yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&L View Post
I'm sayin' don't get all skeered bout no ships

or EMPs
Excited,,,naw,,,paying a little attention to all of these possibilities,,,sure.

Some virus or just a big old dumb rock falling out of the sky is more likely than anything else.

Mother nature remains,,,the worlds number one serial killer.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2019, 13:36   #1053
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 15514
Well, I'm just the messenger here. I have sat in enough meetings ( actual tests, economic/political briefings) to form my opinion on the matter. COG includes bio issues and rocks from space briefings but mankind is nearly always the major factor and logic doesn't always have the upper hand. But that is just me.
For entertainment today:
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/628ec...25f29fd1a4.pdf
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2019, 13:41   #1054
starbuck
Registered

FALaholic #: 26466
Grid down would likely be the first move in a patriot/globalist conflict. Its extremely vulnerable and an easy target.
Old August 29, 2019, 14:04   #1055
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
Well, I'm just the messenger here. I have sat in enough meetings ( actual tests, economic/political briefings) to form my opinion on the matter. COG includes bio issues and rocks from space briefings but mankind is nearly always the major factor and logic doesn't always have the upper hand. But that is just me.
For entertainment today:
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/628ec...25f29fd1a4.pdf
Wow!!!!

Old August 29, 2019, 20:12   #1056
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&L View Post
What country has the EMP strike capability? Not many

What country would survive a retaliatory strike by the US? None

With an EMP or any other type of strike, initial success has to happen. If incoming missiles gets shot down, there'll still be a retaliatory strike.

A foreign country has to be successful with the strike and be able to survive a US counterstrike.
You guys are worrying about nothing.
We have been retaliating against the Taliban and ISIS for almost 20 years and the goat farmers are still a major player causing us to spend trillions of dollars and losing many lives. Rocket Boy is not going to launch an EMP device over USA because he knows we will turn his country to glass.

That said if a few gus could take a few months flying lessons and pull of 9/11 what could several dozen men do with cave man tactics used against the electrical and communications grid. One man could drop most of the internet to most major cities. It's been done before and soon as incident was mitigated almost every reference to three southern California counties losing land lines, cellular and internet service werepresentative snuffed to discourage others for looking for a single link or three that takes NYC or similar communications out for days.

One little 120v to 12v wall wart took down Baltimore's digital trunk system for police, fire and their computer linked traffic signals for over a day till a tech found the issue. I was called to a city not supposed to name who had sent officers to every truck stop in 100 mile radius and had rigged CB radios in all their police cars, fire trucks, ambulances and DOT trucks due to a leaking basement as a tropical storm dropped a ton of rain on them. Took a dozen men and got them functional using free banded ham gear in under 24 hours. HRO amd other vendors liked those purchase orders with overnight shipping. U.S. Border Patrol lost all comms along 1,000 miles of Canadian border when a steam vent ruptured and damaged their main underground trunk line.

Give me two dozen willing men and could create situations on blue sky days using nothing but hardware store tools to plunge cities into chaos or worse. One city would be easy to virtually destroy with three or four two/three man teams. In the name of making their city safer they just increased the death toll and damage done with a few "water leaks". Fear the idelogically committed small groups with imagination.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 03, 2019, 11:21   #1057
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

To understand the EMP threat, you must look at where it may come from. We are at a crossroads at this moment and we are at war. We are fighting against two groups which do not accept our western idea of life. We all know what Islam is about but China is another deal. They can accept only one outcome, win at any cost.
I recommend this read. My wife is Mrs mellow yet after reading it became seriously concerned. We have this BS Mueller investigation, yet Building 57 is deep inside US politics , especially at the local levels in Kali and Seattle.
Just FYI:
https://buy.aisuperpowers.com/buy/ai-superpowers
Old September 04, 2019, 13:04   #1058
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Schroeder is a physicist and biblical scholar who teaches at the College of Jewish Studies in Jerusalem. He's one of several scientists trying to reconcile the ancient writings of the Bible with science, starting with the big one: Did God create the universe in six days, resting on the seventh? Or was it born in a fiery "big bang" billions of years ago?

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth," reads the story of creation described in Genesis, the first book of the Bible. Schroeder, who earned two Ph.D.s from MIT, says those opening chapters are descriptions of the big bang itself. They are, as he says, "identical realities."

His thesis hinges on the fact that time is not a constant: It's relative, at least according to*Albert Einstein. Schroeder insists that the biblical calendar begins with the appearance of Adam on the sixth day, not with the creation of the world. "Relativity," he says, "has proven the flexibility of time during those six pre-Adam days of Genesis."

Schroeder is the author of several books, including the just released "God According to God: A Physicist Proves We've Been Wrong About God All Along." But it's his 20-year-old "Genesis and the Big Bang" -- which seeks to reconcile the Bible with physics, cosmology and evolution -- that's still shaking the scientific and religious communities.

Quote:
3*First of all, I want you to know that in the last days men will laugh at the truth. They will follow their own sinful desires.*4*They will say, “He promised to come again. Where is He? Since our early fathers died, everything is the same from the beginning of the world.”*5*But they want to forget that God spoke and the heavens were made long ago. The earth was made out of water and water was all around it.*6*Long ago the earth was covered with water and it was destroyed.*7*But the heaven we see now and the earth we live on now have been kept by His word. They will be kept until they are to be destroyed by fire. They will be kept until the day men stand before God and sinners will be destroyed.

8*Dear friends, remember this one thing, with the Lord one day is as 1,000 years, and 1,000 years are as one day.*9*The Lord is not slow about keeping His promise as some people think. He is waiting for you. The Lord does not want any person to be punished forever. He wants all people to be sorry for their sins and turn from them.*10*The day of the Lord will come as a robber comes. The heavens will pass away with a loud noise. The sun and moon and stars will burn up. The earth and all that is in it will be burned up.

11*Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, you should think about the kind of life you are living. It should be holy and God-like.*12*You should look for the day of God to come. You should do what you can to make it come soon. At that time the heavens will be destroyed by fire. And the sun and moon and stars will melt away with much heat.*13*We are looking for what God has promised, which are new heavens and a new earth. Only what is right and good will be there.
Quote:
While most people think of the big bang as an explosion in space, scientists use the term to describe the beginning of space, time, matter and energy. The Bible describes a few key characteristics of the universe that scientists now have the ability to measure. At least five biblical writers describe an expanding universe (e.g. Job 9:8; Psalm 104:2; Isaiah 40:22; 42:5; 44:24; 45:12; 48:13; 51:13; Jeremiah 10:12; 51:15; and Zechariah 12:1). Scripture also talks about the constancy of the laws of physics, most explicitly stated in Jeremiah 33:25. Genesis 1:1 and Hebrews 11:3 declare that the universe*began*to exist (thus required a Beginner). Romans 8:18-21 speaks of a pervasive law of decay. These four characteristics—a singular beginning, cosmic expansion, and constant laws of physics including the law of decay—define a big bang universe. The Bible leaves many details such as the expansion rate and the strengths of the laws for us to measure. This correspondence between the biblical description of the universe, authored thousands of years ago, and the best scientific understanding of the universe provides strong evidence for supernatural inspiration of the words of the Bible.
As quantum physics and study of the universe says the universe was formed in a series of events called the "big bang" during which an phenomenon known as "hyper-imflation" where the universe was actually expanding at speeds well in excess of the speed of light and there is a finite end of the universe in which it will likely start over again it seems more and more physics, astronomy and math advances along with archeology proving much of the words of giants walking the earth and angels taking human brides pretty flood bottom line is we all will die, go for judgement then in the recreated perfect universe all good things known to man will be available to us and we will live in peace praising the Lord.

All is good to me but between now and then I am going with the "let he who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one" in bulk so can hand out swords to friends who may have lost theirs or not been well enough prepared. Read about the last days in Revelation and whether believe in pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation or post-tribulation odds are we are going to have a pile of cap to survive during the process. I am preparing for a mega pile of cap and have a huge stock of Bibles as well as firearms. Actually am a member of a group that distributes 80 million Bibles per year and ensures most hotel rooms and hospital rooms have one as well. Playing on the winning side...
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old September 04, 2019, 13:29   #1059
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Actually am a member of a group that distributes 80 million Bibles per year and ensures most hotel rooms and hospital rooms have one as well.
So it was you!
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 04, 2019, 13:48   #1060
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
So it was you!
Damn,,,,I got the wood pile,,,if you got some rope and fuel oil!!!!!

Old September 04, 2019, 19:07   #1061
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Damn,,,,I got the wood pile,,,if you got some rope and fuel oil!!!!!
You Mormons are giving us a run for the money these days putting the book of Mormon in motel rooms. Some hotels now have "no Bible rooms" like no smoking rooms. Hilton Inn decided to not participate with the Gideon hotel Bible ministry a few years back and informed us would not be allowing them anymore. Number one rule of a Gideon is never talk to a member of the press. If we are distributing Bibles and newspaper, television, internet blogger or any press member asks us a question we refer them to our national headquarters in Tennessee as we pack up and leave.

With 250,000 members if 25 were interviewed each has his own beliefs and reasons for joining the ministry and not all are current on facts so we just shut up and shuffle along rather than have some elderly member in early onset Alzheimers babble misinformation that is primted or broadcast then propogated and hurts the ministry. From day we join till last meeting attend before we die we are constantly reminded if harassed leave, asked questions leave, asked to leave then leave.

In most of Georgia we still give them out in public schools but we set up in library and an announcement is made if want a Bible then go to library and we hand them out but do not openly witness to the kids. Amazing like the Boy Scouts now, about 1/3 of the kids say never owned a Bible and don't know of one in their home when thank us for it. Not hurting anyone as its a good read and great historical document.

In Boy Scouts now when do our semi annual marksmanship training over 50% of the kids first contact with a firearm was in the Boy Scouts. Many take to it like a duck to water, some are plain terrified and have to break them in groups. As I work with several troops learn the kids who know guns and safety well and put them in charge of sub groups of kids that have been through at least one marksmanship cycle and just make sure they are not exhibiting any bad habits while spend 75% of my time with the kids that are scared or just having lots of issues with technique.

As a troop moves kids through usually end up with several that are shooting rimfire competition and some skeet that make good assistant instructors while usually have one or two kids that spend more time with than all others to get them confident they are not going to die and able to shoot without flinching with a turn bolt 22lr. Next session they do better and if they stick with the program sometimes the worst kids at the start become my best assistant instructors.

Now back on topic:
Like many people I became dependent on my cell phone as a substitute for a watch. About a decade ago was climbing with two SEAL's that had met when they were students at Georgia Tech. Lots of Tech grads seem to go into the teams but while at Tech join the Outdoor Recreation Group that does everything from kyaking to rock climbing and even taken some of the more motivated ice climbing in western NC. Then as graduate and join the Teams seem to keep up with at least 1/2 to some degree. Both were wearing watches and I went and pulled cell phone from top of pack to check time and they gave me an earful. Since then have made sure all my regular used packs have a real watch and all my overt armor has one in case need to pull it on.

Right now have noticed and asked to discover at present they use the Luminox Evo Navy Seal Blackout and the Casio Men's G-Force Military Concept Black Digital Watch. The Casio can be bought on street for $59 bucks and when they are training have a lot of good timing features, especially if having to time two or three trainees while they poke them in the eyes with sharp sticks and drop rocks on them. Tell me the Casio is what more Delta Force guys they meet or operate in field with wear but on a mission the electronic Casio can develop a leak around one of the many buttons surrounding the dial on all corners.

When is mission time they claim the Luminox Evo Navy Seal Blackout is most used unless diving deep and use a stainless steel case watch. What they like about the plastic and carbon Blackout is simple, water resistant to 200 meters, tough as nails plus does not set off metal detectors at airports or create any electronic field if having to defuse or fuse something that might not like elactronics or accidentally making an electrical connection between two parts with watches case. The Luminox Blackout is $270 street and Midway just had their second sale on them at $183. Been using my personal account, wife's account and company account to bulk up my supply so all of my overt vests and gear hauling rigs have one strapped to it or in a pouch so when pull it on in a hurry when have a spare moment can slip the watch on.

One thing they all tell me is if use the Luminox as an EDC rough duty watch to send in for cleaning and service every two to four years or when/if a tritium marker comes loose. While they say everyone has a watch preference on a mission 1/3 of the watches will be Luminox Blackouts if going by water or expect water and 1/3 will be Casios in dry climates. They say run the Casio till it quits, leaks or breaks then buy another for $60. Now when I do my monthly charging of radios in our overt vests or gear carry rigs I synchronize all the watches. Have tried the Casio and don't like feeling for a bunch of small buttons with fat fingers, especially if wearing gloves.

The Suunto Cores are becoming popular because of the built in altimeter and compass. They do say have to recalibrate the compass and altimeter often but that is common with all electronic mountain devices. I still like my Thommen precision mechanical analogue Swiss made altimeters for up to 16,000 feet as better able to predict weather patterns or just more used to them after using over 30 years. I also have a mecanical Swiss made Opti-Treck 6000 Altimeter with barometer. When SHTF post EMP expect my Swiss mechanical devices to keep working.

Have been using altimeter/compass/watch multifeature wrist devices since first released. Have mostly owned Garmin and Suunto as kept up with advances in features and resolution. My latest is a Garmin Tactix Bravo which is a full on tactical watch with altimeter, compass and GPS built in to the trimmest size ever had for number of features plus tough construction, non refective finish, night vision mode and more for $550 retail but luckily the Garmin rep is an old climbing partner. He also hooked me up with the more popular Garmin Fenix 5 which is huge with a sapphire face and tons of training features like heart rate monitor, route tracking and more. Most go with the Fenix but I prefer my Tactix Bravo for my current needs.

How these will stand up to an EMP there is a lot of data out there that say smaller body worn devices will be more likely to survive an EMP. Have a plethora of older models that are big and clunky and best worn on lanyard around neck or on front strap of pack or front of your molly upside down so flip up and view as need. Can't wait for the next big upgrade to the Garmin Tactix Bravo as will get one from the rep and shop clearance sales on what will be the old model which I think rocks. If buy any device and have option for a sapphire screen of glass buy it.

Wife and I have both been running the Kyocera Duraphone Pros for about two years with no Otter Box or other protective carrier and even with me dropping mine on concrete, in gravel, off ladders and getting paint all over and having to bathe with mineral spirits both have yet to show a single scratch or crack and are still waterproof nor have ever "bricked" up. Just bought two more "refurbished" Duraphones for $39 with lay on contact chargers off flea bay with bad power ports but purchased new power/data ports for $12 along with new batteries and gasket sets for $14.99 which are now "like new" and fully functional for under $100 each and is the only smart phone that has survived over 18 months with me and the rest were in Pelican or Otter cases.

Duraphones were at one time only cell with milspec rating and my buddies in the teams, 75th Rangers and other such groups said at one time were either issued Duraphones for a mission or knew others who had used in field and said were indestructible though heavy as lead. Kyocera Duraphones will be in all our kits as long as compatable with phone system. Bet they will survive an EMP after opening two as lined with some sort of foil and sealed with gaskets and RTV.
Old September 04, 2019, 20:13   #1062
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
You Mormons are giving us a run for the money these days putting the book of Mormon in motel rooms.

Nice watch!!!!

As for "You Mormon's"

Ya missed ya target by this----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------much!

LDS members have deacons.

Some of us,,,have Rabbi's.

Nuthin but

Old September 05, 2019, 00:16   #1063
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Nice watch!!!!
As for "You Mormon's"
Ya missed ya target by this----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------much!
LDS members have deacons.
Some of us,,,have Rabbi's.
Nuthin but
Figured I would wind your watch. While Southern Baptist Association aka North American Mission Board (3rd largest disastor relief organization in the world) and LDS always work together well in disaster zones some other evengelical Christian organizations didn't and sometimes caught flack for how much work I did with LDS. Took their Boy Scouts out just like lcoal Baptist, Methodist, C.O.G. and others. Installed emergency radio stations in three temples, did ham cams and helped over 200 Mormon's get ham radio licenses including their general tickets and ran an emergency preparedness booth at the biggest temple in our ares grand opening "open house".

Even ran comms when they/y'all found the original WWII candy bomber who dropped candy to starving German kids following VE Day and did recreation with a German immigrant who as a kid stood under the decent path of the American bombers bringing in food and spooks to catch candy then did several flyovers throwing out candy. Know how much work it is to make a small parachute for several thousand candy bars?

Keep an eye out for the Midway sales on this Luminox Evo Navy Seal Blackout for $183 with free shipping. Been told it's a 20+ year watch with occasional cleaning and service. Now have five or six and still plan to add more as post EMP a group is going to need to coordinate time if have to fight for survival especially if working from sandtable plans and have minimal to no comms.

When under $200 it's the best post EMP watch for the money IMO and is so comfortable almost forget your wearing it.
Old September 05, 2019, 00:50   #1064
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

I'm "old school" Huey,,,got me a yellow face Seiko self winder chrono back in 1969.

EMP proof,,,before folks were concerned with EMP.

Still keeps perfect time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,of course today,,,,I need my reading glasses to see the time.

Old September 05, 2019, 08:15   #1065
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

1969 was the very first year a self windimg watch was released and with several Swiss and one Japamese company in the race Seiko won by a matter of about a month into the marketplace with their Seiko 5 Sports Timer which came about as a result of being official time keeper of the Olympics held in Japan during 1964 and having to release a true chronograph for race officials. Kicked them into high gear and from the automatic in 1969 to the Quartz in same year they carved a huge niche of the watch market.

Have a friend with what at the time was Seikos most desired self winder which was a college graduation gift in 1986. He wore it almost daily (had a white collar job that does not eat watches, knives or guns used as EDC for long periods of time by blue collar guys) and sent in as instructions said for cleaning and service which 22 years later was returned from an authorized Seiko service center saying it was worn beyond its ability to keep time to their standards so they cleaned it one last time and told him it was time for a new watch. Another friend with a Seiko self winder rented an electric jack hammer to demolish a cracked sidewalk at his house and after the end of day one with the jack hammer realized it was not working, sent in for repairs and told Seiko rep what he did and they said it could not be fixed and wearing it while running a jack hammer was not covered by warranty.

I can't wear a watch at work or it dies quickly. Biggest issues are chemicals we use for cleaning printing inks and had a friend kill a new nice watch of some brand wife gave as a gift as plucking a part out of the bottom of a five gallon bucket of parts cleaner when fell out of the parts basket just as he lifted clear of the solution. I keep a watch in my truck console and one on my rifle rated plate carrier that keep in truck. If need watch can pull from console or if grab plate carrier a watch is coming along for the ride.

Most good mechanical watches are accurate to +-5 seconds per day and why the Casio G Shock electronic watch is popular with special operations troops because not only is it cheap, its accurate basically for months or years. If running a mission timed to the second mechanicals have to be calibrated daily if not at least weekly. I calibrate my mechanicals once a month when charge the batteries on my radios and found my Luminox watches often are still less than five seconds off the atomic clock so leave them alone to reduce wear trying to nail them down to the second.

A lot of the quartz self winders which motion charges a capacitor will require a capacitor change on occasion. Also many confuse them with a true kinetic automatic like yours and don't realize the capacitor may not like an EMP. Best thing is just have a few spare Timex win up watches in one of your Faraday boxes. Expect my manuals to survive but if all my altimeter/compass/GPS watches fry will miss them but have enough manual altimeters to go with watches will survive. An altimeter and a watch add a huge amount of capabilites to people living in a cave man technological era.
Old September 05, 2019, 08:26   #1066
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
@ https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/628ec...25f29fd1a4.pdf

Quote:
Wow!!!!
QFT (Quoted For Truth)

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 05, 2019, 13:32   #1067
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
1969 was the very first year a self windimg watch was released and with several Swiss and one Japamese company in the race Seiko won by a matter of about a month into the marketplace with their Seiko 5 Sports Timer which came about as a result of being official time keeper of the Olympics held in Japan during 1964 and having to release a true chronograph for race officials. Kicked them into high gear and from the automatic in 1969 to the Quartz in same year they carved a huge niche of the watch market.

Have a friend with what at the time was Seikos most desired self winder which was a college graduation gift in 1986. He wore it almost daily (had a white collar job that does not eat watches, knives or guns used as EDC for long periods of time by blue collar guys) and sent in as instructions said for cleaning and service which 22 years later was returned from an authorized Seiko service center saying it was worn beyond its ability to keep time to their standards so they cleaned it one last time and told him it was time for a new watch. Another friend with a Seiko self winder rented an electric jack hammer to demolish a cracked sidewalk at his house and after the end of day one with the jack hammer realized it was not working, sent in for repairs and told Seiko rep what he did and they said it could not be fixed and wearing it while running a jack hammer was not covered by warranty.

I can't wear a watch at work or it dies quickly. Biggest issues are chemicals we use for cleaning printing inks and had a friend kill a new nice watch of some brand wife gave as a gift as plucking a part out of the bottom of a five gallon bucket of parts cleaner when fell out of the parts basket just as he lifted clear of the solution. I keep a watch in my truck console and one on my rifle rated plate carrier that keep in truck. If need watch can pull from console or if grab plate carrier a watch is coming along for the ride.

Most good mechanical watches are accurate to +-5 seconds per day and why the Casio G Shock electronic watch is popular with special operations troops because not only is it cheap, its accurate basically for months or years. If running a mission timed to the second mechanicals have to be calibrated daily if not at least weekly. I calibrate my mechanicals once a month when charge the batteries on my radios and found my Luminox watches often are still less than five seconds off the atomic clock so leave them alone to reduce wear trying to nail them down to the second.

A lot of the quartz self winders which motion charges a capacitor will require a capacitor change on occasion. Also many confuse them with a true kinetic automatic like yours and don't realize the capacitor may not like an EMP. Best thing is just have a few spare Timex win up watches in one of your Faraday boxes. Expect my manuals to survive but if all my altimeter/compass/GPS watches fry will miss them but have enough manual altimeters to go with watches will survive. An altimeter and a watch add a huge amount of capabilities to people living in a cave man technological era.

I about destroyed the face,,,,was working for a living back then,,,and my wife sent it back to the factory around mid 80's and they went through the thing and made it new.

Then in 1990/91,,,,it went back to "work" for a while.

My life's history could be told by that watch,,,been with me through the good and bad.

Since I retired,,,don;t wear a watch daily any more,,,but it sits on the counter,,,a good shake,,set the time,,,ready for whatever comes my way.

Old September 06, 2019, 17:34   #1068
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

When I graduated HS in 1970 my grandparents gave me a a Swiss Walthum watch. I was with me thick and thin for almost two decades and two crystals. In 1988 it took a hit from a high power UV laser which bleached the blue face ( Yes, I never wore a watch in the lab again. I got lucky.) It still works and sits in my desk. I have my grandfathers and fathers railroad watches and I will get the Walthum repaired so all will go to my son.
Old September 06, 2019, 17:36   #1069
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Got this in today. Sandia report on EMP. Seems Sandia agrees with DOD on EMP and at odds with the other DOE labs and EPRI.
https://energyworkshops.sandia.gov/w...re_Lavrova.pdf
Old September 06, 2019, 17:53   #1070
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
When I graduated HS in 1970 my grandparents gave me a a Swiss Walthum watch. I was with me thick and thin for almost two decades and two crystals. In 1988 it took a hit from a high power UV laser which bleached the blue face ( Yes, I never wore a watch in the lab again. I got lucky.) It still works and sits in my desk. I have my grandfathers and fathers railroad watches and I will get the Walthum repaired so all will go to my son.
I lost my original watch band,,,,when I lost the end of my right little finger and the pistol grip on my M16.

However,,,,Tha watch and finger,,,well,,,most of it,,, still work.

Old September 07, 2019, 05:25   #1071
DC
Registered

FALaholic #: 275
Quote:
Got this in today. Sandia report on EMP. Seems Sandia agrees with DOD on EMP and at odds with the other DOE labs and EPRI.
https://energyworkshops.sandia.gov/w...re_Lavrova.pdf
DOE agreeing that EMP is anything more than an excuse to get study money is absolutely remarkable!

DC

"Disarmament Relies on Cooperation"

Socialism is the Superhighway to Tyranny
DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2019, 08:08   #1072
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
I lost my original watch band,,,,when I lost the end of my right little finger and the pistol grip on my M16.

However,,,,Tha watch and finger,,,well,,,most of it,,, still work.
I'm sensing an interesting camp fire story.

Carlos Castenada
Old September 07, 2019, 10:04   #1073
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

I was going to say that about DOE but thought I'd be polite. DOE is one of those federal programs that needs to go away. As a former director of LLL told me, it's white man welfare. Remember, DOE was formed to solve the energy crisis in the late 70s. Bring the AEC back and send the rest packing. When you look at IP lawsuits DOE is #2 (NASA #1).
OK, off the soapbox and back to regular programing.
Old September 07, 2019, 10:11   #1074
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
Why not just truck a small nuke into a large city. Sure, you'll have a ground burst that'll limit its effectiveness a great deal but so what? The political reaction is what an enemy would want.

It would be incredibly difficult to find out who did it. Iran or North Korea would be blamed but there would be a long investigation that could take years. Retaliation would be almost undoable by that time.

Such an event would destroy the US economically and turn the government completely totalitarian.
Old September 07, 2019, 12:18   #1075
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

ID would be fairly straight forward using isotopic anaylsis. The submarine off Hawaii tells an interesting tale of using isotopes to throw off who built what but that requires some major technology games that NK or Iran doesn't have. An EMP burst would be difficult to tell who. A lunach from say the Gulf of Mexico or the Pacific off Mexico would basicly come in undetected.
If you look at WMDs that can disrupt the US it is the usual NBC. Nuclear is obvious but costs a lot and involves only certain players, Bio is cheaper and can be used different ways to impact the economy and Chem is cheapest and the new agents are extremely effective area denial weapons ( Wall Street, Commodity exchange, etc.).
Old September 07, 2019, 17:35   #1076
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
I'm sensing an interesting camp fire story.
Naw,,,,just goes to prove,,,keep ya hands away from flying high speed shiny little objects.

Good friend of mine got shot four times in his career,,,,each time,,dead off in his ass!

"Things""" can always be worst!!!!

Old September 07, 2019, 18:23   #1077
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Naw,,,,just goes to prove,,,keep ya hands away from flying high speed shiny little objects.

Good friend of mine got shot four times in his career,,,,each time,,dead off in his ass!

"Things""" can always be worst!!!!
It seems dot mil has been good to you.
Even so, a hearty "thanks for your service" to you and the other vets and active duty guys here.

Carlos Castenada
Old September 07, 2019, 18:49   #1078
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
It seems dot mil has been good to you.
Even so, a hearty "thanks for your service" to you and the other vets and active duty guys here.

It was the best "deal" I ever made.

They gave me an education,,HSD, BA, MA, MEd, and PHd
I gave them 24 yrs.

They allowed me to live outside this country for 17 yrs,,,learning about different peoples and seeing things and places most people only dream of.

The education,,,allowed me to make a very good living once I left the service,,which allowed me to take good care of my family.

And,,,all of that military "stuff",,,allowed me to retire fully on my 62nd birthday which most people can't do.

For me,,,and sure not for everyone,,,the military was the second best thing to ever happen to me,,,mama for 48 yrs,,,so far,,, being the best thing.

Old September 09, 2019, 19:14   #1079
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Saw this today.
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/newt...c-pulse-attack
Old Today, 12:12   #1080
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Israeli view of a nuclear Iran. Interesting he mentions missing nukes.
https://besacenter.org/perspectives-...uclear-strike/
Old Today, 12:48   #1081
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Israeli view of a nuclear Iran. Interesting he mentions missing nukes.
https://besacenter.org/perspectives-...uclear-strike/
That little country is about as well prepared as any on earth.

Those missing ones,,,,Russian????

Old Today, 13:51   #1082
C2A1
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

Appears so. From the taskforce:
Analysis on this topic from Dr. Pry: My guess is that most of the 51 missing nuclear weapons is a reference to the missing “suitcase nukes” about which Russian General Aleksandr Lebed warned Congress and the world in testimony before the House Armed Services Committee. Lebed was labeled a traitor by many in Russia for his disclosure, and died in an “accidental” helicopter crash in Siberia. Reza Kahlili also reported on Iran having tactical nuclear weapons from Russia, including at least one neutron artillery shell, that could be used for an enhanced-EMP attack. Iran no longer needs anyone’s missing nukes, as they can build their own, and probably already have.
Old Today, 14:48   #1083
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Appears so. From the taskforce:
Analysis on this topic from Dr. Pry: My guess is that most of the 51 missing nuclear weapons is a reference to the missing “suitcase nukes” about which Russian General Aleksandr Lebed warned Congress and the world in testimony before the House Armed Services Committee. Lebed was labeled a traitor by many in Russia for his disclosure, and died in an “accidental” helicopter crash in Siberia. Reza Kahlili also reported on Iran having tactical nuclear weapons from Russia, including at least one neutron artillery shell, that could be used for an enhanced-EMP attack. Iran no longer needs anyone’s missing nukes, as they can build their own, and probably already have.
I'd suspect,,,,those old Russian ones have degraded by now,,,,,by all accounts,,these things are sensitive,,,the arming/triggering,wiring, etc goes bad pretty quickly.