The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Shotgun Files

Notices

Old May 17, 2017, 18:38   #1
Nihonto Chicken
Registered

FALaholic #: 79627
Smile Rhodesian FN Police Model Shotgun

Hi! This is my first post on The FAL Files. I'd love to acquire an FAL firearm, particularly a Rhody, but the politics of the PRKalif. (registration/neutering) make this too unpalatable. As a consolation prize I managed to snag a Rhodesian FN Police Model shotgun, a rather unique arm in its own right that I'd like to show here to any who may have interest. It's one of the later Sarco imports with the unfortunate magazine restriction that I felt challenged to rectify.

Those interested may look at the Shotgunworld thread linked below. Pics of the arm are up front, and the happy conclusion to the long saga of removing the mag restriction is at the end, should you wish to skip the lengthy interim sob story.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...p?f=7&t=400524

Maybe some day if/when the politics change and my finances improve, I'll get that baby poop Rhody FAL sibling to keep my shotgun company!
Nihonto Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 23:59   #2
Battosai
Registered

FALaholic #: 77986
Congrats for hanging in there and seeing it through to the end. Have you been able to take it out for a test drive yet?
Battosai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017, 00:06   #3
PvtJoker
Registered

FALaholic #: 41679
Congrats; I have been looking for one of those for quite a while now but they just don't seem to come up out here. IF you ever decide to sell it, PLEASE let me know.
PvtJoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017, 08:54   #4
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
Congrats. On my WANT list as well......
mp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017, 13:19   #5
Battosai
Registered

FALaholic #: 77986
I'm pretty much a noob about this sort of thing; after re-reading your Shotgun World thread, I see that this shotgun is more of a rare/collectible/investment firearm and not a regular shooter.

I find it interesting that an FN Police Model A5 seems to have the same recoil setup as a standard Browning shotgun. I've shot my father's Auto 5, and even with regular birdshot, it has a pretty stout recoil. Wouldn't a police shotgun be expected to feed mostly buckshot and slugs? It makes my eyes water just thinking about it...
Battosai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017, 13:54   #6
Nihonto Chicken
Registered

Yes, it's pretty much more a collectible rather than a shooter. There are only about 500 of them (educated guesstimate) existing in the wild, and unlike many M1 Garands and even FALs (except save those such as the Rhody baby poop items), there isn't much doubt that most, likely all, RAxxx marked FN Police Model shotguns saw real field action. Maybe regrettable that they couldn't be retained by those who carried them in earnest, though a boon to far away collectors such as moi.

I haven't been to the range yet with the beast, only tried working some snap caps through the action at home. Unfortunately, they tended to hang up about a quarter inch of clearing the mag tube. Maybe real rounds might move more slickly, but I don't want to fool around with that at home. But, as indicated previously, it's more valuable for what it is as based on how it was employed before, rather than what it can do now and in the future (though in any forthcoming "revolution", I'm confident it could be called upon once more to perform admirably).
Old May 18, 2017, 14:38   #7
eternal24k
Registered

FALaholic #: 26370

those are by far one of the coolest shotguns. Congrats
Old May 18, 2017, 15:29   #8
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
What's the going price for a Rhodie A5 these days???
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017, 16:46   #9
Guy-epic
Registered

FALaholic #: 70221
So I have seen a few of these around, I did not think they were rare, or is there a similar A5 that wasn't a police model but had the extended foregrip and tube?
Old May 18, 2017, 17:07   #10
yovinny
Registered

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFN49 View Post
What's the going price for a Rhodie A5 these days???
Last pair I bought were like $279.ea IIRC....
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017, 17:15   #11
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Last pair I bought were like $279.ea IIRC....
I'll take it
Old May 18, 2017, 17:39   #12
Nihonto Chicken
Registered

The last batch to be imported and sold off, by Sarco in 2014 I believe, were going for $995 plus shipping, though they were already selling for significantly more than that on the secondary market. All the last Sarco items were mag restricted, while earlier imports through CAI seemed to be restricted or non-restricted, depending on the time. I've seen them lately going for around 2.5 large on the gun auction/sales sites, near the same vicinity as real US trench shotguns.

There seems to have been an earlier FN Police Model sold prior to the Rhodesian jobs in the late '60s or early '70s, but I haven't seen such an example, all I've seen are the Rhodies.

There is some question as to whether the Rhodesian models were purchased straight from FN, or else something cobbled together by someone aftermarket. While the stock is traditional walnut, the fore end is oak or beech wood. The receiver serial numbers are not continuous and in fact have four different letter prefixes that I have seen, plus the barrel serials do not match the receiver numbers. And while standard A5s employ seamless mag tubes, the extended mag on my Rhody Police Model is seamed tubing.

Would be nice if someone with first hand knowledge could relate the whole story of these unique shotguns as time is starting to run out on those involved in the Bush Wars.

Last edited by Nihonto Chicken; May 18, 2017 at 17:46.
Old May 18, 2017, 18:21   #13
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihonto Chicken View Post
The last batch to be imported and sold off, by Sarco in 2014 I believe, were going for $995 plus shipping, though they were already selling for significantly more than that on the secondary market. All the last Sarco items were mag restricted, while earlier imports through CAI seemed to be restricted or non-restricted, depending on the time. I've seen them lately going for around 2.5 large on the gun auction/sales sites, near the same vicinity as real US trench shotguns.

There seems to have been an earlier FN Police Model sold prior to the Rhodesian jobs in the late '60s or early '70s, but I haven't seen such an example, all I've seen are the Rhodies.

There is some question as to whether the Rhodesian models were purchased straight from FN, or else something cobbled together by someone aftermarket. While the stock is traditional walnut, the fore end is oak or beech wood. The receiver serial numbers are not continuous and in fact have four different letter prefixes that I have seen, plus the barrel serials do not match the receiver numbers. And while standard A5s employ seamless mag tubes, the extended mag on my Rhody Police Model is seamed tubing.

Would be nice if someone with first hand knowledge could relate the whole story of these unique shotguns as time is starting to run out on those involved in the Bush Wars.
They were made by FN for the SA police and < 1000 were transferred to the RA and used in the bush war. Somewhere between 250 and 500 were imported into the US.

I have one that I didn't remember having until I saw this thread. I know they were going for $1700 back in 2012, but I haven't followed them in a while. I may have to let this one go since I didn't even remember it. It's a 8 shot model.

Look for it in the auction section soon, or I may just go gunbroker since you guys are a bunch of cheap asses.
The last 2 sales in the MP I am still waiting on funds, and it's been a couple months.
Old May 18, 2017, 18:23   #14
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Thats one of the better Sarco guns, most of them were really beat compared to the older Century guns, which were still showing heavy use. Some of these had baby poop paint on them too. A lot of them have color mismatched wood, the forends got swapped around.

The Rhodesian shotguns with the 8 shot tubes were factory guns, not put together or modified later. FN sold a handful of these police shotguns to police forces in other countries, Ezell mentions this in an old edition of Small Arms Of the World. I'll see if I can find it. The A5 police model was not a big seller, it was too expensive compared to contemporary pump shotguns. Ironically the US military spent several hundred thousand dollars back in the late 1970s on the Heckler and Koch CAWS shotgun project when they could have just bought these. Mine is very fast firing and reliable.And it holds nine 2-3/4 rounds of buckshot or slugs.

What's it worth? I'd like to know what mines worth. Ten years ago you could buy a near mint US marked Remington riot gun for 1/3 of what they bring now. Military shotguns are hot tickets.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; May 19, 2017 at 10:34.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017, 19:13   #15
yovinny
Registered

FALaholic #: 7679
Hard to believe those prices...
Mine sat here for years at a grand,,,like 2009-2013
yovinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017, 19:51   #16
stoicrabbit
WTB Type B Bayonet
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31595
All three POL marked
1- 8 shot Sarco Import
1- 8 shot Century Import
1- 5 shot Sarco Import

Sold the Sarco Import; there is a sale/auction thread in here.
Replaced it with another Century Import so still have 2 - 8 shot and 1 - 5 shot.

Posted one of the duplicates for sale for about an hour back in February before I changed my mind.

stoicrabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017, 20:15   #17
stoicrabbit
WTB Type B Bayonet
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
Interesting that they kept the 24" barrel for the 5 shot. I never saw one of these.
It is a 24" cylinder bore barrel with a POL marked receiver. The barrel serial number and receiver serial number match as do the etched RA#s on barrel, bolt, and receiver.
stoicrabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 15:43   #18
Nihonto Chicken
Registered

For any who may be interested, here are the FN serial numbers and the attendant Rhodesian Army inventory numbers I have seen so far on the Bush War FN Police Model shotguns (internet sources not bookmarked):

FN Serial #............Rhod. Army #

............................047 (electro-pencil mark seen on barrel only)
F56263..................087
F55841..................134
F56071..................142
F56201..................172
F56174..................208
B81109..................209
B80702..................281
.............................322 (? - fuzzy photo, not sure)
B81183..................465
B81241..................498
B80528..................523
A67364..................539
A72049..................540
B80645..................556
B80634..................562
B81223..................568
B81131..................607

I indicated earlier on another thread that I had seen a G prefix FN serial number, but a review of my scattered notes failed to uncover this, so for now only three prefixes that I have seen, namely A, B and F.

In any event, note that the FN serial numbers bear no apparent correlation to the RA numbers (for example see RA numbers 208 and 209). So it appears that if these shotguns were sourced directly from FN, they were not a consecutive number production run, and not even three consecutive number runs, but rather look to have been pulled from here and there. Note the span of the FN serial numbers I've seen so far:

A (72049 - 67364) = 4685
B (81241 - 80634) = 607
F (56174 - 55841) = 333 (Edit: higher number since discovered)

There are likely less than one thousand RA marked FN Police Model shotguns as only three numeric digit RA numbers have turned up so far. If only the B and F prefix numbers had shown up, there would be possibly a fit for two consecutive number FN production runs, but the A prefix numbers blow this consideration all to hell. So however these shotguns were sourced, they don't appear to be "hot off the press" consecutive number FN runs.

Will welcome any enlightenment on this as well as any other FN serial and RA inventory numbers.

Edit: Unfortunately my table upon submission was auto-edited to remove appropriate spacing and hence was screwed up, sorry, but at least the FN numbers and attendant RA numbers are on the same row.

Second Edit: Tried to restore proper spacing to the table that was removed by the auto edit upon submission blank space deletion "feature".

Third Edit: New table entries.

Last edited by Nihonto Chicken; May 25, 2017 at 16:17. Reason: Edit table for new entries.
Old May 19, 2017, 15:57   #19
Nihonto Chicken
Registered

Interesting that your second Police Model shotgun has a round knob grip end. It's the first I've seen like this, a throwback to old times? What is the FN serial number on this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoicrabbit View Post
Old May 19, 2017, 18:01   #20
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
If there is one for sale somewhere in this thread I am a buyer. I have been looking for one of these for a long while.
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 20:27   #21
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
If there is one for sale somewhere in this thread I am a buyer. I have been looking for one of these for a long while.
There is now

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...76#post4423976

Old June 06, 2017, 18:44   #22
Nihonto Chicken
Registered

Exclamation Second Chance Derby!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFN49 View Post
Don't look now, but here's a second chance for RA FN Police Model owner wannabees:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/654131500

I list this with some trepidation. Those who are interested in this "heads up" may be mildly thankful, while those who found it on their own and don't want the bidding competition will consider me a meddlesome @$$#0|e who should effing mind his own biz. Oh, well.
Old June 12, 2017, 22:11   #23
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihonto Chicken View Post
Don't look now, but here's a second chance for RA FN Police Model owner wannabees:

I list this with some trepidation. Those who are interested in this "heads up" may be mildly thankful, while those who found it on their own and don't want the bidding competition will consider me a meddlesome @$$#0|e who should effing mind his own biz. Oh, well.
Damn, knew I should have run it on GB and not with your cheap asses here.

Old June 12, 2017, 23:31   #24
Nihonto Chicken
Registered

Wow, $3425 plus shipping, just round it off to an even 3.5 kilobucks. Whoda thunkit? I knew I shoulda bought that second one with an uncracked fore end from Sarco back in 2014. Well, maybe not, given the likely retribution from SWMBO. I never wanted to be a tenor. So are these things going to skyrocket and then crash like the stock market? Inquiring minds.
Old June 13, 2017, 07:43   #25
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
Someone should figure out how to fabricate that forearm and a correct length magazine tube extension and spring. A kit with those parts and a tube cutter could convert a lot of beater A5's into cool home defense shotguns.
Old June 13, 2017, 08:33   #26
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post
Someone should figure out how to fabricate that forearm and a correct length magazine tube extension and spring. A kit with those parts and a tube cutter could convert a lot of beater A5's into cool home defense shotguns.
Is something like this what you had in mind? Ends Saturday at noon

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415719
Old June 13, 2017, 09:23   #27
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post

Some of you guys never fail to amaze me. Where on earth did you find this?
Old June 13, 2017, 12:23   #28
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post

Well, it's clear I never look at the "Auctions".
Old June 13, 2017, 12:30   #29
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post
Well, it's clear I never look at the "Auctions".
It's still available Amigo.....til noon on Saturday
Old June 13, 2017, 22:22   #30
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
Some of you guys never fail to amaze me. Where on earth did you find this?
Porn store
Old July 05, 2017, 20:56   #31
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
CORRECT SLING?

What would be the correct sling for one of these Rhodie A5 shotguns? Would the Rhodesians have even used a sling?
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 06, 2017, 17:38   #32
Nihonto Chicken
Registered

Quote:
What would be the correct sling for one of these Rhodie A5 shotguns? Would the Rhodesians have even used a sling?
In all the pics of these Rhodie FN Police Model shotguns I've seen, I've rarely come across a sling. Note in the fairly well known photo below, there is a Police model in the center without a sling and a standard A5 off to the right with a sling (another A5 or A9 at the far right, can't tell which, also can't see enough to determine if slinged or not).

Here's a relatively rare pic of an A9 with a sling, have no idea if the sling is Rhodie issue or not:

Another A9 with a sling, but this must be a post Bush Wars addition:

Given the leverage on the extended mag tube only anchored at the receiver end, I wouldn't choose to stress it with a sling. YMMV.

Last edited by Nihonto Chicken; July 06, 2017 at 18:47.