The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > News & Current Events

Notices

Old March 19, 2018, 06:19   #1
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
Scientific American Article: Why Are White Men Stockpiling Guns?

Man, I've never had too much faith in the magazine as there are far more sophisticated journals if you need real data on something...but this takes the cake:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ckpiling-guns/

Part of the Story:

Why Are White Men Stockpiling Guns?

Research suggests it's largely because they're anxious about their ability to protect their families, insecure about their place in the job market and beset by racial fears

Since the 2008 election of President Obama, the number of firearms manufactured in the U.S. has tripled, while imports have doubled. This doesn’t mean more households have guns than ever before—that percentage has stayed fairly steady for decades. Rather, more guns are being stockpiled by a small number of individuals. Three percent of the population now owns half of the country’s firearms, says a recent, definitive study from the Injury Control Research Center at Harvard University.

So, who is buying all these guns—and why?

The short, broad-brush answer to the first part of that question is this: men, who on average possess almost twice the number of guns female owners do. But not all men. Some groups of men are much more avid gun consumers than others. The American citizen most likely to own a gun is a white male—but not just any white guy. According to a growing number of scientific studies, the kind of man who stockpiles weapons or applies for a concealed-carry license meets a very specific profile.

These are men who are anxious about their ability to protect their families, insecure about their place in the job market, and beset by racial fears. They tend to be less educated. For the most part, they don’t appear to be religious—and, suggests one study, faith seems to reduce their attachment to guns. In fact, stockpiling guns seems to be a symptom of a much deeper crisis in meaning and purpose in their lives. Taken together, these studies describe a population that is struggling to find a new story—one in which they are once again the heroes.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO HARD WORK?

When Northland College sociologist Angela Stroud studied applications for licenses to carry concealed firearms in Texas, which exploded after President Obama was elected, she found applicants were overwhelmingly dominated by white men. In interviews, they told her that they wanted to protect themselves and the people they love.

“When men became fathers or got married, they started to feel very vulnerable, like they couldn’t protect families,” she says. “For them, owning a weapon is part of what it means to be a good husband a good father.” That meaning is “rooted in fear and vulnerability—very motivating emotions.”

But Stroud also discovered another motivation: racial anxiety. “A lot of people talked about how important Obama was to get a concealed-carry license: ‘He’s for free health care, he’s for welfare.’ They were asking, ‘Whatever happened to hard work?’” Obama’s presidency, they feared, would empower minorities to threaten their property and families.

The insight Stroud gained from her interviews is backed up by many, many studies. A 2013 paper by a team of United Kingdom researchers found that a one-point jump in the scale they used to measure racism increased the odds of owning a gun by 50 percent. A 2016 study from the University of Illinois at Chicago found that racial resentment among whites fueled opposition to gun control. This drives political affiliations: A 2017 study in the Social Studies Quarterly found that gun owners had become 50 percent more likely to vote Republican since 1972—and that gun culture had become strongly associated with explicit racism.

For many conservative men, the gun feels like a force for order in a chaotic world, suggests a study published in December of last year. In a series of three experiments, Steven Shepherd and Aaron C. Kay asked hundreds of liberals and conservatives to imagine holding a handgun—and found that conservatives felt less risk and greater personal control than liberal counterparts.

This wasn’t about familiarity with real-world guns—gun ownership and experience did not affect results. Instead, conservative attachment to guns was based entirely on ideology and emotions.

WHO WANTS TO BE A HERO?

That’s an insight echoed by another study published last year. Baylor University sociologists Paul Froese and F. Carson Mencken created a “gun empowerment scale” designed to measure how a nationally representative sample of almost 600 owners felt about their weapons. Their study found that people at the highest level of their scale—the ones who felt most emotionally and morally attached to their guns—were 78 percent white and 65 percent male.

“We found that white men who have experienced economic setbacks or worry about their economic futures are the group of owners most attached to their guns,” says Froese. “Those with high attachment felt that having a gun made them a better and more respected member of their communities.”

That wasn’t true for women and non-whites. In other words, they may have suffered setbacks—but women and people of color weren’t turning to guns to make themselves feel better. “This suggests that these owners have other sources of meaning and coping when facing hard times,” notes Froese—often, religion. Indeed, Froese and Mencken found that religious faith seemed to put the brakes on white men’s attachment to guns.

For these economically insecure, irreligious white men, “the gun is a ubiquitous symbol of power and independence, two things white males are worried about,” says Froese. “Guns, therefore, provide a way to regain their masculinity, which they perceive has been eroded by increasing economic impotency.”

Both Froese and Stroud found pervasive anti-government sentiments among their study participants. “This is interesting because these men tend to see themselves as devoted patriots, but make a distinction between the federal government and the ‘nation,’ says Froese. “On that point, I expect that many in this group see the ‘nation’ as being white.”

Investing guns with this kind of moral and emotional meaning has many consequences, the researchers say. “Put simply, owners who are more attached to their guns are most likely to believe that guns are a solution to our social ills,” says Froese. “For them, more ‘good’ people with guns would drastically reduce violence and increase civility. Again, it reflects a hero narrative, which many white man long to feel a part of.”

Stroud’s work echoes this conclusion. “They tell themselves all kinds of stories about criminals and criminal victimization,” she says. “But the story isn’t just about criminals. It’s about the good guy—and that’s how they see themselves: ‘I work hard, I take care of my family, and there are people who aren’t like that.’ When we tell stories about the Other, we’re really telling stories about ourselves.”

HOW TO SAVE A WHITE MAN’S LIFE

Unfortunately, the people most likely to be killed by the guns of white men aren’t the “bad guys,” presumably criminals or terrorists. It’s themselves—and their families.

White men aren’t just the Americans most likely to own guns; according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, they’re also the people most likely to put them in their own mouths and pull the trigger, especially when they’re in some kind of economic distress. A white man is three times more likely to shoot himself than a black man—while the chances that a white man will be killed by a black man are extremely slight. Most murders and shoot-outs don’t happen between strangers. They unfold within social networks, among people of the same race.

A gun in the home is far more likely to kill or wound the people who live there than is a burglar or serial killer. Most of the time, according to every single study that’s ever been done about interpersonal gun violence, the dead and wounded know the people who shot them. A gun in the home makes it five times more likely that a woman will be killed by her husband. Every week in America, 136 children and teenagers are shot—and more often than not, it’s a sibling, friend, parent, or relative who holds the gun. For every homicide deemed justified by the police, guns are used in 78 suicides. As a new study published this month in JAMA Internal Medicine once again shows us, restrictive gun laws don’t prevent white men from defending themselves and their families. Instead, those laws stop them from shooting themselves and each other.

What are the solutions? That and many other studies suggest that restricting the flow of guns and ammunition would certainly save lives. But no law can address the absence of meaning and purpose that many white men appear to feel, which they might be able to gain through social connection to people who never expected to have the economic security and social power that white men once enjoyed.
Old March 19, 2018, 06:37   #2
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson
let them take arms. the remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon & pacify them. what signify a few lives lost in a century or two? the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it’s natural manure.
History is rhyming again.
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018, 06:58   #3
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

Anything that uses Brit research for America is flawed and to be discarded.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018, 07:44   #4
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Absolute total bullshit.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018, 07:53   #5
bubbagump
Stand-Up Philosopher
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 21705
Behind the eight ball as usual for Sci Am, which incidentally is neither scientific or American. Because white men, at least the ones I know of ain't stockpiling guns and haven't for years. It's why the price is where it is, it's why Remington is in bankruptcy and others are teetering on it.

Nope, what we're stockpiling are the other supplies, first and foremost is ammunition & parts. A guy only needs one or two launchers, what ya run short of are things to feed 'em.
Old March 19, 2018, 08:16   #6
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
History is rhyming again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
Well,

Anything that uses Brit research for America is flawed and to be discarded.

Thorack
This.
Old March 19, 2018, 08:16   #7
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
Three percent huh?

That number sounds vaguely familiar...

The not so hidden premise of this story is that anyone wanting a gun has an irrational fear of other races and is overly anxious about life. Clearly, anyone who wants to own a gun isn't emotionally stable enough to own one.

The other implication, that the gun increases the likelihood of the suicide/ domestic homicide is not grounded in reality either. They imply that removing the gun will somehow reduce the overall number of homicides/suicides when all it will do is reduce the number of homicides/suicides by gun.
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018, 08:24   #8
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
being concerned about negative change is not "fear", nor is it unreasonable.

o'negro policy has resulted in an increased exposure of peaceful suburban and country-side people to an increasingly violent and demonstrably more dangerous people. namely, by the de-urbanization of blacks and the importation of mestizos and middle easteners.

the demographic shift arranged in recent years by the political elite has created a risk to the indigenous population that is being answered by a populace that is expanding their personal power and taking a defensive posture by the acquisition of personal weapons.

viewed from that perspective, how is the action of the majority unreasonable?

it is not unreasonable. it is prudent.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018, 10:27   #9
C2A1
Registered

FALaholic #: 15514
Use to love SA when I was a kid in the 60s. Built my first laser (He-Ne) following their instructions. However, when they were bought by a German company (https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ble-a-bow-tie/) they went down hill.
So British author in a German magazine. No bias there.
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018, 10:40   #10
OLDMANPBK
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
Strange. I just buy them because I like them. There must be something wrong with me.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018, 11:19   #11
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Well some reality to all this.

Men are usually the ones buying the family cars
Sure, it's honey's vehicle but who bought it ?
Yeah most often the Man.

Guns, most often same deal
Man buys gun either gives it to his lady or she straight up decrees possession of it. Come on guys, it's happened to a bunch of us.

Further, think in terms of a divorce decree
the Court often see firearms as community property
yeah just like vehicles.
In short the amount of arms jointly owned by gals & guys is just stupidly under reported. If we did a study on who bought cars the results will be similarly skewed and screwed.
The issue is that these studies are based on who signed the 4473, nothing more or less
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018, 11:24   #12
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Scientific American and Discover have become vehicles for pushing the 'settled science' of the extreme political left...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018, 11:45   #13
ratas calientes
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMANPBK View Post
Strange. I just buy them because I like them. There must be something wrong with me.
Same here. Fascinating machines.
Old March 19, 2018, 12:19   #14
Col. Bat Guano
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 39349
That's the end game -- a Catch-22 invented by the leftists. If you like guns, there must be something wrong with you. If there is something wrong with you, you shouldn't be allowed to have guns.
Old March 19, 2018, 13:12   #15
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Just a paper written up on a precocieved notion. There are many more reasons to buy guns than the paper said so by leaving those out its a worthless study right up there with globalwarming.
Old March 19, 2018, 13:30   #16
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
White men collect and stockpile guns because of naturally occuring redheaded wimmen!

They are dangerous and roam around our communities freely looking for easy targets to pick off, pick clean, and they are plain dangerous to MAN kind and have been for ages.

Redheaded wimmen are a threat only to white men, mostly, and we have learned to protect ourselves, the survival of our species depends upon it.
Old March 19, 2018, 15:04   #17
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
They aren't "guns"..they are criminal extinguishers...
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018, 15:47   #18
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
The bias in the article is so stunning as to make one have no trust in the 'research'.

Stockpiling? Or maybe it's just collecting, because it's a hobby people enjoy.

Fear? Or maybe it's called 'being responsible' and 'preparing' for hazardous situations.

I bet a lot of white south african men wish they were 'fearful stockpilers' right about now....
Tak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2018, 15:56   #19
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
The bias in the article is so stunning as to make one have no trust in the 'research'.

Stockpiling? Or maybe it's just collecting, because it's a hobby people enjoy.

Fear? Or maybe it's called 'being responsible' and 'preparing' for hazardous situations.

I bet a lot of white south african men wish they were 'fearful stockpilers' right about now....
The South African white man, need far more gunmen to be able to do anything.
Tha best armed force infantry in the world, will fall in any straight up infantry battle, if outnumbered 50 to 0ne.
Just saying
Old March 20, 2018, 13:42   #20
martin35
un viejo gringo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939

For the same reason they masturbate,,, they can't help them selves,,, and they know what they like.
Ask a dumb question get a dumb answer.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2018, 14:25   #21
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
The South African white man, need far more gunmen to be able to do anything.
Tha best armed force infantry in the world, will fall in any straight up infantry battle, if outnumbered 50 to 0ne.
Just saying

yeah, tactics and logistics can only sustain you up to a certain point

shear numbers thrown at you as cannon fodder can quickly overwhelm you
(thats why we all should have a dozen claymores "dropkicked")
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2018, 14:26   #22
Trypcil
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
This is an example of science being used as political leverage !
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2018, 15:11   #23
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Because we're smart - minorities commit more crime and an increasingly minority-majority country is a dangerous place for white folks?

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2018, 15:28   #24
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
Because we're smart - minorities commit more crime and an increasingly minority-majority country is a dangerous place for white folks?
And something folks over look, a lot, those minorities committing murder, they are gaining experience and the proper mind set to bear down on a human target and kill them.

Never underestimate the enemies overall experience levels when it comes to killing others.

They may not be able to teach math, run a computer, make water flow from pipes, but killing is easy when done on a regular basis.

It takes a while to get that experience.
Many patriots are going to find out this hard lesson when they go up against these highly experienced gang bangers in a gun battle.
Old March 20, 2018, 21:44   #25
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
And something folks over look, a lot, those minorities committing murder, they are gaining experience and the proper mind set to bear down on a human target and kill them.

Never underestimate the enemies overall experience levels when it comes to killing others.

They may not be able to teach math, run a computer, make water flow from pipes, but killing is easy when done on a regular basis.

Many patriots are going to find out this hard lesson when they go up against these highly experienced gang bangers in a gun battle.
I put our marksmanship skills over theirs, but I'm sure they are far more blasé about blowing someone away.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2018, 22:40   #26
Enquiring Minds
Registered

FALaholic #: 209
When ... sociologist Angela Stroud studied applications for licenses to carry concealed firearms ... she found applicants were overwhelmingly dominated by white men

When ... sociologist Angela Stroud studied applications for astronauts ... she found applicants were overwhelmingly dominated by white men

When ... sociologist Angela Stroud studied applications for licenses to be Professional Engineers ... she found applicants were overwhelmingly dominated by white men

When ... sociologist Angela Stroud studied applications for security clearances ... she found applicants were overwhelmingly dominated by white men

Tell me when you spot the pattern... or see anything at all surprising.

The "Injury Control" Research Center at Harvard Far-Left University.

Wow, Orwell by way of Trotsky in the naming of that so-called "research" center... I'm sure you've all heard of it... bet your primary care doc has too. YEP, I'll bet they're making great strides in preventing lower-back injuries in America's blue collar workers... oh, WAIT!... SURPRISE!... it's ALL ABOUT GUN CONTROL PROPAGANDA!

Sociology, now there's a brain-bending rigorous "science"...
Old March 20, 2018, 23:10   #27
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
I put our marksmanship skills over theirs, but I'm sure they are far more blasé about blowing someone away.
Our arms, our training, our accuracy, and on and on says we should have the overall advantage with gang bangers every day of the week.

But none of that is day to day shootings and killing many of these bastards are racking inside the inner cities.

A couple of days, I can teach anyone to handle, hit targets, and properly take care of an M16.
That is not kill or be killed experience.

I would expect that many of these bangers have more up close killing experience than many combat vet infantry men, and all without being concerned about any such "rules of engagement".
Their only rules of engagement, kill the target.

They also live day to day in a high threat environment. Most all of us don't, which is a good thing.

These bangers are living in a war zone 24/7 now, can survive in that war zone, and are highly experience at killing.

Going to take a while, a lot of casualties, to gain experience on par with what they possess today.

I'd rather go up against trained soldiers vs gang bangers/hoodlums.
Predictable to some extent, vs, oh hell, they're liable to do anything without warning.
And I'd avoid all conflicts in any urban areas, if at all possible.

Just saying.
Old March 22, 2018, 22:39   #28
Enquiring Minds
Registered

FALaholic #: 209
Quote:

I dispute that "experience". These gang-bangers have "pistolcraft" that works only at point-blank range, or expends an insane amount of rounds/hit in drive-by mode. Of using a rifle they know next to nothing. Of infantry squad tactics they know LESS than nothing. And they have never stood their ground in any "gun battle"... hit-while-running against the unarmed and unsuspecting are their only "victories".

If "The Troubles" should come, and patriots bring EBRs while the scum bring sideways Glocks, one more of society's problems will be cured in short order.
Old March 22, 2018, 23:40   #29
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enquiring Minds View Post
I dispute that "experience". These gang-bangers have "pistolcraft" that works only at point-blank range, or expends an insane amount of rounds/hit in drive-by mode. Of using a rifle they know next to nothing. Of infantry squad tactics they know LESS than nothing. And they have never stood their ground in any "gun battle"... hit-while-running against the unarmed and unsuspecting are their only "victories".

If "The Troubles" should come, and patriots bring EBRs while the scum bring sideways Glocks, one more of society's problems will be cured in short order.
I have no idea how much direct up close combat experience you have, but something I learned as a wee lad, never ever underestimate your enemy, and as I was taught, and then learned first hand, going up against trained killers with a few lifetimes of direct combat experience, as my first foes were, nothing is a substitute for direct experience and a willing attitude to kill.

Half, most likely far more than half, as in, never been trained properly, zero in your face kill or be kill will be even somewhat effective at first.

If 35 or 40% of these patriots with EBR's even fire their weapon the first go around, it would shock me.
If that 35 or 40% that does pull the trigger, suspect few rounds will even hit close to their intended target, any higher rate than this would also be a pleasant surprised.

Shooting paper as they say, never shoots back at you.

Put another way, deer hunting/season would be far more fun to watch, if the deer were able to shoot back.

Now the above is simply known rates of trained people, might be different, one never knows with deer and duck hunters.
Old March 22, 2018, 23:46   #30
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enquiring Minds View Post

Forgot to add.

Arnold Palmer could beat about anyone in his prime with a cheap ass set of Kmart Golf clubs, like shooting golf, or shooting people, experience counts far more that the equipment every time.

The "scum" will also be very adaptive, and a "side ways" fired Glock pistol is just as deadly as one done the "proper way", whatever that "proper way" may be.
Old March 23, 2018, 09:10   #31
Nick H.
Registered

FALaholic #: 9591
Seems like one of the handicaps the good guys have is they have an aversion to killing innocents. The bad guys are not always wearing uniforms that identify them as bad guys. They blend in with the non-combatants, they hide behind the non-combatants. They will use women and children to convince the good guys to drop their guard. A woman holding a small child approaches you to ask directions while the bad guys make their approach from behind... In Vietnam, little kids walked up to soldiers offering to sell them a cold drink, then blew up in their faces. If civil war comes to America, it could be similar.

Evil plays by different rules than the rest of us and I know most of the civilized people in this country will make mistakes before we adapt. It would be best to win the cold war before it goes hot. We need to conquer CNN, MSNBC and a dozen other propaganda sources if we wish to avoid the destruction of our nation. I can't see how to do that at this time.
Old March 23, 2018, 09:38   #32
medicmike
Get off my lawn
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick H. View Post
Seems like one of the handicaps the good guys have is they have an aversion to killing innocents. The bad guys are not always wearing uniforms that identify them as bad guys. They blend in with the non-combatants, they hide behind the non-combatants. They will use women and children to convince the good guys to drop their guard. A woman holding a small child approaches you to ask directions while the bad guys make their approach from behind... In Vietnam, little kids walked up to soldiers offering to sell them a cold drink, then blew up in their faces. If civil war comes to America, it could be similar.

Evil plays by different rules than the rest of us and I know most of the civilized people in this country will make mistakes before we adapt. It would be best to win the cold war before it goes hot. We need to conquer CNN, MSNBC and a dozen other propaganda sources if we wish to avoid the destruction of our nation. I can't see how to do that at this time.

I also would like to figure out how to diffuse this cold war that we are in. Sadly I feel it is a lost cause. If it does kick off it will be like nothing this country has ever seen.

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018, 14:54   #33
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmike View Post

I also would like to figure out how to diffuse this cold war that we are in. Sadly I feel it is a lost cause. If it does kick off it will be like nothing this country has ever seen.
Nick has it right!

What "normal" people SEE as evil tactics, are used by the enemy daily to do the one job they are determine to do, which is to kill you and win the conflict.

Some of us can shout at the mountain tops to listen, be prepared, but until one actually faces up to this "new normal" experiences it first hand, learns to identify the threats, the learning curve for newby's is always drenched in their own and others blood.

For 22 of my 24 years on AD, my job was to try and teach newby's how to stay alive in some respect or another, the first two years, were old timers keeping my young pecker-wood ass alive while I did all this stupid shit myself.

You can teach people, don't you dare walk down that established pathway, or cross that open area, but until they get shot up doing it, or blown up, newby's always believe the shit can't happen to them.

So people will continue to believe they are superior, until some barefooted little bastard with a Kmart 2 dollar knife puts them into the ground, takes their fancy shit, and moves on killing other dumb asses that won;t listen.

Shit ain;t on me anymore.
Old March 23, 2018, 15:00   #34
bubbagump
Stand-Up Philosopher
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 21705
To address the original question, if they gotta ask they'll never understand.
Old March 23, 2018, 15:02   #35
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
To address the original question, if they gotta ask they'll never understand.
Old March 23, 2018, 15:17   #36
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
The answer is actually pretty easy

Why Are White Men Stockpiling Guns? Because it is redneck ART!

We don't collect paintings, fur coats, Persian rugs like the rich and spoiled.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018, 15:27   #37
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
I have found, with the years. If I see trouble coming and identify it, I adopt a kill or be killed mindset, and have on more than one occasion come very very close to pulling the trigger. When I am surprised, I am a sheep in wolfs clothing....

I try and not get surprised, don't fall for these "hey buddy, have a buck, cigarette, etc" ruses. A South African policeman friend of mine taught me a long time ago that you do not have to pay attention to everybody, just to the people that pay attention to you. And the people pretending not to pay attention to you, but try and get inside your comfort zone.

Thankfully we do not live in a society YET where we have to fear going to bed at night, because somebody may do a home invasion, burn the place down, or have a rocket come from the sky and obliterate you. When that time comes, you will not be able to maintain a 24 hour lookout, those that can organize with friends and family will have a much better life expectancy.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018, 15:36   #38
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
I have found, with the years. If I see trouble coming and identify it, I adopt a kill or be killed mindset, and have on more than one occasion come very very close to pulling the trigger. When I am surprised, I am a sheep in wolfs clothing....

I try and not get surprised, don't fall for these "hey buddy, have a buck, cigarette, etc" ruses. A South African policeman friend of mine taught me a long time ago that you do not have to pay attention to everybody, just to the people that pay attention to you. And the people pretending not to pay attention to you, but try and get inside your comfort zone.

Thankfully we do not live in a society YET where we have to fear going to bed at night, because somebody may do a home invasion, burn the place down, or have a rocket come from the sky and obliterate you. When that time comes, you will not be able to maintain a 24 hour lookout, those that can organize with friends and family will have a much better life expectancy.
We have tons of people in this country that know, been there and done that, make friends with them and listen to them.
They will help keep more of your people alive.
Old March 23, 2018, 23:15   #39
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
My question is....why aren't more doing it?
Men are gunning up, we just have a lot of males running around now a days.

Men and males ain't tha same thing.

Sometimes, males ain't even males any more.
Old March 24, 2018, 07:25   #40
falmouth308
Registered

FALaholic #: 19133
The article is from the October 2017 issue. After reading the opinions of the writer I noticed that the data used was from actual crime victims and not the general public as John Lott had done. This choosing to use only actual police incidents to PROVE that guns do not make society safer is flawed and was pointed out by Lott. This was due to people who thwarted crime do not really consider themselves a victim of crime, since no crime was committed.

I used a gun to stop someone who opened the door of my truck with an unnatural desire to ‘kick some’s ass’ for a drunken misconception of the actual events. I did not report this to the police but this would have been a crime if I had been beaten up!

After Scientific American switched to a new editor in chief the magazine has been slanted towards the mindless portion of the public. Science Agenda is used in every one of their publications from 2014 which is an oxymoron. Science is the ‘disciplined practice of observation applied to the study of a process’ weather it is nature or physics. An agenda is by definition a skewed process as there is some determination that the data must support a conclusion before the observation begins.

For years I used the journal to provide an overview of what is currently being focused on in science to allow me to keep up with the overall direction of spending. I focus on such a small portion of science that the overall view is nice to understand on how my perspective can be used in the biological portion of x-ray scattering and diffraction. The magazine is now a platform for the left-wing extremists to demonstrate how we need to change government to give them more money to study junk science.
Old March 24, 2018, 11:06   #41
STG_58_guy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 65886
Quote:
I have no idea how much direct up close combat experience you have, but something I learned as a wee lad, never ever underestimate your enemy, and as I was taught, and then learned first hand, going up against trained killers with a few lifetimes of direct combat experience, as my first foes were, nothing is a substitute for direct experience and a willing attitude to kill.

Half, most likely far more than half, as in, never been trained properly, zero in your face kill or be kill will be even somewhat effective at first.

If 35 or 40% of these patriots with EBR's even fire their weapon the first go around, it would shock me.
If that 35 or 40% that does pull the trigger, suspect few rounds will even hit close to their intended target, any higher rate than this would also be a pleasant surprised.

Put another way, deer hunting/season would be far more fun to watch, if the deer were able to shoot back.

Now the above is simply known rates of trained people, might be different, one never knows with deer and duck hunters.
These thugs only kill 6000 people a year and not usually in a gunfight. There are millions of them. I don't think they have as much experience as you think.

There are a few killers out there no doubt. We have a few as well. I'm betting on us.
STG_58_guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018, 22:09   #42
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665

this question is really postulated as a rhetorical

a truthful answer is really not wanted because it will expose the underlying narrative

straight white conservative christian males are under fire from every possible place, angle, group …….

it is a natural response to become defensive in the face of such a onslaught
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018, 22:34   #43
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
You are in the top 3% if you have 17 according to the stats. Harvard study.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018, 22:43   #44
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Quote:

Just remember this line from a great piece of literature:

After The First One The Rest Are Free! ATFOTRAF.....

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018, 22:48   #45
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post

Yep

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018, 22:59   #46
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post

With most folks, that's really all it is, just getting past your first gun battle, your first time out, maybe takes a couple of trips with some people, after that, most will settle down and do their jobs, fire on their assigned lanes, hit what they are aiming at.

The prefect ratio is one to one the first go around, one old pro, that might be 19 yrs old, and one newby.

Two or three trips to this well, everyone is an old pro.

One thing I learned the hard way, newbys will either fire to quickly or not at all, with most, becoming spectators and not firing their weapons the first time.
If the guy beside them is good, ok kid, fire only when I fire, pick your target, then they do far better faster.