The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > General Information > Reviews - products, services, and sellers

Notices

Old June 12, 2019, 14:04   #1
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Holosun HE503GU-GR (Green dot)

Some back story; my daughter all up and laid claim to my old Ruger MKII Target pistol. The one I paid good money to have drilled and tapped for a scope mount and stuff. Anyway, she is enjoying it and shooting well in Steel Challenge so I guess Dad will have to just move on. You can tell I am very, very broken up about it.

Anywho, turn about is fair play so I took "her" pistol. It is an older S&W 22A that was given to her a few years back. That story is I made a deal to buy a retired Competitor's remaining reloading equipment and supplies. I took my then 13 year old daughter with me to get the stuff and as we were loading it all up he came across a bag of handguns he had forgotten about. Who among us has not? As he looked though the bag he said; "here is a cheap .22, would your daughter like to have it?" I allowed as she would and he gave it to her. Moral there is take a cute girl to your deals.

Now finally to the meat of the thread, as the 22A already had a rail all I needed was a suitable optic to allow these old eyes to quickly and accurately hit a steel plate. I was all set to move a Leupold Delta Point off another pistol when the Siren Song of a green dot kept calling me. I looked hard at Trijicon, but just could not bring myself to spring the coin required for one. I had been seeing this Holosun advertised at a fair-ish price ($180) so finally took the plunge. I think I like it.

It is a Aimpoint sized optic with a green 2 MOA dot and 65 MOA circle, or you can use just the dot. I am planning on running both. It came with both a low base and a 1/3 lower co-witness mount. A nice touch although all I need is the low mount. Standard 2032 battery which I keep in the range bag anyway. Nice clear picture, without the "bulge" in the bottom of the view seen on some lower end dots. I have only mounted it and finger-fudged it so far but think it will be a nice unit for what I intend to use it for. It is bigger than the Delta Point, RMR, Fastfire, etc. but not terribly out of place on a range toy pistol.

If the weather permits I will sight it in tomorrow and plink at some steel Saturday.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2019, 17:32   #2
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Several of our local competitors run Holosuns on their pistols and PCC's. Nothing but good things to say about them. A couple of guys expressed the same thoughts as you in why pay big bucks for a sight when I can get a less expensive one that works just as well?

The Holosun warranty isn't bad either:

Lifetime on the metal parts and frames,
5 years on the electronics,
3 years on the glass.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019, 14:42   #3
Timber Wolf
Registered

Update: The Holosun died (shut off) a couple of stages into a match TWICE. It did come back on later, but I don't know why. I suspect it just got hot here in FL in June & July. I did not turn it off between stages, but should not have had to. Went on line, registered the product and asked for a return. They (Holosun) promptly issued a post-paid return label and I sent it off the other day. We will see what happens but I am not happy. I really liked the sight and hope they can make it right as I had to shoot irons this month and my daughter kicked my ass.

Old September 06, 2019, 21:38   #4
Timber Wolf
Registered

So the replacement sight was on the stoop when I got home today. Not bad turn-around I guess. This one is slightly different, a 503GU Elite. Seems to have different (upgraded?) features like shake-awake and such. Externally is indistinguishable from the original. I suppose Botach was blowing out the old model I got the first time. Anyway, I will get it mounted and sighted in and see if the massive recoil of the .22 S&W can kick this one’s ass. Oh, they threw a Holosun tote bag in the box for my trouble but it is a pretty worthless size and shape for anything firearm related, or for any other purpose I might use a bag for.