The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Shotgun Files

Notices

Old June 17, 2017, 17:06   #1
Guy-epic
Registered

FALaholic #: 70221
Convert a A5 into a Riot or trench shotgun

So I want to make a Rhode clone Trench ShotGun. If I start with a A5 browning, what parts are needed? I know I need a extended tube, a wood foregrip, and I am guessing a spring? What else and how can we make some clones to make it affordable to own a Clone for our collection?
Old June 17, 2017, 18:48   #2
yovinny
Registered

FALaholic #: 7679
IMHO, just trim A5 bbl to 21" and put a mag extension on it.

Those long delicate hand guards do nothing, except crack pretty good.
Yes,,ive owned a couple, and repaired 4"+ cracks on both.

The rodies didnt use an extension, they used a longer replacement mag tube and handguard.
The barrel js different,, recoil lug was further towards muzzle.
'Counterfitting' one like that would take some doing...

My $.02
Cheers, yv
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2017, 19:55   #3
Nihonto Chicken
Registered

FALaholic #: 79627
It depends on how authentic you want to it to appear. The barrel is 24 inches with the bead on the typical Browning pedestal, which must be silver soldered on your shortened barrel. Then there are the sling swivels on the mag cap and butt stock, and also the cross bolt in the upper grip area. Finally there is the Herstal butt pad and the black (enamel?) paint on the receiver and barrel. Also note that the butt stock is walnut, but the forearm is not (I believe it is beech, someone else opined oak). If it were me, I do the extended mag tube, forearm and spring, maybe the bead pedestal, and call it a day, but even that is a lot of work. Much simpler to just add an extended mag tube:

Nihonto Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2017, 23:29   #4
Nihonto Chicken
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
The barrel js different,, recoil lug was further towards muzzle.
No, it's the same length as the other A5 barrels. The only functional diff is the extended lengths of the magazine tube and spring, plus the forearm. Examples below, Rhodie A9 on top, standard A5 underneath. Barrel recoil springs are the same (well, when new! - the 30 year older A5 spring has sacked out some more in length, but the coil count is the same).

Old June 18, 2017, 19:47   #5
yovinny
Registered

FALaholic #: 7679
Ok,,my bad,,thought they were further out.
How about your handguard,,got cracks ?
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017, 20:18   #6
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Somebody find us some conversion kits, I just happen to have a rough old A5 (Police confiscated auction gun) that would make a great start.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017, 17:28   #7
Nihonto Chicken
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Ok,,my bad,,thought they were further out.
How about your handguard,,got cracks ?
My FN Police Model shotgun (A9?) has a non-cracked fore end. When Sarco sold off the last of these shotguns imported in 2014, I called them up when alerted on the Calguns Forum (hat tip to deadsled65 ) to their ad in Shotgun News. After ascertaining that they still had some of these in stock, my very next question was, "Do you have any with uncracked fore ends?" The Sarco guy on the phone answered, "Yes, we have two." I replied, "I'll take one." In retrospect I should have taken them both.

Yes, there are a number of people interested in some sort of an A9 conversion kit for standard Browning A5s. The extended mag spring is trivial, but the longer mag tube is tough. The square shouldered Acme thread at the receiver end is a bit unusual but doable on a decent lathe set up. But the tube wall is a couple of hundredths of an inch thicker in the last inch at the rear end in order to stop the mag follower. The entire tube forward of this is reamed out to a slightly larger ID, not so simple for the home hobby machinist.

But he real kicker is the fore arm. It's a hell of a carpentry job. Probably easier (and more robust) to cast it out of a suitable plastic if one has a decent model with which to make a mold. That is why the Rhodesian plastic replacement at auction here recently had some decent attention beyond the FAL Files Forum.
Old June 22, 2017, 21:22   #8
saddler68
Registered

FALaholic #: 79791
Stick with the KISS mindset, as the Herstal machinists would not have been making a rod for their own back with these mag. tubes.

Maybe the issue over the mag tube having an inch or so of restriction at the receiver end, would be to fit a short section of sleeve to reduce the inner dia?
A tight friction fit would stop the combined pressure of the follower & spring from pushing it out...or maybe have a screw in fit like a short choke tube?

Last week I tried for quite some time to remove the push-fit spring retainer from the muzzle end of an A5 mag. tube, and that was a friction fit part that is designed to come out. It put up a fight.

No reason for a small shim at the other end of the tube not to also have a similar effect.
saddler68 is online now   Reply With Quote