply may go up pushing down prices
Video Games. WW1/ WW2/ Cold War military surplus is still in demand. Some of this stuff is over 100 years old now. German all matching K98 Mauser 20 years ago was around $800.00 now 2K is the norm. (in VG condition)

Some collectables may temporally go down but they always go back up in a year or two.

Last edited by hansellhd; June 06, 2017 at 16:51.
hansellhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2017, 19:37   #23
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
Hansellhd, I think you hit it right on the head...These "kids" in their 20's are playing their Xbox and Playstation games with all of these interesting weapons that they have no idea at first what they are. Once they find out they can get a real one, they are all over it in a lot of cases.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2017, 20:58   #24
Bawana jim
Registered

In my opinion the big difference is going to be how much money the next generation makes. Boomers had a growing economy that between work and investments it was money enough to collect things. Everything you bought went up because of inflation and boomers were at the right time to buy the good stuff.

Everything is getting expensive now so it's going to take a perfect specimen to get big money.
Old June 07, 2017, 07:22   #25
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I wonder about this topic myself, I would hate to have to give away my "collection" when I eventually retire and downsize. As to speculating about future prices, watch and episode of Antiques Roadshow where they compare price from several years ago to now. Some things go up, some down, some stay the same. The lesson to me is buy what you like and enjoy and hope you at least break even in the end.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2017, 09:54   #26
Bawana jim
Registered

Ya some folks just collect memories that don't sell well... unless you can write a book on them.

Think about it, when the Smith 44 mag model 29 shortage hit the prices went sky high yet today they cost nearly double the scalpers price of $500.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...rd_44mag44sp_4

But then 40 years ago $500 was a lot of money.

If the economy gets rolling there will be lots of money for toys and then it's just a matter of salesmanship, the buyer has to convince himself he wants what he sees.
Old June 07, 2017, 11:11   #27
hansellhd
Registered

I have a significant amount of money tied up in my Gun Collection and I don't worry about it at all. I worry more about the Stock Market and the price of Gold/ Silver. A well balanced Firearms collection (not 50 AR15's) is one of the more stable investments one can have.
Old June 07, 2017, 13:57   #28
skinnydash
Registered

FALaholic #: 79317
AMEN hansellhd!
skinnydash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2017, 14:38   #29
Riversidesports
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Ya some folks just collect memories that don't sell well... unless you can write a book on them.

Think about it, when the Smith 44 mag model 29 shortage hit the prices went sky high yet today they cost nearly double the scalpers price of $500.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...rd_44mag44sp_4

But then 40 years ago $500 was a lot of money.

If the economy gets rolling there will be lots of money for toys and then it's just a matter of salesmanship, the buyer has to convince himself he wants what he sees.
There never was an actual M29 shortage Jim

This was real funny stuff...
Back then certain companies ONLY sold their products through a rather small number of regional distributors.
These distributors in turn would only sell to a small number of verified Brick & Mortar Gun shops in a given area.
Anyone could get a FFL but that didn't mean you were able to order Colt, S&W, Winchester, etc products. Unless you had a physical shop with a listed Yellow page advertisment. Good Luck !

Same period FFLs were restricted to operations only at the address indicated on their license. This was exactly why practically NO ONE at shows carried a license...their was zero advantage for them outside of purchasing out of State.

Anyways when every doofus decided they wanted "The Most Powerful Handgun in the World" thanks to Dirty Harry Callahan the industry was seriously bottlenecked. I mean the scalpers were generally not Brick & Mortar guys. The shops that purchased from the distributors were under agreement to sell within a few dollars of established MSRP. If they caught you going too low or too high you would be cut off.

There was plenty of 29's in the warehouses in certain regions but you as a brick & mortar couldn't access those guns as you were contracted to buy only from Your distributor !
This of course led to the myth of the shortage of 6.5" M29s which was a complete fallacy made up by the Industry and regurgitated by the Gun Press at the time.

This forced a HUGE, I mean HUGE Industry Wide evolution as the major Manufacturers broke ties with that small number of distributors and expanded to a much larger base to eliminate future problems of a similar nature.

Many of the new distributors didn't honor the old agreements established by brick & mortar lobbying arms thus the cartel quickly dissolved as kitchen table FFLs became able to access product.

Around the same timeframe BATF changed the regulations and allowed anyone with an FFL to make sales at locations other than that listed on their license so long as other Federal & State regs were heeded. Total revolution in the Industry, by the early 80s more and more Gun show vendors picked up a FFL.

Another component forgotten were franchised chain stores like Coast to Coast, Gambles, etc who had a corporate distributor. This was how some hardware store chains were able to offer Hunting season loss leaders at less than distributor cost.

My father was somewhat fortunate in that while running a small kitchen table FFL for friends and Federal LE co-workers we were rural and isolated so with a wink and a nod we were in with our regional distributor. When M29s went nutz we were still ordering them in and listing them in the Gun List and SGN classifieds. Nothing crazy, roughly a $200 markup. That was the "shortage" Jim.

Guys today don't realize how vicious and exclusive the Industry used to be. It was like the damn Mafia. As mentioned there were certain groups, a notorious one was the National Alliance of Stocking Gun Dealers. Those shits were the ones who collborated with Liberals to enhance FFL fees. The deal was that they were all about eliminating hobby FFLs.

We had one of those clowns in the County...whoa boy he had a Hard On for my pops. Complained to my father's Agency, complained to ATF, asshat even took out huge print adds in three County newspapers crying foul warning folks not to do business with garage gun dealers.
For about a year he was going to Hardware stores that held FFLs trying to get them to sign on to a petition to have our License revoked !
Every one of them gave dad a call, we all had a great laugh.

Something else to remember about the 70s is there was about zero surplus imported...just police guns and scant few of those.
Interarms sold direct to FFLs mainly because the owner detested the existing cartel system as much as the cartel hated him for being anti American importing foreign made firearms.

Shooters were also over a barrel in other ways
Until like the early 80s ? to have ammo shipped to you required an FFL and you needed a license to retail it too. Components were not regulated that way, that's why so many reloaded back then. Practically no one bought cases of anything. If you had say an AR Colt Sp1 you bought your shells a box at a time from the shop at full retail or reloaded.
7.62x39mm was stupid money in the 70s, only ammo available was Lapau out of Finland unless you got your mitts on the Lake City tooled out for our military.

Yeah another bookish post but I want folks to understand there never were Good Old Days in the industry, well outside the NFA nonsense.
The Good Ole Days are Right Now !
Old June 07, 2017, 15:56   #30
Riversidesports
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansellhd View Post
Video Games. WW1/ WW2/ Cold War military surplus is still in demand. Some of this stuff is over 100 years old now. German all matching K98 Mauser 20 years ago was around $800.00 now 2K is the norm. (in VG condition)

Some collectables may temporally go down but they always go back up in a year or two.
Spot on the Money Hans...

Here's an example. One item of eyecandy I put on tables is a 1930s Manville and a Hawk 37mm. You guys will remember the Hawk in T2 where Arnie is shooting cops in the lobby of Cyberdyne Systems.
Anyways young boys and girls recognize them, can tell mom and dad all about them while the parents look on in mystery and embarassment.
Kids are learning weapons at very very young ages due to gaming.
Adults rarely know the esoteric crap on my tables. Only young kids, it's amazing.

Another thing I notice...
sometimes it's the kids dragging mom or dad to Gun shows these days !
Number of months ago I was set up, had a RPD kit as a static display. Gal with Daughter walks up, MOMMY LOOK ! An RPD !
Girl was like ten or eleven. Mom stammered an apology at me blaming those damn GAMES ! Like I told her, encourage the girl's interests. Gave the kid a 20mm dummy round, shit I could not have made a bigger impression on the girl had I gave her a damn designer Teddy Bear.

So yeah gaming is driving youth interest and I do my damn best to encourage that in kids, we all have to as they ARE the future.
Old June 17, 2017, 10:16   #31
STGThndr
Registered

FALaholic #: 14583
If the demand prices on Pythons, Model 29s, original matching Waffen-ampted stuff, can hold up another 20 years, that should be about right where Im sitting.. some other nazi jewelry and rings, several hakenkreuz and an original Iron Cross issued during Weimar era. Bought it from a guy who actually knew something about it.. It was issued as a skiing medal but had no swastlka, year of issue nor Imperial crown.
Anyway it would be nice if prices rose for awhile yet.
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B Yeats
STGThndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017, 09:31   #32
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
Just my opinion, but I think that if we look at a parallel sector of the gun collector field, London Best Shotguns - Purdey, Boss, Woodward, Holland & Holland, we can see that the market has stagnated and in many cases dropped substantially in value, both in currency exchange and real dollar terms. I believe that the main reason for this is the decline in the population of upland game hunters, fewer interested persons chasing the limited supply of these firearms.

If the average thirty-something has no knowledge of our area of gun collecting today, that person is much less likely to become a collector in the future, as the FAL was really not a major service weapon during that person's lifetime.

Think back on your own first recollection of the FAL, and now ask yourself if that same media or real life event could be repeated for a younger generation.

Today's youth are interested in PlayStations and iMacs. In thirty years the old video game bases and computers will be what they want to remind themselves of their youth.
pistolero1911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017, 09:50   #33
Falfan2017
Registered

Most of the average thirty somethings you see at the range are all about their block 9s and poodle shooters.
Old June 18, 2017, 15:16   #34
Riversidesports
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolero1911 View Post
Just my opinion, but I think that if we look at a parallel sector of the gun collector field, London Best Shotguns - Purdey, Boss, Woodward, Holland & Holland, we can see that the market has stagnated and in many cases dropped substantially in value, both in currency exchange and real dollar terms. I believe that the main reason for this is the decline in the population of upland game hunters, fewer interested persons chasing the limited supply of these firearms.

If the average thirty-something has no knowledge of our area of gun collecting today, that person is much less likely to become a collector in the future, as the FAL was really not a major service weapon during that person's lifetime.

Think back on your own first recollection of the FAL, and now ask yourself if that same media or real life event could be repeated for a younger generation.

Today's youth are interested in PlayStations and iMacs. In thirty years the old video game bases and computers will be what they want to remind themselves of their youth.
Already happening my friend. Early PCs are getting to be hot collectibles. Apple 2C's, Commodores, TI's, Atari 800s, IBM PCJr's. I been buying and reselling that trash since the 90s to folks wanting to relive their youth.
Sold a 2C at action with all the shit, software, etc in 99' at auction. Hit just under a damn' grand, global bidding.
1st Gen PCs are collectable and things like external accs can bring big money depending on the rarity.

You brought up another legit example, British shotguns. Up through the 90s the "Best" gun were in demand still. These days they are in the dirt.
Conversely, English Double Rifles slowly uptick, Brit built safari bolt guns have gone through the roof. High grade Martini sporting rifles not lost a penny and keep up with inflation.

I'll give you a converse example:

Webley Revolvers.
Any .455 gun today is well over $500
I was the sucker buying $50 to $100 Webleys back in the 90s...just tossed them in a box. We sold everything several years back at crazy money
only thing I kept back was a brace of square butt Webley Greenes in 476 with the dual english made rig.

Pre 1899 Antique Mk1 Webley revolvers are generally a grand plus now
Greene pattern revolvers in high condition are 2K+

Much of the reason that occurred was due to the flood of Martinis from Nepal
many guys wanted a full "kit"

Now understand there has been little decline in upland hunting but the Men who hunted with high end arms are basically dead or nearly so.
I used to hunt with high end arms and it sickened me every time a marked the wood.

Tried Deer hunting with an 1886 .50-110 take down lever gun, set trigger, you name it plus it had been restored by the Winchester custom shop in the late 50s. Like new when it came into my hands. Over the next two years it was beat up in the woods.
I just wasn't going to subject it to that anymore and sold it.

Drillings and Combo guns have taken a real beating. Now is the time to buy those as when the younger guys start to age out the tastes will change
I mean a grand or so for a gun that would cost maybe 10K produced today is a no brainer.
Old June 18, 2017, 16:22   #35
Invictus77
The Colonel
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Drillings and Combo guns have taken a real beating. Now is the time to buy those as when the younger guys start to age out the tastes will change
I mean a grand or so for a gun that would cost maybe 10K produced today is a no brainer.
That is great advise. You seem really knowledgeable about guns. Can I ask you some more advice.

Can I shoot 5.56 NATO if my gun is marked 223?

Can I shoot 308 Winchester in my milsurp 7.62mm gun?

What do you think about the Moses mags situation?

Is it more sporting to shoot squirrels with a 22 or more humane to use a shotgun?
Old June 18, 2017, 23:24   #36
Riversidesports
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
That is great advise. You seem really knowledgeable about guns. Can I ask you some more advice.

Can I shoot 5.56 NATO if my gun is marked 223?

Can I shoot 308 Winchester in my milsurp 7.62mm gun?

What do you think about the Moses mags situation?

Is it more sporting to shoot squirrels with a 22 or more humane to use a shotgun?
well to answer retard questions :

I grew up blasting LC 5.56mm through my Colt SP1 AR15
it only became an issue when internet fuktards made it one.

Same situation with .308 vs 7.62 Nato

No opinion on "Moses" mags, why would you run an ugly lookin' mag anyways ?

Myself I have mostly let Tree Rats be. Chipmunks are generally dispatched with a Russian .25 bullpup "Edgun". Kill them for my personal satisfaction, leave them for the cats to eat.
Old June 19, 2017, 05:42   #37
Invictus77
The Colonel
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
I grew up blasting LC 5.56mm through my Colt SP1 AR15
it only became an issue when internet fuktards made it one.
Wow that is interesting. I knew shooting 556 was a no-no but did not know the internet was the cause. Did the internet cause more gunpowder in the 556 boolit? What issue did it cause in your Colt? Did the barrel get blowed-up?
Old June 20, 2017, 08:01   #38
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
everybody and his brother thinks they are a comedian these days. it makes it really hard for an understated guy like me to get the stage.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017, 21:45   #39
FUUN063
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 35576
I've been buying guns since the 197's and, until about 8 or so years ago, had every one that I had ever bought. My close gun buddy, now 80 years old and a few others now gone, were my go to for information and what was quality. I grew to know old guns and what to look for and what to buy/not to buy. Now, for example, my $350.00 Colt 1918 made 1911 is considerably higher, along with the same price given for my exceptional Inglis with matching stock, all matching October 1943 Springfield Garand, etc.

I stopped buying at over 550 pieces due to not being able to keep up with properly cleaning/oiling them when I switched jobs and my summers off were no longer available.

I'll admit that over time, most gun collectors love to find out the history of the gun that they just bought. And, the types of guns that one collects change over time as well. I started out with Mausers and wanting every type made from different countries, calibers, mounts, etc. I stopped at 79 and then went to store brand shotguns such as Coast to Coast, JC Penney, etc. This phase did not last long and I went on to a few N frame S&W's, but more focused on Colt's revolvers as my uncle (and introduction to the gun show) collected them. I ended up with over 60 high end Colt revolvers as a result including my favorite, the Police Officer's Target type guns in both .38 Special and .22 LR. Then, it was the semiauto Colt's for a very short time and then on to more S&W's totaling over 200.

It got so bad (addiction) that I would not have enough money to eat for the week, but would make payments to a local back alley gunshop just to "hold it for me" until I could get in there after work. Haha.............

It should also be noted that I never lost money on a gun and, when able, I would trade up to a nicer model using the lesser condition model as trade fodder with a few bucks or another gun. This is the way I made it anyway. I didn't type this to say "look at me", but that where there is a will, there is a way for some folks with less money to still buy the higher end stuff when necessary. Folks will find the money, somehow. And, it should be noted, that my wife never said a word about it. I always tried to make the money in other ways instead of take from my family for my hobby.

Now, as a substantial collection, I may be able to fund a home in Tennessee, in part, as a result of my "addiction". Oh, I forgot to mention the 122 Winchester .22 caliber rifles that I sold to build my shop that I now have. Folks thought I was crazy having two other buddies carrying all we could into a local large gun show and selling everything I brought just to buy materials for my shop. It has brought much more fun than the .22 rifles, I guess.

Collecting has been fun for me over the many years, but as some of you may know, I have been selling them off for a few years now to fund my other hobby-old motorcycles. An old gun collector told me that "guns are good, bikes are better" and I believe him. He's gone now, but not forgotten. I bought his collection some time back and only kept what I wanted out of it, then sold off the rest to make it even. I do regret selling off only a couple of guns, but I got something better, so it's ok, I guess.

Some people can buy guns, buy all people can buy motorcycles....................

Leland
FUUN063 is offline   Reply With Quote