Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old March 17, 2018, 09:39   #1
croftonaviation
Motivated underachiever
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64580
Steyr M95/31 questions

So in cleaning out the surplus rifle corner at work I came upon a Steyr built 1895 straight pull rifle that was latter cut down into a carbine. The rifle is in rather unloved condition, is missing the rear sight leaf, and looks like it fought in 2 wars and lost both times. The H stamp on the barrel and KAB stamp on the stock should make this a early 1930’s Hungarian rework according to what I have read. The barrel has been replaced and there are no dates on it or the receiver. There are no import marks that are visible although I have not taken it out of the stock.

Interestingly the buttplate has a number stamped quite heavily into it. It is NO then 5 or 6 didgits that do not correspond to the sn. Any ideas what organization stamped the butt plates like this? Also does anyone know if a regular 1895 bayonet will fit these? Lastly I am assuming a front sight hood (which is missing) is complete unobtainable. I have been offered the rifle for what the store has in it which is $80. I don’t think I can really go wrong at that price and I like the battle field pick up look, especially in axis power rifles.

Thanks

Tom
Old March 17, 2018, 11:57   #2
Goose52
Registered

FALaholic #: 4994
I've owned a Steyr M95 long rifle for over 30 years but have never had any of the carbine variants so I can't help with your specific questions.

Are you buying this as a wallhanger or do you want to shoot it? If you want to shoot it, you might try sourcing the rear sight leaf - without that, no reason to buy the rifle.

THEN, the 8x56R is an odd duck. The good news is that modern ammo is now available, as is brass and .329" bullets from Grafs. Availability can be spotty however. When I first bought my M95, I shot the 1938 German surplus ammo, then reloaded those berdan cases with either a .331 cast bullet or a swaged-down .338 bullet. It took some effort to shoot the 8x56R back then.

Anyway, not trying to rain on your parade, just offering up some things to think about to guide your decision...
Old March 17, 2018, 12:36   #3
croftonaviation
Motivated underachiever
Contributor

I found the rear sight with the spring and pin for $25 on ebay. I know ammo is an issue but I handload and cast so I'm not to worried. it cant be too much worse than 8mm nambu or 7.35 carcano.

thanks for the input

tom
Old March 17, 2018, 13:03   #4
Goose52
Registered

FALaholic #: 4994
Sounds like you're good to go then.

BTW - I'm a "Douglas Man" - hiring into the Long Beach plant in 1978...and retiring (from Boeing) in 2009...
Old March 17, 2018, 18:15   #5
packratt
Registered

FALaholic #: 7781
You might check with bookertbab. He had some surplus 8x56R on the enblock clips that you will need.
packratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018, 20:25   #6
randy762ak
Registered

FALaholic #: 25888
Dont worry about ammo---Just get say, 50 Rnds Thats all you will need --You shoot 25 rounds -Rub your shoulder ,,Go get some Advil and return home ,,You decide to keep the other 25 rounds for collect ability to go with the gun !
randy762ak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018, 22:52   #7
croftonaviation
Motivated underachiever
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy762ak View Post
Dont worry about ammo---Just get say, 50 Rnds Thats all you will need --You shoot 25 rounds -Rub your shoulder ,,Go get some Advil and return home ,,You decide to keep the other 25 rounds for collect ability to go with the gun !
LOL, I have heard that. Iíve got 2 boxís of 1930ís brass on clips, and one box of modern stuff thatís probably all I need. I donít get to shoot most of my rifles but I enjoy them anyhow.

But I have to find a bayonet for this thing. Iím weird like that, if it came with one I want one. Anyhow they look way cooler in my gun cabinet with a bayonet fixed in place.